PDA

View Full Version : AJ Burnett

Logan
06-23-08, 10:47 AM
He's having a rough season sure, but with Wang out, how could you not be in favor of signing him? A guy with a 95 mph fastball and sick curve, I'm sure he'll get it together.

goin for 27
06-23-08, 10:49 AM
He is already on a team?

Hellsing
06-23-08, 10:51 AM
He's having a rough season sure, but with Wang out, how could you not be in favor of signing him? A guy with a 95 mph fastball and sick curve, I'm sure he'll get it together.

That's right.
The Yankees signed the WORST of the "Big 3" pitchers from the Florida Marlins 2003 WS team.
They should sign the OTHER pitcher that is always injured...complete the circle.

hatfieldms
06-23-08, 10:53 AM
He is already on a team?

That doesnt matter. I think they should also sign Pujols, Haren, and Tori Hunter and this team would be set!

Mr. Mxylsplk
06-23-08, 11:08 AM
Are you proposing the yanks try to sign him this off-season (assuming he opts out of his contract) or trade for him now? If the former, what does Wang's injury have to do with it? If the latter, what do you think would be a sensible trade offer?

THEBOSS84
06-23-08, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't touch Burnett.

BBombers85
06-23-08, 11:14 AM

Easy there Wolverine. Jays have him for this season.

Ynkcpt23
06-23-08, 11:15 AM
Are you proposing the yanks try to sign him this off-season (assuming he opts out of his contract) or trade for him now? If the former, what does Wang's injury have to do with it? If the latter, what do you think would be a sensible trade offer?

I don't think IMHO that there is a sensible trade for Burnett. The only sensible thing would be to sign him to a heavily weighted contract with incentives for starts and performance and minimum guaranteed $$. That would be the only way we should be interested in him.

YASS
06-23-08, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't touch Burnett.
Injury-wise, I'd probably be more leery of Burnett than I am of Rich Harden -- and Burnett can't match Harden's stuff even when he's perfectly healthy.

On the other hand, acquiring Burnett would be a sure way to keep him off the opponent's mound -- he's owned the Yankees over the last couple of years.

JohnnyDamonfan
06-23-08, 11:21 AM
Shouldn't this be in Trades and Rumors or Insidethelines II? I always thought this was players that were on the Yankees all ready. I wouldn't go near Burnett. Just for the sole purpose of him being injured all the time. But, this guy is a great pitcher when he's on. Am I the only one that would trade for him if only he wasn't so injured all the time? From what I heard he is/was a great pitcher but the constant injuries are holding him back.

Ynkcpt23
06-23-08, 11:21 AM
Injury-wise, I'd probably be more leery of Burnett than I am of Rich Harden -- and Burnett can't match Harden's stuff even when he's perfectly healthy.

On the other hand, acquiring Burnett would be a sure way to keep him off the opponent's mound -- he's owned the Yankees over the last couple of years.

You are inching close to Harden "fan-boy" status! :D Every chance you get you're slurping him!

b_joseph
06-23-08, 11:25 AM
AJ is one of those guys who I love. He's a bit like Marat Safin for me, continually lets you down but always enough talent to keep you interested.

At the present time though, he isnt worth the risk.

YASS
06-23-08, 11:26 AM
You are inching close to Harden "fan-boy" status! :D Every chance you get you're slurping him!
Alright, I admit it. I like Rich Harden a lot, and I don't care who knows it.

JohnnyDamonfan
06-23-08, 11:29 AM

Doesn't take much to own us though unfortunately. We get owned by young guys, old guys, lefties, righties, injured guys, healthy guys. WIth that logic we should aquire about 50 percent of the pitchers in the major leagues.:P ;)

Jeter Kid
06-23-08, 12:46 PM
Burnett would turn out to be the next Javy Vazquez on this team.

Pinstripe Pride23
06-23-08, 12:48 PM
Burnett would turn out to be the next Javy Vazquez on this team.

Yikes! No thanks.

