PDA

View Full Version : Player Perfomrance To This Point - How Ironic

The Q Bomb
06-05-08, 07:18 PM
Just think back to what most Yankee fans, particularly those on this forum, were saying last off-season. "Don't trade the young arms." "Get rid of Mussina." "Get rid of Giambi!" "Trade Matsui - he's an albatross." "Keep Melky." (Well, I'll admit that last one was 50-50.) "Mariano's going to have a rough year. It's time to groom his successor (Joba) and phase Mariano out." "Trade Damon - for anybody." "With Girardi's "boot camp" approach we won't see injuries like we did last year."

Well, let's look at how things have played out so far:

Our young arms have exactly 0 (zero) wins between the 3 of them.
Mussina has 8 wins - more than any other pitcher on The Yanks.
Giambi, gave the "get rid ofs" plenty of vindication in April but has sure taken the steam out of that opinion in the last month.
Matsui - has been the only guy on this team to produce all season so far.
Melky after a very brief good start has gone back to disappointing most of us (and I exempt today's terrible gaffe from that assesment).
Mariano's been undescribably good.
So far Damon has played better than he has the previous two seasons.
The Yankees must lead the league in injured players!It just goes to show us all how unpredictable baseball is. I didn't even bring up Rasner because there wasn't much comment on him - most of us just wrote him off. Of course, it's a very small sample size, but look how good he's been for us in that time.

I also didn't bring up Cano, because there was very little debate about his value - most of us were thrilled he signed a long term contract because we "knew" he would hit .300 plus.

I happen to be one of those folks who prefered to see Joba remain in the pen - I hope I'm as wrong about him becoming a starter as many of us have been so far about our pre-season assumptions.

Right now, I'm feeling like The Yankees are not making the playoffs this year. I hope the unpredictability of baseball proves me wrong about that too.

False1
06-05-08, 07:21 PM
Definitely a season filled with ironies so far. You forgot to mention that the Rays were in first place in June!! :D

And I still think the Yanks have a legit shot at the AL East, certainly the wild card.

sweet_lou_14
06-05-08, 07:25 PM
Definitely a season filled with ironies so far. You forgot to mention that the Rays were in first place in June!! :D

And I still think the Yanks have a legit shot at the AL East, certainly the wild card.

Interesting thread, and all good points.

This team drives me nuts sometimes (I bailed halfway through the game thread out of frustration, and a desire not to make an ass out of myself with negative posts) but they are only 5 games back in the loss column with 102 games to play. They can do this.

NZ NYY Fan
06-05-08, 07:25 PM
Just to nit pick - Mussina has nine wins

But a good post. I agree with nearly all of it.

I didn't want to trade Hughes, Kennedy, or Melky - and I'm still glad we didn't. They all have futures on this team, in my opinion

One thing that isn't ironic - no one thought Farns would be good this season, and apart from a decent stint in late April, he isn't.

Cano - I'm hoping that the trend of him being a summer hitter continues. I like him on this team, partially because I fail to see us getting anyone better in the near future. He's taleneted, cost controlled, a good fielder, and when he hits, its consistent.

a-RobinsonCano-Fan
06-05-08, 07:48 PM
good thread.

Matsui, Damon and Giambi are probably our best hitters up to this point.

Mussina and Rasner are probably our best pitchers up to this point.

who woulda thought...

Ynkcpt23
06-05-08, 08:33 PM
Interesting thread, and all good points.

This team drives me nuts sometimes (I bailed halfway through the game thread out of frustration, and a desire not to make an ass out of myself with negative posts) but they are only 5 games back in the loss column with 102 games to play. They can do this.

Good point. I am also enjoying this thread--I have been all over the place in terms of what I think of the season as it has come about--so I won't even pretend that I haven't been completely surprised. The bad (and it's very bad): the young pitching outside of Joba. The good: we survived an absolutely miserable beginning. Who could have predicted two years in a row with this many injury problems and a cobbled together staff?!?!

The Q Bomb
06-05-08, 09:31 PM
I agree, despite my "woe is us" statement about the playoffs, that we do still have a chance and the fact that we are only five games out after all the injuries, all the disappointments, all the bad baseball, and what seems like a 10 Boston 10-game winning streaks!

Yes, I guess Tampa being in first place is the biggest irony, however, I did think they would be good this year - just not this good.

As far as the remainder of the season I am really curious to see:

If Hughes is able to fully recover and return to the rotation this season and how he will do; after all he is recovering from a broken rib, will have to start wearing glasses, and feel even more pressure due to his terrible pre-injury start.
If Ian Kennedy can turn things around. With him, I'm beginning to question his make-up more than his ability, unfortunately. I hope he puts those questions to rest.
How Posada holds up to the rigors of the rest (2/3rds) of the season.
If A-Rod is going to have a repeat of his 2006 this year. I'm hoping that at least after the All-Star Game we catch a glimpse of the 2007 MVP.
If Darrel Rasner can continue his quality pitching for the rest of the season.
If Melky has reached his ceiling.
If Mussina remains healthy for the rest of the season.
What is going on with Andy and perhaps, most importantly:
If Wang can straighten out whatever has gone wrong for him and return to his # 1 form.

