PDA

View Full Version : Will we make the playoffs? (5/15)

YanksFan1992
05-15-08, 06:04 PM
It's May 15th and the Yankees are in last place.

The question is who here thinks we'll be in and who thinks we won't?

No question I believe we will be in this year's playoffs, and I'll make the poll public as well so those of you who predict correctly (whether it be positive or negative) can use it as "prediction" bragging rights in the future.

1936-1939JoeNLou
05-15-08, 06:14 PM
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/635/moracn3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/635/moracn3.f456d657a5.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=364&i=moracn3.jpg)

R.V.47
05-15-08, 06:19 PM
Pitching and defense wins championships, but you still have to score some runs.

TheJobaRules
05-15-08, 06:30 PM
No question---YES. The offense will pick up considerably once A-Rod and Posada come back. Chien-Ming Wang, Andy Pettite, and Mike Mussina provide a very solid 1-3 where Wang could win 20 and Andy and Moose could win 15 easy. They have Joba Chamberlain and Mariano Rivera, arguably the best 1-2 set-up/closer combo in the game. And let's not forget that they have a ton of homestands coming up in the summer. Combine all of that and this team is set up for a huge run that will get them back in the playoffs.

That being said, I would have been worried had a team like Boston gotten off to a monster start and put the Yankees back into a 2007-type situation, that would have been too much to hope for two years in a row. The cards the 2008 Yankees have been dealt are NOTHING like the stacked deck the 2007 Yankees had to overcome.

CallOfTheCrow
05-15-08, 06:31 PM
I'm too pissed off to make a rational decision, I'll save my vote for a later date.

frostdude1
05-15-08, 06:33 PM
As of right now I'm saying No. But I hope I'm wrong

Yankee Tripper
05-15-08, 06:36 PM
Sorry I don't have faith in a team that 13th in the AL in starters ERA. Show me where that's going to improve and I'll gladly change my vote.

YanksFan1992
05-15-08, 06:46 PM
Sorry I don't have faith in a team that 13th in the AL in starters ERA. Show me where that's going to improve and I'll gladly change my vote.

Well those numbers do include Hughes, Kennedy and Igawa.

Honestly, if Rasner keeps it up I assum at least one pitcher in our system will probably prove to be a good starter (possibly Joba). Let's just say even if Kennedy and Hughes can't step it up this season but Rasner keeps it up here's our rotation:

1. Wang
2. Pettitte
3. Mussina
4. Chamberlain
5. Rasner

Honestly, I would be quite content with that and that doesn't even include two pitchers we assumed would be quite competent at the beginning of the year.

I would be shocked if the offense doesn't step it up, so as long as the pitching can be okay I feel that we will definitely make a run.

If you are still worried about the staff, just look at the 96 Yankees.

We won the World Series and here were the five pitchers who started the most games for us that year:

1. Pettitte (3.87 ERA)
2. Key (4.68 ERA)
3. Rogers (4.68 ERA)
4. Gooden (5.01 ERA)
5. Mendoza (6.79 ERA)

Even if Joba stays in the bullpen and we never get a good 5th starter, we would have a very similar team to the 96 Yanks with an ace at the top, competent 2nd and 3rd starters, a great 1-2 bullpen punch and a pretty good offense. All that's really missing in my opinion is a little momentum.

hongchihkuo
05-15-08, 07:05 PM
dodgers at yankees, 2008 WS, game 1. be there.

R.V.47
05-15-08, 07:08 PM
dodgers at yankees, 2008 WS, game 1. be there.

I think 1978 World Series Game 1 on Yankees Classics during the World Series has a better chance of happening at this point.

cupcollector99
05-15-08, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure about "we", but the Yankees won't be gracing the house that Ruth built with fall baseball this year.

WashingtonYankee
05-15-08, 08:18 PM
Yes.
Damn straight we will!

Sorry about the loss today but ladies and gentlemen, it's only May.

Just Believe!

webassign
05-15-08, 08:26 PM
There's still plenty of time to right the ship. I think our season will hinge upon getting a key acquisition/trade at the trade deadline. I don't see us winning with what we have right now.

27IsNext
05-15-08, 10:09 PM

We won the World Series and here were the five pitchers who started the most games for us that year:

1. Pettitte (3.87 ERA)
2. Key (4.68 ERA)
3. Rogers (4.68 ERA)
4. Gooden (5.01 ERA)
5. Mendoza (6.79 ERA)

Even if Joba stays in the bullpen and we never get a good 5th starter, we would have a very similar team to the 96 Yanks with an ace at the top, competent 2nd and 3rd starters, a great 1-2 bullpen punch and a pretty good offense. All that's really missing in my opinion is a little momentum.

