PDA

View Full Version : Yankees V2.0 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

matcohen
06-08-08, 10:36 PM
The Yanks are trying to transition form over the hill, overpaid vets to young, home grown talent. I decided to start a thread on progress for the top tier emerging (hopefully) talent so far this year. AA and above.
<br>
The good
<br>
Joba - Joba has proven that he can be a top tier reliever. I don't think that he has shown that he can be a #1/#2 starter yet - he doesn't have good enough control and must rely on pure heat, which you can't do for 6+ innings. He also walks too many people and that will eventually kill you as a starter. I see a 4.00-4.50 ERA for him as a starter unless he can get better control of his pitches.
<br>
Rasner - great surprise - who would have thought that he'd be our best pitcher at this point.
<br>
Melancon - recovering really well from TJ - numbers are especially impressive when you consider that he is pitching in 203 inning stints. Should be promoted to AAA soon. Possible end of year callup.
<br>
Cox - so far so good on the TJ recovery. We'd like to see more K's at AAA.
<br>
Ramirez - seems to be doing well - needs to cut down on the walks a bit - should be a decent reliever at low cost.
<br>
Robertson - terrific at AAA - would be nice if he could cut down on the walks a bit. Should be ready for the bigs this year.
<br>
Veras - doing ok in the bigs - a cheap average reliever.
<br>
Austin Jackson - holding his own at AA. Compare his stats to uber prospect Cameron Maybin.
<br>
Gardner - showing some power to go with his high OBP and speed. Should be an average CF (which is worth $7-$10mm/yr)
<br>
The Bad
<br>
Horne - hurt hasn't pitched much - a big bummer
<br>
Duncan, Shelley - not hitting much
<br>
Cervelli - hurt - bummer as it would have been nice to see if he could have competed for the backup job in ST.
<br>
Tabata - not hitting for average or power, bad attitude. Major disappointment.
<br>
The Ugly
<br>
Hughes - high walk rate, low k rate, injured. Can't be counted on for next year's rotation. Huge disappointment.
<br>
Kennedy - high walk rate, low k rate, injured. Can't be counted on for next year's rotation. Huge disappointment.
<br>
Marquez - I was never that high on him - a sinkerballer who does not get that many GBs is no great story. He has stunk up AAA.
<br>
Miranda - hurt and can't hit lefties.
<br>
The ok
<br>
Bruney - was doing ok (2 HRs in 11 IP, lots of walks) - now is hurt
<br>
Ohlendorf - look at his lefty, righty splits - ugly. He is not a long man. Should face 2-3 righties and sit down.
<br>
Duncan, Eric - better but not better enough yet to force himself into the 2009 1B discussion.
<br>
Kontos - walk rate is up, not dominating at AA. Giving up too many long balls.

<br>
Net, net this has not been a good first third for Yankees 2.0. The relievers are looking good with Edwar and Veras holding their own in the bigs and the little 3 (Cox, Robertson and Melancon) pitching well in the minors but next year's rotation is a giant question mark. Beyond Wang (who has his own issues), Joba walks too many to be a #1/#2, Hughes and Kennedy have been disasters, Andy has not pitched well (and who knows if he wants to come back) and Moose is likely gone. Horne has pitched very little. Rasner has pitched well but is he really the kind of starter we want in the AL East? He's not much of a bat misser. And we have no one to play first base once Giambi leaves.
<br>
2009 is looking like another transition year.

philleotardo
06-09-08, 12:16 AM
The Yanks are trying to transition form over the hill, overpaid vets to young, home grown talent. I decided to start a thread on progress for the top tier emerging (hopefully) talent so far this year. AA and above.

The good

Joba - Joba has proven that he can be a top tier reliever. I don't think that he has shown that he can be a #1/#2 starter yet - he doesn't have good enough control and must rely on pure heat, which you can't do for 6+ innings. He also walks too many people and that will eventually kill you as a starter. I see a 4.00-4.50 ERA for him as a starter unless he can get better control of his pitches.

Rasner - great surprise - who would have thought that he'd be our best pitcher at this point.

Melancon - recovering really well from TJ - numbers are especially impressive when you consider that he is pitching in 203 inning stints. Should be promoted to AAA soon. Possible end of year callup.

Cox - so far so good on the TJ recovery. We'd like to see more K's at AAA.

Ramirez - seems to be doing well - needs to cut down on the walks a bit - should be a decent reliever at low cost.

Robertson - terrific at AAA - would be nice if he could cut down on the walks a bit. Should be ready for the bigs this year.

Veras - doing ok in the bigs - a cheap average reliever.

Austin Jackson - holding his own at AA. Compare his stats to uber prospect Cameron Maybin.

Gardner - showing some power to go with his high OBP and speed. Should be an average CF (which is worth $7-$10mm/yr)

The Bad

Horne - hurt hasn't pitched much - a big bummer

Duncan, Shelley - not hitting much

Cervelli - hurt - bummer as it would have been nice to see if he could have competed for the backup job in ST.

Tabata - not hitting for average or power, bad attitude. Major disappointment.

The Ugly

Hughes - high walk rate, low k rate, injured. Can't be counted on for next year's rotation. Huge disappointment.

Kennedy - high walk rate, low k rate, injured. Can't be counted on for next year's rotation. Huge disappointment.

Marquez - I was never that high on him - a sinkerballer who does not get that many GBs is no great story. He has stunk up AAA.

Miranda - hurt and can't hit lefties.

The ok

Bruney - was doing ok (2 HRs in 11 IP, lots of walks) - now is hurt

Ohlendorf - look at his lefty, righty splits - ugly. He is not a long man. Should face 2-3 righties and sit down.

Duncan, Eric - better but not better enough yet to force himself into the 2009 1B discussion.

Kontos - walk rate is up, not dominating at AA. Giving up too many long balls.

Net, net this has not been a good first third for Yankees 2.0. The relievers are looking good with Edwar and Veras holding their own in the bigs and the little 3 (Cox, Robertson and Melancon) pitching well in the minors but next year's rotation is a giant question mark. Beyond Wang (who has his own issues), Joba walks too many to be a #1/#2, Hughes and Kennedy have been disasters, Andy has not pitched well (and who knows if he wants to come back) and Moose is likely gone. Horne has pitched very little. Rasner has pitched well but is he really the kind of starter we want in the AL East? He's not much of a bat misser. And we have no one to play first base once Giambi leaves.

2009 is looking like another transition year.Don't lump Horne in with the bad just yet. Had a nice little first start back from injury. He will be throwing his name back in the mix before long.

matcohen
06-09-08, 12:39 AM
He has not progressed one iota in 1/3 of a season - that is bad for the Yanks.
I am not saying that he is bad. Just that he has made no progress so far in 2008 and that is bad.

PinstripePride
06-09-08, 04:40 AM
Hughes will be fine once healthy.

themgmt
06-09-08, 12:22 PM
I love your summation that Joba has no control after 6 IP.

Cheesyhoboe
06-09-08, 06:15 PM
What a knee-jerk reaction topic.

rpbri2886
06-09-08, 06:48 PM
What a knee-jerk reaction topic.

Seriously. I don't like coming on these boards after a loss anymore.

It seems like everything is all rose colored glasses, or super negative, depending on what the Yanks did that day.

JL25and3
06-09-08, 06:52 PM
Isn't this exactly the sort of mega-thread this forum was meant to avoid?