PDA

View Full Version : I've been through worse seasons....

azzurribaggio
05-21-08, 04:42 PM
Being the #1 Mattingly fan I've experienced some real crappy seasons in the past. So this season is good compared to some of those. In those seasons we had no hope of winning because the team just really did suck, besides Mattingly. Remember Ed Whitson?

I really feel that this team will turn it around because we have too many great players on this team who will not settle for this losing atmosphere and light a fire under the team. Like A-rod said, no one is running away with this division.....yet

BRNXBMRS
05-21-08, 04:49 PM
same here, nothing better than Mel hall hitting clean up.

THEBOSS84
05-21-08, 04:52 PM
I honestly haven't had it bad. Yanks got good as soon as I realized what a great sport baseball is.

Yankee Tripper
05-21-08, 04:55 PM
Being the #1 Mattingly fan I've experienced some real crappy seasons in the past. So this season is good compared to some of those. In those seasons we had no hope of winning because the team just really did suck, besides Mattingly. Remember Ed Whitson?

I really feel that this team will turn it around because we have too many great players on this team who will not settle for this losing atmosphere and light a fire under the team. Like A-rod said, no one is running away with this division.....yetbut in those seasons our payroll generally wasn't 60% higher than the #2 team.

montrealer
05-21-08, 04:58 PM
Oiy ...tell me about it.........been a Yanks fan since 1968.....that`s the problem right now......................too many fans are spoiled rotten........Too much of a good thing is not always a good thing.

HelloNewman
05-21-08, 05:02 PM
Being the #1 Mattingly fan I've experienced some real crappy seasons in the past. So this season is good compared to some of those. In those seasons we had no hope of winning because the team just really did suck, besides Mattingly. Remember Ed Whitson?They won 97 games the first year Whitson was here and 90 the second. No thanks to him, of course, but that was a good team.

So far this team is playing better than the 1990 team, the 1966-67 team, and the 1925 team, that's about it. Hopefully they pick it up soon for all our sakes.

R.V.47
05-21-08, 05:06 PM
This team may end up being as bad as some of the past horrible yankee teams like 90 or 91 but I doubt they had as much talent on the roster as 2008 does.

Mark19
05-21-08, 05:08 PM
I've been through the 91-93 Yankees and honestly the current squad is much more difficult to watch. It is a lot easier to have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised than to expect big things only to see sustained terrible performances.

azzurribaggio
05-21-08, 05:20 PM
1990 lineup....finished in last place.... 67-95, finishing 21 games behind of Boston.....You're not a Yankee fan unless you lived through this.......the funny thing was 1987 & 1988 we almost won the division....one word....FREE-AGENCY...actually two words...

Look at all the great names here:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1990&t=NYA

Yankee Tripper
05-21-08, 05:31 PM

good times. I forgot about Pascuel and the old ephous pitch.

HelloNewman
05-21-08, 05:37 PM
1990 lineup....finished in last place.... 67-95, finishing 21 games behind of Boston.....You're not a Yankee fan unless you lived through this.......the funny thing was 1987 & 1988 we almost won the division....one word....FREE-AGENCY...actually two words...

The highlight of that season was the night Steinbrenner got suspended and when it was announced, the few fans who were in Yankee Stadium broke into an ovation that lasted several minutes.

Yankees Empire
05-21-08, 05:40 PM
Anybody remember this oldie but a goodie??

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199007010.shtml

Yes, this current Yankee bunch has been very painful to watch. Absolutely dreary.

They've got a looong way to go before they meet up with some of the chump Yankee teams of the past, though.

Still, paying a bajillion dollars for the current roster does tend to shoot the frustration level up several degrees.

CallOfTheCrow
05-21-08, 05:41 PM

My earliest Yankee memory was 1993 with Abbott's no-hitter. I was 9 years old. But according to your criteria, I am not a real Yankees fan since I do not remember the 1990 season. Got'cha.

THEBOSS84
05-21-08, 05:44 PM
My earliest Yankee memory was 1993 with Abbott's no-hitter. I was 9 years old. But according to your criteria, I am not a real Yankees fan since I do not remember the 1990 season. Got'cha.

You are exactly 4 days older than me. I don't remember anything about 1993 though. I can't even blame my high school daze on that.

CallOfTheCrow
05-21-08, 05:47 PM
You are exactly 4 days older than me. I don't remember anything about 1993 though. I can't even blame my high school daze on that.

