PDA

View Full Version : 6th starter needed on 6/28

PinstripeDynasty
06-19-08, 09:02 AM
I couldn't find this brought up anywhere...

Due to the doubleheader on 6/27, we need a 6th starting pitcher for the June 28th game against the Mets, don't we?

6/19-Chamberlain
6/20-Mussina
6/21-Giese
6/22-Pettitte
6/23-off

6/24-Rasner
6/25-Chamberlain
6/26-Mussina
6/27-Giese and Pettitte
6/28-?

Thoughts? Is this maybe why we picked up Ponson?

primetime714
06-19-08, 09:09 AM
That's not good. I hope Cashman wises up and gives one of the kids a shot over the likes of Ponson/Igawa/Karstens.

My vote goes for McCutchen. However I fear Cashman is going to go to one of the aforementioned veteran options. :mad:

bigjf
06-19-08, 09:14 AM
I have a feeling that will be Ponson. I can only hope he is released after. Even if he does well, it's tough to root for the guy.

primetime714
06-19-08, 10:40 AM
I have a feeling that will be Ponson. I can only hope he is released after. Even if he does well, it's tough to root for the guy.

Yea I agree that it will likely be Ponson. I don't think the team has any confidence in Igawa and Karstens has shown them nothing AAA. They also don't want to rush McCutchen or Horne.

My hope is that McCutchen has another impressive start and changes their minds about him being ready.

I could see us releasing Ponson fairly quickly because with Kennedy coming back and Aceves pushing for a spot in AAA there may be a log jam there. However I could always see us just cutting Karstens and/or moving Igawa to bullpen.

BRNXBMRS
06-19-08, 10:51 AM
That's not good. I hope Cashman wises up and gives one of the kids a shot over the likes of Ponson/Igawa/Karstens.

My vote goes for McCutchen. However I fear Cashman is going to go to one of the aforementioned veteran options. :mad:

I agree, one of the kids should get a chance.

Ynkcpt23
06-19-08, 11:03 AM
Yea I agree that it will likely be Ponson. I don't think the team has any confidence in Igawa and Karstens has shown them nothing AAA. They also don't want to rush McCutchen or Horne.

My hope is that McCutchen has another impressive start and changes their minds about him being ready.

I could see us releasing Ponson fairly quickly because with Kennedy coming back and Aceves pushing for a spot in AAA there may be a log jam there. However I could always see us just cutting Karstens and/or moving Igawa to bullpen.

I think it will be Ponson too. It would be a good situation to see what he's got in a time of need for our rotation. Then, depending upon results, either stick with him or quickly cut him and move on. Gotta love disposable cheap pitching.

I really think that McCutchen, regardless of his next couple outings, will remain at AAA unless there are serious problems at the ML level. With the results of IPK and Hughes, I doubt the brass are in any hurry to bring up more young talent to be thrown to the wolves without being VERY certain they're ready.

Yankee Tripper
06-19-08, 04:57 PM
We're going to get Ponson'd - :mad: :(

themgmt
06-19-08, 05:06 PM
I think it will be Ponson too. It would be a good situation to see what he's got in a time of need for our rotation. Then, depending upon results, either stick with him or quickly cut him and move on. Gotta love disposable cheap pitching.

I really think that McCutchen, regardless of his next couple outings, will remain at AAA unless there are serious problems at the ML level. With the results of IPK and Hughes, I doubt the brass are in any hurry to bring up more young talent to be thrown to the wolves without being VERY certain they're ready.

Yeah but McCutchen is 25, and probably doesn't factor into the long term plans for the rotation. Horne is 25 too

YASS
06-19-08, 06:55 PM
Yeah but McCutchen is 25, and probably doesn't factor into the long term plans for the rotation. Horne is 25 too
Horne was out of action for 18 months rehabbing from TJS. His age doesn't bother me nearly as much as McCutchen's.

themgmt
06-19-08, 07:33 PM
I wasn't knocking either of them for their age. Just saying there's no reason to protect them, their time is now.

yank4life2005
06-19-08, 08:35 PM
Alan Horne

Guiseppe Franco
06-19-08, 08:45 PM
I'm afraid to ask, but how much money is Ponson getting for this stint?

themgmt
06-19-08, 08:51 PM
I'm afraid to ask, but how much money is Ponson getting for this stint?

They're actually paying him in cheeseburgers.

Bub
06-20-08, 08:42 AM
Considering this is a game against the Mets, I would think that the front office will go to great lengths to put the best starter they can find in this spot. Other than who's already been mentioned, there's also LeTroy Hawkins, like him or not, who can start and give 3 or 4 innings.

webassign
06-20-08, 08:45 AM
Ponson was signed just for this game.

rpbri2886
06-20-08, 09:05 AM
I agree. Give one of the kids a shot.

Last year T-Clip made his first start on the Sunday night of the June series against the Mets. He pitched a gem as I recall.

