PDA

View Full Version : Hank on David Wells: "I've thought about it"

TheBamTino24
05-09-08, 06:15 AM
Given a rotation banking that Darrell Rasner & Kei Igawa have found themselves, David Wells' name has popped up as a stop gap.

"I've thought about it," Steinbrenner told The Post. "I saw him on TV, and I did think about it when I was watching."

"What sticks out in my mind, that team in the late '90s, the starting pitching," he said. "You had [David] Cone, El Duque [Orlando Hernandez], Wells . . . they were all big-game pitchers. They all came from elsewhere - not in the system.

"Everybody talks about the great players from the farm system that we had in the '90s, but it was the starting rotation. That was a huge part of the success. Huge."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05092008/sports/yankees/boomer_ang__110042.htm

Yankees13
05-09-08, 06:18 AM
I've thought about plenty of stupid things that I knew better than to do. Hopefully Hank makes that same distinction.

cupcollector99
05-09-08, 06:35 AM
There is no way Cashman will do this. There is no way that Girardi will want this guy aroud the younger players. There is no way that they will pay for another old, washed-up has-been, they have their share already.
Please David, just go open up a beer garden in San Diego.

YankeePride1967
05-09-08, 06:47 AM
Thank God he thought against it.

Yankee Steve
05-09-08, 06:53 AM
Hmm... Kei Igawa or David Wells???? I must admit it would be tempting. At least Wells would throw strikes.

nhyankeefan
05-09-08, 06:55 AM
Sign him to a incentive laden deal and see if he has anything left. My guess is he doesn't.

Rocketbooster
05-09-08, 07:12 AM
and I doubt Hal has thought about it. Geez Hank, can't you stay quiet for more than a few days at a time? Ugh David Wells? I never liked him when he was here the first time and now he's got a few more years on him ....plus he's not good anymore. Hank seems like he's trying to chase Brian out of here so that he doesn't have to let him go.........So far, I believe he's doing a pretty fair job of that.

ojo
05-09-08, 07:30 AM
hank's embarrassing. just a fool.

puckmaster87
05-09-08, 07:31 AM
This guy is more ridiculous than his dad. I'd almost rather the Yanks be owned by Cablevision at this point. Well....actually....not really.

BRNXBMRS
05-09-08, 07:33 AM
If Wells comes back what happens to Hughes & IPK? Bad idea.

CallOfTheCrow
05-09-08, 07:34 AM
Think about it all you want. Just don't do it.

Yankees>Sox
05-09-08, 07:46 AM
He's so in love with Santana....

jeterdaman
05-09-08, 07:59 AM
Sweet Fancy Moses

If this is what i need to endure over the next many years, i'm going to lose all of my hair and age 5 years every season.

yankeebot
05-09-08, 08:01 AM
I suspect he's done but sign him to a minor league deal. If he can pitch, cool. If he can't, nothing lost.

frostdude1
05-09-08, 08:15 AM
We don't lose anything if we sign him. Sign em up and give em a shot. If he fails, cut him, if he's good, we landed a veteran who can eat up some innings and knows how to pitch in New York.

Do It Cash !

4bronxbombers
05-09-08, 08:18 AM
Pssst Hank......this ain't the 90's anymore.

PeppermintPatty
05-09-08, 08:18 AM
Can Hank shut the F**k up? Wow!

destro
05-09-08, 08:21 AM
a minor league deal with incentives couldnt hurt

DJ27
05-09-08, 08:41 AM

Agreed... but does that mean IBK stays in the minors this year?

montrealer
05-09-08, 08:45 AM
Oiy Vey.........it`s come to this.......We`re that bad in pitching to the point we`re looking at has-beens.

cupcollector99
05-09-08, 08:46 AM
yes, it could, IMO. Stick with me, he could just go out and strike out a bunch of career AAAA hitters and make people think he still has something to offer. If he does well and Stein requests that he be brought up to the big club, he could become a distraction and hinder the development of the younger guys.

The plan for this season is to do what they can to develop three or more young pitchers and try to remain competitive with Wang, Andy and Moose holding down the fort. Wells does not fit into that.

He had heart, thanks for the memories but I'll pass.

nyyfanatic85
05-09-08, 08:48 AM
Maybe we could coax Todd Zeile to come out of retirement too.

knickfan23
05-09-08, 08:48 AM
Oiy Vey.........it`s come to this.......We`re that bad in pitching to the point we`re looking at has-beens..

For the record, I detest Wells (being in Miami for Game 5 in Pro Player stained his rep with me forever). But let me ask this...

If given the choice, would you rather have Wells starting over Igawa?

Surely the Yanks will not even consider this, but if they choose to go this route, I'll be forced to grin and bear it before killing it later when it doesnt work out.

CallOfTheCrow
05-09-08, 08:51 AM

For the record, I detest Wells (being in Miami for Game 5 in Pro Player stained his rep with me forever). But let me ask this...

Surely the Yanks will not even consider this, but if they choose to go this route, I'll be forced to grin and bear it before killing it later when it doesnt work out.

I think I'd rather start Igawa. Wells was getting hammered in the NL west over the past couple seasons & while Igawa is no gurantee for a quallity start, I'd rather see him go then Wells.