R.V.47
06-23-08, 01:47 PM
AJ is one of those guys who I love. He's a bit like Marat Safin for me, continually lets you down but always enough talent to keep you interested.

At the present time though, he isnt worth the risk.

Id like to see what that risk is? Im sure Riccardi will ask for a ridiculous amount since he is a Billy Beane guy and thus Im sure hates the yankees.

gold23
06-23-08, 01:52 PM
There's no way Jays would deal him to the Yanks unless they got a humongous haul in return. Plus, even if it was another club I wouldn't give up a ton for a guy that is going to opt out and make much more money than he deserves in a few months. Forgetting about stuff for a second, he's simply not a good enough pitcher for that.

teknetic
06-23-08, 02:13 PM
Doesn't take much to own us though unfortunately. We get owned by young guys, old guys, lefties, righties, injured guys, healthy guys. WIth that logic we should aquire about 50 percent of the pitchers in the major leagues.:P ;)

You forgot got the "crappy guys" see; Corey Patterson, Josh Wilson, Ramon Hernandez, Joey Gathright, etc.

jeterlove
06-23-08, 02:36 PM
Awful attitude? check

Injury prone? check

ERA + of 75? check

46 BB + 96 Hits in 91 inning? check

Pass

Logan
06-23-08, 06:13 PM
Awful attitude? check

Injury prone? check

ERA + of 75? check

46 BB + 96 Hits in 91 inning? check

Pass

ERA under 4 for 4 straight years with about a strikeout per inning? Check

ColombiaYanksFan
06-23-08, 06:17 PM
Easy there Wolverine. Jays have him for this season.

so why is this even being discssed? Close this immediately.

Stick Michael
06-23-08, 06:22 PM
so why is this even being discssed? Close this immediately.

The thread title leaves a lot to be desired, but other than that the discussion remains relevant.

jeterlove
06-23-08, 06:26 PM
ERA under 4 for 4 straight years with about a strikeout per inning? Check

Then let's trade Joba for him!!1!

apalradio
06-23-08, 06:55 PM
What makes anyone think the Jays would trade him within the division? As much as teams try to rape us anyway, there is simply no way a negotiation for any Jays player even begins unless we start with Joba.

Metroidman
06-23-08, 07:14 PM

lol Dude I know you like Harden but based on stuff alone Burnett leaves Harden in the dust. Harden commands his stuff better though. And how are you more leery of Burnett? He's pitched so many more innings than Harden that its insane to think of him on Harden's level.

Ynkcpt23
06-23-08, 10:00 PM
lol Dude I know you like Harden but based on stuff alone Burnett leaves Harden in the dust. Harden commands his stuff better though. And how are you more leery of Burnett? He's pitched so many more innings than Harden that its insane to think of him on Harden's level.

Umm, I think you may have just made his argument for him. Burnett's health issues and lack of control make him beyond risky, esp. at the price the Jays will undoubtedly ask for. Harden scares the heck out of me because of his history, but he has stuff that at the very least compares favorably to Burnett without the attitude.

YASS
06-23-08, 10:00 PM
Burnett has managed to reach 200 innings exactly twice in 8 full years in the majors (excluding '99 and '00, when he presumably didn't spend the entire year with the major league club), so he's a consistent injury risk (much like Harden, but over a longer period of time).

Burnett at his best can match Harden's stuff, but he's so rarely at his best that it's hardly worth talking about.

Harden's command and stuff easily trump Burnett. Not even close.

Ynkcpt23
06-23-08, 10:16 PM
Burnett has managed to reach 200 innings exactly twice in 8 full years in the majors (excluding '99 and '00, when he presumably didn't spend the entire year with the major league club), so he's a consistent injury risk (much like Harden, but over a longer period of time).

Burnett at his best can match Harden's stuff, but he's so rarely at his best that it's hardly worth talking about.

Harden's command and stuff easily trump Burnett. Not even close.

I completely agree...slurper.

primetime714
06-23-08, 10:17 PM
I'll take Sabathia instead in the offseason.