JohnnyDamonfan
06-20-08, 09:45 AM
Let me just ask you what makes it hard for you to cheer Ponson? Did he do something to the Yankees that I don't know about? Or is it just his attitude problems? What I don't get is that people don't have a problem liking/cheering for Damon but when a guy like Sidney Ponson comes up it's hard for you to cheer for him. Damon was a major reason why we didn't win the playoffs in 2004. And as far as I know Ponson never did anything that bad. He's a sucky pitcher who's gonna be sent to the minors and maybe DFA'D by 3 weeks tops but to say that he'd be hard to root for is taking it a bit to far imo at least. Perhaps there's something about this guy I don't get mind explaining it to me?

PinstripeDynasty
06-20-08, 09:57 AM
Let me just ask you what makes it hard for you to cheer Ponson? Did he do something to the Yankees that I don't know about? Or is it just his attitude problems? What I don't get is that people don't have a problem liking/cheering for Damon but when a guy like Sidney Ponson comes up it's hard for you to cheer for him. Damon was a major reason why we didn't win the playoffs in 2004. And as far as I know Ponson never did anything that bad. He's a sucky pitcher who's gonna be sent to the minors and maybe DFA'D by 3 weeks tops but to say that he'd be hard to root for is taking it a bit to far imo at least. Perhaps there's something about this guy I don't get mind explaining it to me?

His repeated off-field incidents portray a person that has taken the privilege of playing baseball for a living for granted, and shows disloyalty or disregard to his team and teammates. That upsets fans who can only dream of his opportunity.

JohnnyDamonfan
06-20-08, 10:09 AM
His repeated off-field incidents portray a person that has taken the privilege of playing baseball for a living for granted, and shows disloyalty or disregard to his team and teammates. That upsets fans who can only dream of his opportunity.

Hasn't he been on the Yankees before though? I seem to remember some guy named Sidney Ponson pitching on our team some years back about the time Cory Lidle was on the Yankees.(RIP) I wonder what the Yankees were thinking if this guy is such a huge prick.

PinstripeDynasty
06-20-08, 10:28 AM
Hasn't he been on the Yankees before though? I seem to remember some guy named Sidney Ponson pitching on our team some years back about the time Cory Lidle was on the Yankees.(RIP) I wonder what the Yankees were thinking if this guy is such a huge prick.

Yeah, he was on the Yankees in 2006. I'm not saying I personally won't root for him, nor do I really know him or what he's done. I was just stating why some fans might not like him.

Bub
06-20-08, 10:56 AM
His repeated off-field incidents portray a person that has taken the privilege of playing baseball for a living for granted, and shows disloyalty or disregard to his team and teammates. That upsets fans who can only dream of his opportunity.Nicely stated. I guess he was booted off of the Rangers because he threatened the manager.

JohnnyDamonfan
06-20-08, 12:35 PM
Yeah, he was on the Yankees in 2006. I'm not saying I personally won't root for him, nor do I really know him or what he's done. I was just stating why some fans might not like him.

To tell you the truth I don't like people like that either. I forgot this one guy's name but he was a real problem on the Blue Jays. I wanna say Eric Hinske. I hate that guy with a passion for what he did /does to all the teams he has been on. And chances are if I knew what a jerk Ponson was I might hate him too. But, let's face it McCutchen might not be ready by that Mets series. And we obviously don't need a sixth starter on a daily basis. So as long as he's there for one game and then is never seen from again I got no problem with it.

Yankee Tripper
06-20-08, 02:53 PM
To tell you the truth I don't like people like that either. I forgot this one guy's name but he was a real problem on the Blue Jays. I wanna say Eric Hinske. I hate that guy with a passion for what he did /does to all the teams he has been on. And chances are if I knew what a jerk Ponson was I might hate him too. But, let's face it McCutchen might not be ready by that Mets series. And we obviously don't need a sixth starter on a daily basis. So as long as he's there for one game and then is never seen from again I got no problem with it.

You could be right but I haven't really heard anything about Hinske, but then I don't follow the Jay - but I think it is Shea Hillenbrand who wore out his welcome in several places and if I remember right got into an altercation with the Jays manager that you may be thinking of.

JohnnyDamonfan
06-20-08, 10:58 PM
You could be right but I haven't really heard anything about Hinske, but then I don't follow the Jay - but I think it is Shea Hillenbrand who wore out his welcome in several places and if I remember right got into an altercation with the Jays manager that you may be thinking of.

Oh my god I was wrong I think it was Shea Hillenbrand. I don't know why I thought it was Hinske. I guess it was also that they both played on the Red Sox. It's hard to keep it straight when Hillenbrand was a former Red Sock and Hinske is a former Red Sock and they're both former Blue Jays. That guy seemed to have a problem everywhere. In Boston I heard he cursed out the manager then, then in Toronto he got in to an altercation. I got my Jays wrong.