PDA

View Full Version : The Cox-Melancon-Sanchez Files

themgmt
06-11-08, 01:03 PM
Trying to keep an eye out for these 3 relievers as they approach NY.

In Scranton, J.B. Cox has given up 7 hits and 3 BB in 12.1 IP in 10 appearances for a .81 WHIP and .73 ERA

In Trenton, Mark Melancon has given up 10 hits and 2 walks in 19.2 IP in 7 appearances for a .61 WHIP and 1.37 ERA.

Sanchez threw batting practice for the first time yesterday and will be joining a minor league team sometime this month.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1213162505268780.xml&coll=1

owine
06-11-08, 01:08 PM
Could David Robertson be a possibility to make major league impact in the bullpen?

His latest line in SWB's 6/9 game.
David Robertson: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K (2.45 ERA)

YankeesAce4Life
06-11-08, 01:42 PM
Could David Robertson be a possibility to make major league impact in the bullpen?

With that line I'd DFA Hawkins and bring him up immediately!

Hellsing
06-11-08, 01:49 PM
Melancon & D-Rob are potential all-stars in the BP and heir apparent to replace Mo.

Cox is going to be a solid middle reliever in the majors.

However, if the Yankees call up anyone, it would probably be Patterson.

DontHateOnNumber2
06-11-08, 01:51 PM

There's no doubt in my mind that Robertson and Cox are the next in line for the bullpen. I doubt we're getting anything for Hawkins so the sooner he gets DFA'd the sooner we call up one of these guys.

fellows
06-11-08, 02:14 PM
Cox doesn't have his velocity back yet after surgey and has a low K rate atm. Robertson is still working through some control issues. I don't think these guys are as close as we all hope.

primetime714
06-11-08, 02:15 PM

I think Robertson is next in line ahead of Cox for a major league bid. Robertson is dominating AAA as he has dominated every other level of the minors. His strikeout rates are absurd. He is no longer struggling with control in AAA as he hasn't walked a batter in his last 9 innings pitched.

In his two years (including this one) in the minor leagues he has 125 innings pitched. In those innings he boasts a 12.15 K/9 rate, hasn't given up a single HR, has an ERA of 1.22 and WHIP 0.94. Granted most of those numbers were compiled in A ball, but he has continued a similar rate of success through the upper levels of the system. Those numbers scream late inning reliever.

primetime714
06-11-08, 02:19 PM
Cox doesn't have his velocity back yet after surgey and has a low K rate atm. Robertson is still working through some control issues. I don't think these guys are as close as we all hope.

Robertson has pretty much worked through his control problems as he hasn't walked a batter in his last 9 innings pitched. He also doesn't have a history of control problems he just started off his AAA career with a few too many walks. He did fine in AA with walks and was great last year. I think he is definitely ready whenever the Yankees want to call him up. That's not to say he couldn't benefit from a little more time in AAA, but to say he is not close is simply not true.

Cox was never a hard thrower. He pretty much has his velocity back. Still I agree its too soon to call him up based on a small AAA sample. I don't think he is that far away but a few more weeks in AAA definitely makes sense to me.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
06-11-08, 02:21 PM
What has Cox been throwing?

Prison Mike
06-11-08, 04:45 PM
I'm much more confident in Robertson than Cox right now. Cox needs to get that K rate up before they seriously consider calling him up.

themgmt
06-11-08, 05:22 PM
I originally had David Robertson in the thread title as well and he could be a serviceable reliever as he's doing well in the minors right now.

primetime714
06-11-08, 06:54 PM
Cox hits the 7-day DL retroactive to Sunday, no details yet:

http://emedia.thetimes-tribune.com/Blogs/SWBYankeesBlog/tabid/552/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/3798/Karstens-activated-Cox-placed-on-the-DL.aspx

Prison Mike
06-11-08, 07:58 PM
Better not be his elbow.....

primetime714
06-11-08, 09:35 PM
Better not be his elbow.....

If it was I don't think they would've only placed him on the 7-day DL. My guess is maybe a little fatigue and they just want to give him a week off which makes sense considering this is his first year back from a serious injury. I think he could be pitching again after the minimum 7-days and if not probably not much longer.

Altho this is total speculation on my part, so who knows.

MaximMan121
06-12-08, 01:44 PM
Tendinitis it is, as per Pete Abraham.

3 weeks.

27IsNext
06-12-08, 02:17 PM
Shoulder tendinitis.

just-blaze
06-12-08, 02:59 PM
Please send down Ohly for Robertson, similar groundball tendencies, better K rates, and his command/control isn't any worse than Ohly......at least Robertson has gotten consistent 2 inning+ stints the whole year he'll adjust a lot easier.

