PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible Roy Halladay is traded?

JavyVazquezIsSick
06-17-08, 11:21 PM
If the Jays fall out of contention. Is it possibe they fall into complete rebuild mode and try to trade Roy Halladay? If he becomes available what are you willing to give up? He's signed for two more years at 09:$14.25M, 10:$15.75M. I don't know about you guys, but I'd be willing to give up a lot. A potential rotation of

Halladay
Sabathia
Joba
Wang
Hughes

is too sexy.

Prison Mike
06-17-08, 11:22 PM
He might become available because the Jays have a ridiculous amount of young pitching- but I doubt they'd trade him within the division.

continentalg5
06-17-08, 11:24 PM
I would love that rotation, but he is a huge part of their pitching.

YanksFan1992
06-18-08, 12:06 AM
I would love him, but I can't see Toronto trading him, especially in their division.

bcom33
06-18-08, 12:25 AM
Hughes, Joba, Cano, Jackson might do it...lol

bigjf
06-18-08, 12:33 AM
Please stop it. This is the worst thread yet. The Jays aren't trading one of the best pitchers in baseball, one that is under contract for another 2 years and makes $15 million a year.

If Toronto is going to trade anyone, it's going to be A.J. Burnett because he has an opt-out clause at the end of this year.

Cashman has already said not to expect a blockbuster trade, and it almost certainly wouldn't happen with a division rival.

smckdwn989
06-18-08, 12:34 AM
keep dreaming... sorry, they aren't trading halladay to the yankees, no chance. he anchors their young staff and they love him up there.

i like your thinking but it just won't happen.

surge511
06-18-08, 01:52 AM
The Jays would never trade him to the Yankees.

BronxBombersMRP
06-18-08, 02:00 AM

I agree, first of all they arent going to trade him to anyone, no way, and if they did it would NOT be the yanks. Toronto is looking to build around guys like him and McGowan.

JohnnyDamonfan
06-18-08, 09:57 AM
I love your rotation idea but to tell you the truth no offense but it's just to Fantasy team like. I mean first of all we're gonna need to give up a lot of our guys to get him. And if we trade for Sabathia it's even more guys we have to give up. Once again I love your rotation idea it just doesn't sound very realistic Toronto would never trade in their division. I say we just go after Sabathia because there's a real chance we could get him.

Wang

Sabathia

Hughes

Joba

Kennedy/Horne etc.

might not be as sexy as

Wang

Halladay

Sabathia

Hughes

Joba

but it's a whole lot more realistic.

JavyVazquezIsSick
06-18-08, 10:01 AM
It probably is a fantasy that Halladay would be traded to the Yankees, but I don't think the Jays trading Halladay is complete fantasy. I think this is going to be J.P.'s last year, if they don't get into contention, I can see them going into complete rebuild mode.

THEBOSS84
06-18-08, 10:03 AM
It probably is a fantasy that Halladay would be traded to the Yankees, but I don't think the Jays trading Halladay is complete fantasy. I think this is going to be J.P.'s last year, if they don't get into contention, I can see them going into complete rebuild mode.

That Wells contract is an absolute killer already - unbelievable.

JohnnyDamonfan
06-18-08, 11:39 AM

Maybe not a complete fantasy. You're right that would be a dream rotation. But, as of now until I hear otherwise and Halladay could be had for not to many of our guys. That unfortunately is what it's going to be a dream. Right now I don't think anyone can deny Sabathia is much more likely to come to the Yankees at this present point. And besides I wanna leave a spot or two open for the guys in the farm like Horne etc.etc. I think they can be impressive starters.

Brick Tamland
06-18-08, 11:51 AM
Not to rehash what's already been said but this would never happen in a million years. Halladay is a beast but no chance of this happening. Toronto trading him within the division is laughable. He is a legitimate ace starting pitcher and those are as rare as it gets in baseball these days. It's fun to dream but this is just too far out there.

Yankee Tripper
06-18-08, 11:58 AM
keep dreaming... sorry, they aren't trading halladay to the yankees, no chance. he anchors their young staff and they love him up there.

i like your thinking but it just won't happen.umm didn't they trade us clemens after his 2nd consecutive cy young season with them?

I still think it is fantasyland but for a really good haul I could see the Jays dealing with the Yanks though I imagine the asking price is similar to or higher than what the Twins wanted for Santana.

smckdwn989
06-18-08, 12:16 PM
umm didn't they trade us clemens after his 2nd consecutive cy young season with them?