The no-hitter was the only thing I remember pretty clearly because my dad kept on talking about what was going on. He raised me a Yankees fan from the get go lol

JL25and3
05-21-08, 05:47 PM
This team may end up being as bad as some of the past horrible yankee teams like 90 or 91 but I doubt they had as much talent on the roster as 2008 does.

Check out the 1966 roster (a team I remember): Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Elston Howard, Clete Boyer, Roy White, Joe Pepitone, Tom Tresh, Mel Stottlemyre, Whitey Ford, Al Downing, Fritz Peterson...fair amount of talent there. They lost 89 games and finished in 10th place.

Yankee Tripper
05-21-08, 05:48 PM
My earliest Yankee memory was 1993 with Abbott's no-hitter. I was 9 years old. But according to your criteria, I am not a real Yankees fan since I do not remember the 1990 season. Got'cha.nah 9 year olds picking up the team in 93 is cool. 29 year olds picking up the team in 96, not quite as cool.

dave8274
05-21-08, 05:57 PM
I've been through the 91-93 Yankees and honestly the current squad is much more difficult to watch. It is a lot easier to have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised than to expect big things only to see sustained terrible performances.

:-werd-:

azzurribaggio
05-21-08, 05:57 PM
nah 9 year olds picking up the team in 93 is cool. 29 year olds picking up the team in 96, not quite as cool.

During the wining years when people always said I was a band-wagon fan I always had to remind them Mattingly is my favorite Yankee. Now if you followed the Yankees or were at least a baseball fan you would shut it right there and know what I was talking about. But lotta people would go "huh?"....idiots.

CallOfTheCrow
05-21-08, 05:59 PM
Don Mattingly? Isn't that the guy who sells hot dogs outside the stadium?

azzurribaggio
05-21-08, 06:09 PM

You got it, I'm officially making that the watermark to be a Yankee fan....just like Chicago bulls fans who don't remember Reggie Theus nor Granville Waiters....

CallOfTheCrow
05-21-08, 06:14 PM
lol now I don't know if you're joking or not.

wardsp
05-21-08, 06:20 PM
the discussion about who is a "real" fan is pretty distasteful. Get over it. We are all fans.

azzurribaggio
05-21-08, 06:22 PM
the discussion about who is a "real" fan is pretty distasteful. Get over it. We are all fans.

Overhead fans....:soapbox:

junkman73
05-21-08, 06:25 PM

Yes, this current Yankee bunch has been very painful to watch. Absolutely dreary.

They've got a looong way to go before they meet up with some of the chump Yankee teams of the past, though.

Still, paying a bajillion dollars for the current roster does tend to shoot the frustration level up several degrees.

Who could forget "THE ACE" Andy Hawkins. I think George gave him 3 yrs/5.8mil when he had a career 54-58 record. And I think Jim "The King" Leyritz made the big error that day.

False1
05-21-08, 06:26 PM

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1990&t=NYA A pitching corps for the ages to be sure.

AJW
05-21-08, 06:27 PM

I really feel that this team will turn it around because we have too many great players on this team who will not settle for this losing atmosphere and light a fire under the team. Like A-rod said, no one is running away with this division.....yet

You said it. People that jumped on board in 1996 are spoiled and don't know how good they have had it.

apalradio
05-21-08, 06:55 PM
My earliest baseball memory was Maris' 61st homer when I was 7 years old. Of course, I didn't understand what all the fuss was about, but it got me interested. By 1965, I was fully vested as a Yankee fan and now really mature enough to be pumped for the upcoming season. To my dismay, it took ten more years of dull, dreary teams before that paid off into a championship caliber club. Then came the terrible teams of the '80s, and it was not until the mid 90's when it turned around again. Perhaps I have seen worse teams than this during all those years, but I can't honestly say that it makes me feel any better about this bunch of underachievers.

fredgmuggs
05-21-08, 06:58 PM
I've certainly seen much worse seasons as a Yankee fan in my lifetime but I never shared one on a message board. This should be an eye opener if things keep going south.

yankeeman61
05-21-08, 07:00 PM
Idk if "worse" is the proper term when comparing this team to those horrible teams already mentioned. "Most Disappointing" or "Most Frustrating" ? Absolutely. Of course there is a long way to go so it's hard to call it a "season"......yet.