CallOfTheCrow
05-09-08, 08:53 AM
"New York has always been the favorite of all my stops," Wells said. "When I got traded, I was bitter. When they didn't re-sign me, I was bitter, but I know that wasn't the Yankees, everything was Joe Torre. I wasn't one of his boys. I don't think he liked the way I lived my life or that I spoke my mind."

montrealer
05-09-08, 08:58 AM

Hey..........when you decide to go with the Kids.........stick to the plan.In for a penny ...in for a pound........Wells will not bring a WS here. We need to go foward.....not backwards.If Hank wants to be taken seriously...........he`s got to think before he opens his Pie-Hole.

CallOfTheCrow
05-09-08, 08:59 AM
Hey..........when you decide to go with the Kids.........stick to the plan.In for a penny ...in for a pound........Wells will not bring a WS here. We need to go foward.....not backwards.If Hank wants to be taken seriously...........he`s got to think before he opens his Pie-Hole.

I'm not for this signing but I don't think signing Wells is a move they hope to put them over the top.

Torre Must Go
05-09-08, 09:00 AM
Wells was a big-game pitcher, though he was as big a reason as any for why we didn't win the World Series 5 years ago.

effdamets
05-09-08, 09:02 AM
I have to be very honest...

If Wells putting on a Yankee uniform meant that Igawa would be shipped back to Japan, I'll sign for that. Otherwise, David can stay wherever it is that he is right now.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-09-08, 09:02 AM
Wells had an ERA over 5 in two huge NL parks in a weak hitting league last year. I can't believe I'm saying this, but yes, I would much prefer Igawa. I don't want Wells in AAA blocking guys like McCutchen, or even Wright who I also dislike, from getting promoted.

CallOfTheCrow
05-09-08, 09:03 AM
Wells had an ERA over 5 in two huge NL parks in a weak hitting league last year. I can't believe I'm saying this, but yes, I would much prefer Igawa. I don't want Wells in AAA blocking guys like McCutchen, or even Wright who I also dislike, from getting promoted.

Call it just a hunch but if I had to spot start Cutch or Wells...I'd choose Cutch.

YankeePride1967
05-09-08, 09:04 AM

As low as I am on Igawa, no.

knickfan23
05-09-08, 09:07 AM
Is Wells really 45 years old? Has his birth certificate been checked?

iodon
05-09-08, 09:09 AM
Agreed... but does that mean IBK stays in the minors this year?

Yeah, Kennedy was having so much success here, I want him back as quickly as possible.

For the record, I hate Wells. But let's not pretend that the kids were setting the world on fire up here. If Igawa pitches well, then obviously Wells in unnecessary. If Igawa pitches poorly, you have to start thinking about Wells or Freddy Garcia.

R.V.47
05-09-08, 09:24 AM
You would think after Clemens and Johnson, this team would get the message that you dont want guys in their mid 40's in the starting rotation. This move would reek of desperation worse than Clemens last year and I cant believe its even being considered. If this is the best backup plan Hank and Cash could come up with then we have problems.

ToneinTO
05-09-08, 09:24 AM
Give Wells a few minor league starts, and if it looks like he has anything, left, bring him up. The bottom line is Hughes and Kennedy may be effective down the road, but neither has done anything this year. Since Kennedy is in the minors and Hughes is injured, why not give Wells a chance? This team desperately needs starting pitching. If Wells is washed up, cut him. If he has something left, it will help the team.

Jasbro
05-09-08, 09:28 AM
Ah, the dangers of Hank trying to think....

mrmike98
05-09-08, 09:36 AM
This shouldn't be a consideration under any circumstances. Good fodder for the Post.

cajunyankee
05-09-08, 09:42 AM
Hank has focused foresight. He wants a counter-move ready when the Sox call up old, washed up, fat Bartolo Colon from Pawtucket.

TheBamTino24
05-09-08, 09:44 AM
If 2 of the 3 tank (Rasner/Igawa/Kennedy), or even if Wang, Mussina, or Pettitte go down, I'd actually be surprised if Wells wasn't here.

Granted, it'll take a lot of unfortunate circumstances, plus an agressive move by Hank. And if that does happen, I'm sure Hank will be fed up anyway.

Ynkcpt23
05-09-08, 09:53 AM
Yeah, Kennedy was having so much success here, I want him back as quickly as possible.

For the record, I hate Wells. But let's not pretend that the kids were setting the world on fire up here. If Igawa pitches well, then obviously Wells in unnecessary. If Igawa pitches poorly, you have to start thinking about Wells or Freddy Garcia.

Garcia I could definitely see. Just sign him to a minor league deal and put him through his paces. If he has something to offer, we'll see it then. I'm all for it.

I enjoyed having David Wells in the '90s. Let's leave him there with the memories.

BRNXBMRS
05-09-08, 09:54 AM
Wells was a big-game pitcher, though he was as big a reason as any for why we didn't win the World Series 5 years ago.

Giambi asking out of the game didnt help either.

primetime714
05-09-08, 09:56 AM
Its funny how Hank always uses the first person when talking about potential moves "I've thought about it". This guy really just wants to give off the impression that he is totally in control. He wants to be his father so much its sad.

Jasbro
05-09-08, 10:00 AM
Giambi asking out of the game didnt help either.

Pales in comparison to what Wells did to us, though.

Casey37
05-09-08, 10:17 AM
Hank can think about it as much as he wants, as long as he doesn't decide to do something about it.

cyhughes22
05-09-08, 10:18 AM
Why don't we check on Nolan Ryan while we're at it. I heard he still touches 90. Oh and I wonder what Satchel Paige is doing.;) Jesus tapdancing Christ Hank.

Mantle'sMutt
05-09-08, 10:28 AM
Double up on Hank's Zoloft.