I still think it is fantasyland but for a really good haul I could see the Jays dealing with the Yanks though I imagine the asking price is similar to or higher than what the Twins wanted for Santana.

they did, i remembered that before I posted. i just don't see it happening at all.

YankeePride1967
06-18-08, 12:17 PM
Yes it's possible they would deal him. No, it's unlikely any team in the AL East would get him.

effdamets
06-18-08, 12:32 PM
Yes it's possible they would deal him. No, it's unlikely any team in the AL East would get him.
This is what I think.
Certainly not to the Yankees.
If anything, the BJs will shuffle him off to Boston to stick it to the Yankees, but there is more chance of contracting leprosy.
:D

R.V.47
06-18-08, 01:31 PM
I think its more likely Burnett gets traded.

teknetic
06-18-08, 01:35 PM
They'll want bats with Snider being the only big name hitter in their system. So, if they did entertain the thought, it'd cost us Jackson and/or Montero +

NyyNjnNyg
06-18-08, 01:50 PM
I think its more likely Burnett gets traded.

Yes he's available..but one: the Jays won't deal him in division. two: he is waaay to injury prone, even know he has tremendous ability

R.V.47
06-18-08, 01:52 PM
Yes he's available..but one: the Jays won't deal him in division. two: he is waaay to injury prone, even know he has tremendous ability

He is injury prone without a doubt but this could be a rental type deal for us. He has an opt out clause after this season which he will likely use. Hopefully he can just stay healthy for the rest of the year.

THEBOSS84
06-18-08, 01:55 PM
He is injury prone without a doubt but this could be a rental type deal for us. He has an opt out clause after this season which he will likely use. Hopefully he can just stay healthy for the rest of the year.

Take a look at his 2008 stats. 4.90 ERA 1.51 WHIP

Nasty

R.V.47
06-18-08, 01:56 PM
Take a look at his 2008 stats. 4.90 ERA 1.51 WHIP

Nasty

I know all about AJ because my fantasy team has endured those numbers this year. But sometimes a change in scenery can help a guy out especially when going from pitching in front of 10,000 people in last place Toronto to the yankees. The guys stuff is just to good to finish the year witha 4.90 era.

Allan
06-18-08, 02:04 PM
I know all about AJ because my fantasy team has endured those numbers this year. But sometimes a change in scenery can help a guy out especially when going from pitching in front of 10,000 people in last place Toronto to the yankees. The guys stuff is just to good to finish the year witha 4.90 era.
Some seen to think AJ's got the Cubbies, not the Yankees, on his mind.

THEBOSS84
06-18-08, 02:05 PM
Some seen to think AJ's got the Cubbies, not the Yankees, on his mind.

Unless he has a no trade clause, it doesn't matter who he has on his mind.

Allan
06-18-08, 02:24 PM
Unless he has a no trade clause, it doesn't matter who he has on his mind.
A.J. Burnett rhp
5 years/$55M (2006-10)

signed as a free agent 12/05
$6M signing bonus

06:$1M, 07:$12M, 08:$12M, 09:$12M, 10:$12M
Burnett may opt out of the contract after 2008
limited no-trade clause allowing Burnett to block deals to 15 clubs
But sometimes it does matter.

THEBOSS84
06-18-08, 02:27 PM
A.J. Burnett rhp
5 years/$55M (2006-10)

signed as a free agent 12/05
$6M signing bonus

06:$1M, 07:$12M, 08:$12M, 09:$12M, 10:$12M
Burnett may opt out of the contract after 2008
limited no-trade clause allowing Burnett to block deals to 15 clubs
But sometimes it does matter.

Hence the quote "unless he has a no trade clause"

Allan
06-18-08, 02:36 PM
Hence the quote "unless he has a no trade clause"
Yes, I realize. I'm merely trying to put stock into my initial observation that AJ seems to favour the Cubs, much to the consternation of J.P. and other Jays.

THEBOSS84
06-18-08, 02:37 PM
Yes, I realize. I'm merely trying to put stock into my initial observation that AJ seems to favour the Cubs, much to the consternation of J.P. and other Jays.

Gotcha.

primetime714
06-18-08, 02:48 PM

Yea its doubtful they would trade him at all, but if they did they wouldn't be talking to closely with the Yankees and even if they would they certainly wouldn't be very reasonable in their asking price from us.

I think they could trade Halladay, but if they did I think they would be looking for some good young bats to go with their pitching. Still I think they hold onto Halladay and find another way to improve their offense.