And if we're going to trade for a SP at the deadline make it Bedard. He'll come at the most reasonable price.

Ynkcpt23
06-23-08, 10:26 PM

And if we're going to trade for a SP at the deadline make it Bedard. He'll come at the most reasonable price.

What makes you think that Sabathia will make it to the offseason as a FA? What if he gets traded to, say, the Cubs, and re-ups? Also, what makes you think that in the midst of the (potential) Mariners fire sale, that Bedard will be cheaper than any other pitcher on the market? He'll cost us plenty of minor league pitching, and he has not exactly had the best of seasons.

27IsNext
06-23-08, 10:50 PM
What makes you think that Sabathia will make it to the offseason as a FA? What if he gets traded to, say, the Cubs, and re-ups? Also, what makes you think that in the midst of the (potential) Mariners fire sale, that Bedard will be cheaper than any other pitcher on the market? He'll cost us plenty of minor league pitching, and he has not exactly had the best of seasons.

Why would he sign an extension when he's three months away from hitting it big in the free agent market? And where are the Cubs going to come up with the prospects to trade for him?

The Indians already said they won't be giving any team a 72-hour window to negotiate an extension. Seems to me like they might have a pretty good idea that C.C. intends to test the market no matter what, and don't want to have any deal killed by his refusal to agree to an extension.

teknetic
06-23-08, 10:57 PM

Bedard has been very good this year. The start where he gave up 9ER against us bloated his ERA.

Yankeesfan811
06-23-08, 11:12 PM
I have had a lot of respect for this game, as he can dominate a game on any given night.....

but his injury risk is way to high for me to want to sign him

JohnnyDamonfan
06-23-08, 11:40 PM
If Sabathia doesn't make it to the Free agency he doesn't make it to free agency. I'm more worried about the fact of Red Sox getting him. Then I am of us not getting him I mean can you imagine......

Red Sox rotation: Beckett, Sabathia, Dice-K, Lester, Masterson/Bucholz/etc.etc.

Now, if Sabathia was traded to a NL team at least we wouldn't have to worry about their scary lineup. Luckily our farm with pitchers is so deep that if by chance we didn't get Sabathia we have got plenty of guys that could be in the rotation instead. Yes, Sabathia is our best option but I think we might need a good first baseman a little bit more so I think Mark T. Should be our number 1 priority and then CC.

grizy
06-24-08, 03:20 AM
If we get Burnett, we'll have the most impressive pitching staff in the league... on our DL. Quite honestly, CC just doesn't strike me as the type of player to thrive in NYC so I am really not hot on gutting the farm for him at all.

mrmike98
06-24-08, 08:00 AM

Watch out for Bedard's attitude. Not exactly a positive and engaging person.

R.V.47
06-24-08, 01:31 PM
Watch out for Bedard's attitude. Not exactly a positive and engaging person.

Thats the report thats been coming out of Seattle but it may just be because he isnt happy out there.

Hellsing
06-24-08, 01:34 PM
Thats the report thats been coming out of Seattle but it may just be because he isnt happy out there.

Rain makes people sad. :(

mrmike98
06-24-08, 04:54 PM

I had heard that he ws not too friendly in Baltimore too.

YanksFan1992
06-24-08, 04:58 PM

No he's really just not a nice guy.

He refuses to talk to the media and when he does he answers a few questions at most and keeps things vague (he did this before the year as well).

He is probably a decent guy in private but in the public eye he has been terrible, which is probably why another team might be able to get him from Seattle for a lesser price than a pitcher like him deserves.

Bleacher_Creature
07-10-08, 11:01 AM
"For Burnett to waive his opt-out or no-trade rights, a club likely would need to give him either an extension or some other financial inducement, adding to a trade's degree of difficulty. Still, the Yankees always have liked Burnett, and might be more inclined than other clubs to assume financial risk."

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8328148/Notebook:-Will-Dodgers-ever-make-a-move?