ARoDfan4life
05-09-08, 10:29 AM
no no no no no no no no Hank NO.

YankeesAce4Life
05-09-08, 10:30 AM
"...I was bitter, but I know that wasn't the Yankees, everything was Joe Torre. I wasn't one of his boys. I don't think he liked the way I lived my life or that I spoke my mind."

I love this quote. Hammer meet head of nail.

YankeesAce4Life
05-09-08, 10:33 AM
You would think after Clemens and Johnson, this team would get the message that you dont want guys in their mid 40's in the starting rotation.

Yeah, but this deal wouldn't be a pro-rated $26M or $16M.

Wells said it himself. Low salary, incentive laden and if they don't think he's good, they just cut him. If they can sign LaTroy Hawkins for $3M they could sign Wells for about the same.

YankeesAce4Life
05-09-08, 10:35 AM
Its funny how Hank always uses the first person when talking about potential moves "I've thought about it". This guy really just wants to give off the impression that he is totally in control. He wants to be his father so much its sad.

Like father like son. It's genes. I like Hank a lot and hope he continues his outspokeness.

themgmt
05-09-08, 10:36 AM
For what it's worth, I'd rather see David Wells get lit up, than see Kei Igawa get lit up.

Igawa has the worst body language ever and it literally makes me sick to watch him pitch.

YankeesAce4Life
05-09-08, 10:37 AM
Maybe Brian Cashman should throw a uniform on with the # 1/2 since most of you love Cashman so much. :o :P

YankeesAce4Life
05-09-08, 10:37 AM
For what it's worth, I'd rather see David Wells get lit up, than see Kei Igawa get lit up.

Igawa has the worst body language ever and it literally makes me sick to watch him pitch.

I like your thinking. Wells getting lit up at a lower contract than Igawa I could handle a little bit more.

montrealer
05-09-08, 10:38 AM
I'm not for this signing but I don't think signing Wells is a move they hope to put them over the top.

So.....this is just a Dog and Pony show.........:P

effdamets
05-09-08, 10:42 AM

I think I'd rather watch any other pitcher for the Yankees get lit up over Igawa - I agree. His body language does not speak "I want to be here" very loudly.

BTW - I'll be vomitting all game tonight.... until Igawa is removed.

Breyean
05-09-08, 10:42 AM
My favorite line from the article:

"I'm in shape, I'd just have to fine-tune a couple of things," Wells said. "I'd need a little bit of time, but not much. Physically I feel fine, real good."

If he's in shape, I'm Mr Universe!

YankeesAce4Life
05-09-08, 10:43 AM
My favorite line from the article:

If he's in shape, I'm Mr Universe!

He's in better shape that Fatolo Colon. ;)

JohnnyDamonfan
05-09-08, 10:44 AM
We do need someone. We will not survive with Igawa and Rasner in our starting rotation. We have to tread water and I really don't think Igawa and Rasner can really get it done. All though Wells is probably the worst option. But we need someone and that's why we ned to trade for a starter. I know we won't get to much. I just want someone who can at least help us tread water until Hughes, A-rod, Posada and Kennedy are back.

bostonyankeefan
05-09-08, 10:44 AM
I would take Wells over Igawa in a heartbeat. I also like the idea that others have mentioned above signing him to a minor league deal with lots of incentives.

YankeesAce4Life
05-09-08, 10:45 AM
We do need someone. We will not survive with Igawa and Rasner in our starting rotation. We have to tread water and I really don't think Igawa and Rasner can really get it done. All though Wells is probably the worst option. But we need someone and that's why we ned to trade for a starter. I know we won't get to much. I just want someone who can at least help us tread water until Hughes, A-rod, Posada and Kennedy are back.

He has a rubber arm and can give us the innings. It would be a low risk, high reward.

I can't wait until Horne gets his arm better and can be called up. The guy is Aces.

TheBamTino24
05-09-08, 10:48 AM
From the organization that has tried Aaron Small, Shawn Chacon, Sidney Ponson, Matt DeSalvo, Tim Redding, and Kris Wilson in recent years, nothing would surprise me.

Certainly not David Wells given his NYY pedigree.

HelloNewman
05-09-08, 10:49 AM
"New York has always been the favorite of all my stops," Wells said. "When I got traded, I was bitter. When they didn't re-sign me, I was bitter, but I know that wasn't the Yankees, everything was Joe Torre. I wasn't one of his boys. I don't think he liked the way I lived my life or that I spoke my mind."Well, Dave, when you dropped out of Game 5 in 2003 because your back was hurt because you were too damned out of shape, I wasn't a real big fan of "the way you lived your life" either.

Nice spin by Wells on the non-signing after 2003, too. I have a feeling Cashman maybe remembers it a little differently:

"David agreed verbally to a deal," Cashman said. "There was one component to be completed, a weigh-in. We didn't get it finalized, but we had the financials in place.
"Right now, we're waiting to find out if Boomer honors his commitment. If not, we get two draft picks. He knows how I feel. The ball's in David's court."
Two years ago, Wells had a handshake deal to sign with the Arizona Diamondbacks (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=ari) when the Yankees swooped in to sign him at the last minute.
"I'm not complaining," Cashman said. "This can happen when you're negotiating with David."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1697522

Apparently his deeply held love for New York wasn't strong enough to get him to step on a scale.

YankeesAce4Life
From the organization that has tried Aaron Small, Shawn Chacon, Sidney Ponson, Matt DeSalvo, Tim Redding, and Kris Wilson in recent years, nothing would surprise me.