Jetfanmack
06-18-08, 03:31 PM
How do you expect to get both CC and Halladay while holding onto Hughes?

montrealer
06-19-08, 08:36 AM
If the Jays fall out of contention. Is it possibe they fall into complete rebuild mode and try to trade Roy Halladay? If he becomes available what are you willing to give up? He's signed for two more years at 09:$14.25M, 10:$15.75M. I don't know about you guys, but I'd be willing to give up a lot. A potential rotation of

Halladay
Sabathia
Joba
Wang
Hughes

is too sexy.

Step away from the Crack Pipe.:P

Ynkcpt23
06-19-08, 09:56 AM
Step away from the Crack Pipe.:P

And hand over the bong as well...geez man, how many drugs are you on?? :eek:

Dustin563
06-20-08, 06:49 PM
What if Halladay requests a trade because he knows the Jays will never be a winner? I'd give the Jays better than what we offered for Santana. Halladay is a workhorse. He just turned 31 and he's signed through 2010. Getting him for the 2011 season wouldn't be too bad either...

PinstripePride
06-20-08, 06:56 PM
I can't see Halladay being traded within the division, as some have said. That being said, I'd be willing to give up a LOT for him. The potential of an innings eating horse like Halladay in pinstripes excites me to an unhealthy degree.

hockeypuck2008
06-20-08, 11:15 PM
I think everything is pretty much covered. I have a question though, how is it that the Yankees acquire two aces without giving up a potenial ace?

just-blaze
06-20-08, 11:17 PM
I think everything is pretty much covered. I have a question though, how is it that the Yankees acquire two aces without giving up a potenial ace?

Its in the same fantasy that has Halladay wearing anything other than a Jays hat.

hockeypuck2008
06-20-08, 11:26 PM
big difference though Tripper. Back in 1999 the Yankees traded one elite pitcher for another. This time the Yankees don't have an elite pitcher to entice the Jays to trade them Halladay. And before I get blasted. Joba is a great young player but he isn't anywhere near elite status yet, like Wells was at the time.

flymick24
06-21-08, 01:50 AM
he might approach jays management and demand a trade after he was hit in the head in tonight's game

DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK
06-21-08, 02:11 AM

Halladay
Sabathia
Joba
Wang
Hughes

is too sexy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No thanks on Sabathia. What is so great about a 5-8 pitcher with a 4.26 ERA? He's going to want big money and Cashman is not going to get him. As for Halliday, I think he's the best pitcher possibly in baseball. But we'd have to give up too much for him and the Jays wouldn't part with him. He's their ace.

PaulyMoliWalnuts
06-21-08, 02:23 AM

He's not as much prone to injury as he is to being drilled with line drives.

He had arm trouble four years ago when he was only 8-8, but he was hit with a Mench liner and missed half the year a few years ago, and then was drilled in the right arm with another comebacker and missed the last three or four starts of the season last year (maybe two years ago).

Then he was dinged in the temple with a liner tonight, which silenced a large enough section of Boston Pizza that the people not watching the game thought someone got stabbed or sucker-punched or something.

But no way they trade him.

johnmvp
06-21-08, 02:41 AM
Halladay
Sabathia
Joba
Wang
Hughes

Wishful thinking.

JohnnyDamonfan
06-21-08, 06:37 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No thanks on Sabathia. What is so great about a 5-8 pitcher with a 4.26 ERA? He's going to want big money and Cashman is not going to get him. As for Halliday, I think he's the best pitcher possibly in baseball. But we'd have to give up too much for him and the Jays wouldn't part with him. He's their ace.

First of all Sabathia might be the best choices to go after this offseason. He's having one bad year . And it's not like we don't have the money to spend on him.

Wang

Hughes

Joba

Kennedy

Horne???????????

Now, don't get me wrong we got some pretty good guys but don't you think our rotation needs a little bit more to even it out? As long as Sabathia doesn't want a 7 + year contract I am all aboard and think he should be signed. We kinda need a big starter to make our rotation a bit deeper. Now, it doesn't have to be Sabathia but at this time and moment he's really our best choice.

nnysiny
06-21-08, 08:17 AM
the Blue Jays would never trade an ace to their own division again. the last time that happened, the Yankees went on to win 2 championships

fellows
06-21-08, 05:04 PM

Sabathia got off to a horrible start but his ERA has been correcting since, and should be very good by years end. He's a monster with IP and K rate. 1.28 WHIP this year with bad start. Maybe the hardest throwing lefty starter in the game. There is a lot to like.

aeromac76
06-21-08, 05:50 PM

Halladay
Sabathia
Joba
Wang
Hughes

is too sexy.

