PDA

View Full Version : This year's "HA" moment is coming soon

primetime714
05-21-08, 10:23 AM
We've pretty much hit rock bottom, but with a team that has a good amount of talent you have to figure that the turning point is just around the corner. We just need something to really spark this team, the return of ARod, the plunking of jeter, and the near brawls yesterday may be enough to get things going.

Offense: ARod should provide a really huge boost. This offense just doesn't go without him in that 4 slot. Cano and Giambi also seem to be coming out of their slumps. Damon, Jeter, Abreu, Matsui, and Melky have all been at least solid. Not having Posada sucks, but our 1-8 puts us in great position to score a lot of runs.

Pitching: Wang and Moose both had bad outings but you have to figure both of them will bounce back as they've pitched well pretty much all year. Pettitte you have to figure is better than this. When things get tight Pettitte is a gamer and will really step it up. Rasner has provided stability to the 4 spot. Kennedy while still struggling I think has shown some signs of improvement. If he can't turn it around though. Horne is returning from injury soon, McCutchen is up in AAA after dominating AA, and if need be we'll even have Karstens (altho let's hope that doesn't happen). The bullpen has been terrific. Edwar continues to quietly dominate. Joba and Mo are as good and probably better than any 1-2 combo any other team has at the back of their bullpen. Farnsworth, Hawk, and the minor leaguers have all been at least solid. If need be we also have more help on the farm with Patterson and Robertson pitching well.

2nd half domination: Posada will be back giving us the top ranked offense from last year (+ Giambi instead of Dougie M). Hughes will be back and healthy. Joba will likely be in the rotation. Our bullpen won't suffer much without Joba as we'll have a ton of prospects ready to contribute there. Oh and to get the Wild Card all we need to do is beat out the likes of Tampa Bay and Detroit. I like TB, but they won't ride this high all year they'll take the big step next year or the year after. Detroit could be difficult if their pitching pulls it together.

Bub
05-21-08, 11:37 AM
Yup. They'll win 5 out of 6, then get "winning" back into their thinking on a daily basis. The talent is there.

DontHateOnNumber2
05-21-08, 12:05 PM
Yup. They'll win 5 out of 6, then get "winning" back into their thinking on a daily basis. The talent is there.

Without a doubt. The past few years we've had the "ready to jump off a cliff" group of people trying to get consoled by those who recognize that it'll just take one hot streak to get us back on track. There's no doubt in my mind that it'll be very soon. A healthy Alex Rodriguez would give any team hope.

O'Neill's 3b + E
05-21-08, 12:26 PM
Yes, assuming everything works out as well as possible this team should crush the rest of the American League. The problem is, that’s highly unlikely.

Getting A-Rod back is clearly a huge boast. However it is doubtful that he’ll match his productivity from last year. He was historically good last year. I’d expect A-Rod to simply only be one of, if not the best position player in the American League this year, not the monster who destroyed anything and everything last year.

Likewise, Posada will be a huge upgrade. However, there’s like 0% chance he’s anywhere as good as he was last season. Will he be one of the best catchers in the game? Yes. Will he have the best season by a catcher after the age of 35 again? Doubtful.

Posada’s comeback assumes that he is able to throw right? Do we know for sure he can.

Wang is a good pitcher, he’ll likely bounce back. The Moose is cooked however. He’s striking out 4.5 batters per nine and getting by on not allowing any walks. He’s always around the plate and doesn’t miss bats. People are going to start to tee off on him sometime. Pettitte is one year older and had better numbers than he should have last season. I don’t doubt that he’s still a league average starter but expecting much more is unwise. Rasner has not sucked in his 2 games; let’s wait until he’s pitched around 10 before we start claiming that he’s done anything to the four spot. That said, we don’t have any real reason to believe he’s nothing better than a replacement level spot starter.

For the rotation to be good, we need Hughes to come back strong and Kennedy to pitch effectively. Right now, the odds are against that happening in 2008 as one is injured and the other has been pretty bad.

Are the 2008 New York Yankees done? No, but they’re hurting real bad and will need a remarkable turn around by Kennedy, Cano, Hughes and others along with few to zero injuries if they want to win 95 games this year. They could certainly sneak into the wild card with less, but you seem to think they’re going to go on a run like last season. Only last season the team had a positive run differential in May and its suffering was more of a result of an unfortified bull pen and bad luck. This years edition has sucked because it hasn’t done much well.

YankeesAce4Life
05-21-08, 12:39 PM
Ha! :(

Yankee Tripper
05-21-08, 02:45 PM
Yes, assuming everything works out as well as possible this team should crush the rest of the American League. The problem is, thatís highly unlikely.

Getting A-Rod back is clearly a huge boast. However it is doubtful that heíll match his productivity from last year. He was historically good last year. Iíd expect A-Rod to simply only be one of, if not the best position player in the American League this year, not the monster who destroyed anything and everything last year.

Likewise, Posada will be a huge upgrade. However, thereís like 0% chance heís anywhere as good as he was last season. Will he be one of the best catchers in the game? Yes. Will he have the best season by a catcher after the age of 35 again? Doubtful.

Posadaís comeback assumes that he is able to throw right? Do we know for sure he can.

Wang is a good pitcher, heíll likely bounce back. The Moose is cooked however. Heís striking out 4.5 batters per nine and getting by on not allowing any walks. Heís always around the plate and doesnít miss bats. People are going to start to tee off on him sometime. Pettitte is one year older and had better numbers than he should have last season. I donít doubt that heís still a league average starter but expecting much more is unwise. Rasner has not sucked in his 2 games; letís wait until heís pitched around 10 before we start claiming that heís done anything to the four spot. That said, we donít have any real reason to believe heís nothing better than a replacement level spot starter.