Certainly not David Wells given his hunger for NYY pedigree dog chow.

Much better now. ;) :P

TheBamTino24
He has a rubber arm and can give us the innings. It would be a low risk, high reward.

The question is what quality of innings? Is there anything left?

Yankee Tripper
05-09-08, 10:50 AM
"Everybody talks about the great players from the farm system that we had in the '90s, but it was the starting rotation. That was a huge part of the success. Huge."

What he forgot add is now he is just huge.

He was awful last year pitching in two of the best picthers parks in all of baseball without having to face a DH. Does anyone think a 45 year old Wells has anything left in the tank? I don't.

Ynkcpt23
05-09-08, 10:51 AM

Yeah, I just don't know if he has anything left. Like Ace4Life was saying, it is low risk. Don't really know if there is any potential for reward??

CallOfTheCrow
05-09-08, 10:54 AM
So.....this is just a Dog and Pony show.........:P

What?

Ynkcpt23
05-09-08, 10:57 AM
What?

You know, like Westminster...but with, umm ponies!

BillBuckner
It's a sexy idea* being that he has always been one of my favorite players, but it just simply would not be a wise decision.

* Probably the first time ever someone has used the word sexy and Wells in the same sentence.

JohnnyDamonfan

I can't wait until Horne gets his arm better and can be called up. The guy is Aces.

If we can get a 1 year deal with Wells like we did for Clemens last year I'd agree with you. No more then 1 year though. We would be better off waiting for Hughes, A-rod, Posada, and Kennedy to get called up again. (Which he will)

YankeesAce4Life
05-09-08, 11:01 AM

This is definitely a question to be asked, but I don't think he could do much worse than Clemens did for us last year. Plus at an extremely cheaper contract.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-09-08, 11:01 AM
Why does anyone actually think he will out pitch Igawa at this point. The man had an era over 5 in the NL west in Petco and Dodger stadium last season. Do you have any Idea how hard that is? Jeff Weaver can't even do that.

CallOfTheCrow
05-09-08, 11:02 AM
This is definitely a question to be asked, but I don't think he could do much worse than Clemens did for us last year. Plus at an extremely cheaper contract.

Why do you think that? Clemens still proved to be very effective in the NL while Wells was getting rocked in a very pitching friendly NL park?

smckdwn989
05-09-08, 11:13 AM
if wells joined this team, then chris britton would gain another 35 pounds.

YankeesAce4Life
05-09-08, 11:14 AM
Why do you think that? Clemens still proved to be very effective in the NL while Wells was getting rocked in a very pitching friendly NL park?

I'm saying that because Clemens didn't do much for us last season. What'd he go? 6-6 with a 4-4.50 ERA or something like that?

Yes, Clemens pitched a few games into the 7th or 8th for us, but like usual, he got injured and almost cost us game 3 in Cleveland. If it wasn't for Hughes stepping up, we would have been swept.

YankeesAce4Life
05-09-08, 11:15 AM
Why does anyone actually think he will out pitch Igawa at this point. The man had an era over 5 in the NL west in Petco and Dodger stadium last season. Do you have any Idea how hard that is? Jeff Weaver can't even do that.

Isn't Busch Stadium pitcher friendly? If so, he had an ERA well over 5 while in St. Louis.

effdamets
05-09-08, 11:15 AM
If Wells was guaranteed to post a 107 ERA+, as Clemens did for the Yankees in 2007, we should all stand in line to sign him up - especially for a price tag between 1 and 2 million (which is my opinion on what Wells should get).

YankeesAce4Life
05-09-08, 11:18 AM
If Wells was guaranteed to post a 107 ERA+, as Clemens did for the Yankees in 2007, we should all stand in line to sign him up - especially for a price tag between 1 and 2 million (which is my opinion on what Wells should get).

I'm all for signing Wells to a minor league incentive based deal. As I said before, low risk, high reward. I would even give Wells $3M like they did LaTroy Hawkins who should have never been signed.

HelloNewman
05-09-08, 11:18 AM
Isn't Busch Stadium pitcher friendly?It has played very slightly pitcher-friendly, yes.

YankeesAce4Life
05-09-08, 11:20 AM
It has played very slightly pitcher-friendly, yes.

Ok then. He posted over a 5ERA for the Cardinals.

I'd rather take Wells over Weaver anyday of the week.

Yankee Tripper
05-09-08, 11:20 AM
I'm all for signing Wells to a minor league incentive based deal. As I said before, low risk, high reward.
That is the only deal for him that would make any sense at all. Though I think it would low risk, little reward.

Yankee Tripper
05-09-08, 11:21 AM
Ok then. He posted over a 5ERA for the Cardinals.

I'd rather take Wells over Weaver anyday of the week.Yeah at least Boomer is a good quote and will do some funny stuff from time to time.

fritz kekich
05-09-08, 11:24 AM
David Wells probably hasn;t weighed 245 since high school.

He put up 1.5 WHIP for LA & SD last year.

And for the big one....at home---cavernous SD & LA...ERA of 3.89.

On the road....ERA of....(drumroll........)..........

They'd be better off with Hankie pitching.

Just what is it that makes ANYONE think Wells can still get out MLB hitters.

YankeesAce4Life
05-09-08, 11:28 AM
Yeah at least Boomer is a good quote and will do some funny stuff from time to time.

