PDA

View Full Version : SI.com: Yankee officials feel their players are more susceptible to suspensions

27IsNext
05-30-08, 04:13 PM
Some Yankees people believe that their personnel are more susceptible to suspension because MLB officials see more of their games. They may have a point there.

Source. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/05/30/heyman.rockies/1.html)

yankeeman61
05-30-08, 04:56 PM
Somebody in the FO must be reading this forum

Yankees13
05-30-08, 09:40 PM
Interesting angle there, more media exposure. Definitely could be a factor, but I think the fact that the discipline czar was fired by the Yankees, and anti-Yankee sentiment is pervasive amongst MLB executives are bigger factors.

Yankees1962
05-30-08, 09:42 PM
Interesting angle there, more media exposure. Definitely could be a factor, but I think the fact that the discipline czar was fired by the Yankees, and anti-Yankee sentiment is pervasive amongst MLB executives are bigger factors.
Again, Watson was not fired, he quit after two years with George and recommended Cashman as his replacement.

Yankees13
05-30-08, 09:44 PM
Again, Watson was not fired, he quit after two years with George and recommended Cashman as his replacement.
Fine, so the guy who's in charge of suspensions left the Yankees because he didn't like the atmosphere and clashed with the owner. Does that really materially change anything?

Greenwave81
05-30-08, 09:46 PM
Ahhh...seems far-fetched to me.

Yankees1962
05-30-08, 09:48 PM
Fine, so the guy who's in charge of suspensions left the Yankees because he didn't like the atmosphere and clashed with the owner. Does that really materially change anything?
Yes, it does because you're assuming he has some ill-will towards the Yankees because he left the Yankees. Baseball is full of executives that have left the Yankees and don't have any bad feelings towards them.

YanksFan1992
05-30-08, 09:51 PM
Yes, it does because you're assuming he has some ill-will towards the Yankees because he left the Yankees. Baseball is full of executives that have left the Yankees and don't have any bad feelings towards them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Watson had ill-will towards the Yankees. Almost immediately after he was hired, George started to undermind him and he was essentially forced out. Even the most calm-headed person would have to harbor some ill-will when going through something like that.

Yankees13
05-31-08, 12:28 AM
Watson left under the circumstances of a strained relationship with the Yankees, regardless of whether he left on his own initiative or not. That is what I was saying. His actions as the head of discipline certainly makes me think he is less than objective towards the Yankees for some reason, and the obvious reason is that he is an ex-employee of the Yankees.

sweet_lou_14
05-31-08, 06:31 AM
Watson left under the circumstances of a strained relationship with the Yankees, regardless of whether he left on his own initiative or not. That is what I was saying. His actions as the head of discipline certainly makes me think he is less than objective towards the Yankees for some reason, and the obvious reason is that he is an ex-employee of the Yankees.

Ironically, Red Sox fans love to say he's biased against them because he's a former Yankee. Not that I have seen any evidence of such a bias, but I've seen the claim on multiple occasions.

Yankees1962
05-31-08, 07:30 AM
Ironically, Red Sox fans love to say he's biased against them because he's a former Yankee. Not that I have seen any evidence of such a bias, but I've seen the claim on multiple occasions.
So have I on more than a few baseball boards.

Yankees1962
05-31-08, 07:32 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Watson had ill-will towards the Yankees. Almost immediately after he was hired, George started to undermind him and he was essentially forced out. Even the most calm-headed person would have to harbor some ill-will when going through something like that.
I know I'm not going to change anybody else's mind on this especially certain Yankee fans, but I just don't agree with this thought process. If true then the Yankees would've made an issue of it because he's a ML Official and something would've come to light about it. Not everyone behaves such as Tim McCarver or Steve Phillips especially when those individuals were fired outright. Watson left the Yankees when he couldn't work with Steinbrenner any longer and being a former Yankee, he knew what he was getting into so I doubt he continues to hold a grudge, eleven years later.

BillBuckner
05-31-08, 01:29 PM
Somebody in the FO must be reading this forum
Or has a deep commitment to something called common sense.

mgpenguin
05-31-08, 03:56 PM
The simple fact is that fans of every team think that there's some sort of bias against them. Small market teams think there's a bias towards large markets; large markets think the league is gunning for them because they're so big. To be honest, I think that most of the time this "bias" is all in the heads of the people complaining about it.

Yankees13
05-31-08, 06:34 PM
Since the beginning of the 07 season 3 Yankees have been suspended for throwing in the general area of Red Sox players. No Red Sox pitchers have been suspended, and they have hit more batters. I could give a hundred other examples but I think that should suffice.

MassNYYfan
05-31-08, 10:40 PM

Just as ironically, alot of Red Sox fans have their heads up their asses and still can't see s...