DJ27
06-05-08, 09:35 PM
If Wang can straighten out whatever has gone wrong for him and return to his # 1 form.

Wang is our #1 but is still not an ace! He is a solid 2/3 on a championship pitching staff.

groovitude
06-05-08, 10:21 PM
Wang is our #1 but is still not an ace! He is a solid 2/3 on a championship pitching staff.
Based on the numbers from the past month or so, I would not say that Wang is our #1 beyond his designated spot in the rotation. He is struggling something awful, and am waiting with eager anticipation for him to break out of his funk. It's unnerving to see one of the cornerstones of your rotation and your ballclub look less than steady.

Just some quick numbers:
* Wang holds a 3.79 ERA lifetime; over that time, the league has pitched to the tune of a 4.39 ERA, for a career ERA+ of 116.

* For 2008, he is pitching to a 4.57 ERA, with a league ERA of 4.09, for an ERA+ of 90.

* On May 2nd, he garnered his last winning decision of the year to date, having won six of his first seven starts (and getting no decision in the only non-win). Since then, he has thrown 37.6 IP and allowed 27 ER, for an ERA of 6.45 (ERA+ of 63).

* Despite not having recorded a win since May 2nd, however, the New York Yankees are 10-3 in games he has started.

a-RobinsonCano-Fan
06-05-08, 10:28 PM
* Despite not having recorded a win since May 2nd, however, the New York Yankees are 10-3 in games he has started.

yes, i noticed this also. usually when Wang isnt pitching 1- hitters, hes getting rocked. but we somehow manage to crawl back and get him the ND

PJMPirate
06-05-08, 10:35 PM
I'd just like to point out that I predicted Giambi and Mussina would have good years... :o

montrealer
06-07-08, 06:24 AM
If Moose is going to lead this staff in wins.....it will not bode well in the end for this teams of misfits.

a-RobinsonCano-Fan
09-04-08, 11:39 PM
If Moose is going to lead this staff in wins.....it will not bode well in the end for this teams of misfits.

You called it

Bub
09-05-08, 06:15 PM
You called itYup. However, he'll soon have a change of heart.

The Q Bomb
09-07-08, 07:52 PM
Just think back to what most Yankee fans, particularly those on this forum, were saying last off-season. "Don't trade the young arms." "Get rid of Mussina." "Get rid of Giambi!" "Trade Matsui - he's an albatross." "Keep Melky." (Well, I'll admit that last one was 50-50.) "Mariano's going to have a rough year. It's time to groom his successor (Joba) and phase Mariano out." "Trade Damon - for anybody." "With Girardi's "boot camp" approach we won't see injuries like we did last year."

Well, let's look at how things have played out so far:

Our young arms have exactly 0 (zero) wins between the 3 of them.
Mussina has 8 wins - more than any other pitcher on The Yanks.
Giambi, gave the "get rid ofs" plenty of vindication in April but has sure taken the steam out of that opinion in the last month.
Matsui - has been the only guy on this team to produce all season so far.
Melky after a very brief good start has gone back to disappointing most of us (and I exempt today's terrible gaffe from that assesment).
Mariano's been undescribably good.
So far Damon has played better than he has the previous two seasons.
The Yankees must lead the league in injured players!It just goes to show us all how unpredictable baseball is. I didn't even bring up Rasner because there wasn't much comment on him - most of us just wrote him off. Of course, it's a very small sample size, but look how good he's been for us in that time.

I also didn't bring up Cano, because there was very little debate about his value - most of us were thrilled he signed a long term contract because we "knew" he would hit .300 plus.

I happen to be one of those folks who prefered to see Joba remain in the pen - I hope I'm as wrong about him becoming a starter as many of us have been so far about our pre-season assumptions.

Right now, I'm feeling like The Yankees are not making the playoffs this year. I hope the unpredictability of baseball proves me wrong about that too.

Wow - I saw this thread bumped up; I hadn't even remembered writing it.

Here it is 3 months after the original post - two of the three young arms STILL have no wins; one just came off the DL.
Mussina still has more wins than anyone else on the staff - and again has little chance to win 20.
Giambi's entire season has made the question of re-signing him or more correctly picking up his option, a moot point.
Matsui - has STILL been the only guy on this team to produce like expected (when he wasn't injured).
Melky after a very brief good start has fullfilled the predictions of pessimists and his worst detractors, unfortunately.
Mariano's been undescribably good - STILL.
So far Damon has STILL played better than he has the previous two seasons.
The Yankees STILL must lead the league in injured players!