Maybe he'll fall on some more wine bottles and get into more fights. :P

tclwca
05-09-08, 11:33 AM
:roflmao:
Maybe Brian Cashman should throw a uniform on with the # 1/2 since most of you love Cashman so much. :o :P

:) :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-09-08, 11:33 AM
Isn't Busch Stadium pitcher friendly? If so, he had an ERA well over 5 while in St. Louis.
Its somewhat pitcher friendly. I was just making a point. I don't want either. :P

Roberto Kelly
05-09-08, 11:34 AM
hands down I'd take Wells over Igawa.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-09-08, 11:35 AM
hands down I'd take Wells over Igawa.
Why??

effdamets
05-09-08, 11:39 AM
Why??
For me...
It's because Igawa has a track record for getting whallopped in America and really, outside of one outting in Boston, has really never had success in the bigs.
David Wells has had reasonable success and there is more reason for me to believe that he can recapture at least some success, moreso than Igawa finding any on accident.

fritz kekich
05-09-08, 11:48 AM
For me...
It's because Igawa has a track record for getting whallopped in America and really, outside of one outting in Boston, has really never had success in the bigs.
David Wells has had reasonable success and there is more reason for me to believe that he can recapture at least some success, moreso than Igawa finding any on accident.

What reason do you think that Wells, at 45 (!) can "recapture" a level of success, when, at 44, in the NL, with two of the pitcherest-friendly parks as home, he hit career highs in WHIP and BB rate. On his best day, Wells might be able to get through an AL lineup with a DH once.

Igawa is 20 years younger, and has put up about a season's worth of success at AAA since his 14 MLB games last year.

If Igawa's potential is zero; then Wells is even less than that, because they'd probably have to lop someone off the 40-man roster to add him. (Not to mention the extra cost of fuel for the charter to lug him around).

NelsonMuntz
05-09-08, 11:55 AM
David Wells probably hasn;t weighed 245 since high school.

He put up 1.5 WHIP for LA & SD last year.

And for the big one....at home---cavernous SD & LA...ERA of 3.89.

On the road....ERA of....(drumroll........)..........

They'd be better off with Hankie pitching.

Just what is it that makes ANYONE think Wells can still get out MLB hitters.
This post needs to be tacked to the top of this thread. It should be required reading before anyone is allowed to post a response in favor of signing Wells. I can't believe anyone thinks it would be a good idea. It's about as ridiculous an idea as signing Mattingly to play 1B right now.

YankeesAce4Life
05-09-08, 12:02 PM
:roflmao:

:) :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I knew someone would get a good laugh from that one. :D

YankeesAce4Life
05-09-08, 12:03 PM
Its somewhat pitcher friendly. I was just making a point. I don't want either. :P

:mad: YOU BETTER WANT WELLS!

:D ;) :o

effdamets
05-09-08, 12:22 PM
What reason do you think that Wells, at 45 (!) can "recapture" a level of success, when, at 44, in the NL, with two of the pitcherest-friendly parks as home, he hit career highs in WHIP and BB rate. On his best day, Wells might be able to get through an AL lineup with a DH once.

Igawa is 20 years younger, and has put up about a season's worth of success at AAA since his 14 MLB games last year.

If Igawa's potential is zero; then Wells is even less than that, because they'd probably have to lop someone off the 40-man roster to add him. (Not to mention the extra cost of fuel for the charter to lug him around).
That is where I disagree.
Wells knows what it takes to get hitters out in the majors and Igawa doesn't.
I'm not saying that overall, Wells will be better than Igawa. However, in a big spot, I know that Wells will be at least know what to do because he's been there before and Igawa, well.... has not.

R.V.47
05-09-08, 12:27 PM
I'm not saying that overall, Wells will be better than Igawa. However, in a big spot, I know that Wells will be at least know what to do because he's been there before and Igawa, well.... has not.

Im sure Wells knows how to get hitters out, just like Im sure Clemens did last year at age 45. That doesnt mean though he still has what it takes to do so.

effdamets
05-09-08, 12:32 PM
Im sure Wells knows how to get hitters out, just like Im sure Clemens did last year at age 45. That doesnt mean though he still has what it takes to do so.
But to me, Igawa is someone that doesn't know how to get hitters out AND doesn't have what it takes to do so... as he has proven on two separate stints in the bigs.

Mantle'sMutt
05-09-08, 12:40 PM

Me too. But I can't.

effdamets
05-09-08, 12:41 PM
Me too. But I can't.
Really? How much major league experience do you have?

NYYFAN
05-09-08, 12:46 PM
He may not go after Wells, but based by his thought process he's itching to trade the kids for a seasoned pitcher...

JfromJersey
05-09-08, 12:50 PM
If the Yankees are out of the race by the All Star break, and the rotation is in shambles, they can bring him back for entertainment value.

Nome
05-09-08, 12:53 PM

Absolutely. Knowing how to do something and being able to execute are two vastly different things. If we want a distraction on our team like Wells we might as well get Clemens also and maybe pattern them against the 1962 Mets. Hmm who would be our Marv Throneberry? WAIT he's on our team now, Jason that's who

Andy:D :D

dabomb2045
05-09-08, 01:09 PM
Are we really discussing whether we'd rather have Igawa or Wells? Ummm...would you rather die by electric chair or by firing squad?

Does it matter? They both are terrible

fritz kekich
05-09-08, 01:14 PM
But to me, Igawa is someone that doesn't know how to get hitters out AND doesn't have what it takes to do so... as he has proven on two separate stints in the bigs.

Then I assume you've concluded that Hughes also lacks what it takes, given his 19 games of 5.51 ERA.

