PDA

View Full Version : Roster Moves

themgmt
06-13-08, 02:05 PM
Moeller will be shipped out in a week or so, who takes his spot?

My call is Brett Gardner. Let him pinch run and spell Melky once or twice a week. Also give Damon/Matsui/Abreu the late innings off in blow outs. With those duties he should probably be put in about 3-4 games/week. The only thing is I would let Gardner get a month more of ABs down in the minors.

Also Dan Giese will be probably shipped out soon, probably after Joba's next 1-2 starts, although I suspect Ian Kennedy will take this roster spot eventually, and Rasner will lose his rotation spot unless Kennedy is ineffective.

Are Ohlendorf, Hawkins, and Duncan in any trouble of losing their roster spot in the foreseeable future? Will Robertson, JB Cox, or Melancon be here before ASB?

CallOfTheCrow
06-13-08, 02:06 PM
Duncan is getting demoted for Gonzalez.

wang+cano=future
06-13-08, 02:06 PM
Duncan is getting demoted for Gonzalez.

Good.

Metroidman
06-13-08, 02:20 PM
FREE GARDNER

Atleast he can provide an actual pinch runner.

bcom33
06-13-08, 03:12 PM
FREE GARDNER

Atleast he can provide an actual pinch runner.

He can also push Melky.

themgmt
06-13-08, 04:02 PM
That was fast.

Moeller definitely won't be here by the end of Interleague play. With Duncan being demoted, I'm thinking he might be the one to get recalled and Alberto Gonzalez might stay on the roster. I think Gardner would help a little more than AG if Betemit is going to stay on the roster.

bigjf
06-13-08, 04:52 PM
I'd like to see Gardner get called up. At least Girardi would get him into the mix...

And I think Hawkins will absolutely be gone sometime in July, if not earlier. That would free room for Robertson. I'd love to see Farnsworth go, but I doubt it will happen. Cox is on the DL for a few weeks now, but Melancon should certainly get in the mix by August or September. Dan McCutchen has done well too, in AA, but he's been beaten around a bit in AAA.

Ynkcpt23
06-13-08, 05:10 PM
Moeller will be shipped out in a week or so, who takes his spot?

My call is Brett Gardner. Let him pinch run and spell Melky once or twice a week. Also give Damon/Matsui/Abreu the late innings off in blow outs. With those duties he should probably be put in about 3-4 games/week. The only thing is I would let Gardner get a month more of ABs down in the minors.

Also Dan Giese will be probably shipped out soon, probably after Joba's next 1-2 starts, although I suspect Ian Kennedy will take this roster spot eventually, and Rasner will lose his rotation spot unless Kennedy is ineffective.

Are Ohlendorf, Hawkins, and Duncan in any trouble of losing their roster spot in the foreseeable future? Will Robertson, JB Cox, or Melancon be here before ASB?

Cox is on the 7 day DL, unfortunately. He won't be coming up any time soon.

JL25and3
06-13-08, 05:26 PM
I'm going to buck the vast majority of public opinion around here. If Gardner looks like he could be a major leaguer, I don't want to call him up so he can pinch-run for Giambi twice a week. If you want to give him some serious playing time instead of Melky - or even send Melky down - that's different. But while a pinch-runner is a nice thing to have, it's not going to propel the Yankees into the playoffs. Rather than slow down a kid's development, I'd try to find a replacement-level player who can run.

themgmt
06-13-08, 10:34 PM
As I said I'd like him to get a month more of ABs in the minors. He's had enough time in the minors, he doesn't need the full season down there anymore, he needs to face major league pitching. You don't try to break him in the major leagues as a starting CF in the middle of a pennant race (unless Melky folds). 10 weeks at the Major league level, starting 2-3 times a week, pinch running, and coming in late in games for defense and to spell Damon, Matsui, Melky, or Abreu late in blow out games.

100 games in the minors, let him miss the last 40 minor league games to participate in roughly 40-50 games after the all-star break and helpfully impact the team, while facing Major League Pitching.

False1
06-15-08, 09:29 AM
I'm going to buck the vast majority of public opinion around here. If Gardner looks like he could be a major leaguer, I don't want to call him up so he can pinch-run for Giambi twice a week. If you want to give him some serious playing time instead of Melky - or even send Melky down - that's different. But while a pinch-runner is a nice thing to have, it's not going to propel the Yankees into the playoffs. Rather than slow down a kid's development, I'd try to find a replacement-level player who can run.Melky's #'s against LHP and Gardner's performance in SWB against LHP scream platoon.

Cabrera - .208 / .301 / .333 / .635
Gardner - .342 / .430 / .575 / 1.006

Cabrera may heat up and Gardner wouldn't fare quite so well against MLB LHP, but that's a pretty huge chasm right there. I'd bring him up to push Mellky, to see if he can produce near these levels against LHP and then you also have his speed on the bench when Melky starts.

JL25and3
06-15-08, 11:31 AM
Melky's #'s against LHP and Gardner's performance in SWB against LHP scream platoon.