SoCal Pinstriper
05-21-08, 07:02 PM
Overhead fans....:soapbox:
"True" or "Real" Yankee Fans:
Whether you watch one game a year and only keep up with the team on the evening news, or you watch every game and subscribe to all the daily papers - you're a Yankee fan. If you just started watching the Yankees in 1998 or have been following them for half a century - you're a Yankee fan.

Do not question anyone's fandom or whether they are really a Yankee fan. We all choose to be fans in different ways. There is no such thing as a "true" or "real" fan. Any discussion of what kind of fan someone is can only lead to insulting or offending other users, therefore posts/threads that question someone's fandom are not allowed. Link (http://www.nyyfans.com/communityStandards.php#5) http://www.nyyfans.com/communityStandards.php (http://www.nyyfans.com/communityStandards.php#5)

Yankee Tripper
05-21-08, 07:14 PM
Oh, sorry if got the ball rolling on this topic, my bad.

I'm happy for any yankee fans regradless of when they joined the bandwagon, no matter if they were indoctrinated from birth or picked up the team after a WS victory, as long as they stick with the team when the eventual lean years come, they are alright by me.

azzurribaggio
05-21-08, 08:12 PM
The true point of the post was...don't worry it's early and we'll bring home WS #27

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
05-22-08, 07:42 AM
1990 lineup....finished in last place.... 67-95, finishing 21 games behind of Boston

So by virtue of my birthdate being 1987, I'm not a Yankees fan. Nice logic.

silverdsl
05-22-08, 08:05 AM
Just because there were bad seasons in the past where the Yankees played worse or lost more doesn't mean that people shouldn't be upset about this season. We're not in the 1990's we're in 2008. As someone said up-thread the expectations for this team given the talent level of the players, the payroll and that they've been in the post-season for something like 13 straight seasons is much higher than it was in the past.

BRNXBMRS
05-22-08, 08:40 AM
The highlight of that season was the night Steinbrenner got suspended and when it was announced, the few fans who were in Yankee Stadium broke into an ovation that lasted several minutes.

I remember we had the game on the radio that night, me & my friends were jumping up & down. SOmone who was at the game had a sign that said, "Christmas in July" & and another had one that said "Yogi come home"

Sidenote the 93 yanks was where it all turned the corner and couldnt catch the Jays. They were a fun team to watch.

effdamets
05-22-08, 08:43 AM
Oiy ...tell me about it.........been a Yanks fan since 1968.....that`s the problem right now......................too many fans are spoiled rotten........Too much of a good thing is not always a good thing.
QFT..

aeromac76
05-22-08, 01:15 PM
Some key things are different this year than from those awful awful years..

1) The core of the team is actually very good. They have in place Jeter, Posada, Arod and Cano. These are 4 extremely good baseball players who are under contract, and despote Po's injury, are likely to be effective players, if not better, for at least a few seasons.
Add guys like Cabrera and Matsui in there, and again, you have some nice players with which to start the linuep.

2) Free agency. The crop coming up will be flush with talent and we'll have a great deal of money coming off the books from people who are not really pulling their weight. Add a Texeira for instance, and you add another prime time player.

3) Pitching. Phil Hughes has been hurt, Joba is still in the pen, Kennedy has been ineffective. But the fact is, these are the pitfalls of young pitchers. But they ARE talented. And we have a ton in the minors who are super talented, both as starters and relievers. We may have gotten a late starts on the young power arms race, but we are in it, and long term, we should win it. The amount of plus plus arms we have in the system is staggering and is as high in talent quotient as I can recall. We even have a few nice position prospects ready to help in the not to distance future.

The bottom line is that we have been bit by injuries a lot. We have some people on the team who are not really great components.
But the team has realized this and the strategy going forward is a good one.

If we don't recover this year, then so be it. It is not like we have a decade of drakness ahead. We shed numerous and onerous contracts, and can replace them with free agents who cost nothing but money and are in their primes, and kids who are young, athletic and talented.

Pinstripedbass
05-22-08, 05:14 PM

I was 8 years old when I became a Yankees fan. This is the first team I remember...

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1971&t=NYA

Thank goodness for Bobby Murcer and Roy White in 1971. Not much else going on back then.

YASS
05-22-08, 05:19 PM
I was 8 years old when I became a Yankees fan. This is the first team I remember...

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1971&t=NYA

Thank goodness for Bobby Murcer and Roy White in 1971. Not much else going on back then.
I can't even look at the name "Danny Cater" without getting angry.