I know how to get hitters out, too. Work fast, throw strikes, change speeds. Its pretty much been the recipe for the last 100 years or so. Yet somehow, I still can't do it.

fritz kekich
05-09-08, 01:15 PM
He may not go after Wells, but based by his thought process he's itching to trade the kids for a seasoned pitcher...

Yes. This should be the thing of most concern.

Jasbro
05-09-08, 01:20 PM
Then I assume you've concluded that Hughes also lacks what it takes, given his 19 games of 5.51 ERA.

I know how to get hitters out, too. Work fast, throw strikes, change speeds. Its pretty much been the recipe for the last 100 years or so. Yet somehow, I still can't do it.

B-b-b-but, Hughes and Kennedy are YOUNG, dammit!

Youth is inherently good, didn't you know that? Besides, I've heard that tolerating failure in young players is a virtue that will guarantee you a place in heaven.

And, apparently, if you can't have youth, then recycling the oldest possible Yankee retreads -- regardless of their current ability or conditioning -- is the next best thing to godliness.

Jasbro
05-09-08, 01:21 PM

I've never been one to defend Hank, but where's the evidence of this?

effdamets
05-09-08, 01:31 PM

And how much major league service time have you accumulated?

As for Hughes, he's 21. He has shown decent flashes of success in the majors and against major league hitters.... AT 21 YEARS OLD. Even in the playoffs!
Igawa has shown me what I see in the toilet bowl after a good meal...

On two separate occessions that mimic this upcoming scenario of major league starts after a minor league visit, Igawa has gotten beaten like a rented mule. I don't see how that pattern is going to change.

Comparing Igawa to Hughes is something that really shouldn't be done.

4bronxbombers
05-09-08, 01:35 PM
Are we really discussing whether we'd rather have Igawa or Wells? Ummm...would you rather die by electric chair or by firing squad?

:lol: :lol:

fritz kekich
05-09-08, 01:59 PM
And how much major league service time have you accumulated?

As for Hughes, he's 21. He has shown decent flashes of success in the majors and against major league hitters.... AT 21 YEARS OLD. Even in the playoffs!
Igawa has shown me what I see in the toilet bowl after a good meal...

On two separate occessions that mimic this upcoming scenario of major league starts after a minor league visit, Igawa has gotten beaten like a rented mule. I don't see how that pattern is going to change.

Comparing Igawa to Hughes is something that really shouldn't be done.

Why does my major league service time matter. "Knowing what to do" is apparently all that matters with David Wells. The fact that David Wells pretty much conclusively demonstrated last year at age 44 that he can no longer actually "do it" doesn't seem to matter. I'm just eliminating the middle step. I've always known "how to do it." That makes me and Boomer the same.

Igawa's last major league start was 5 shutout innings. That ought to clinch it.

effdamets
05-09-08, 02:08 PM
Why does my major league service time matter. "Knowing what to do" is apparently all that matters with David Wells. The fact that David Wells pretty much conclusively demonstrated last year at age 44 that he can no longer actually "do it" doesn't seem to matter. I'm just eliminating the middle step. I've always known "how to do it." That makes me and Boomer the same.

Igawa's last major league start was 5 shutout innings. That ought to clinch it.
Because you have yet to prove you can get major league hitters out... Kinda like Igawa.

JeterForPresident
05-09-08, 02:09 PM
I'd consider this move before I even thought about Bonds, I can say that much.

yankswn23
05-09-08, 02:24 PM
I can hear it now.. "and look whos in George's box.. OMG OMG it's david wells.. He is back!!!"

YanksFan1992
05-09-08, 02:32 PM
I wouldn't be that exicted by this move, but he couldn't be any worse than some of our pitchers have been this year.

Although I would reccomend signing Wells, I wouldn't be completely against it.

smckdwn989
05-09-08, 02:32 PM
I can hear it now.. "and look whos in George's box.. OMG OMG it's david wells.. He is back!!!"

i think it will be more like this...

"and look who's at the concession stand ordering nacho's, hotdogs, beer, and ice cream! OMG OMG it's David Wells... My goodness gracious!" "David Wells is back, but he can't make an announcement, he's busy stuffing his face." :D

AcidLake
05-09-08, 02:53 PM
I'd like to sign Wells and let him retire as a Yankee without any games. I like him a lot, but I don't think he can bring it anymore

mycroft
05-09-08, 03:08 PM
His ROYAL Fatness back in two Yankee uniforms again...huh...well at this point it could be any worse.

NYYFAN
05-09-08, 03:31 PM
I've never been one to defend Hank, but where's the evidence of this?

Just reading in between the lines. It's quite obvious...

BrooklynBotz
05-09-08, 03:54 PM
Really? How much major league experience do you have?
What's with you? You keep asking everyone how much time they've spent in the majors but what does that have to do with anything? Are you saying that unless you've spent time in the bigs you don't know what it takes to get people out? Any intelligent fan who knows baseball knows what it takes to be a good pitcher. It's a different story being able to actually do it but the two are not tied together.

BrooklynBotz
05-09-08, 03:54 PM
I'd consider this move before I even thought about Bonds, I can say that much.
And that's not saying much.:P

R.V.47
05-09-08, 03:56 PM
I'd like to sign Wells and let him retire as a Yankee without any games. I like him a lot, but I don't think he can bring it anymore

Thats what I originally thought this was, like what Jeff Nelson did. Then I heard he wanted to play and I got worried.

montrealer
05-09-08, 04:01 PM
no........pass...

http://keitholbermannisevil.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/david-wells.jpg

CT-Yankee
05-09-08, 04:50 PM
I always liked Wells too, as a pitcher,but I don't see what he can offer at this point. If he was dominating National League hitters last year it might be worth a chance...but he didn't.