If we have that rotation next year, I would volunteer to have 2, maybe even 3 years, taken from the end of my life..

4bronxbombers
06-21-08, 05:53 PM
The title alone makes me drool. :drool:

4bronxbombers
06-21-08, 05:54 PM
If we have that rotation next year, I would volunteer to have 2, maybe even 3 years, taken from the end of my life..

:lol: :lol:

YASS
06-21-08, 06:34 PM
I'd like to see Roy Halladay traded to the NL and out of everybody's hair.

Bleacher_Creature
07-24-08, 01:15 PM
Jays Quietly Discussing Halladay? (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/jays-quietly-di.html)

Roy Halladay is apparently unhappy in Toronto and has let management know it, and management has apparently responded by doing some quiet surveying of teams (such as St. Louis and the Dodgers) that are far, far away from the AL East in an effort to see what it could get for the 2003 Cy Young Award winner.

Apparently, the returns other teams are getting for top-talent pitchers such as CC Sabathia, Rich Harden and Erik Bedard has inspired the Blue Jays to at least find out what it could get for one of the best pitchers in the American League. It remains unlikely that they'd deal him, but you never know.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

flymick24
07-24-08, 01:16 PM
it's been a while since cashman pulled off a 3 way deal...

R.V.47
07-24-08, 01:16 PM
Jays Quietly Discussing Halladay? (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/jays-quietly-di.html)

Roy Halladay is apparently unhappy in Toronto and has let management know it, and management has apparently responded by doing some quiet surveying of teams (such as St. Louis and the Dodgers) that are far, far away from the AL East in an effort to see what it could get for the 2003 Cy Young Award winner.

Apparently, the returns other teams are getting for top-talent pitchers such as CC Sabathia, Rich Harden and Erik Bedard has inspired the Blue Jays to at least find out what it could get for one of the best pitchers in the American League. It remains unlikely that they'd deal him, but you never know.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I think Halladay might be the best all around pitcher in baseball, I just dont think the Jays would give him to us.

Bleacher_Creature
07-24-08, 01:19 PM
Halladay would cost us the farm...

continentalg5
07-24-08, 01:23 PM
Halladay is worth the farm. :)

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-24-08, 05:46 PM
it's been a while since cashman pulled off a 3 way deal...

If Cash got that done, I'll never say a bad word about him again.

yankeesrule2000
07-24-08, 05:51 PM
No way that he is going to be traded to us.

JL25and3
07-24-08, 05:58 PM
big difference though Tripper. Back in 1999 the Yankees traded one elite pitcher for another. This time the Yankees don't have an elite pitcher to entice the Jays to trade them Halladay. And before I get blasted. Joba is a great young player but he isn't anywhere near elite status yet, like Wells was at the time.Toronto also traded David Cone to the Yankees, and not for very much. But that was a long time ago.

Cheesyhoboe
07-24-08, 06:02 PM
That's interesting about Halladay wanting to be traded considering this from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3503003&type=story

Interestingly, other clubs that have spoken with the Blue Jays say they'll talk about anybody. But when the conversation turns to, say, Roy Halladay, the conversation ends fast.

"He likes it here," Ricciardi says. "He wants to win here. And he's signed for two more years. So if we trade him, we'd be giving up on the chance that we're going to be a good club in the next two years. And we don't feel that way."

HelloNewman
07-24-08, 06:03 PM
Ricciardi re-jiggered his rotation just before the All-Star break for the express purpose of screwing the Yankees. You really think he's going to trade us Halladay?

JL25and3
07-24-08, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK

First of all Sabathia might be the best choices to go after this offseason. He's having one bad year .Describing him as "a 5-8 pitcher with a 4.26 ERA" is technically correct, but so misleading it's silly. And he's not even having a bad year; he had one awful month, and since then he's been as much of an ace as you could ask for.

April: 1-4, 7.88
Since then: 9-4, 2.12

JL25and3
07-24-08, 06:05 PM
If Toronto is going to trade anyone, it's going to be A.J. Burnett because he has an opt-out clause at the end of this year.Unfortunately, the combination of the huge contract and the opt-out clause makes him pretty much untradeable.

teknetic
07-25-08, 01:05 AM
Unfortunately, the combination of the huge contract and the opt-out clause makes him pretty much untradeable.

