PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want/NOT want on the 2009 Yankees?

Pages : [1] 2 3

yankeeman61
05-02-08, 10:40 AM
Yeah, it's still early in 2008 but as Yogi says "It's getting late early". When it becomes Rasner to the rescue and Posada heading to the DL for the first time ever, you know things must be shaping up to be a true year of transition. While it doesn't appear to be a major rebuilding project changes will happen as they always do in Yankeeland. Here is what I would like to see:

Goodbye

Giambi
Farnsworth
Mussina
Damon - trade him while he is still worth something
Matsui - ditto - Torre would want him - get prospect(s)
Hawkins
Traber
Betemit

Hello, FA's

Texiera
Dunn

K-Rod - yeah I know it's a pipe dream but can you imagine him setting up for Mo? Give him lots of money and he'll be closing again by age 30. If they can't get him I would look at Lidge or Lyon

CCCC Sabathia - no I'm not concerned about his weight or what he's done so far this year; he can pitch and would be great in YS

I'm keeping Abreu - 2 years, team option for a 3rd - if he wants more then it's goodbye - AJax is hopefully ready

Cabrera CF
Jeter SS
Abreu RF / DH
ARod 3B
Texiera 1B
Dunn DH / RF
Cano 2B
Posada C
Gardner /Ajax LF - platoon

Starters

Wang
Pettitte
Sabathia
Chamberlain
Hughes

Mo
K-Rod , but Lidge or Lyon more realistic
Dorf
Patterson
Bruney ?
Albaladejo
Horne ?
Kennedy?

Bench

Molina
A Gonzo
Gardner or AJax

Fill in the blanks

Suggestions?

YankeePride1967
05-02-08, 10:48 AM
definite gones are Pavano, Giambi and Mussina. I would look for offers for Damon and Matsui but wouldn't look to unload them.

YankeeZim
05-02-08, 11:15 AM
Goodbye

Pavano (thank god)
Giambi
Traber
Betemit
Hawkins

Hello, FA's

Texiera
Pat Burrell
A. J. Burnett (if he opts out of final year of contract)
C. C. Sabathia (if A.J. doesnt)
Brad Lidge

I'd love K-Rod, but i dont believe there is any chance of him ever setting up for anyone.

If we dont re-sign one of Mussina/Pettitte then we're gonna need 2 FA pitchers if we have hopes of competing.

Mark19
05-02-08, 11:30 AM
I would throw a swimming pool full of cash at Teixeira but I'm not convinced we are the most desperate team out there. Same applies for Sabathia.

Better to go for value than the big name.

Assuming Hughes, Kennedy and Joba can all be no worse than league-average in 2009, I would bank on at least two of them taking up rotation spots.

I would offer Andy the same inflated salary to return but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I would test the market for high-risk guys like Burnett (if he opts out) and Sheets. If they can somehow be had for 3-4 year deals and are coming off of years with 25+ starts, I would pull the trigger.

I would strongly consider clearing out some AA-AAA pitching for positional prospects.

For the lineup, I would offer Abreu a two year deal to return but I wouldn't overpay to keep him long-term considering his age and the likelihood of decline. If he doesn't want to return, I would suggest making a play for Mark Teahen and platooning him with a cheap veteran like Juan Rivera.

The other option would be to bring up Gardner and move Melky to right.
This outfield would be awfully weak on offense though.

Giambi is gone and I'm not convinced blowing $200 million on Tex is the right way to go.
If Miranda has a nice season, I could see him being a part-timer, but I don't think we can rely on this happening.

Adam LaRoche has been underperforming massively with Pittsburgh and I suspect they would be anxious to move him. He is only 28, has a very good glove and would be a nice platoon partner with Shelley. We desperately need to inject some youth into this lineup and I imagine this would be a good start.
Also, I would give Jeter and Matsui three games a week at DH. I would be more than willing to put Molina behind the plate twice a week so we can preserve Posada. Alberto Gonzalez has already shown he can be our big glove man around the infield. Betemit is versatile but not excellent at any one position, therefore he needs to start hitting if he wants to stay on the team.

Bullpen:
Mo isn't going anywhere and you can put me in the camp of those who think Joba has to be a starter by the end of the summer.
The best relievers usually come out of nowhere and I see no reason why we can't give Ohlendorf, Albaldejo, Patterson, Bruney, Britton and Robertson/Cox opportunities to be set-up men next year. The only major acquisition I would consider would be Brian Fuentes as a LHRP -- all depends on whether he sticks at CL for the Rockies.

2009 Roster:

Rotation:

Wang
Chamberlain
Pettite/Wolf
Hughes
Sheets/Burnett OR Kennedy/Horne

Lineup:

Damon LF
Jeter SS/DH
Abreu RF
Rodriguez 3B
Matsui DH
Posada C
Duncan/LaRoche 1B
Cano 2B
Cabrera CF

Bench:

Molina C
Gonzalez INF
Betemit/Christian UTIL
Miranda 1B/DH

Bullpen:

Rivera CL
Bruney RHRP
Ohlendorf RHRP
Fuentes LHRP
Albaladejo/Britton RHRP
Rasner Long Relief/Swing Man

NavyTim
05-02-08, 11:35 AM
When is Igawa done on his contract ? - as he is one to go to the curb as well....

BRNXBMRS
05-02-08, 11:54 AM
Goodbye

Pavano (thank god)
Giambi
Traber
Betemit
Hawkins

Hello, FA's

Texiera
Pat Burrell
Brad Lidge

I'd love K-Rod, but i dont believe there is any chance of him ever setting up for anyone.

If we dont re-sign one of Mussina/Pettitte then we're gonna need 2 FA pitchers if we have hopes of competing.

So basically sign every high price F/A out there and dont give Cashmans LTP another year. And run the payroll right back up to $200 mill.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-02-08, 12:03 PM
I'm OK with all your goodbyes. I don't want any of the FAs. I'd like to see where Bobby is at by the end of the year, if its a good year, I'd offer him a 2 year extension at the max.

yankeeman61
05-02-08, 12:17 PM
Pavano hasn't been a part of this team so he didn't even warrant a goodbye :lol:

For those suggesting Melky move for Gardner or AJax I'm OK with that as long as either can handle CF. Melky has a plus arm and it would seem wasted in LF. Then again, absolutely no one would be running on him from LF

BillBuckner
05-02-08, 12:25 PM
Definite goodbyes to Giambi, Mussina, and Pavano. Get rid of Damon and Farnsworth only if we can find adequate replacements. Give Texeria and Sabathia blank checks and find out their hat sizes.

BillBuckner
05-02-08, 12:26 PM
When is Igawa done on his contract ? - as he is one to go to the curb as well....
Hmmm. I actually forgot he existed.

Bologma!
05-02-08, 12:40 PM
Goodbye
Giambi
Farnsworth
Mussina
Matsui - He can't play a position and has more trade value than Damon (hasn't hit in the playoffs)
Abreu - Worse defensively, wrong side of 30, has been inconsistent, get picks for letting him walk.
Hawkins

Hello
Texiera - If I'm paying for a player then I want someone who can actually field their position well. Sick and tired of management only paying attention to two facets of the game. Use the money saved on trading Matsui and not re-signing Abreu.