Jen19
05-09-08, 05:19 PM
No way, this is not a good move. And to echo others' sentiments, signing Bonds wouldn't be a good move either. I think I'd become a Mets fan if that happened...:eek:

TheoShmeo
05-09-08, 05:27 PM
Hank has focused foresight. He wants a counter-move ready when the Sox call up old, washed up, fat Bartolo Colon from Pawtucket.
Someone better tell Hank that Bartolo's only 35, then. He can expand his pool to include washed up and fat pitchers who are as much as ten years younger than David Wells.

On a more serious note, I'd be more concerned about the Red Sox facing David Wells in a big game than Kei Igawa. Said differently, why the hell not give Wells a look if you're the Yankees? He wants to play there, he did reasonably well last year and he has a rubber arm.

Yankees Empire
05-09-08, 05:27 PM
Getting slapped around in the National League wasn't enough to convince some people that the man is very likely done?

Can we please move on?

smckdwn989
05-09-08, 05:33 PM
hank must have been watching the David Wells Yankee Classics... and thought to himself... "let's get that guy again"

BrooklynBotz
05-09-08, 05:46 PM
hank must have been watching the David Wells Yankee Classics... and thought to himself... "let's get that guy again"
Who knows what the heck Hank is thinking most of the time? He truly is his father's son.

JeterForPresident
05-09-08, 05:50 PM
And that's not saying much.:P

Very true. I guess to bring backs Wells would be really low risk but I really don't know the payoff. He might be better than Igawa just based on the fact he is a veteran with experience, but he might be just as bad or worse. It certainly wouldn't be the worst move the Yankees ever made and it would be a far better move than bringing in Bonds.

b-ball-lunachick
05-09-08, 05:59 PM
"New York has always been the favorite of all my stops," Wells said. "When I got traded, I was bitter. When they didn't re-sign me, I was bitter, but I know that wasn't the Yankees, everything was Joe Torre. I wasn't one of his boys. I don't think he liked the way I lived my life or that I spoke my mind."
:lol: Wells is an idiot...

Wells (the I'm not going to throw between starts guy + anti-fitness) vs Girardi would be even funnier...

DrNick
05-09-08, 06:07 PM
The only thing Hank better be thinkin about is offering Wells is the position of beer vendor. Id rather them sign Bonds to a multi-year deal than see him anywhere near a mound in Pinstripes

b-ball-lunachick
05-09-08, 06:13 PM
The only thing Hank better be thinkin about is offering Wells is the position of beer vendor. Id rather them sign Bonds to a multi-year deal than see him anywhere near a mound in Pinstripes
he can sell ice cream outside the locker room to the guys who still want the junk food. :D

seriously if they sign him to an all incentive laden minor league deal and he doesn't have anything, I don't see the harm...I don't want the guy back but if he pitches lights out, it's not a bad insurance policy...

Yankees13
05-09-08, 08:32 PM

Exactly, it's irrelevant, they both are garbage, but for the record I'll take Igawa over Wells, because a 6.25 ERA is probably half of what Wells would put up. Kennedy is going to be back up here before the month is over, so it doesn't really matter. I can't believe people are advocating this move though. A fat, traitorous, cowardly, 45 year old who got torched in the NL West in the two best pitcher's parks in baseball. Really? If we're that desperate, just call up Kennedy, I'm sure even if he doesn't improve he'll be better than Wells.

Yankees13
05-09-08, 08:36 PM
:lol: Wells is an idiot...

Wells (the I'm not going to throw between starts guy + anti-fitness) vs Girardi would be even funnier...
I'm thinking Girardi would literally kick his ass no later than after 5 or so days on the team. If Wells thought Torre was a hardass, he would be in a world of pain if he played for Girardi.

smr15
05-10-08, 05:13 AM
Hey, if it's vintage Yankee pitchers we want, I'd put Ron Guidry back on the payroll.

Betcha he could still get a few guys out.

trentonthunder
05-10-08, 06:00 AM
It's utterly amazing that the Yankees have put themselves in a position to even think about signing over the hill, overweight, has beens. Where o' where is this organization going ?

VTYanksfan
05-10-08, 06:57 AM
Lets see....Pavano, Igawa, Clemens....Wells...NOT!!!!

R.V.47
05-10-08, 08:14 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/05/10/2008-05-10_boomer_a_bomber_fat_chance.html

Looks like its not gonna happen.

Mangycur
05-10-08, 09:58 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/05/10/2008-05-10_boomer_a_bomber_fat_chance.html

Looks like its not gonna happen.

I'm bummed. I still miss him. The entertainment possibilities of having Boomer play Ollie to Hank's Stan the rest of the season aside, I'd much rather have him on the mound than Igawa. Then again, I'd take anyone from the Wells family over Igawa - Dawn, Mary, Fargo, Snack....anybody!

apalradio
05-10-08, 10:01 AM
Given the state of affairs with our rotation, here's the scary part. Wells could help.

Bub
05-10-08, 10:04 AM
I swear, I'd rather lose.

Constantino24
05-10-08, 11:37 AM
I'm not for bringing back Boomer for a third tour, but can he honestly be any worse? I mean this guy could post a 6.50 ERA in his first start and that would be the best performance from a #5 starter we would have gotten all year. I may not be FOR it, but I am certainly not AGAINST it either. Sometimes you need to shake things up a little bit, and maybe that is what we should do. Small, Chacon, Abreu, Wells? Could he be that missing spark plug that we are looking for? Only time/Hank will tell...