The crappy performance that doesn't back up his "stuff" doesn't help either.

continentalg5
07-25-08, 02:00 AM
Maybe Cashman can do a little Derren Brown mind control, and trade Pavano for Halladay.

If you don't know who Derren Brown is, search for him on YouTube, the guy is amazing.

YASS
07-25-08, 09:57 AM
Ricciardi re-jiggered his rotation just before the All-Star break for the express purpose of screwing the Yankees. You really think he's going to trade us Halladay?
I've read this sort of comment a lot, but I don't see anything wrong with what the Jays did there. There's nothing wrong or vaguely unethical about a team trying to put itself in position to win an extra game.

They weren't trying to screw the Yankees; they were trying to beat them.

Rice14
07-25-08, 10:04 AM
Halladay could be traded to NY or Boston--just as long as the offer blows all others out of the water. Certainly if the Yankees and Cardinals or the Red Sox and Dodgers made similar proposals, Roy would be a Card or Dodger.This is one instance when there surely would be a Yankee (or Red Sox) tax. Big time.

teknetic
07-25-08, 10:57 AM
I've read this sort of comment a lot, but I don't see anything wrong with what the Jays did there. There's nothing wrong or vaguely unethical about a team trying to put itself in position to win an extra game.

They weren't trying to screw the Yankees; they were trying to beat them.

They were trailing Baltimore (and playing them) in the standings when they decided to push Halladay back.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-25-08, 12:18 PM
Please stop it. This is the worst thread yet. The Jays aren't trading one of the best pitchers in baseball, one that is under contract for another 2 years and makes $15 million a year.

If Toronto is going to trade anyone, it's going to be A.J. Burnett because he has an opt-out clause at the end of this year.

Cashman has already said not to expect a blockbuster trade, and it almost certainly wouldn't happen with a division rival.

Perfect response. The only thread I think we can make to top this would have the Red Sox trading us Beckett for IPK and Gardner.

YASS
07-25-08, 12:20 PM
They were trailing Baltimore (and playing them) in the standings when they decided to push Halladay back.
Sure, but if you had two games upcoming, one against Baltimore and one against the Yankees, and you had both Parrish and Halladay available on at least 4 days rest for either one, how would you let it play out? What gives you your best chance of winning both games?

You'd seriously use Halladay against Baltimore and let Parrish face the Yankees?

BRNXBMRS
07-25-08, 12:29 PM
ROY HALLADAY, Blue Jays RHP
The whispers just won't go away. Halladay is apparently unhappy in Toronto and has let management know it, and management has apparently responded by doing some quiet surveying of teams (such as St. Louis and the Dodgers) that are far, far away from the AL East in an effort to see what it could get for the 2003 Cy Young Award winner. Apparently, the returns other teams are getting for top-talent pitchers such as C.C. Sabathia, Rich Harden and Erik Bedard has inspired the Blue Jays to at least find out what it could get for one of the best pitchers in the American League. It remains unlikely that they'd deal him, but you never know.

Key Stat: Halladay has pitched 33 complete games since the start of the 2003 season. There are only eight other active major-league pitchers who have more than 33 in their careers.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2008/07/ny_yankees_in_the_market_for_a.html

NewEraYanks2527
07-26-08, 09:09 AM
Halladay will not be in pinstripes unless he hits free agency or is traded to another team first and then we give them the farm for him. I just don't see the Jays trading him within their division where he will haunt them for the rest of his career.

teknetic
07-26-08, 09:40 AM
Sure, but if you had two games upcoming, one against Baltimore and one against the Yankees, and you had both Parrish and Halladay available on at least 4 days rest for either one, how would you let it play out? What gives you your best chance of winning both games?

You'd seriously use Halladay against Baltimore and let Parrish face the Yankees?

It was still early July. I don't really care, I just found it odd how, especially considering he brought out Burnett on three days rest on Sunday. The Yankee offense was sputtering up until then, so would it have even mattered?

Halladay to the Dodgers would be awesome. Gets him out of the AL East and gives us a better shot to land CC, make it happen.

R.V.47
07-26-08, 10:17 AM
Halladay will not be in pinstripes unless he hits free agency or is traded to another team first and then we give them the farm for him. I just don't see the Jays trading him within their division where he will haunt them for the rest of his career.

They did trade us Clemens, but that was a long time ago and the Jays were a lot worse of a team then.

Abe Frohman
07-26-08, 09:37 PM
This is a pipe dream ... but its really fun imagining Halladay, Joba, and Wang

( Not carrying the label of ace anymore and facing the oppositions 3rd

starter ) pitching back 2 back 2 back shutouts in the playoffs.