K-Rod - Blow him out of the water so he'll except set-up roll.

CC Sabathia - Drop Pettitte and use the saved on him.

EDIT: I like Burnett, but teams will way over pay for his 'stuff'.

2009 Roster:
Rotation:
Sabathia
Wang
Chamberlain (I assume entering camp we can expect him to be at least a little above average)
Hughes (If he doesn't show he can hold his own then he becomes #5 and we look elsewhere for a 4, maybe the proceeds from the Matsui trade)
McCutchen
(Ideally I'd like to go to camp with six guys fighting for five spots)

Lineup:
Cabrera CF
Jeter RF (NO MORE SS! Cashman and Girardi need to put an end to this)
Tex RF
Rodriguez 3B
Posada C
Cano 2B
DH (rolling spot to rest our starters especially Po, throw some sh!t at a wall, look at a temporary fix through trade if everyone bombs)
Damon LF
AG (Taking a digger on this one since his bat will be terrible, but he'll be providing excellent D at one of the most important defensive positions)

Bench:
Molina C (gives Po lots of rest)
Betemit UTIL
Gardner OF
XXXXX

Bullpen:
Mo CL
F-Rod Set-up
Bruney
Albaladejo
Ohlendorf
Britton
XXXXX

Summary:
Offense: It was nice going a long time with a name at every spot in the lineup but we'll still put up runs with the top teams. In fact, with the age regression of Matsui and Abreu there's a fair chance Tex' superior and sustained numbers and perhaps some growth by Melky and Cano that we'll be as good as if we had kept them. Gardner will provide excellent speed off the bench for the !Brian Roberts! moments.
Starters: Where the offense might fall off the pitching is better. Sabathia is considerably better than Pettitte and will provide more stability to the top of the rotation than the current combo. Joba > Mussina. Hughes 2009 > Hughes 2008. McCutch gets a shot to fill out the rotation, if he fails some there should be some guys moving up to replace him. Improved defense will help the staff, which brings us to...
Defense: SS and 1B vastly improved with SS providing providing an especially tremendous aid to our starters. I'm confident Jeter will be better than Bobby in RF but who knows.
Bullpen: F-Rod will help stabilize the pen like Joba did. Though Bruney's and Ohlendorf's raw stuff will be lights out on occasion I'm not expecting anyone to make a tremendous improvement, just serviceable relief pitching behind a staff that will be much better equipped to hide the pens flaws.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-02-08, 12:42 PM
Good Idea for a thread.

First and foremost I want Raphael Soriano, who I believe is a FA.

As far as OFers go, I love Dunn, but he may get the Giambi treatment from fans who love batting average and hate strikeouts. He'd be a nice consolation prize if the Yankees decided not to go after Tex or re-up Abreu.

I like Burrell more than most, in fact I suggested trading Pavano for him a year or two back and got laughed at for it (from the yankee fan standpoint, not the phillies fan standpoint), but he's having a big contract year so far and seems like the type of dude that would be a d:ck and ask for something unreasonable because of it.

Ibanez is always solid. He's also the nice, quiet, "lunchpale" type that many Yankee fans have become obsessed with.

Any of the guys I mentioned are also options at first base IMO. Other than Soriano obviously. Then again Posada should be seeing more time there.

yankeeman61
05-02-08, 12:58 PM
Good Idea for a thread.

First and foremost I want Raphael Soriano, who I believe is a FA.

As far as OFers go, I love Dunn, but he may get the Giambi treatment from fans who love batting average and hate strikeouts. He'd be a nice consolation prize if the Yankees decided not to go after Tex or re-up Abreu.

I like Burrell more than most, in fact I suggested trading Pavano for him a year or two back and got laughed at for it (from the yankee fan standpoint, not the phillies fan standpoint), but he's having a big contract year so far and seems like the type of dude that would be a d:ck and ask for something unreasonable because of it.

Ibanez is always solid. He's also the nice, quiet, "lunchpale" type that many Yankee fans have become obsessed with.

Any of the guys I mentioned are also options at first base IMO. Other than Soriano obviously. Then again Posada should be seeing more time there.

You know I forgot about Soriano. He would be a good option and maybe better than Lidge or Lyon. He is one of those under the radar guys.

I thought you might call me on Dunn after all of our Giambi discussions :lol: I don't like all of his K's either, but I would like to see one more booming RH bat in the lineup and he can play OF and is only 29. I would honestly spend the money (not the years!) to grab both Dunn and Tex. That lineup would be quite balanced. I do like Ibanez and wouldn't mind him if Abreu leaves. Burrell would be nice to have right now...oh if only Pavano could have been unloaded...GAH!

fredgmuggs
05-02-08, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Abreu getting a nice 3 or 4 year contract from the Yankees.... and I think that would be a huge mistake.

cupcollector99
05-02-08, 01:07 PM
If the Yankees can convince someone to take Damon, Igawa and/or Matsui, I'd be happy.
Then the Yanks lose Giambi, Mussina, Abreu, Farnsworth and that Pavano guy I keep hearing about too. The Yankees need ballplayers not huge albatross contracts. Remember, the Yankees have the new stadium coming on line so they have assured themselves at least two seasons of people buying tickets just for the novelty of it so they have some wiggle room when it comes to developing players so they should take advantage of it. I don't see Cashman going back to the 200+ mil payroll unless the Steins get involved so some of the free agent dreams we have will probably remain just that.

NYKforever
05-02-08, 01:11 PM
Goodbye

Giambi
Abreu - get the picks
Farnsworth
Mussina
Hawkins
Traber
Betemit
Pavano (as if he was ever here in the first place)

On the Fence

Damon/Matsui- Would trade one of them if possible

Hello, FA's

Texiera
Lidge

Damon LF
Jeter SS
Cano 2B
ARod 3B
Texiera 1B
Matsui DH
Posada C
Melky CF
Jackson RF

Bench

Molina C
A Gonzo IF
Duncan 1B/RF
Gardner OF

Starters

Wang
Pettitte
Chamberlain
Hughes
Kennedy

Mo
Lidge
Bruney
Ohlendorf
Ramirez
Albaladejo
Horne

There are plenty of other options in the bullpen:

Cox
Rasner
Karstens
McCutchen
Robertson
Veras
Patterson
Sanchez (still recovering)

montrealer
05-02-08, 01:16 PM
Yeah, it's still early in 2008 but as Yogi says "It's getting late early". When it becomes Rasner to the rescue and Posada heading to the DL for the first time ever, you know things must be shaping up to be a true year of transition. While it doesn't appear to be a major rebuilding project changes will happen as they always do in Yankeeland. Here is what I would like to see:

Goodbye

Giambi
Farnsworth
Mussina
Hawkins
Traber
Betemit

Hello, FA's

Texiera
Dunn

K-Rod - yeah I know it's a pipe dream but can you imagine him setting up for Mo? Give him lots of money and he'll be closing again by age 30. If they can't get him I would look at Lidge or Lyon

CCCC Sabathia - no I'm not concerned about his weight or what he's done so far this year; he can pitch and would be great in YS

I'm keeping Abreu - 2 years, team option for a 3rd - if he wants more then it's goodbye - AJax is hopefully ready

Cabrera CF
Jeter SS
Abreu RF / DH
ARod 3B
Texiera 1B
Dunn DH / RF
Cano 2B
Posada C

Starters

Wang
Pettitte
Sabathia
Chamberlain
Hughes

Mo
Dorf
Patterson
Bruney ?
Albaladejo
Horne ?
Kennedy?

