PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Clement

27IsNext
05-24-08, 04:14 PM
So, I just noticed that in April, Jojima was extended through 2011. Meanwhile, Jeff Clement is down in AAA raking.

We at least have to look into this.

teknetic
05-24-08, 04:34 PM
I think they plan on converting him to 1B.

Prison Mike
05-24-08, 04:51 PM
We'd have to trade our #1 prospect to get their #1 prospect. Clement has more value than Jackson or Tabata.

bmxstreetrider86
05-24-08, 05:06 PM
i dont see it happening, but i dont think it would be a top prospect for top prospect swap

Yankees1962
05-24-08, 05:07 PM
Sexson is gone after this season and Clement will probably be their first baseman for years to come.

27IsNext
05-24-08, 05:16 PM
Makes sense. Do they just not like his defense at catcher?

Yankees1962
05-24-08, 05:19 PM
His strength was always his bat which we debated about when discussing his draft class a few years ago.

bmxstreetrider86
05-24-08, 05:28 PM

well he is an average defender there, no great but not terrible.

i think they really like the defense from johjima, plus the fact that he is a draw and the mariners owners (nintendo) are japanese

ARoDfan4life
05-24-08, 05:29 PM
my god when will it ever stop what's next Ichiro .... Clement is a talented hitter but in no way or shape falls on anything that we need.

keyword:Bats: Left

can we target need, example a RHB, a LH relief option

bmxstreetrider86
05-24-08, 05:31 PM
my god when will it ever stop what's next Ichiro .... Clement is a talented hitter but in no way or shape falls on anything that we need.

can we target need, example a RHB, a LH relief option

you should target talent, no matter what inning they throw or which side of the plate you bat

YanksFan1992
05-24-08, 06:15 PM
well he is an average defender there, no great but not terrible.

i think they really like the defense from johjima, plus the fact that he is a draw and the mariners owners (nintendo) are japanese

Johjima's actually been a hot topic lately. He's struggling mightily from the plate, and many pitchers have complained that he's terribe behind the plate as well. So to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't on the team by opening day in 2009.

philleotardo
05-24-08, 06:25 PM
Johjima's actually been a hot topic lately. He's struggling mightily from the plate, and many pitchers have complained that he's terribe behind the plate as well. So to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't on the team by opening day in 2009.Didn't he just barely sign an extension?

YanksFan1992
05-24-08, 06:41 PM
Didn't he just barely sign an extension?

Yup, about a month ago.

Still, if he can't hit and he can't call a game according to many of his teammates they can't continue to play him no matter how much he is being payed (in fact, Jamie Burke is now going to start 40 percent of the games, so Johjima will only get to play in 3 out of every 5 games).

primetime714
05-25-08, 03:09 PM
Posada just signed a 4 year deal with us. We don't have room at C for Clement either. Would we have Clement play 1B/DH/Backup C?

Yea, Posada may not be able to stay behind the plate for all 4 years but at the bare minimum he'll be there for this year and next. Then the year after he'd probably at least split time there.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-25-08, 03:12 PM
Posada just signed a 4 year deal with us. We don't have room at C for Clement either. Would we have Clement play 1B/DH/Backup C?

Yea, Posada may not be able to stay behind the plate for all 4 years but at the bare minimum he'll be there for this year and next. Then the year after he'd probably at least split time there.I don't think there is any Guarentee Posada will spend all of 09 as the 'everyday' catcher.

primetime714
05-25-08, 04:37 PM
I don't think there is any Guarentee Posada will spend all of 09 as the 'everyday' catcher.

Nothing is guaranteed. However other than being injured have we really seen a decline in Posada's defense? Also I don't feel his arm injury is something to worry about as an indicator of a possible decline. Po can still get it done behind the plate and his offensive prowess gives us a big advantage over other teams. We won't move him out from behind the plate until we have to and I'd be VERY surprised if that's before the 2010 season.

Clement is also not known for his defense and Posada would actually probably be a better defensive option for the next two years.

I think we have some time to worry about our future at the C position. Which is good because it will give us more time to evaluate Montero and Romine as possible replacements.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-25-08, 07:16 PM
Nothing is guaranteed. However other than being injured have we really seen a decline in Posada's defense? Also I don't feel his arm injury is something to worry about as an indicator of a possible decline. Po can still get it done behind the plate and his offensive prowess gives us a big advantage over other teams. We won't move him out from behind the plate until we have to and I'd be VERY surprised if that's before the 2010 season.

Clement is also not known for his defense and Posada would actually probably be a better defensive option for the next two years.

I think we have some time to worry about our future at the C position. Which is good because it will give us more time to evaluate Montero and Romine as possible replacements.Good point about Clement not being a great defensive catcher. I wasn't even really thinking about him though. Just watching Posada the past couple of years I would like him to become more of a 1B/DH/C.