DJ27
07-26-08, 09:39 PM
Halladay to the Dodgers would be awesome. Gets him out of the AL East and gives us a better shot to land CC, make it happen.

Great point... I like your thinking!! Get it done LA!

continentalg5
07-26-08, 09:41 PM
Halladay
CC
Joba
Wang
Sheets

OMGZ!!1!

destro
07-26-08, 09:42 PM
Halladay
CC
Joba
Wang
Sheets

OMGZ!!1!

turn your playstation off.

continentalg5
07-26-08, 09:44 PM
turn your playstation off.

Aside from Halladay, CC and Sheets are attainable.

Axon
07-26-08, 09:51 PM
We could potentially get Hallady for 2 kegs of Sam Adams Octoberfest if, and only if, Boomer Wells becomes Toronto's GM.

stupidpunchline
07-27-08, 03:23 AM
Not possible. He IS the Toronto Blue Jays.

suha
07-27-08, 04:06 AM
How do you expect to get both CC and Halladay while holding onto Hughes?

Ok, would you or anyone else HONESTLY prefer to hang onto Hughes if the alternatives were CC or Halladay?

BobbyMeacham's glove
07-27-08, 10:42 AM
Halladay SHOULD stay with the Jays. I want as many good players as I can get, but it does reach a ridiculous point where you can't have 4-5 teams getting anything they want all the time.

There has to be some type of competitive balance. Us Yankee fans already have a HUGE egde in that department, so let's leave it at that.

YanksFan1992
07-27-08, 11:43 AM
Ok, would you or anyone else HONESTLY prefer to hang onto Hughes if the alternatives were CC or Halladay?

I would rather have Hughes than either of them to be honest.

Halladay's one heck of a pitcher but he's 9 years older than Hughes, so if both play to be let's say 37, I would rather have 15 years of Hughes than 6 years of Halladay (especially when you consider that Hughes should be going into the prime of his career in a few years).

teknetic
07-27-08, 11:45 AM
Guess any slim chance at him being shipped went out the window with McGowan done for the year.

continentalg5
07-27-08, 11:47 AM
I would rather have Hughes than either of them to be honest.

Halladay's one heck of a pitcher but he's 9 years older than Hughes, so if both play to be let's say 37, I would rather have 15 years of Hughes than 6 years of Halladay (especially when you consider that Hughes should be going into the prime of his career in a few years).

But you are assuming Hughes can puts up Halladay's numbers.

As much as I love Phil, I don't think he's going to become the Yankee version of Halladay. He's good, but I don't think he's that good.

Jersey Yankee
07-27-08, 11:48 AM
Toronto also traded David Cone to the Yankees, and not for very much. But that was a long time ago.
They also traded Clemens to us, and that was a blockbuster deal.

We'd need to lose all of our young guys not named Wang and Cano. I think that the NL teams could get a much better deal. Who would they demand from us?

YanksFan1992
07-27-08, 11:55 AM
But you are assuming Hughes can puts up Halladay's numbers.

As much as I love Phil, I don't think he's going to become the Yankee version of Halladay. He's good, but I don't think he's that good.
No I'm not.

Even if Hughes is half of the pitcher Halladay is I would rather have him for 15years, with many of those years being in his prime, than 4 or 5 years of Halladay. And it's not like Hughes has shown he can't be good in the majors, his pitching performance in Game 3 of the ALDS was one of the better ones from a Yankee pitcher in the last few years.

I tend to value young pitchers even if they probably won't be as good as their counterparts, so I would honestly say no to Hughes for Halladay, or Hughes for Sabathia.

Jersey Yankee
07-27-08, 11:56 AM
Aside from Halladay, CC and Sheets are attainable.
CC & Sheets re available only if Milwaukee doesn't make the playoffs and don't offer them both arbitration.

I don't consider Halladay obtainable unless you're dealing Melky, Edwar Ramirez, Joba and Action Jackson. Outside of Joba, I could spare the others, but we can't afford to deal the guys who would make this deal happen.

YanksFan1992
07-27-08, 11:56 AM
They also traded Clemens to us, and that was a blockbuster deal.

We'd need to lose all of our young guys not named Wang and Cano. I think that the NL teams could get a much better deal. Who would they demand from us?
My guess is something like Montero, Betances, Kennedy and another good player (which I definitely wouln't want to do).

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-27-08, 12:04 PM
I'd trade Hughes for Halladay in a heartbeat.