PDA

View Full Version : Mussina to start the All-star game???

azzurribaggio
06-05-08, 02:41 AM
You know I'll eat my crow...but a month ago I would've said you were smoking some low-grade crack with that comment......but jeez with the win tonight he's tied for the lead in the AL....if Mike is at 11 or 12 wins (he has at least 5-6 starts before the All-Star break) I think he should at least make the squad..... MAN!!!!!

Mike sign!!!!!

Stick Michael
06-05-08, 03:13 AM
Mussina is the only Yankees pitcher aside from Mo and possibly Chamberlain that warrants consideration, but at this point I think it's a stretch to justify his getting the nod for AL starter. The 9 wins have been a pleasant surprise and he has exceeded the expectations of most people, but he has an ERA right around 4.00 and averages a shade above 5 innings per start. Solid numbers, especially considering what he was expected to contribute, but there are a number of pitchers who have made more compelling cases for the starting nod.

Comparisons:

Mike Mussina (9-4, 4.01 ERA, 13 GS, 67.1 IP, 39 K, 1.28 WHIP)

Cliff Lee (9-1, 2.45 ERA, 11 GS, 77 IP, 65 K, 1.04 WHIP)
Joe Saunders (9-2, 2.63 ERA, 12 GS, 82 IP, 39 K, 1.09 WHIP)
Ervin Santana (8-2, 3.02 ERA, 12 GS, 83.1 IP, 67 K, 0.98 WHIP)
Roy Halladay (7-5, 2.94 ERA, 12 GS, 95 IP, 74 K, 1.00 WHIP)

Source of statistics: mlb.com

Huktonfonix
06-05-08, 03:36 AM
Mussina's been great, but he doesn't have that many good innings left on that 39 year-old arm. I'd hate to see even one of them wasted on a meaningless exhibition game.

AMYanks
06-05-08, 03:41 AM
If he's still around the top of the league in wins and has a respectable ERA and WHIP (even just a little lower than they currently are), I think Francona should start him. It's Yankee Stadium, let him throw the first inning. I find it hard to believe other more "deserving" starters would get all bent out of shape.

Dcaptain
06-05-08, 03:54 AM
If he's still around the top of the league in wins and has a respectable ERA and WHIP (even just a little lower than they currently are), I think Francona should start him. It's Yankee Stadium, let him throw the first inning. I find it hard to believe other more "deserving" starters would get all bent out of shape.

he may not be the starter..but he will throw a pitch at the ASG...

mbn007
06-05-08, 07:16 AM
Mussina is the only Yankees pitcher aside from Mo and possibly Chamberlain that warrants consideration, but at this point I think it's a stretch to justify his getting the nod for AL starter. The 9 wins have been a pleasant surprise and he has exceeded the expectations of most people, but he has an ERA right around 4.00 and averages a shade above 5 innings per start. Solid numbers, especially considering what he was expected to contribute, but there are a number of pitchers who have made more compelling cases for the starting nod.

Comparisons:

Mike Mussina (9-4, 4.01 ERA, 13 GS, 67.1 IP, 39 K, 1.28 WHIP)

Cliff Lee (9-1, 2.45 ERA, 11 GS, 77 IP, 65 K, 1.04 WHIP)
Joe Saunders (9-2, 2.63 ERA, 12 GS, 82 IP, 39 K, 1.09 WHIP)
Ervin Santana (8-2, 3.02 ERA, 12 GS, 83.1 IP, 67 K, 0.98 WHIP)
Roy Halladay (7-5, 2.94 ERA, 12 GS, 95 IP, 74 K, 1.00 WHIP)

Source of statistics: mlb.com

Lee or Sanders should get the nod to start the All Star game. Both are having solid seasons, and also are good "stories", pitching much better than what was expected from them. That said, I think Moose has a shot to make the squad. Mo will be the only other Yankee pitcher. Joba is a tween-er. Not enough innings as a relief pitcher to say he belongs, and his time as a starter will be to rocky to justly qualify.

In fact, aside from Jeter and A-Rod, who the fans may vote in as starters, only Matsui has a shot from the regulars, and that is mainly because Ortiz is hurt.

silverdsl
06-05-08, 07:22 AM
I don't know if he'll start the All-Star game but considering how most wrote Mussina off completely before the start of this season I think it's pretty awesome for him that he's pitching well enough to where he might be considered.

BRNXBMRS
06-05-08, 07:38 AM
It would be nice, for moose to start the game at YS. Nice ending.

