PDA

View Full Version : Whither Hughes and Kennedy in 2008?

matcohen
06-08-08, 09:56 PM
Hughes and kennedy are on the DL. At some point in 2008, they will be ready to rejoin the rotation (health-wise).
<br>
So what should the Yankees do? Options:
<br>
1) Have them pitch out of the bullpen - sounds like a bad idea at least for Hughes as the Yanks want to stretch him as much as possible. The Yanks seem comfident that Kennedy can pitch a bunch of innings, so maybe a long relief spot would not be so terrible for him to get him used to pitching to major league hitters.
<br>
2) Replace one of the starters with one of both of them. Who? Wang is in theory our ace. It woluld be an un-Yankee-like humiliation of Pettite his recent crappy performance notwithstanding. Moose has pitched well. Rasner is our best pitcher in 2008. We are trying to give Joba the experience he needs to be a #1 so no way does he get sent to the pen again.
<br>
3. Send them to AAA for more seasoning. This is not as nutty as it seems. They rocketed through the minors last year and given their age and experience, were clearly over hyped.
<br>
I vote for #3 for both of them. Maybe Kennedy becomes a long reliever if he gets his walk rate down in AAA.
<br>
The problem is that I have no idea what to do about 2009.
Wang<br>
Sabathia<br>
Pettite?<br>
Spring training battle for Kenendy, Hughes, Rasner and Horne.
<br>Maybe we trade Rasner for a young 1B prospect.
Of course, this all changes if the Yanks fall behind and tank the season. Start the big 3, Wang and Rasner. Thank Andy and Moose for the memories and play for 2009. I can't imagine the ank doing that but who knows? It sure will be an interesting year.

27IsNext
06-08-08, 09:58 PM
Sabathia, Wang and either Sheets or Burnett (assuming he opts out). Resign Giambi to a two-year deal.

matcohen
06-08-08, 10:00 PM
I hate Burnett - injured too much.
Sheets is also an injury risk.
Didn't we have enough fun with Pavano?

CallOfTheCrow
06-08-08, 10:19 PM

While all 3 are injury risks, Pavano is on his own little planet when it comes to being fragile.

27IsNext
06-08-08, 10:26 PM

Both of these pitchers are actually good pitchers when they're healthy. Pavano is mediocre at best. Considering how poorly Hughes and Kennedy responded to the pressure of having to be major cogs in our rotation (as opposed to being merely fourth or fifth starters), having a good top three is essential for them going forward.

ArodMVP217
06-08-08, 10:29 PM
is it your thinking that we would at least know what we are getting with sheets/burnett and won't expect them to contribute 230 innings like we probably did with pavano?

ArodMVP217
06-08-08, 10:30 PM
I'd rather we signed harden if oakland doesn't pick up his option. he struck out teh side on 9 pitches! who does that in today's game? Vlad hit a homer sky-high pop up style with his bat well ahead of a changeup

Edit: Move to the Who doy you want/not want in 2009 thread, jaja

SoCal Pinstriper
06-08-08, 10:34 PM
Sabathia, Wang and either Sheets or Burnett (assuming he opts out). Resign Giambi to a two-year deal. I am in complete agreement with this plan. Better Giambi for 2ys/20 mil than Tex for 7yrs/140.

If Moose continues on his current form, I would re-up him as insurance.

ArodMVP217
06-08-08, 10:36 PM
then we got to listen to lupica saying how we are old and overpaid, i couldn't take that

matcohen
06-08-08, 10:43 PM
The question is what to do with Hughes and Kennedy in 2008?

-tz
06-08-08, 11:40 PM
The question is what to do with Hughes and Kennedy in 2008?What makes you think that? Surely not the topic title? :confused:

I say cross that bridge when we get to it. One of the other starters may be injured by then. But if everyone remains healthy and keeps pitching approximately as they are now, I guess you go with Alternative 3.

smckdwn989
06-09-08, 12:30 AM
I am in complete agreement with this plan. Better Giambi for 2ys/20 mil than Tex for 7yrs/140.

If Moose continues on his current form, I would re-up him as insurance.

if the yankees can get giambi for 2 years 20 million i would be all over it, granted he stays healthy.

i actually project the rotation to be:

sabathia, wang, pettite, joba, hughes. now if they choose not to being back pettitte (i expect him to turn it around) then ben sheets or maybe brad penny would be good choices to slot into the the 3 man. mussina is another option, but i can see him getting more years from a team like philadelphia.