For the rotation to be good, we need Hughes to come back strong and Kennedy to pitch effectively. Right now, the odds are against that happening in 2008 as one is injured and the other has been pretty bad.

Are the 2008 New York Yankees done? No, but theyíre hurting real bad and will need a remarkable turn around by Kennedy, Cano, Hughes and others along with few to zero injuries if they want to win 95 games this year. They could certainly sneak into the wild card with less, but you seem to think theyíre going to go on a run like last season. Only last season the team had a positive run differential in May and its suffering was more of a result of an unfortified bull pen and bad luck. This years edition has sucked because it hasnít done much well.
good post

R.V.47
05-21-08, 02:54 PM

To have streaks like 5 of 6 or 8 of 10 you need consistent starting pitching, something the yankees lack. You also might need to score a few runs another thing they have trouble with.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-21-08, 02:58 PM
HA! We could reach much lower.

HelloNewman
05-21-08, 03:06 PM
Yes, assuming everything works out as well as possible this team should crush the rest of the American League. The problem is, thatís highly unlikely.I never realized until now that your screen name is a "Seinfeld" reference. Nicely played.

BRNXBMRS
05-21-08, 03:46 PM
We needed to have the HA moment happen last week.

PinstripePride
05-21-08, 03:47 PM
"HA moment" :lol:

bullitt245
05-21-08, 06:19 PM
I'm sure the ha moment will come, but it's more than just this group of players realizing there is a problem and turning it around. This season was dependent on our young pitchers. Anybody who doesn't realize that is kidding themselves. We were either going to be pleasantly surprised with multiple consistent outings from them or left with the bumps and bruises young players come along with. So far, as far as Kennedy or Hughes go, it's been the latter.

Other than Joba moving into the rotation, I see a possible trade for a SP. If this nucleus of older players is going to remain intact for the rest of the season and Cashman really wants to make it work before they are all gone, it needs to happen.

However, I don't know if this is the case. I, for one, would rather take these bumps and bruises if we have to and start developing more of the farm system and giving them more of a chance. Let Gardner play, give Shelley more time at 1B, and promote McCutchen.

This will obviously upset a lot of the fans who believe we have the talent right NOW to win a World Series, but maybe we should accept the fact that this team might only get their HA moment if some new players are introduced.

YanksFan1992
05-21-08, 08:22 PM
Maybe the this year's moment is just A-Rod coming back in general. :dunno:

O'Neill's 3b + E
05-21-08, 09:30 PM
I never realized until now that your screen name is a "Seinfeld" reference. Nicely played.

You're the first person to get it.

On to the thread. Rasner was great tonight. I still don't believe in him but maybe we can ride the hot hand for a while.

Martini6196
05-22-08, 09:16 AM
I never realized until now that your screen name is a "Seinfeld" reference. Nicely played.

I noticed it because I have an overweight bulldog who's name is Newman.

BonusCantos
05-22-08, 09:40 AM
You're the first person to get it.

On to the thread. Rasner was great tonight. I still don't believe in him but maybe we can ride the hot hand for a while.I noticed it too. Paul O'Neill had to hit that one last home run for Kramer to get the card for Steinbrenner back, but the inside the park HR was ruled a triple and an error. Very creative SN.

HelloNewman
05-22-08, 02:59 PM
Paul O'Neill had to hit that one last home run for Kramer to get the card for Steinbrenner back, but the inside the park HR was ruled a triple and an error."Tonight, Paul O'Neill needs to catch a fly ball in his hat."

:lol::lol::lol:

YanksFan1992
05-22-08, 08:59 PM
Maybe Girardi getting tossed could get this team on its way. :gulp:

ZYanksRule
05-22-08, 09:00 PM
Was that it?

-tz
05-22-08, 09:04 PM
I think that was IT! :D

BonusCantos
05-22-08, 09:15 PM
"Tonight, Paul O'Neill needs to catch a fly ball in his hat."

:lol::lol::lol:The only problem is, Morgan didn't get a chance to sign it. Big Stein's always been suspicious of that guy... :)

JeterForPresident
05-22-08, 09:16 PM
The only problem is, Morgan didn't get a chance to sign it. Big Stein's always been suspicious of that guy... :)

Maybe it is because he looks just like "Sugar" Ray Leonard?

Yankees Empire
05-22-08, 09:16 PM
Perhaps it was a foul tip strikeout that wasn't and then seeing Joe Girardi's version of "Billy Martin's Greatest Hits?"

Time will tell.

CT-Yankee
05-22-08, 10:07 PM
Did we have a HA moment? And I think it was important that Cano had the winning hit...HA HA ??

Prospect62
05-23-08, 07:44 AM
That's your HA! moment. Girardi throwing his hat down and kicking it, then going back for more. This is the kind of passion and energy we were all looking for from Joe Torre last year and now we've got it.

HA! moment results in a big win. Let's go from here!

BRNXBMRS
05-23-08, 07:48 AM
This may have been the "ha" moment of 08.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/05232008/sports/yankees/yanks_os/photo04.jpg

RI Dawg
05-23-08, 08:13 AM
I thought of this thread while watching the 9th inning actions take place -- could possibly be the 08' "ha moment" which gets this team going -- lets see...

We've won two games in a row, in baseball thats called a winning streak haha

BringBackBernie!
05-24-08, 01:02 PM
Haha that photo of Joe isn't exactly classy. Then again, neither was yelling "Mine/Ha!" at an infielder. Whatever gets us back in the race and out of the cellar I say.