Giddyup5
06-05-08, 07:43 AM
someone mentioned this last night during the broadcast.

How cool would it be for Mariano to start the Allstar game and pitch the first inning. I know he is the closer but I think it would be awesome to see.

BRNXBMRS
06-05-08, 07:50 AM

How cool would it be for Mariano to start the Allstar game and pitch the first inning. I know he is the closer but I think it would be awesome to see.

Or Moose to start & Mo to finish.

I Heart Jeter
06-05-08, 08:05 AM
I thought Wang was a shoe-in a few weeks ago but he has unfortunately stumbled since then. It would be awesome to have Mussina start the game. It would also be nice to have as few Red Sox players in the game as possible

swityak11
06-05-08, 08:20 AM
Is the Win Method rearing its ugly head again?

I Heart Jeter
06-05-08, 08:43 AM

It's called hometown love

TheBamTino24
06-05-08, 08:55 AM
Start the game? I'd say now. But as of today, he's on the roster with Mariano Rivera from the NYY pitching staff.

Joba Chamberlain is an interesting case.

shadyridr
06-05-08, 08:57 AM
Chamberlain? What are you guys smoking?

sabermet prospectus
06-05-08, 09:17 AM
you know if moose wins over 15 games this year suddenly his hall of fame candidacy takes a huge leap forward.

TheBamTino24
06-05-08, 09:19 AM

Has there been a more dominant middle relief pitcher in the AL this year? His transition to starter over the month of June takes him out of the running though I would think...

...unless he dominates in June.

swityak11
06-05-08, 09:23 AM
Has there been a more dominant middle relief pitcher in the AL this year?Brandon Morrow comes to mind as having been better. I'm sure there's a few more.

All middle relievers have small sample sizes though at this point.

mitch300
06-05-08, 09:26 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Joba has no chance of making the ASG.

Mr. Mxylsplk
06-05-08, 09:31 AM
Has there been a more dominant middle relief pitcher in the AL this year? His transition to starter over the month of June takes him out of the running though I would think...unless he dominates in June.
Yes, several. I agree with you about his transition, but if he remained in his current role, and performed as he had been, he still wouldn't make it. He's been great. He hasn't been great enough to make it as a non-closer reliever.

ynkefan23
06-05-08, 09:41 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Joba has no chance of making the ASG.

I third that motion.

PS- If Mussina starts the ASG, I'll be playing 2b.

brosiusbuddy
06-05-08, 09:46 AM

It would be much more fitting for him to close out the final All-Star game at Yankee Stadium, securing the Yankees home field advantage in the World Series this year.

TEPLimey
06-05-08, 09:57 AM
I thought the WIN METHOD is required to be in all caps.

Donnybaseball72
06-05-08, 10:10 AM
Michael Kay was the one on last nights broadcast to mention Moose making the allstar game and he is only basing it on his wins. There are at least 8 other more deserving choices. 4 were mentioned by stick plus Matsusaka, Marcum, Floyd & Litch.

effdamets
06-05-08, 10:17 AM
Michael Kay was the one on last nights broadcast to mention Moose making the allstar game and he is only basing it on his wins. There are at least 8 other more deserving choices. 4 were mentioned by stick plus Matsusaka, Marcum, Floyd & Litch.
Well - in fairness... the coaches that decide on pitchers don't look at things like BABIP and the such.
Wins have a heavy influence on the decision. Of course, I'm not saying that is right...

Yankee Tripper
06-05-08, 10:18 AM
While there are more deserving pitchers for sure, the fact that this is the final year of Yankee Stadium means that if Moose is leading (or tied for) the lead in wins, there is a decent chance he starts the all-star game for publicity reasons alone.

shadyridr
06-05-08, 10:45 AM
Has there been a more dominant middle relief pitcher in the AL this year? His transition to starter over the month of June takes him out of the running though I would think...

...unless he dominates in June.

He had a 2.28 ERA & 1.2 WHIP as a reliever. You think those are AS worthy numbers?

gold23
06-05-08, 11:12 AM
Distinctly recall the 1993 AS Game. Mussina and Ripken were the only Oriole players on the club. Gaston has Moose warm up but never got him into the AS game in his own park at Camden Yards. Just remember Moose staring in at Gaston.