HelloNewman
05-22-08, 05:30 PM
I can't even look at the name "Danny Cater" without getting angry.Amazing that the Yankees and Sox used to trade with each other. Different world.

YASS
05-22-08, 05:33 PM
Amazing that the Yankees and Sox used to trade with each other. Different world.
The Cater-Lyle deal was a good reason to stop. :)

Pinstripedbass
05-22-08, 08:24 PM
I can't even look at the name "Danny Cater" without getting angry.

Strange. I can't look at the name "Danny Cater" without chuckling.

Danny Cater for Sparky Lyle. That one worked out okay.:lol:

Retire21
05-22-08, 11:48 PM

Dude, the 1993 Yankees were good: 88-74 and were tied with the Blue Jays for 1st as late as September before slumping to 7 back. That was the year we got O'Neill, Boggs, and Key. That was the beginning of the renaissance- you can't include the 1993 team in a discussion of "suffering." That was a fun team- the Yankees first pennant race since 1988. It was Mattingly's last "solid" season as well- he had a bit of a renaissance himself that year. Two words: Mike Stanley

YASS
05-23-08, 07:09 AM
Strange. I can't look at the name "Danny Cater" without chuckling.

Danny Cater for Sparky Lyle. That one worked out okay.:lol:
You'd think that after all this time, I'd be able to look back at the ridiculous one-sidedness of that deal and laugh about it.

But, no. I can't. It still gets to me.

Guiseppe Franco
05-23-08, 08:45 AM
I've got two words for all the drama queens here: Horace Clarke.

Nothing personal against Horace, in fact, I was a big fan of that goofy stance of his, but talk about worse seasons.

YankeePride1967
05-23-08, 08:47 AM
anyone else remember the day when you looked forward to the day Melido Perez started because that was the best chance to get more than 5 innings form the starter and to win a game?

apalradio
05-23-08, 11:17 AM
I've got two words for all the drama queens here: Horace Clarke.

Nothing personal against Horace, in fact, I was a big fan of that goofy stance of his, but talk about worse seasons.While we're at it, how about our number one catcher Jake Gibbs. He makes Benji Molina look like a slugger.

dave8274
05-23-08, 05:15 PM
You'd think that after all this time, I'd be able to look back at the ridiculous one-sidedness of that deal and laugh about it.

But, no. I can't. It still gets to me.

I feel the exact same way about the Jay Buhner - Ken Phelps deal.

Yankee Tripper
05-23-08, 05:26 PM
I feel the exact same way about the Jay Buhner - Ken Phelps deal.This one always makes be laugh because of that Sienfeld piece about that trade.

philleotardo
05-24-08, 01:47 AM
I feel the exact same way about the Jay Buhner - Ken Phelps deal.I actually attended a game where Buhner hit a GS for the Yanks.
One of the worst parts about the awful 1990 team (for me), was the media types suggesting the Yanks should tank the final month to get the #1 overall pick which, ultimately, they did. I never understood the logic- when has a #1 overall pick resurrected a baseball team? Basketball? Sure. Not in baseball.

Retire21
05-24-08, 05:45 PM
I actually attended a game where Buhner hit a GS for the Yanks.
One of the worst parts about the awful 1990 team (for me), was the media types suggesting the Yanks should tank the final month to get the #1 overall pick which, ultimately, they did. I never understood the logic- when has a #1 overall pick resurrected a baseball team? Basketball? Sure. Not in baseball.

Yeah, whatever happend to that #1 pick? :)

NelsonMuntz
05-24-08, 06:00 PM
I still have nightmares about our rotation from the mid to late 80's - early 90's teams. Hawkins, LaPoint, Whitson, Cadaret, ect. Those were tough times.

dave8274
05-25-08, 10:39 AM
Yeah, whatever happend to that #1 pick? :)

If he had turned out be be the pitcher he was projected to be, there could have been another WS win or 2 in the 90's. That was a major bummer when he busted up his shoulder.

XitoCraN
05-25-08, 12:02 PM
Don't know if it's been posted yet. But nothing sums up the pain of 1990 like this game.

Did MLB take the no hitter away from Hawkins?

NelsonMuntz
05-25-08, 12:32 PM
Don't know if it's been posted yet. But nothing sums up the pain of 1990 like this game.

Did MLB take the no hitter away from Hawkins?
They did (since Hawkins technically only pitched 8 innings), and I agree that game pretty much sums up what it was like being a Yankees fan in the late 80's/early 90's.