Yankees47
06-12-08, 03:19 PM
I wonder how the Yankees handle Melancon who i have seen on multiple occasions throw 3 innings during a game, which is ludacris considering he is coming off an elbow injury and is a Closer/Reliever. Cox has logged those innings in the past as well, possibly a pre curser to this injury

themgmt
06-12-08, 03:30 PM
Yeah Melancon has thrown a lot of innings for so few appearances. He's averaging 2.2+ IP per outing. I wonder what the pitch counts are though.

Prison Mike
06-12-08, 04:26 PM
Shoulder tendinitis.

Ugh- that's bad.

groovitude
06-12-08, 04:55 PM
Please send down Ohly for Robertson, similar groundball tendencies, better K rates, and his command/control isn't any worse than Ohly......at least Robertson has gotten consistent 2 inning+ stints the whole year he'll adjust a lot easier.
Wouldn't it make more sense to replace the most ineffective parts of our bullpen first? Hawkins is, so far, the worst of the bunch statistically and is therefore the most obvious candidate to go.

Yankee Tripper
06-12-08, 05:47 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to replace the most ineffective parts of our bullpen first? Hawkins is, so far, the worst of the bunch statistically and is therefore the most obvious candidate to go.The two are not mutually exclusive and Ohledorf has in fact been every bit as bad as Hawkins.

The easy solution on Ohlendorf is to send a very ineffective young reliever who has never shown great sucess in MiLB or MLB back to the minors.

As for Hawkins, the Yanks would need to DFA him to get rid of him. The Yankees very well may do that and it may be soon but I can see where it would be a tougher decision for them given the fact that Latroy has posted a better than 100 ERA+ in every year since 2002 until this year.

I am baffeled however that Ohledorf keeps getting chance after chance but Britton keeps getting trip after trip to Scranton. It is just mind boggleing to me.

AlbanyColonieYankee
06-12-08, 07:25 PM
Isn't Britton on the DL?

smckdwn989
06-12-08, 07:50 PM
Isn't Britton on the DL?

yep, he ate one too many chicken wings and is on the DL for a strained belly.

seriously though I think he hurt himself warming up.

fellows
06-12-08, 08:44 PM
I am baffeled however that Ohledorf keeps getting chance after chance but Britton keeps getting trip after trip to Scranton. It is just mind boggleing to me.

It's all about "stuff". Guys that throw 95 will always get chance after chance. Command seems to be an afterthought.

Yankee Tripper
06-13-08, 10:51 AM
It's all about "stuff". Guys that throw 95 will always get chance after chance. Command seems to be an afterthought.yes but those chances should come in the minors if you are failing miserably in the bigs, have options and no long(medium) term history of success to indicate this might just be a bump in the road. I agree he has stuff, he just seems to have no concept of what to do with it.

I forgot Britton was on the DL, my bad.

flymick24
06-13-08, 11:23 AM
we'll see robertson in the bronx before any of the names in this thread title

smckdwn989
06-13-08, 11:37 AM

as long as the person he replaces is Hawkins, I will be on board.

CallOfTheCrow
06-13-08, 11:38 AM
as long as the person he replaces is Hawkins, I will be on board.

Wouldn't mind him replacing Ohlendorf either.

TheJobaRules
06-13-08, 11:39 AM

He's ready to be called up now. He's too good for AAA hitters at this point.

smckdwn989
06-13-08, 11:40 AM
Wouldn't mind him replacing Ohlendorf either.

that's a fair assessment too.

JeffWeaverFan
06-15-08, 09:39 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06152008/sports/yankees/joba_ii_______with_a_twist_115501.htm

THERE are two young relievers on the fast track to Yankee Stadium, one you've heard about - Mark Melancon. The other has been quietly streaking up the ranks. His name is David Robertson.

Remember the name. When you see him pitch, you'll certainly remember the curve ball. That's his out pitch, a pitch that is a lost art to this baseball generation.

"His curve ball is amazing," says one National League scout, who recently saw Robertson pitch. "Combine that with the command of his fastball, and you really have something special."

Robertson, 23, recently was promoted from Double-A Trenton to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Last June, I wrote about another young pitcher in the Yankees (http://shots.snap.com/explore/7108/?key=06028f986cd52d8275d29a0001c8914b&svc=Snap_Shot_Custom%257CNew_York_Post%257CNYPost_Sports_Teams%257CWithAds&tag=New%20York%20Yankees&src=&cp=&asp=Yankees&dfs=9&tol=engage) New York Yankees http://i.ixnp.com/images/v3.34.0.1/t.gif system who was better than Phil Hughes (http://shots.snap.com/explore/86181/?key=06028f986cd52d8275d29a0001c8914b&svc=Snap_Shot_Custom%257CNew_York_Post%257CNYPost_Sports_Players%257CWithAds&tag=Phil%20Hughes&src=&cp=&asp=Phil%20Hughes&dfs=9&tol=engage) Phil Hughes http://i.ixnp.com/images/v3.34.0.1/t.gif and Ian Kennedy, even though those two pitchers were getting all the pub. His name was Joba Chamberlain.

Robertson is not in the same speed class as Chamberlain, but he could wind up inheriting his setup role in the bullpen. He's that talented.

"He might be the guy," GM Brian Cashman says of Robertson.

TheJobaRules
06-15-08, 10:53 AM
"He might be the guy," GM Brian Cashman says of Robertson.

Joy to the world. :D

themgmt
06-25-08, 02:56 PM
Sanchez threw 28 pitches for the GCL Yankees

.2IP, 2BB, 1 H, 1R

It's a start

flymick24
06-25-08, 03:09 PM
at least he's throwing

Pinstripe Pride23
06-25-08, 03:12 PM
at least he's throwing

Sanchez lives!!!!!!

themgmt
07-07-08, 06:17 PM
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Humberto%20Sanchez&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=458008

5 games, 4.2 IP, 1.93 ERA, 3H, 3BB, 5SO, .188 BAA.

At this rate, you probably won't see Sanchez this year unless he's a September call up. I could see Cox coming up soon and Melancon getting the promotion to AAA. If the Yankees are in the thick of things come mid August, I think they'll both be up to replace Hawkins/Traber

primetime714
07-07-08, 07:32 PM
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Humberto%20Sanchez&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=458008

At this rate, you probably won't see Sanchez this year unless he's a September call up. I could see Cox coming up soon and Melancon getting the promotion to AAA. If the Yankees are in the thick of things come mid August, I think they'll both be up to replace Hawkins/Traber

Good stuff. Sanchez may be a September callup only because he is on the 40-man roster.

Melancon I don't think gets called up unless we need him. He'll move up to AAA but he is still on a rehab type of schedule as the Yankees try to build up his arm strength. Also given the number of innings he has pitched already its entirely possible that he'll get shut down at the end of August.

Then when you look at the rest of our bullpen there really isn't a reason to rush him. I mean Veras, Edwar, Robertson, and Farnsworth are all pitching well. Bruney will be back in a couple weeks. Cox and Strickland are both trying to beat down the door to the majors. Then we have standby options like Patterson and Britton (when healthy).

Melancon may get called up this year but there certainly isn't a reason to rush it. Newman and the rest of the Yankees' front office seem to agree as they've said its likely that Melancon won't be in the majors this year.

We don't need another Joba to come up and save our bullpen, its in pretty good shape right now.

TheJobaRules
07-07-08, 07:43 PM
We don't need another Joba to come up and save our bullpen, its in pretty good shape right now.

I couldn't agree more.

NelsonMuntz
07-07-08, 10:23 PM

I'm just excited that he's throwing. I hope he can stay healthy.

Serge
07-08-08, 11:12 AM
Cox in his last 4 games:

7.1IP, 12H, 8ER, 5BB, 4K 9.82ERA

Hellsing
07-08-08, 11:14 AM
Cox in his last 4 games:

7.1IP, 12H, 8ER, 5BB, 4K 9.82ERA

Seems like his shoulder is still giving him issues.

dont_ya_know24
07-08-08, 12:34 PM
or maybe it's one of those cases where he's working on refining his pitches or command and isn't really looking for results. (i.e. wang in ST, or ohlendorf in the minors.)

BennyTheJetRodriguez
07-08-08, 05:32 PM
His K totals have been low all year and his GB% has dropped as well. His stuff/command might just not be all the way back yet and we haven't seen it reflect in his stats until now.

themgmt
07-29-08, 06:40 AM
Cox has been struggling. Melancon was promoted to AAA yesterday.

Sanchez is doing relatively well in the GCL. He has been pitching 1 inning at a time every 3-5 days. He hadn't given up a run since his first appearance until yesterday when he gave up 2 runs.

Robertson is with the big club so no need to update him here.

aeromac76
07-29-08, 08:43 AM
Seems like his shoulder is still giving him issues.

Probably still not fully sharp.
I doubt he is still injured, I just think he needs work to get sharp..

wang+cano=future
07-29-08, 08:43 AM
Excited for Melancon to be in AAA.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-29-08, 09:03 AM
Excited for Melancon to be in AAA.

It's been a solid year for him. I bet they start him in AAA next year, and we see him in short order if he has success

genius-24
07-29-08, 10:12 AM
Marky Mark is sure thing.

continentalg5
07-29-08, 11:22 AM
I've never seen him pitch, how is his command presence on the mound?

flymick24
07-29-08, 01:51 PM
he's coming back from TJS, so his command isn't where he wants for it to be, at least according to his own words, but the stats show that he's been pretty good and will only get beter next year

his mound presence and mental makeup are off the charts

BennyTheJetRodriguez
07-30-08, 08:05 AM
I doubt Melancon sees any time in the minors next season baring an injury.