Joba's Rings
05-10-08, 11:51 AM
Not me.

If Boomer is the best choice after pursuing all better options, if he can still pitch acceptably well and if he can be gotten on a minor-league deal, bring him back.

Proctor's Orders
05-10-08, 12:01 PM
He will demand WAY too much money and I swear he will be a hideki irabu redux...thanks, but no thanks.

apalradio
05-10-08, 12:21 PM
He will demand WAY too much money and I swear he will be a hideki irabu redux...thanks, but no thanks.Speaking of Irabu...:-ponder-:

Proctor's Orders
05-10-08, 12:31 PM
Speaking of Irabu...:-ponder-:...he's a plus sized model now, go figure

Bostonsfavson
05-10-08, 12:40 PM
I'm afraid that Boomer would eat little Kennedy. I once saw him eat the rosin bag on the mound between batters.

jimmykey2
05-10-08, 01:40 PM
Wells hasn't been any good recently and if he was, he wouldn't be looking for a job now.

Nooooooooooooo.

primetime714
05-10-08, 02:44 PM
Just cause Igawa sucks doesn't mean we should sign Wells. Kennedy will be back after his next start in AAA and if not Steven White will get a shot.

Alan Horne is also scheduled for his first rehab start a week from Monday.

McCutchen should be up in AAA soon.

Marquez is looking better.

We have other options besides Igawa and Wells.

teknetic
05-10-08, 03:24 PM
Not me.

If Boomer is the best choice after pursuing all better options, if he can still pitch acceptably well and if he can be gotten on a minor-league deal, bring him back.

He can't.

cyhughes22
05-10-08, 03:52 PM
Just cause Igawa sucks doesn't mean we should sign Wells. Kennedy will be back after his next start in AAA and if not Steven White will get a shot.

Alan Horne is also scheduled for his first rehab start a week from Monday.

McCutchen should be up in AAA soon.

Marquez is looking better.

We have other options besides Igawa and Wells.

I'm praying for Horne to get healthy in a hurry. He's the one guy with any real talent in the minors who's close to being ready.

Yankees13
05-10-08, 05:19 PM
Me too, rather forfeit every 5th day.

rodney27nyg
05-10-08, 05:57 PM
...he's a plus sized model now, go figure

For Toadwear?:eek:

smckdwn989
05-10-08, 06:09 PM
Me too, rather forfeit every 5th day.

no offense, but that's crazy talk.

there's no quitting in baseball. if we thought david wells still had something in the tank (besides beer), then we would be more supportive of a move.

Yankees13
05-10-08, 06:10 PM
no offense, but that's crazy talk.

there's no quitting in baseball. if we thought david wells still had something in the tank (besides beer), then we would be more supportive of a move.
I can't stand the guy, sorry. I rather give anyone else in baseball a shot before him.

smckdwn989
05-10-08, 06:12 PM
I can't stand the guy, sorry. I rather give anyone else in baseball a shot before him.
if given the choice between wells and a loss every 5th day? you would choose a loss?

Messerwhitescooter
05-10-08, 06:13 PM
I somehow can't see this guy as a winning pitcher at his age. His last two seasons stunk; what makes Hank think he'd be better in pinstripes?

ArodMVP217
05-10-08, 06:22 PM
back to hank's original comments; he is just reminiscing. you really can't fault him for that. when you break it down, he is still a big fan of the yankees. if you can take anything away from his comments, it'd make more sense to me that he is talking about some other free agents after this yr to complete the "transition" as opposed to "rebuilding stage/yr"

Yankees13
05-10-08, 06:25 PM
if given the choice between wells and a loss every 5th day? you would choose a loss?
Yes, but it wouldn't come to that. It's real simple, just bring Kennedy back up. What I'm saying is that if Wells was the last pitcher in the world, I wouldn't sign him, but since there's plenty of pitchers out there it's a moot point.

Mangycur
05-10-08, 06:31 PM
I somehow can't see this guy as a winning pitcher at his age. His last two seasons stunk; what makes Hank think he'd be better in pinstripes?

Because they're magic? Seriously, if he's willing to sign a laden-incentive one-year contract, what is there to lose? Maybe he is completely done, but I wouldn't be at all shocked by a few decent games. A few decent innings -make that pitches- by Igawa, on the other hand, would stun and amaze me. Personally, I'd rather win with a player I dislike (although I do love me some Boomer) than lose with a favorite.

nhyankeefan
05-10-08, 06:52 PM
Because they're magic? Seriously, if he's willing to sign a laden-incentive one-year contract, what is there to lose? Maybe he is completely done, but I wouldn't be at all shocked by a few decent games. A few decent innings -make that pitches- by Igawa, on the other hand, would stun and amaze me. Personally, I'd rather win with a player I dislike (although I do love me some Boomer) than lose with a favorite.

I agree that it would be worth it to take a shot w/ Boomer and sign him to a minor league deal. But based on how he did last year, I'd be shocked if he ever made a start for the Yanks let alone make some decent ones. I doubt he has anything left.

DJ27
05-10-08, 08:02 PM
Rasner's performance so far will keep Wells out of NY.

azzurribaggio
05-11-08, 09:31 PM
Gives Wells the league minimum and give him a few weeks in the Minors to get back in "shape" then let's see what he's got in the second half....that's the only offer I would make to him. Remember he was pitching like crap for San Diego....