Bench

Molina
A Gonzo
Gardner or AJax

Fill in the blanks

Suggestions?

Put the Crack pipe down.

BRNXBMRS
05-02-08, 02:11 PM
Put the Crack pipe down.

No $hit, according to that guy no other MLB team is going to sign any F/A's

Allan
05-02-08, 02:48 PM
If the Yankees can convince someone to take Damon, Igawa and/or Matsui, I'd be happy.
Then the Yanks lose Giambi, Mussina, Abreu, Farnsworth and that Pavano guy I keep hearing about too. The Yankees need ballplayers not huge albatross contracts. Remember, the Yankees have the new stadium coming on line so they have assured themselves at least two seasons of people buying tickets just for the novelty of it so they have some wiggle room when it comes to developing players so they should take advantage of it. I don't see Cashman going back to the 200+ mil payroll unless the Steins get involved so some of the free agent dreams we have will probably remain just that.
It's going to difficult to avoid considering that just 4 players ( A-Rod, Jeter, Rivera, Posada) will command $ 78 M or so for each of the next several years.

DaSh 1s
05-02-08, 02:49 PM
Goodbye
Giambi
Farnsworth
Mussina
Matsui - He can't play a position and has more trade value than Damon (hasn't hit in the playoffs)
Abreu - Worse defensively, wrong side of 30, has been inconsistent, get picks for letting him walk.
Hawkins

If it wasn't for Abreu and Matsui I dont even think we would be above .500 this year

teknetic
05-02-08, 02:50 PM
Goodbye:
Giambi
Farnsworth
Mussina
Hawkins

FA's:
Abreu (I wouldn't go over 2 years, 3 might be pushing it)
Texiera (This has to be priority #1; switch-hitter with pop, still in prime, exceptional defensively; add to the fact we have NO ONE in the minors)

I wouldn't touch CC with a ten foot pole. K-Rod is gonna ask for a ton of dough and I'm not sure how he'll react to setting up. We have a ton of money being freed up, so more than one big fish isn't out of the realms of possibility.

yankeeman61
05-02-08, 02:52 PM
No $hit, according to that guy no other MLB team is going to sign any F/A's

:lol: I guess we shouldn't want what we want

JohnnyDamonfan
05-02-08, 03:00 PM
Good Bye

Pavano

Giambi

Mussina

Hawkins

Hello:

Mark T. (All though I do want CC if we could just get Mark T. I'd be happy.)

I think we might be able to get K-rod I wouldn't mind having him as the set up guy. But he would probably want to close and there are tons of teams that need a good closer. If we could find a way to get Tex. and CC that would be the best possible outcome.

BRNXBMRS
05-02-08, 03:07 PM
:lol: I guess we shouldn't want what we want

Thats fine, but you have the Yanks signing every available top tier free agent in 09.

brosiusbuddy
05-02-08, 03:24 PM
Seriously? This thread is started on May 2? Why is 2009 even a topic yet and why would you decide now who you want when you haven't even seen what all of your "goodbyes" have done in 2008?

yankeeman61
05-02-08, 03:33 PM
Thats fine, but you have the Yanks signing every available top tier free agent in 09.

And this would be a problem for the Yankees? :lol:

Seriously, it's a wish list. Do you get everything you want for Christmas? I don't, but I'm going to put some good stuff on the list. Why ask for Juan Rivera when you can ask for Adam Dunn?

cupcollector99
05-02-08, 04:05 PM
How many complaints are we going to read about how "old" Tex will be after a five year contract?

Ynkcpt23
05-02-08, 04:15 PM

Goodbye

Giambi
Farnsworth
Mussina
Hawkins
Traber
Betemit

Hello, FA's

Texiera
Dunn

Cabrera CF
Jeter SS
Abreu RF / DH
ARod 3B
Texiera 1B
Dunn DH / RF
Cano 2B
Posada C

Starters

Wang
Pettitte
Sabathia
Chamberlain
Hughes

Mo
Dorf
Patterson
Bruney ?
Albaladejo
Horne ?
Kennedy?

Bench

Molina
A Gonzo
Gardner or AJax

Fill in the blanks

Suggestions?

Good luck getting value for Damon. Matsui could garner some interest.

I take it you're running under the assumption that Andy re-ups, which is possible, but can't be counted on.

K-Rod's never going to happen. They'd have to give him crazy $$ and convince him that setting up Mo, while temporary, is in his best interests.

I still don't see Patterson making the club unless he gets some time up here this season and performs well--more likely Rasner, unless IPK is pitching long relief. How many years does Hawkins have on his contract?

You have some interesting ideas--I still think the Sabathia thing is very unlikely as well. Concerns about his weight, overall health, and the mostly crap season he is having (before he pitched against us) + the $$$ he will command make it difficult.

Dirty Coke
05-02-08, 04:20 PM
Who would even take Damon?

teknetic
05-02-08, 04:44 PM
Seriously? This thread is started on May 2? Why is 2009 even a topic yet and why would you decide now who you want when you haven't even seen what all of your "goodbyes" have done in 2008?

Seriously? why do you care? It's May 2nd, what exactly is there to talk about?

R.V.47
05-02-08, 04:48 PM
Can we just rename this The Official 2009 Mark Texeira Performance Thread.

CallOfTheCrow
05-02-08, 04:50 PM
Gone:
Farnsworth
Pavano
Mussina
Giambi
Traber
Damon(only if we can get prospects or salary dump)
Betemit

Want:
Pettitte (if he will take a 2 year deal)
Sheets (if there would be an extensive injury clause in the contract)
AJ Burnett (See Ben Sheets)

YankeeZim
05-02-08, 04:52 PM
So basically sign every high price F/A out there and dont give Cashmans LTP another year. And run the payroll right back up to $200 mill.Why not? They've been competitive and won 4 championships in the last 12 years using that formula.

CT-Yankee
05-02-08, 05:53 PM
GOODBYE
Mussina - OUR SECOND BEST PITCHER NOW!! :P
Giambi
Hawkins
Farnsworth
Cashman

HELLO
Texeira
Bronson Arroyo
Santana -Oops wait, we missed that - see Cashman above

hongchihkuo
05-02-08, 07:09 PM
hopefully mussina and pettitte will have good reasons to return.

definitely will pass on abreu. still can't believe his defense after watching some of those flyballs against kennedy. of course, clean out the lockers of pavano, farnsworth, hawkins, giambi as fast as possible.

unfortunately, damon and matsui appear untradeable.

absolute no to acquiring texeira or arroyo. bring up the prospects.

THEBOSS84
05-02-08, 07:11 PM
Gone:
Farnsworth
Pavano
Mussina
Giambi
Traber
Damon(only if we can get prospects or salary dump)
Betemit

Want:
Pettitte (if he will take a 2 year deal)
Sheets (if there would be an extensive injury clause in the contract)
AJ Burnett (See Ben Sheets)

I don't get your Pettitte condition. Why would we sign him to a 2 yr deal if he has showed he will go year to year with us?

CallOfTheCrow
05-02-08, 07:13 PM
I don't get your Pettitte condition. Why would we sign him to a 2 yr deal if he has showed he will go year to year with us?

Well if he wants to continue doing that, even better.

THEBOSS84
05-02-08, 07:15 PM
Well if he wants to continue doing that, even better.

I can totally see him doing it again. I believe he was quoted as saying that he wants to pitch in the new stadium.

CallOfTheCrow
05-02-08, 07:16 PM
I can totally see him doing it again. I believe he was quoted as saying that he wants to pitch in the new stadium.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up in support of that then.

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing him saying that as well.

jbauer2485
05-02-08, 10:39 PM
Didn't Tex say many times he didn't want to be a Yankee? I know you can't take that too seriously, but I'd hate to get my hopes up...

THEBOSS84
05-02-08, 10:44 PM
Didn't Tex say many times he didn't want to be a Yankee? I know you can't take that too seriously, but I'd hate to get my hopes up...

Where did you see this? Him saying that and eliminating the Yanks as a suitor is just dumb in so many ways.

Yankees13
05-02-08, 11:04 PM
I would sign Dunn instead of Tex. They're identical hitters, both career OPS+ of 130. Tex is better defensively, and has the benefit of being a switch hitter to add balance to our lineup, but Dunn will come at half the years, and less than half the price. As far as pitching, I wait to see what CC does this year, and how many years he demands. If he can be signed for something like 5/110, I do it. I would also re-sign Pettitte to create a rotation of: CC, Wang, Pettitte, Joba, and Hughes/Kennedy. I try to re-sign Abreu at a reasonable cost, and try to move Matsui.

CallOfTheCrow
05-02-08, 11:06 PM
Where did you see this? Him saying that and eliminating the Yanks as a suitor is just dumb in so many ways.

& his agent (isn't it Boras?) would be like "good f*cking job, slick."

THEBOSS84
05-02-08, 11:06 PM
I would sign Dunn instead of Tex. They're identical hitters, both career OPS+ of 130. Tex is better defensively, and has the benefit of being a switch hitter to add balance to our lineup, but Dunn will come at half the years, and less than half the price. As far as pitching, I wait to see what CC does this year, and how many years he demands. If he can be signed for something like 5/110, I do it. I would also re-sign Pettitte to create a rotation of: CC, Wang, Pettitte, Joba, and Hughes/Kennedy. I try to re-sign Abreu at a reasonable cost, and try to move Matsui.

Dude the reason that Dun will come at half the years and half the price is that he sucks on defense. Do we want another bad 1b/dh type who also is iffy in the OF? I want the two way player who can bat 3rd and not strike out 200 times a year.

I don't want to go near CC unless it's 4 years which basically means no deal.

THEBOSS84
05-02-08, 11:07 PM
& his agent (isn't it Boras?) would be like "good f*cking job, slick."

Yeah, it's Boras.... big no-no

apalradio
05-03-08, 12:25 AM
GOODBYE
Mussina - OUR SECOND BEST PITCHER NOW!! :P
Giambi
Hawkins
Farnsworth
Cashman

HELLO
Texeira
Bronson Arroyo
Santana -Oops wait, we missed that - see Cashman aboveInteresting to see Arroyo on your list. I've been wondering if this isn't a good time to pick him up on the cheap. I'd like to see him shut down (and shut up) the Sox.

cyhughes22
05-03-08, 12:44 AM
Goodbye

Mussina
Giambi
Damon-I don't care if we give him away to homeless children in Sudan.
Hawkins: see Damon
Pavano

Hello

Big Tex
Burnett(If he stays healthy this year)
Brad Lidge
Pat Burrell

So my lineup is:

Cabrera CF
Jeter SS
Abreu RF
Rodriguez 3B
Teixeira 1B
Cano 2B
Matsui DH
Posada C
Burrell LF

Bench
Molina
Gonzalez
Ensberg
Gardner

Rotation
Wang
Burnett
Hughes
Pettitte/Kennedy
Chamberlain

Pen
Rasner/Kennedy
Ohlendorf
Farnsworth
Bruney
Lidge
Sanchez
Rivera

Yankees13
05-03-08, 01:11 AM
Dude the reason that Dun will come at half the years and half the price is that he sucks on defense. Do we want another bad 1b/dh type who also is iffy in the OF? I want the two way player who can bat 3rd and not strike out 200 times a year.

I don't want to go near CC unless it's 4 years which basically means no deal.
I probably seen him play 3 or 4 times in my life, so I'm clueless on his D, but is he really that bad at 1st? From what I've read he sucks in the OF, but I would sign him as a 1st baseman. I just think we would get similar production at a much cheaper price, since Teixeria has this great reputation and his agent is Boras. 8 years 180 million vs 5 years 80 million is a big price to pay for 1st base defense.

I would ideally only go to 4 on CC, but I would be willing to concede a 5th year, he is pretty young and has been completely healthy in his career. However, someone will give him more than 5 years so it's a moot point, we'll have to come up with a plan B most likely.

jughead
05-03-08, 01:56 AM
I don't know how some of you want to get rid of Matsui/Giambi and then bring in guys like Dunn. Makes absolutely no sense.

K-Rod and Lidge will not be setting up for the Yankees, so forget that too.

Blazer
05-03-08, 07:57 AM
Outgoing:

Giambi
Farnsworth
Mussina
Hawkins
Damon via trade
Betemit

Incoming:

Position Players:

1. Mark Teixeira
2. Pat Burrell
99. Adam Dunn

Starting Pitching:

1. CC Sabbathia
2. Ben Sheets
3. Paul Byrd
4. Derek Lowe
5. Jon Garland

Bullpen Help:

LH -
1. Brian Fuentes
1a. Hitoki Iwase
2. Damaso Marte

RH -
1.Brad Lidge
1a. Brandon Lyon
2.Kerry Wood
Long Shot - FRod

montrealer
05-03-08, 11:03 AM
I see the crack pipe is still being passed around......:lol: gimme a hit off that thing....

cyhughes22
05-03-08, 12:21 PM
I don't know how some of you want to get rid of Matsui/Giambi and then bring in guys like Dunn. Makes absolutely no sense.

I can see you doubting that we'll get K-Rod but what exactly is going to stop us getting Lidge?

R.V.47
05-03-08, 04:29 PM

I agree, the only way I would want Adam Dunn on the team would be if it was like a mid season trade and he could provide some power down the stretch. I dont think I could put up though with his all or nothing offense for a whole season though.

sweet_lou_14
05-03-08, 05:31 PM

I have an idea for getting K-Rod. Build a team so awesome that you need two closers, because nobody can close 6 times per week.

Each closer would get about 40-50 saves. (The other 62-82 wins would be by more than three runs.)

NYYFAN
05-03-08, 05:35 PM
As long as our 20 million plus .170 clean up hitter is gone. I'm good...:D

Can't wait to see him in another uniform...

yankeeman61
05-03-08, 05:51 PM
I see the crack pipe is still being passed around......:lol: gimme a hit off that thing....

I think we need it watching the ups and downs of the current roster. Hence the reason for envisioning a dreamland where things are better :lol: . Besides the crack pipe is better than the gas pipe :)

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-03-08, 07:22 PM
I don't know how some of you want to get rid of Matsui/Giambi and then bring in guys like Dunn. Makes absolutely no sense. Because?

On edit, I can see you not seeing how Dunn is an upgrade over Matsui. Overall production wise they are pretty similar and they play the same position. Giambi on the other hand simply won't play as much, or have the ability to play OF, though when Giambi is healthy he is as productive as Dunn. You know what on second thought you make a good point.

SINCE77 2
05-03-08, 08:14 PM
Re: Adam Dunn

If the Yankees are looking to the Reds for a possible trade, I think that Ryan Freel would bring more to this team than Adam Dunn could. He seems like the super utility guy we thought we were getting with Betemit.

primetime714
05-03-08, 09:31 PM
Realistic/Practical Scenario-

Good-Bye:
Pavano- 10M
Farnsworth- 5.5M
Moose- 11M
Giambi- 17M (22M w/ 5M buyout)
Abreu- 16M
Hawkins- 4M
Petitte- 16M

Hello:
CC Sabathia- 5 years 100M+ (he's definitely worth the 5th year)
Teixeira- 6 years 120M
Damaso Marte- 3 years 15M
Rocco Baldelli- 1 year 2M (w/incentives)

Sabathia takes Pettitte's spot at the top of the rotation as the staff lefty and is a true Ace to pair with Wang.

Teixeira fills the need for a middle of the order bat, he also fills the hole we've had at 1B for a while.

Marte gives us a strong lefty in our bullpen, we have plenty of righties in the system.

Baldelli gives us an extra option in RF if he is healthy. If not we still have Shelly Duncan as well as minor league options such as Gardner and Jackson.

Crazy/Aggressive Scenario:

Good-Bye:
Pavano
Farnsworth
Moose
Giambi
Damon
Abreu
Pettitte

Hello:
Sabathia
Teixeira
Rafael Furcal- (Jeter moves to LF)
Oliver Perez
Brian Fuentes
Rocco Baldelli

In this situation we're a little more agressive and spend quite a bit more than we're probably willing to. The Jeter position switch is probably not going to happen this soon, but Furcal is a very good option if we were to make the switch and he replaces the traded Damon in the leadoff spot. Sabathia and Teixeira go with out explanation as they're elite FAs that don't come around that often. Perez gives us another young lefty starter with dominating stuff and Ace potential. It also gives us someone to pick up the slack if guys like Kennedy and Horne can't fill that #5 spot. With a lot of the other available FA pitchers he may fly somewhat under the radar if the Met's don't lock him up before FA. Fuentes would be a great left handed setup man. Baldelli, again I just like this move to give us another option in RF. With all that said this scenario would absolutely never happen.

27IsNext
05-03-08, 09:43 PM
Realistic/Practical Scenario-

Good-Bye:
Pavano- 10M
Farnsworth- 5.5M
Moose- 11M
Abreu- 16M
Hawkins- 4M
Petitte- 16M

Hello:
CC Sabathia- 5 years 100M+ (he's definitely worth the 5th year)
Teixeira- 6 years 120M
Damaso Marte- 3 years 15M
Rocco Baldelli- 1 year 2M (w/incentives)

Sabathia takes Pettitte's spot at the top of the rotation as the staff lefty and is a true Ace to pair with Wang.

Teixeira fills the need for a middle of the order bat, he also fills the hole we've had at 1B for a while.

Marte gives us a strong lefty in our bullpen, we have plenty of righties in the system.

Baldelli gives us an extra option in RF if he is healthy. If not we still have Shelly Duncan as well as minor league options such as Gardner and Jackson.

Crazy/Aggressive Scenario:

Good-Bye:
Pavano
Farnsworth
Moose
Giambi
Damon
Abreu
Pettitte

Hello:
Sabathia
Teixeira
Rafael Furcal- (Jeter moves to LF)
Oliver Perez
Brian Fuentes
Rocco Baldelli

In this situation we're a little more agressive and spend quite a bit more than we're probably willing to. The Jeter position switch is probably not going to happen this soon, but Furcal is a very good option if we were to make the switch and he replaces the traded Damon in the leadoff spot. Sabathia and Teixeira go with out explanation as they're elite FAs that don't come around that often. Perez gives us another young lefty starter with dominating stuff and Ace potential. It also gives us someone to pick up the slack if guys like Kennedy and Horne can't fill that #5 spot. With a lot of the other available FA pitchers he may fly somewhat under the radar if the Met's don't lock him up before FA. Fuentes would be a great left handed setup man. Baldelli, again I just like this move to give us another option in RF. With all that said this scenario would absolutely never happen.

A couple of things:

The Yankees will not be giving out any more 3-year contracts to relievers outside of Rivera. This means guys like Marte and Fuentes will have to take cheaper, shorter deals or the Yankees will be filling their bullpen needs from within.

Sabathia is not worth what it's going to cost, period. He's going to want at least six years at $140 million (what Johan got). At his age and his weight, it's not worth it. Let someone else overpay for the guy.

As you said, Furcal won't be replacing Jeter. If A-Rod didn't move him, Furcal won't.

Baldelli would be a great signing if given an incentives-laden deal.

I'm not too familiar with Perez. What's everyone's opinion of him?

hockeypuck2008
05-03-08, 11:33 PM
I'm OK with all your goodbyes. I don't want any of the FAs. I'd like to see where Bobby is at by the end of the year, if its a good year, I'd offer him a 2 year extension at the max.

spending spending spending on free agents hasn't been the answer. In fact it is what lead to drafting Brien Taylor. More of a PR reaction than anything.

Abe Frohman
05-04-08, 12:54 AM
spending spending spending on free agents hasn't been the answer. In fact it is what lead to drafting Brien Taylor. More of a PR reaction than anything.

Soooo true. we finally unload all those crap contracts that have held us back all these

years only to take on another load of bad ones ? screw that. lets take it easy.

Sabathia is a BAD move IMHO ...

yank4life2005
05-04-08, 08:44 AM
Gone:

Giambi
Mussina
Damon
Farnsworth
Abreu-If he is looking for more than a 2 year guaranteed deal

FA signings:
CC Sabathia
Mark Texeira

Rotation:
Wang
Sabathia
Hughes
Pettite
Chamberlain

Matsui is the DH
Gardner is in CF and batting leadoff
Melky is in LF

yankeeman61
05-04-08, 09:36 AM
Soooo true. we finally unload all those crap contracts that have held us back all these

Who is suggesting taking on bad contracts? Whether or not you like the suggested players is a different matter, but no one is suggesting the Yankees to use Pavano's or Giambi's contract as a guideline for bringing in some key FA. If other teams want to do that, then you walk and go to plan B. The way some of you are reacting it's as if the Yankees should never sign a big FA because they have been burned in the past.

The Yankees are on the right path in keeping their prospects, but if you expect the Yankees to truly compete for a championship in the next 2-3 years I have a tough time thinking all of the youngsters will not only work out, but actually lead the team to the promised land. The current vets on the team are not getting any younger and the pitching staff has inexperience. How can you not strongly consider Sabathia? How long are Pettitte and Mussina going to be around? Do we know what Hughes and Kennedy are going to do?

It's a matter of making good decisions on contract offers. You don't back load long term deals with NT clauses and you don't overpay for guys who have had one good year surrounded by a history of injuries. You go for proven commodities and offer more money with shorter terms. The Yankees can do this because they are the Yankees. If they can find better deals elsewhere then hold your ground and let them go. But there is no way you don't try to improve the team via Free Agency where it makes sense. To me, that means you try to get Sabathia and Tex, at least and you make a strong run at K-Rod and at least talk to Dunn, (who I am not crazy about so you do NOT overpay). In the end if all you get CC & Tex you have improved the team IMO.

primetime714
05-04-08, 01:26 PM
A couple of things:

The Yankees will not be giving out any more 3-year contracts to relievers outside of Rivera. This means guys like Marte and Fuentes will have to take cheaper, shorter deals or the Yankees will be filling their bullpen needs from within.

Sabathia is not worth what it's going to cost, period. He's going to want at least six years at $140 million (what Johan got). At his age and his weight, it's not worth it. Let someone else overpay for the guy.

As you said, Furcal won't be replacing Jeter. If A-Rod didn't move him, Furcal won't.

First off if you want any decent relievers you need to offer at least a 3 year deal. Mo would've gotten more than a 3 year if he wasn't in his late 30's. A 3 year deal for Marte or Fuentes would not be a bad move.

Sabathia is worth it. Pitchers this good who are sub-30 NEVER hit free agency. Santana was worth the contract he got, but what he wasn't worth was top prospects like Hughes, Kennedy, and Melky AND the contract. If we have an opportunity to get Sabathia we'd be fools to pass this up.

I agree Furcal isn't going to happen. However Jeter is going to have to move from SS at some point and Furcal may be one of the best FAs that hits the market in the next few years. Still I agree there is no chance of this happening, however its something I wouldn't be completely opposed to.

Perez came up to the majors at a young age and quickly earned comparisons to Randy Johnson with his dominating stuff. He's struggled with some inconsistency, but really put things together again last year with the Mets. He strikes out more than a batter an inning over his career (873 K's in 834.1 IP) and he is only 27. I think the Met's will re-sign him during the year, but if the don't he makes an intriguing option.

ppa79
05-04-08, 01:37 PM
CC and Tex.

Both nothing crazy. I'm willing to walk away if the price is not right

27IsNext
05-04-08, 01:52 PM
First off if you want any decent relievers you need to offer at least a 3 year deal. Mo would've gotten more than a 3 year if he wasn't in his late 30's. A 3 year deal for Marte or Fuentes would not be a bad move.

Sabathia is worth it. Pitchers this good who are sub-30 NEVER hit free agency. Santana was worth the contract he got, but what he wasn't worth was top prospects like Hughes, Kennedy, and Melky AND the contract. If we have an opportunity to get Sabathia we'd be fools to pass this up.

I agree Furcal isn't going to happen. However Jeter is going to have to move from SS at some point and Furcal may be one of the best FAs that hits the market in the next few years. Still I agree there is no chance of this happening, however its something I wouldn't be completely opposed to.

Perez came up to the majors at a young age and quickly earned comparisons to Randy Johnson with his dominating stuff. He's struggled with some inconsistency, but really put things together again last year with the Mets. He strikes out more than a batter an inning over his career (873 K's in 834.1 IP) and he is only 27. I think the Met's will re-sign him during the year, but if the don't he makes an intriguing option.

Relievers that haven't established themselves at elite closers or set-up men tend to fluctuate performance-wise from year to year. Consequently, giving them a three-year deal is a poor decision. We all saw what happened with Farnsworth the past two seasons despite what he did in Atlanta in '05. Marte and Fuentes are also both on the wrong side of 30. I'd rather we just stock up the bullpen with farm system guys.

Santana's fastball is a few ticks slower. Given the alleged history of short lefties who were done around age 30, that can't be a good sign. (I say alleged because I'm not aware of any examples outside of Sandy Koufax, I just know it was brought up quite a bit during the Santana trade rumors.) My problem with C.C. is that I doubt he weighs less than 300 pounds at this point. I don't want to give any long-term contracts out to a guy that big.

Perez sounds interesting. I'd need more opinions though, and I'm weary of giving up a pick to the Mets when I already want the Yankees to yield their '09 first-rounder to the Braves for Teixeira.

primetime714
05-04-08, 01:54 PM
Who is suggesting taking on bad contracts? Whether or not you like the suggested players is a different matter, but no one is suggesting the Yankees to use Pavano's or Giambi's contract as a guideline for bringing in some key FA. If other teams want to do that, then you walk and go to plan B. The way some of you are reacting it's as if the Yankees should never sign a big FA because they have been burned in the past.

The Yankees are on the right path in keeping their prospects, but if you expect the Yankees to truly compete for a championship in the next 2-3 years I have a tough time thinking all of the youngsters will not only work out, but actually lead the team to the promised land. The current vets on the team are not getting any younger and the pitching staff has inexperience. How can you not strongly consider Sabathia? How long are Pettitte and Mussina going to be around? Do we know what Hughes and Kennedy are going to do?

It's a matter of making good decisions on contract offers. You don't back load long term deals with NT clauses and you don't overpay for guys who have had one good year surrounded by a history of injuries. You go for proven commodities and offer more money with shorter terms. The Yankees can do this because they are the Yankees. If they can find better deals elsewhere then hold your ground and let them go. But there is no way you don't try to improve the team via Free Agency where it makes sense. To me, that means you try to get Sabathia and Tex, at least and you make a strong run at K-Rod and at least talk to Dunn, (who I am not crazy about so you do NOT overpay). In the end if all you get CC & Tex you have improved the team IMO.

Agreed. Our main problem in FA has been selection. Its alright to lock a lot of money into guys who are elite talents and should be worth it. Our problem has been investing a lot in average guys, guys that are coming off one good year, guys who are old, injury prone, NL only pitchers, etc.

Teixeira I think is a slam dunk FA. He is young and offensively and defensively he is one of the best players at his position. Simply put he is the best offensive FA to hit the market since Carlos Beltran, a guy we should've signed.

Sabathia. I understand the concerns here. He is overweight and has a lot of innings on his arm. Also longer term deals to pitchers are risky. However he is young, has great stuff, has shown zero signs of decline, and is the best FA pitcher you might see hit the market for a LONG time. If he does hit the market I honestly can't think of a better pitcher under the age of 30 that has hit FA. We need an Ace and a lefty starter to mix in with Wang and our right handed prospects. Sabathia fills that perfectly. Personally I think we'd be fools to let this opportunity pass us by, but I do understand the concerns.

Oh another note on Sabathia is while I understand the concerns, why are people suggesting Burnett and Sheets as alternatives. Both of these guys have great stuff, but both are extremely injury prone. These are the types of guys that have burned us in the past. While you can speculate that problems will occur with Sabathia, you can almost be certain that Burnett and Sheets are going to spend a decent amount of time on the DL in their next contract.

primetime714
05-04-08, 02:18 PM
Relievers that haven't established themselves at elite closers or set-up men tend to fluctuate performance-wise from year to year. Consequently, giving them a three-year deal is a poor decision. We all saw what happened with Farnsworth the past two seasons despite what he did in Atlanta in '05. Marte and Fuentes are also both on the wrong side of 30. I'd rather we just stock up the bullpen with farm system guys.

Santana's fastball is a few ticks slower. Given the alleged history of short lefties who were done around age 30, that can't be a good sign. (I say alleged because I'm not aware of any examples outside of Sandy Koufax, I just know it was brought up quite a bit during the Santana trade rumors.) My problem with C.C. is that I doubt he weighs less than 300 pounds at this point. I don't want to give any long-term contracts out to a guy that big.

Perez sounds interesting. I'd need more opinions though, and I'm weary of giving up a pick to the Mets when I already want the Yankees to yield their '09 first-rounder to the Braves for Teixeira.

Fuentes and Marte have established themselves as at least above average setup man and haven't been very inconsistent throughout their careers consistently putting up good years. Signing one of these guys isn't a Farnworth type of move, these two are proven left handed relievers who have shown this over several years.

I understand the concerns about Sabathia, but unlike Santana we haven't seen any signs of decline yet. His stuff is just as good as ever. He's also been an absolute rock never suffering from injury problems. There are some factors that could lead one to speculate problems in the future, but I don't know that's a strong enough reason not to sign a pitcher with his ability especially when we're in need of an Ace with dominating strikeout stuff and a left handed starter to go along with Wang and all our right handed youngsters.

Also going back to Santana he has been solid this year, but more importantly he has always been a much better pitcher in the second half of the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see his velocity up a few ticks and back where we're used to seeing it as it gets warmer.

hockeypuck2008
05-04-08, 02:31 PM
CC and Tex.

Both nothing crazy. I'm willing to walk away if the price is not right

here is the thing though, both will expect a big dollar contract from the Yankees. A contract above and beyond others. Afterall that has been the Yankees MO for years, why wouldnt these players expect any less?

yankeeman61
05-04-08, 02:48 PM
here is the thing though, both will expect a big dollar contract from the Yankees. A contract above and beyond others. Afterall that has been the Yankees MO for years, why wouldnt these players expect any less?

So, you give them the big dollars, but not the big # of years with zero flexibility by adding a NT clause. If you are going to walk away from elite FA players like this and settle for lesser players because they cost less, then why bother with the FA market at all? The Yankees are not the KC Royals. The big fear everyone had with the Yankees holding on to Hughes was that they would develop and keep their own AND sign elite FA's when they could. If you walk away from the elite FA there is no reason to fear what the Yankees could do and you won't be raising flags any time soon.

hockeypuck2008
05-04-08, 03:08 PM
So, you give them the big dollars, but not the big # of years with zero flexibility by adding a NT clause. If you are going to walk away from elite FA players like this and settle for lesser players because they cost less, then why bother with the FA market at all? The Yankees are not the KC Royals. The big fear everyone had with the Yankees holding on to Hughes was that they would develop and keep their own AND sign elite FA's when they could. If you walk away from the elite FA there is no reason to fear what the Yankees could do and you won't be raising flags any time soon.

both are going to expect long term deals, 5 years or longer. And truth of the matter, I dont blame them. Expect it. The no trade clause, which they WILL ask and the Yankees have given into before, is moot. If the Yankees give either a contract only the Yankees can afford then you might as well give them a NTC because that big contract removes 2/3 of baseball. The remaining teams are either teams the Yankees will never trade with (Mets, Red Sox) or teams that will want the yankees to kick in a significant amount of cash, something the Yankees dont like to do. Now factor if these players can deal with the scrutiny of New York. The relenless press, fans, and the immense pressure that comes with being a Yankee.

27IsNext
05-04-08, 03:09 PM
I'm curious, for those wanting to let Abreu go, who do we replace him with?

yankeeman61
05-04-08, 03:09 PM
Agreed. Our main problem in FA has been selection. Its alright to lock a lot of money into guys who are elite talents and should be worth it. Our problem has been investing a lot in average guys, guys that are coming off one good year, guys who are old, injury prone, NL only pitchers, etc.

Teixeira I think is a slam dunk FA. He is young and offensively and defensively he is one of the best players at his position. Simply put he is the best offensive FA to hit the market since Carlos Beltran, a guy we should've signed.

Sabathia. I understand the concerns here. He is overweight and has a lot of innings on his arm. Also longer term deals to pitchers are risky. However he is young, has great stuff, has shown zero signs of decline, and is the best FA pitcher you might see hit the market for a LONG time. If he does hit the market I honestly can't think of a better pitcher under the age of 30 that has hit FA. We need an Ace and a lefty starter to mix in with Wang and our right handed prospects. Sabathia fills that perfectly. Personally I think we'd be fools to let this opportunity pass us by, but I do understand the concerns.

Oh another note on Sabathia is while I understand the concerns, why are people suggesting Burnett and Sheets as alternatives. Both of these guys have great stuff, but both are extremely injury prone. These are the types of guys that have burned us in the past. While you can speculate that problems will occur with Sabathia, you can almost be certain that Burnett and Sheets are going to spend a decent amount of time on the DL in their next contract.

Yes, this is what I'm talking about. Burnett and Sheets are high risk injury players, so you stay away unless you want to stay in the "talks" to drive the price up. I know people are concerned about CCC's weight, but I would simply point out his durabilty and David Wells. CCC takes the ball and he may have some problems down the road, but he is still young and had tremendous skill, while taking care of his arm. IMO he is far less of a risk than Burnett or Sheets and could be a beast in YS. He's having his problems this year, but as we saw against the Yankees he is still quite capable of shutting down anyone.

ppa79
05-04-08, 03:12 PM
I'm curious, for those wanting to let Abreu go, who do we replace him with?

I'm assuming if you let Abreu go, you replace the offense with Tex (which is then upgraded) and get a Dellucci type outfielder. A stop gap until AJ is ready.

27IsNext
05-04-08, 03:13 PM
I'm assuming if you let Abreu go, you replace the offense with Tex (which is then upgraded) and get a Dellucci type outfielder. A stop gap until AJ is ready.

I'd rather just re-sign Abreu AND sign Teixeira.

yankeeman61
05-04-08, 03:14 PM
both are going to expect long term deals, 5 years or longer. Expect it. The no trade clause, which they have given before, is moot. If the Yankees give either a contract only the Yankees can afford then you might as well give them a NTC because that big contract removes 2/3 of baseball. The remaining teams are either teams the Yankees will never trade with (Mets, Red Sox) or teams that will want the yankees to kick in a significant amount of cash, something the Yankees dont like to do.

I would look at a huge signing bonus. When you think of the $26 Million the Yanks dropped for Igawa (albeit not counting toward payroll), why not offer a bonus, a 3-year guaranteed plus an option year? Maybe the Yankees won't want to set that prescedent, but they should be thinking about doing some things differently instead of repeating past mistakes. Like I said, if the players want the years, let them walk.

ppa79
05-04-08, 03:15 PM

If we could get Abreu for 1 year, I would do it too, but I have a feeling he would want a minimum of 3 years.

hockeypuck2008
05-04-08, 03:21 PM
I would look at a huge signing bonus. When you think of the $26 Million the Yanks dropped for Igawa (albeit not counting toward payroll), why not offer a bonus, a 3-year guaranteed plus an option year? Maybe the Yankees won't want to set that prescedent, but they should be thinking about doing some things differently instead of repeating past mistakes. Like I said, if the players want the years, let them walk.

but the prescedent has already been set. Zito, Hampton, Santana, Helton, Damon.