Bub
06-09-08, 06:12 AM
Barring any unforeseen injuries to the starting 5, both should return to AAA and work in that rotation. Despite Hughes troubles this year, he still has a lot of talent and should be the first one back to fill a hole that may occur. Kennedy is a AAA pitcher right now, and IMO will continue to be just that unless he can develop a better or another breaking pitch.

Veovis
06-09-08, 06:40 AM
Jeez. Imagine the money it will take to sign Sabathia and Burnett/Sheets. I guess it doesn't matter. The Yankees have unlimited resources and all, right?

TheBamTino24
06-09-08, 06:53 AM
The question is what to do with Hughes and Kennedy in 2008?

I think it's simple. Both are injured and will rehab in the Minors. If Rasner continues to pitch as well as he has, that's where they'll stay.

If Rasner falters, or somebody gets hurt, whichever is doing better will be recalled.

Good, healthy competition.

TheBamTino24
06-09-08, 06:54 AM
Jeez. Imagine the money it will take to sign Sabathia and Burnett/Sheets. I guess it doesn't matter. The Yankees have unlimited resources and all, right?

I'd prefer Sabathia to both of them. You figure the Yanks will have to sign someone for insurance especially if Pettitte and/or Mussina are not coming back.

NYDCYankee
06-09-08, 07:45 AM
How about this? How about whenever Pettitte is pitching in a game where he is suddenly given the lead, you take him out right away before he can cough it up, and then you bring in either Kennedy or Hughes.

teknetic
06-09-08, 08:13 AM

They have quite a bit coming off the payroll if they don't bring back Abreu, Pettitte, Giambi, and Moose.

Hellsing
06-09-08, 09:55 AM
I would like to see Hughes and Kennedy get their shot, but the SP is starting to look better with every GOOD Rasner & Chamberlain start. If someone gets hurt, then I think Horne should be given the chance to start. Out of everyone else who is ready, i.e. not hurt, he has the highest upside. Hughes will need some time to get back into shape and might be better served pitching in AAA the rest of the year. You do not trade Hughes.

Wang
Pettitte
Moose
Chamberlain
Rasner

CC
Chamberlain
Wang
Hughes
?????? (IPK/Rasner/Horne)

If the Yanks sign CC and can package Rasner/IPK (IPK/Horne etc) to pick up something useful, then you do it. The Yankees have RHP in the minors coming up, and if they can trade 2 good prospects for 1 good LHP prospect then go for it.

CC gives you a LHP that you DO NOT currently have in the system.

You do not need Sheets. He's injured ALL the time.
Chamberlain is already a better version of Burnett. You sign CC, then you have the best rotation in baseball for 2009.

iWant27
06-09-08, 10:00 AM
wow , everyone is so sure that Sabathia would pitch for the Yankees next year .

yankeebot
06-09-08, 10:08 AM
wow , everyone is so sure that Sabathia would pitch for the Yankees next year . I'm not so sure he will but I strongly suspect he would.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9079/404ccsabathiaiz9.jpg

JavyVazquezIsSick
06-09-08, 10:09 AM

Do you have any idea how crappy Cleveland is? He'd probably take a discount to pitch for the Yankees.

Hellsing
06-09-08, 10:45 AM

Pinstripes are slimming.

NYDCYankee
06-09-08, 01:38 PM

I want Sheets, better pitcher, smaller commitment.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
06-09-08, 02:05 PM
I want Sheets, better pitcher, smaller commitment.
I agree that its a smaller commitment.

a2ruYankee
06-09-08, 02:52 PM
I am ok with the growing pains of this year.

Keep Kennedy, Hughes & Chamberlain in the pitching lineup. On the job experience. We arent winning the WS this year.

Wang and Pettitte sprinkled with starts from above young guns plus Rasner.

Mussina - I will be happy when he is gone.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
06-09-08, 02:58 PM
Kennedy is worth more as trade bait.

Cheesyhoboe
06-09-08, 05:12 PM
Even if we keep Kennedy, with all the good pitching prospects we have in the farm he probably isn't going to be here long term. That said, I think trading him now would be a pretty bad idea considering his ERA is above 7. Not going to get much value for him at all.

And Sheets will be cheaper than C.C. but 2x more likely to get injured. Thinking of him brings shades of Carl Pavano. Even if he wins the Cy Young this year I would be wary of signing him, injury-ridden pitchers are bad.