PDA

View Full Version : Whaddya Think About Getting Kevin Millwood?

sjb23
05-06-08, 06:43 PM
I'm looking around for a team that might deal a veteran starter and not be asking for much in return. Because of the terms of his contract, my guess is the Rangers would love to get rid of it. Millwood shouldn't fit into their future plans, and he's under contract through 2010, with $23M owed to him in 2009 and 2010. He'll earn $8.5M this year.

Millwood turns 34 at the end of this year. He's got a good number of innings under his belt, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect 175 IP this year and next. I think he could fill a hole this season as a replacement for Kennedy or Hughes, and I think he could replace Mussina in the rotation next year. Who knows what he'll have left in 2010? He seems to be inconsistent the past couple of years, both in performance and in health, but I think he could contribute as a 4th/5th starter on a contending club like the Yankees. He's got AL experience,and some playoff experience.

Granted, he'd be overpaid (what else is new?) -- but if they don't have to give up much to get him, is it worth spending the bucks?

Not too many clubs would be willing to take on Millwood's contract. The Yanks, if they're willing to blow some more money (hardyharhar), shouldn't have to give up very much in terms of young talent - maybe a package like Jeff Vazquez and Kei Igawa would be enough. Igawa's contract could be considered a bargain if he could stay in the Ranger rotation.

I think they'd be more willing to deal Millwood than Padilla, who's 4 years younger. That's fine -- Millwood has more of a track record and I think would be able to contribute more.

I also think it's very important for the Yanks to make the playoffs this year and still stay committed to developing its top prospects -- a full season in Triple A for either Kennedy or Hughes could and should help them develop and eventually reach their potential. I think the Yanks desperately need another veteran starter in order to get to the playoffs this year.

As far as our hopes for big things out of Kennedy and Hughes, the bubble hasn't burst yet, but it's deflated a little bit, and I think it's unreasonable to expect too much from them too soon.

Discuss..... :)

apalradio
05-06-08, 06:57 PM
He's getting rocked this year, and last year he got hit pretty hard too. Part of me is tempted to say yes because he does have the capability of eating up innings, and he does know how to pitch. I do believe Millwod still has plenty of wins left in that arm. But in the final analysis, I dunno, I just don't see that he's what we're really looking for.

Prison Mike
05-06-08, 09:00 PM
Hughes and Joba will both have innings limits next year- we're going to need someone like a Millwood to give us innings.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-06-08, 09:29 PM
No...

Ynkcpt23
05-06-08, 09:41 PM
No...

Concise.

PinstripeDynasty
05-06-08, 11:08 PM
Let's see how bad Igawa is first before we get that desperate.

ShaneTravis
05-07-08, 10:13 AM
Burnett, CC and a ton of better pitchers are available next year than Millwood.

millervt
05-07-08, 11:07 AM
why would we give up any talent to get an overpaid player, unless we're asking texas to eat part of the contract? If we ate the whole contract, they should be giving US talent, not vice versa, or else they should be taking one of our overpaid players.

would he be any better than rasner or someone else like that who would cost a lot less? i'd think we'd have several "inning eating" options at lower cost if all we are talking about is a mediocre pitcher...

sjb23
05-07-08, 12:16 PM
why would we give up any talent to get an overpaid player, unless we're asking texas to eat part of the contract? If we ate the whole contract, they should be giving US talent, not vice versa, or else they should be taking one of our overpaid players.

would he be any better than rasner or someone else like that who would cost a lot less? i'd think we'd have several "inning eating" options at lower cost if all we are talking about is a mediocre pitcher...

I think the Yankees will need a veteran starter who can give them at least 6 innings per start in order to make the playoffs this year -- there's too many question marks without one.

I also think they don't want to give up much talent in order to get one.

Do you really think this club can be good enough to reach the playoffs with its current pitching staff ?

That's the real question here.....

Yankee Tripper
05-07-08, 12:36 PM
I would just as soon go after Jeff Weaver as I would Kevin Millwood. And I want no part of Jeff Weaver. But, if we are going to waste money on a horrible pitcher, might as well be one we can get on a one year deal instead of giving up prospects and picking up his ugly contract that I think may run through 2011.

THEBOSS84
05-07-08, 12:38 PM
Ewwww

Kulish29
05-07-08, 12:38 PM
Whaddya you think about getting herpes?

sjb23
05-07-08, 02:49 PM
Ewwww

Whaddya you think about getting herpes?;)
obviously, one has to question your maturity levels....

I was really wondering what you folks think -- do the Yanks need to acquire a veteran starter that can give them about 25 starts/150 IP in order to get into the playoffs this year? If so, who do you think they could get, and at what cost?

Yankee Tripper
05-07-08, 03:30 PM
;) I was really wondering what you folks think -- do the Yanks need to acquire a veteran starter that can give them about 25 starts/150 IP in order to get into the playoffs this year? If so, who do you think they could get, and at what cost?
Millwood is an aging pitcher with a bloated contract and declining perepherals. He's exactly the type of picther the Yankees should avoid. Kind of like you want to avoid herpes I guess.

I would not be opposed to a veteran innings eater in the final year of a contract (no I don't have any names in mind) for B-level prospect(s) but no I do not think it is necessary to make the playoffs. The Yanks won 94 games last year with a fairly motley collection of starters at times last year.

While Rasner, Igawa & Karsten are no great shakes and Kennedy/Hughes have not performed well to date, I think this group along with a couple other names tossed around in our minor league system can out pitch a 34 year old Millwood who has a WHIP in excess of 1.6 the last year+ at a much lower cost.