Cabrera may heat up and Gardner wouldn't fare quite so well against MLB LHP, but that's a pretty huge chasm right there. I'd bring him up to push Mellky, to see if he can produce near these levels against LHP and then you also have his speed on the bench when Melky starts.On the one hand, I was convinced in another thread that Gardner's ceiling is probably pretty low, that he's not a big-time prospect, so "hindering his development" shouldn't be that much of a consideration.

On the other, though, last night would make me hold off on any moves. We all know how streaky Melky is - he hits .280 overall, but does it by hitting .230 one month, .330 the next. I think it was a mistake to keep throwing Melky out there during this last slump, but if this is the beginning of a hot streak, leave him in until he cools off.

Yankees1962
06-15-08, 11:39 AM
Melky's #'s against LHP and Gardner's performance in SWB against LHP scream platoon.

Cabrera may heat up and Gardner wouldn't fare quite so well against MLB LHP, but that's a pretty huge chasm right there. I'd bring him up to push Mellky, to see if he can produce near these levels against LHP and then you also have his speed on the bench when Melky starts.
One way or another, I think something is going to shakeout in the next 30 days or so.

themgmt
06-15-08, 04:57 PM
Will Robertson, JB Cox, or Melancon be here before ASB?

According to Cashman, Robertson "might be the guy"

rpbri2886
06-15-08, 08:19 PM
According to Cashman, Robertson "might be the guy"

Really? That's great to hear Cash acknowleding him at the very least. When did he say this?

themgmt
06-15-08, 08:25 PM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06152008/sports/yankees/joba_ii_______with_a_twist_115501.htm

False1
06-16-08, 01:12 PM
On the one hand, I was convinced in another thread that Gardner's ceiling is probably pretty low, that he's not a big-time prospect, so "hindering his development" shouldn't be that much of a consideration.

On the other, though, last night would make me hold off on any moves. We all know how streaky Melky is - he hits .280 overall, but does it by hitting .230 one month, .330 the next. I think it was a mistake to keep throwing Melky out there during this last slump, but if this is the beginning of a hot streak, leave him in until he cools off.Don't disagree, but he hasn't really given any indication that he can hit left handed pitching at all. I don't know if you can isolate splits during a "hot stretch" but I'd be interested to see if those get carried by him raking RHP.

OPS+ against LHP ---> 2006 = 86, 2007 = 63, 2008 = 66. Even in 2006 when his splits were closer he still wasn't any good against lefties.

I hope Cash pulls Gardner up and Girardi starts him for a consistent spell against lefties.

Yankee Tripper
06-17-08, 02:37 PM
Anybody hear who will replace Wang on the active roster?

NyyNjnNyg
06-17-08, 03:43 PM
Anybody hear who will replace Wang on the active roster?

Traber

YESSIR!
06-17-08, 03:59 PM
Traber

Traber's a waste.

bigjf
06-17-08, 05:28 PM
Traber's a waste.

Probably short-term replacement.

philleotardo
06-17-08, 10:36 PM
SD/CIN have lefty-heavy lineups, so he will probably last the weekend.

continentalg5
06-17-08, 10:43 PM
What's the delay with promoting Robertson to the bigs??

continentalg5
06-17-08, 10:52 PM
And Gardner?

bigjf
06-17-08, 11:35 PM
Robertson probably needs some more time.

Gardner might be ready, but he also might be trade bait. If that's the case, they wouldn't want to call him up to rot on the bench or risk lowering his value in any way.

groovitude
06-17-08, 11:50 PM
Don't disagree, but he hasn't really given any indication that he can hit left handed pitching at all. I don't know if you can isolate splits during a "hot stretch" but I'd be interested to see if those get carried by him raking RHP.

OPS+ against LHP ---> 2006 = 86, 2007 = 63, 2008 = 66. Even in 2006 when his splits were closer he still wasn't any good against lefties.

I hope Cash pulls Gardner up and Girardi starts him for a consistent spell against lefties.Is there any chance we can get Girardi and Long to get Melky to try batting left-handed against left-handed pitchers?

surge511
06-18-08, 12:56 AM
Traber is probably only on the roster until Giese gets put back in the pen as the long man after his start. I'm assuming Kennedy will take the 5th starter role eventually, and Traber will be gone.

False1
06-18-08, 01:21 AM
Is there any chance we can get Girardi and Long to get Melky to try batting left-handed against left-handed pitchers?I had that same thought groovitude, but not sure how successful it would be after years of switch hitting. Don't see how it could hurt, though I can't see Melky going for it.

yank4life2005
06-21-08, 06:40 PM
How soon until Cashman signs Ledezma who got released from the Padres on 6/10?

dont_ya_know24
06-22-08, 02:36 PM
How soon until Cashman signs Ledezma who got released from the Padres on 6/10?

much rather him than traber...

ksison
06-24-08, 10:37 AM
i'd definitely want to see Gardner in action

bigjf
06-24-08, 10:03 PM
I can picture Brett going to the bar and calling himself "The Gardner." Then using his pick up line, "The Gardner is ready to plant some seeds!" That's gotta get him sooooo much action.

Hobie
06-24-08, 10:05 PM
I can picture Brett going to the bar and calling himself "The Gardner." Then using his pick up line, "The Gardner is ready to plant some seeds!" That's gotta get him sooooo much action.

:roflmao::roflmao: