PDA

View Full Version : Struggles against LHP

Mark19
05-26-08, 08:10 PM
Today's deflating loss in Baltimore illustrated a lingering weakness this team has failed to address.

The biggest single problem faced by the Yankees lineup in 2008 has been their inability to consistently produce against left-handed pitching.

Their current OPS against lefties is .672

Melky, Ensberg and Molina currently sport OPS vs. LHP of .589, .431 and .389

Versus LHP, our right-handed 'power' A-Rod and Duncan have both slugged well below .400 in their limited time.

With the exception of bizarre break-outs against Erik Bedard, the Yankees have struggled mightily to produce runs against fairly average pitchers like Jarrod Washburn, Nate Robertson, Kenny Rogers, Scott Olsen, Brian Burres and Aaron Laffey.

It is imperative that our front office recognize this problem and act quickly to remedy it. It is folly to contnue to carry redundantly ineffective players like Duncan and Ensberg. There is little at AAA that could resemble reinforcements but several teams are close to being out of the race and some useful additions could become available soon. The Mets made a concerted effort to stack their lefty starters against us, other teams will start to realize that they can virtually ensure a win by slotting even the most medicore southpaw against us.

SINCE77 2
05-26-08, 09:06 PM
Frankly, Ensberg/Melky/Molina are not really great vs either pitching hand, although Melky has the most potential. If I'm a member of the Yankee FO, I would take a nice look at Ryan Freel. Uber-utility guy with a solid RHB that takes down LHP and RHP alike, albeit with limited power. Shouldn't cost too much, but is a definite upgrade over some of the flotsam that the Yankees have been throwing out there vs LHP.

JDPNYY
05-26-08, 09:22 PM
Today's deflating loss in Baltimore illustrated a lingering weakness this team has failed to address.

Is there such a thing as a non-deflating loss?

Mark19
05-26-08, 09:42 PM
Is there such a thing as a non-deflating loss?

It sucks to lose momentum when you've got such an absurdly hot pitcher like Rasner on the mound. It would have been less deflating if they had lost 6-5 or such.

JDPNYY
05-26-08, 09:50 PM
It sucks to lose momentum when you've got such an absurdly hot pitcher like Rasner on the mound. It would have been less deflating if they had lost 6-5 or such.

Would it all be ok if they won the next 5?

CyYoung4Vazquez
05-26-08, 09:51 PM
I have an idea. How about telling Shelly to not swing against absurdly bad pitches.

Mark19
05-26-08, 10:09 PM
Would it all be ok if they won the next 5?

Any victory is great, they just desperately need to figure out how to beat the average lefty starter. It really is baffling how badly Ensberg and Duncan have fared against pitchers they should be beating up on.

suha
05-26-08, 10:12 PM
IF my memory is as accurate as I think it is, this has been a problem for the last 3 or 4 seasons, usually with bizarre exceptions (like Bedard this year). The one I REALLY can't figure out is A-rod...up until about 2 years ago, he owned lefties, and now he can't figure them out. Weird.

primetime714
05-26-08, 10:19 PM
Frankly, Ensberg/Melky/Molina are not really great vs either pitching hand, although Melky has the most potential. If I'm a member of the Yankee FO, I would take a nice look at Ryan Freel. Uber-utility guy with a solid RHB that takes down LHP and RHP alike, albeit with limited power. Shouldn't cost too much, but is a definite upgrade over some of the flotsam that the Yankees have been throwing out there vs LHP.

Freel in his career is actually better against righties and 2007 splits against lefties were abysmal.

Abe Frohman
05-26-08, 10:35 PM
Every team has a Kryptonite. Ours is LHP'ers who throw QS ...

ShaneTravis
05-26-08, 11:03 PM
Mentioned this before but Gardner would be the perfect call up right now. Spell outfielders (Melky) and provide great defense,speed and happens to hit lefties very well.

Or if you really want to start a sh*t storm around here trade for Milton Bradley.

Last year of contract,kills lefty pitching,makes too much money, team may fall out of it sooner rather than later, Texas needs pitching....

Shinebox
05-27-08, 08:04 AM
Mentioned this before but Gardner would be the perfect call up right now. Spell outfielders (Melky) and provide great defense,speed and happens to hit lefties very well..

Gardner has started in LF for Scranton twice in the last week.. I don't know if that means anything, but until then I believe he has always been strictly a CFer.

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-27-08, 08:59 AM
IF my memory is as accurate as I think it is, this has been a problem for the last 3 or 4 seasons, usually with bizarre exceptions (like Bedard this year). The one I REALLY can't figure out is A-rod...up until about 2 years ago, he owned lefties, and now he can't figure them out. Weird.

Given our lineup, I wonder if lefties just pitch him really carefully, and he tries to do too much? Walking him with our lefty-laden lineup isn't a bad move.

marshcat
05-27-08, 09:03 AM
How many lefties have we faced this year? It seems like 60%+

R.V.47
05-27-08, 10:38 AM
The one thing I worried about when we let Sheffield go was that our lineup was to lefty heavy and I think it has been a problem. The yanks havent been able to find another power hitting righty to compliment A-Rod in the lineup since then and Ensberg or Duncan is not the answer to that problem.

ShaneTravis
05-27-08, 10:42 AM
How many lefties have we faced this year? It seems like 60%+

counting tonight I think 17 lefty starters

primetime714
05-27-08, 11:40 AM
Gardner has started in LF for Scranton twice in the last week.. I don't know if that means anything, but until then I believe he has always been strictly a CFer.

That could mean something. I know Dave Miley, the AAA manager has been trying a lot of different things as his team has gone into a slump.

I wouldn't be surprised if they called up Gardner soon. Ensberg is just about done here and Duncan may be on the verge of getting sent down.

Yankee Tripper
05-27-08, 11:51 AM
The one thing I worried about when we let Sheffield go was that our lineup was to lefty heavy and I think it has been a problem. The yanks havent been able to find another power hitting righty to compliment A-Rod in the lineup since then and Ensberg or Duncan is not the answer to that problem.Posada hits over .300 right handed for his career. He will clearly help.

It would have been nice if Shelly or Morgan worked out but they have not. We have no real RF bat @ AAA, that I'm aware of who could help the bug club. I wouldn't mind trading for an RF bat off the bench but don't know who is available or what we should be willing to offer.

ARoDfan4life
05-27-08, 12:03 PM
ok I just found out a few things

1. Bill Hall in Milwaukee is getting his playing time cut, he is versatile, his value probably dropped, the explanation given to him was Milwaukee wants another LHB, Wilson Betemit could land us a Bill Hall.

Bill Hall vs LHP .409/.490/.705 and an OPS of 1.195

2. Aaron Boone in Washington could be obtainable by the trading deadline a Greg Kontos/Matt Carson could land him

Aaron Boone vs LHP .371/.450/.657 and an OPS of 1.107

that's what's out there so far...I'll try to find others

primetime714
05-27-08, 12:27 PM
ok I just found out a few things

1. Bill Hall in Milwaukee is getting his playing time cut, he is versatile, his value probably dropped, the explanation given to him was Milwaukee wants another LHB, Wilson Betemit could land us a Bill Hall.

Bill Hall vs LHP .409/.490/.705 and an OPS of 1.195

2. Aaron Boone in Washington could be obtainable by the trading deadline a Greg Kontos/Matt Carson could land him

Aaron Boone vs LHP .371/.450/.657 and an OPS of 1.107

that's what's out there so far...I'll try to find others

Bill Hall would be awesome especially if it only cost Wilson Betemit, which I doubt. Still I'd gladly be willing to sweeten the pot with a AAA reliever like Chris Britton who just is never going to get a real shot here, but would be great in the NL.

Aaron Boone, I wouldn't mind having him back if it didn't cost much, but his career splits vs. LHP are not terrific and it would be nice to have someone who could play the OF as Damon, Abreu, and Matsui (along with Giambi) are going to be the lefties sitting out when he plays.

Xavier Nady is another guy I like, but he'll probably cost too much.

ARoDfan4life
05-27-08, 12:48 PM
Bill Hall would be awesome especially if it only cost Wilson Betemit, which I doubt. Still I'd gladly be willing to sweeten the pot with a AAA reliever like Chris Britton who just is never going to get a real shot here, but would be great in the NL.

Aaron Boone, I wouldn't mind having him back if it didn't cost much, but his career splits vs. LHP are not terrific and it would be nice to have someone who could play the OF as Damon, Abreu, and Matsui (along with Giambi) are going to be the lefties sitting out when he plays.

Xavier Nady is another guy I like, but he'll probably cost too much.

This is why I believe we can get Hall for Betemit and a MRP

Washington - Manager Ned Yost and general manager Doug Melvin met before the Brewers' game today with third baseman Bill Hall to talk about losing playing time to Branyan.
With the right-handed hitting Hall batting only .158 against right-handed pitchers, Branyan was called up from Class AAA Nashville over the weekend to provide a left-handed alternative. Yost told Hall it would not be a strict platoon because that would give Branyan most of the playing time.
"He's very, very upset," said Yost. "If he wasn't, I don't know if I'd want him on the team. I told him to keep his head up, keep working."
That explanation did little to appease Hall. And it probably didn't help that Branyan went out in his second game with the Brewers and struck out four times in an 0 for 5 performance.
"Going on the last four years, nothing makes any sense," he said. "My understanding is we needed a left-handed bat in the lineup and I was the odd man out. Does that make any sense? We'll see what happens the next couple of days."

ShaneTravis
05-27-08, 01:15 PM
Well the Brewers need relief pitchers and Hall is a terrible third baseman. We could have him be a fourth outfielder. CF is his primary position but I seem to remember the guy makes a ton of errors. He signed a 4 year contract last year so maybe they want to keep him.

I would make that trade if Britton and Wilson could get it done. Which I think is still not enough.