NYYDragoon
06-05-08, 11:15 AM
It's true that Moose has surpassed expectations on our pitching staff, but I think it's a stretch to say that he should start the ASG.

primetime714
06-05-08, 11:19 AM
That would be a classy move by Francona to start Moose. However homefield advantage is on the line and with the Red Sox home-field record you know he is going for the win and starting Mussina doesn't make a whole lot of sense regardless of how well he pitches until then.

Maybe if he plans to pitch Moose an inning he lets him do it in the first to give the home team something else to root for. However I can't see Moose pitching more than that.

My guess is Halladay will get the nod. Of all the guys deserving he makes the most sense. Cliff Lee had it pretty much locked up until his recent struggles.

So long as Francona doesn't start Dice-K or even Beckett I'll be ok with the decision.

Mr. Mxylsplk
06-05-08, 11:21 AM
I don't know if he'll start the All-Star game but considering how most wrote Mussina off completely before the start of this season I think it's pretty awesome for him that he's pitching well enough to where he might be considered.
I agree, I wouldn't have Moose on the all-star roster today, yankee stadium or not. And my opinion aside, I'm not sure he'd be chosen as of today, and it really wouldn't be right to have him start. But he's clearly in contention to be selected, which is pretty remarkable considering how things looked last season.

DanB
06-05-08, 11:41 AM
That would be a classy move by Francona to start Moose. However homefield advantage is on the line and with the Red Sox home-field record you know he is going for the win and starting Mussina doesn't make a whole lot of sense regardless of how well he pitches until then.

Maybe if he plans to pitch Moose an inning he lets him do it in the first to give the home team something else to root for. However I can't see Moose pitching more than that.

My guess is Halladay will get the nod. Of all the guys deserving he makes the most sense. Cliff Lee had it pretty much locked up until his recent struggles.

So long as Francona doesn't start Dice-K or even Beckett I'll be ok with the decision.

I'm quite sure that Francona would be happy to use Moose for about 18 innings if necessary - then Mo for 27 more innings.

jeterdaman
06-05-08, 12:02 PM
Francona will look for every opportunity to start Dice-K

8-0, 64IP, 2.53 ERA, 55 SO, 1.30 WHIP

Mantle'sMutt
06-05-08, 12:14 PM
If Francona names Moose, I also think he should get the starting nod (in the Stadium). But that would be just TOO Yankee and why Francona would not allow it to happen.

If Moose keeps this up, though, he might be in the running for Comeback Player of the Year (didn't Hamilton use up his eligibilty last year?). ;)

smckdwn989
06-05-08, 12:17 PM
Francona will look for every opportunity to start Dice-K

8-0, 64IP, 2.53 ERA, 55 SO, 1.30 WHIP

how many walks does he have? he must walk 5 a game... eventually those are gonna come back and bite him

NYYRules#1
06-05-08, 12:26 PM
I think Moose should make the squad, but not start. Have him throw an inning or two in the middle of the ball game. Mo should definitely close it out though - imagine how loud the Stadium will get when "Enter Sandman" starts playing at the ASG.

NYYDragoon
06-05-08, 12:32 PM
Mo should definitely close it out though - imagine how loud the Stadium will get when "Enter Sandman" starts playing at the ASG.I KNOW. The mere thought of it brings me chills already.

Donnybaseball72
06-05-08, 12:51 PM
If Moose keeps this up, though, he might be in the running for Comeback Player of the Year (didn't Hamilton use up his eligibilty last year?). ;)

Cliff Lee will win in a landslide.

Mr. Mxylsplk
06-05-08, 01:02 PM
Cliff Lee will win in a landslide.
Maybe, but the way his last few starts have gone, he won't even win comeback player for the first half.

NZ NYY Fan
06-06-08, 12:23 AM
I thought to have comeback player of the year - you had to be appalling in your last year. Mussina won 11 last year. Thats not great, but not bad.

Francona has a dilemma, no wanting to waste innings of his pitchers but wanting give his players their chance in a marguee game.

I just don't want paps to close.

shadyridr
06-06-08, 09:01 AM
I just don't want paps to close.

Francona has always been respectful to the Yankees and the tradition of the game. I am 95% sure he would use Mariano to close the game in Yankee Stadium regardless of the score.

primetime714
06-06-08, 09:07 AM
Francona has always been respectful to the Yankees and the tradition of the game. I am 95% sure he would use Mariano to close the game in Yankee Stadium regardless of the score.

Agreed. Francona seems to be a standup guy and given the situation I can't imagine him not using Mariano as the closer especially since all sentiments aside Mo clearly deserves it with the year he is having.