I still think it's a long shot that the Jays trade Burnett within their division....

yankeebot
07-10-08, 11:06 AM
"For Burnett to waive his opt-out or no-trade rights, a club likely would need to give him either an extension or some other financial inducement, adding to a trade's degree of difficulty. Still, the Yankees always have liked Burnett, and might be more inclined than other clubs to assume financial risk."

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8328148/Notebook:-Will-Dodgers-ever-make-a-move?

I still think it's a long shot that the Jays trade Burnett within their division.... I generally agree but with them out of the race and his impending free agency, it really doesn't hurt them to do so and they potentially weaken whomever they trade with by getting some of their prospects.

R.V.47
07-10-08, 01:27 PM

I still think it's a long shot that the Jays trade Burnett within their division....

If the yanks liked him so much they couldve signed him when he was a FA. There are just to many red flags right now with him. His stuff is to goo to have an ERA in the 5's which really makes you wonder about him.

Bleacher_Creature
07-21-08, 11:46 AM
Yankees Eyeing A.J. Burnett? (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/yankees-eyeing.html)

Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi told Toronto reporters that he now doesn't expect to trade A.J. Burnett. But Burnett's Friday night start at Tampa Bay attracted more than a dozen scouts, including two from the Yankees. Several of the scouts in attendance didn't stay for the rest of the weekend series, a clear indication that they were in town strictly to watch Burnett.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

kan_t
07-21-08, 12:52 PM
Yankees Eyeing A.J. Burnett? (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/yankees-eyeing.html)

Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi told Toronto reporters that he now doesn't expect to trade A.J. Burnett. But Burnett's Friday night start at Tampa Bay attracted more than a dozen scouts, including two from the Yankees. Several of the scouts in attendance didn't stay for the rest of the weekend series, a clear indication that they were in town strictly to watch Burnett.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
He will likely opt out this year and he is going to be the third best starter in the FA market, besides C.C. and Sheets. So it is logical to scout him closely.

R.V.47
07-21-08, 01:46 PM
I dont but it that Riccardi isnt looking to trade Burnett, the Jays are a terrible offensive ball club, Burnett could land them decent hitting prospects and there is probably a zero percent chance that Burnett would re-sign with Toronto. It doesnt make sense that he would pass up this opportunity for draft picks.

R.V.47
07-29-08, 01:54 PM
This guy has been absolutely lights out his last few starts. Im surprised there arent more rumors surrounding him. I dont think we can get him but Cash has to at least look into it.

YanksFan1992
07-29-08, 01:55 PM
This guy has been absolutely lights out his last few starts. Im surprised there arent more rumors surrounding him. I dont think we can get him but Cash has to at least look into it.
Riccardi said the other day that the Jays wouldn't be trading Burnett.

R.V.47
07-29-08, 01:57 PM
Riccardi said the other day that the Jays wouldn't be trading Burnett.

That makes zero sense for Riccardi. The Jays are not going anywhere this year and its almost 100 percent certain AJ will opt out of his contract and sign elsewhere next year. Why not trade him while he is on a hot streak?

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 01:59 PM
That makes zero sense for Riccardi. The Jays are not going anywhere this year and its almost 100 percent certain AJ will opt out of his contract and sign elsewhere next year. Why not trade him while he is on a hot streak?

I can see the Tigers going for it and trading for AJ.

YanksFan1992
07-29-08, 02:01 PM

I can understand why the Jays want to keep him though. They've been hot lately and our only 7 games out of first, and with their pitching you never know.

themgmt
07-29-08, 02:11 PM
With their hitting, you do know.

edit: Marcum is back

McGowan is done for the year

Mr.Muhozi
07-29-08, 02:17 PM
i'd rather have halladay over AJ anyday but aj would not be a bad fit for us

NewEraYanks2527
07-29-08, 03:47 PM
i'd rather have halladay over AJ anyday but aj would not be a bad fit for us I'd trade most of the farm for Halladay.

Halladay
Joba
Wang
Pettitte
Mussina/Hughes

Yea I'd take that.