Two things:

First, the league wasn't as good then as it is now.

Second, we have to hope that Joba or someone else turns into this year's version of David Cone.

BillBuckner
05-16-08, 10:13 AM
This sounds awfully familiar.

montrealer
05-16-08, 11:19 AM
I predicted No in John`s pool and nothing so far that I`ve seen has made me believe otherwise.

Casey37
05-16-08, 11:54 AM
Absolutely. This team has a history of playing crappy baseball up until the AS game, then getting hot and making the playoffs.

They'll be in the thick of things when it counts, as usual. ;)

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-16-08, 11:57 AM
This sounds awfully familiar.

I am sure you can dig up a similar thread from last year.

Yankees Empire
05-16-08, 12:06 PM
Not this year. I said so before the season started so it's not just frustration over their recent play.

The run has to end sometime.

Bleacher_Creature
05-16-08, 12:10 PM
Only if Pavano comes back before the ASB!!!

MattUNC2003
05-16-08, 12:14 PM
Nope.

I really like the way the Rays are playing ball this year. If they keep it up, they could very well be the D-Backs/Rockies of last year (rode youth movement all the way to the LCS/WS). That being said, and again IF they keep it up, I could see them challenging the Sox for the division in Sept. That would leave the loser possibly getting the WC (depending on whether or not the Indians or Tigers ever figure it out), and leaving the Yanks out.

It's a long season, though.

Yankee Tripper
05-16-08, 12:27 PM
Well those numbers do include Hughes, Kennedy and Igawa.

Honestly, if Rasner keeps it up I assum at least one pitcher in our system will probably prove to be a good starter (possibly Joba). Let's just say even if Kennedy and Hughes can't step it up this season but Rasner keeps it up here's our rotation:

1. Wang
2. Pettitte
3. Mussina
4. Chamberlain
5. Rasner

Honestly, I would be quite content with that and that doesn't even include two pitchers we assumed would be quite competent at the beginning of the year.

I would be shocked if the offense doesn't step it up, so as long as the pitching can be okay I feel that we will definitely make a run.

1. Pettitte (3.87 ERA)
2. Key (4.68 ERA)
3. Rogers (4.68 ERA)
4. Gooden (5.01 ERA)
5. Mendoza (6.79 ERA)

In 1996 the Yanks had a better ERA relative to the league and the team scored about a run/game more.

Wang - excellent - no complaints at all
Pettitte - his 4.4 ERA & 1.45 are right in line with the last 2.5 years. I don't expect it to change and don't think it is good enough for a #2 starter
Moose - better than expected but he is a 5 IP (85 pitch count) pitcher now - he'd be a GREAT #5 starter this year, problem is he's been our #2/3 guy.
Joba - yeah I'm excited to see what he can do as a starter too but he's still a question mark.
Rasner - very happy with what he has done so far but again historical stats of what his pitching line starts to looks like after 60 pitches has me concerned about his ability to give us badly needed lenght from starters.

I think if the offense is scoring 6 runs a game we can get by with this staff but I have serious doubts about the offense being able to score 6 runs in a series right now, let alone nightly.

DontHateOnNumber2
05-16-08, 12:30 PM
Of course we will. And then when the season's over Denny Green is going to all sickhouse at a press conference because the Yankees will win the AL East in insane fashion.

"They are who we thought they were!!!!"

MassNYYfan
05-16-08, 12:35 PM
Easily.

ZYanksRule
05-16-08, 02:34 PM
Yes.

Once we get over our injuries (and hopefully don't have any more), we'll be fine.

Janttje
05-16-08, 02:35 PM
Yes..

BroadwayBomber55
05-16-08, 05:25 PM
If you don't believe, then quit the season. I rather let the season play out.

I vote Yes.

It's a long season: the regular season is a marathon to make the playoffs and not a sprint. Still, the Yankees need to execute often and gain momentum as the season progresses.

JDPNYY
05-16-08, 05:56 PM
Hell Yes. Dammit.

jeterismyhomeboy
05-16-08, 06:14 PM
You've got to believe and stay with the team. We thought it was over last year; we can't think it's over this year. Even at the ASB last year, the Yanks were 43-43.

Nothing is impossible.

Pinstripedbass
05-16-08, 08:07 PM
No.

I voted in last year's poll and I was wrong.

I hope I'm proven wrong again this year.

Prison Mike
05-16-08, 08:33 PM
Around this time last year I answered 'no' and they made the playoffs. Why change?