27IsNext
05-04-08, 04:33 PM
If we could get Abreu for 1 year, I would do it too, but I have a feeling he would want a minimum of 3 years.

I have no problem with three years if it's for $7 to $10 million per (depending on the type of season he has this year) without a NTC.

Bologma!
05-04-08, 04:43 PM
If it wasn't for Abreu and Matsui I dont even think we would be above .500 this year

This is a silly way to make roster decisions. First off, Abreu is below his career norms again this year after falling far short last year. Matsui has done well but I doubt he's going to have a career year at age 34 and then defy expectations by matching his career 850 OPS next year as a 35yr old. And he doesn't play defense so he's already lost lots of value there.

R.V.47
05-04-08, 04:47 PM
?

Abreu is below his career norms again this year after falling far short last year. Matsui has done well but I doubt he's going to have a career year at age 34.

Abreu is hitting 419 with RISP on a team that is at the bottom the league in that category. I think he deserves some credit for that. Matsui is usually quick out the gates and then tends to slow down but I think he is well on his way to another 100 RBI 20+ HR year which we have come to expect from him. I dont think he will have a career year but there really cant be any complaints with how he has hit this year.

cajunyankee
05-04-08, 04:58 PM
I'm supporting Hank on whomever he directs Cash to sign.

Bologma!
05-04-08, 05:07 PM
Abreu is hitting 419 with RISP on a team that is at the bottom the league in that category. I think he deserves some credit for that. Matsui is usually quick out the gates and then tends to slow down but I think he is well on his way to another 100 RBI 20+ HR year which we have come to expect from him. I dont think he will have a career year but there really cant be any complaints with how he has hit this year.

I didn't complain about how he was hitting this year, just that the team is better off trading him and putting his salary towards Tex, since the guy actually plays a position quite well. Plus, at his age I'd imagine he's likely to regress, while Tex will maintain his production.

Ditto with Abreu. 419 with RISP 30 games into the season. Who cares? His numbers are down overall one year removed from a season in which they were off too. And he's not taking a two year deal.

4bronxbombers
05-04-08, 05:15 PM

Me too. :lol:

apalradio
05-04-08, 06:16 PM
Ditto with Abreu. 419 with RISP 30 games into the season. Who cares? His numbers are down overall one year removed from a season in which they were off too. And he's not taking a two year deal.Wow, tough crowd. Giambi seems to have lots of defenders even though he's hitting .080 with RISP. Now we find out that Abreu's RISP average is .419 and "who cares"? What exactly are we looking for here?

Bologma!
05-04-08, 06:31 PM
Wow, tough crowd. Giambi seems to have lots of defenders even though he's hitting .080 with RISP. Now we find out that Abreu's RISP average is .419 and "who cares"? What exactly are we looking for here?

My point isn't that it's bad, it's that it's a terrible stat to use to argue for re-signing him when he hasn't been all that good overall.

b-ball-lunachick
05-04-08, 11:01 PM
please tell me this is my last year of suffering through Giambi as a Yankee.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-05-08, 10:27 AM
I agree with those who don't want big contracts to relievers, but I would compensate Raphael Soriano handsomely if he were to come here.

primetime714
05-05-08, 10:39 AM
Wow, tough crowd. Giambi seems to have lots of defenders even though he's hitting .080 with RISP. Now we find out that Abreu's RISP average is .419 and "who cares"? What exactly are we looking for here?

People are defending Giambi?? I think he'll play better than he has only because he can't play much worse, but I'll be pysched to get rid of his contract this offseason.

As for Abreu I'm operating under the assumption that if we let him go we'll be able to sign both Teixeira and Sabathia both of whom I'd rather have than Abreu. If we can sign those two AND Abreu I'd be fine with bringing him back on a short term deal (no more than 2 years). However more than likely Abreu will leave for a better deal.

ArodMVP217
05-05-08, 10:42 AM
Goodbye

Pavano (thank god)
Giambi
Traber
Betemit
Hawkins

Hello, FA's

Texiera
Pat Burrell
Brad Lidge

wouldn't it have to be Teixeira/Burrell or do you want a really expensive bench player?

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-05-08, 10:49 AM
I have no problem with three years if it's for $7 to $10 million per (depending on the type of season he has this year) without a NTC.

He wouldn't sign a 7-10 mil per contract if you put a gun to his head.

In Mo I Trust
05-05-08, 11:55 AM
Gone:
Pavano
Giambi
Moose
Farnsworth
Hawkins
Abreu (take the picks)
Damon or Matsui (trade one)

Re-sign:
Andy

FA:
Dunn
Tex
Possibly one of Sheets/Burnett/CC depending on how the kids look at the end of the year and how the FA pitching market develops.

Ynkcpt23
05-05-08, 11:56 AM
A couple of things:

Great post. I agree with you, esp. re: Sabathia. The Santana contract and the Zito contract have made his agent salivate I'm sure. He's young enough to think about the possibility but I think that the $$ will eliminate him from consideration. Plus he's freaking huge...

I love your line (the one I put in bold)--that really says it all!!

THEBOSS84
05-05-08, 11:58 AM
What's with all the Dunn love? I hope this guy never sniffs a contract with us. He would be so hated here, so quickly.

ArodMVP217
05-05-08, 12:01 PM
let's give it a try

Good-Bye:
Pavano- 10M
Farnsworth- 5.5M
Moose- 11M
Hawkins- 4M
Petitte- 16M
Damon- 11 M although i doubt anyone will give us proper value for him; 11M is reasonable in today's market
Betemit- 4M?

oh Herro:
Cy Cy Sabathia: 6/117mil; i don't understand how people can say he is an injury risk, then want to sign sheets/burnett. market for them is 4 yrs min/15per

Mark T.: switch hitter; power to all fields and gold glove first baseman; sign me up

Abreu: offer 2 yrs/28.5mil big bonus and a team option for 13mil, no negotiating. If he declines: welcome back Juan Rivera

rafael soriano might be on the cheap, years-wise at least; has elbow tendinitis. relievers a re a tricky animal. I am partial to damaso marte over fuentes. and i think k-rod would care more for money than his role, personally; he wanted 10 million this yr. next yr he'll want more in free agency; no thanks

Rotation:
Wang
Sabathia
Huges
Chamberlain
Kennedy/McCutheon/FA?

Lineup:
Melky Cabrera CF
Jeter SS
Abreu RF
Alejandro Rodriguez 3B
Mark Teixeira 1B
Hideki Matsui DH
Robinson Cano 2B
Jorge Posada C
Brett Gardner/Ajax LF

Gardner/Jackson
Agonz
Molina
XXXX

Bullpen:
Mo
Bruney
Soriano/Marte
Albaladejo
Sanchez/Ohlendorf
Melancon/Ohlendorf

Bologma!
05-05-08, 12:06 PM
Why all the Betemit hate? His playing time was wildly inconsistent under Torre and he barely got a chance this year while suffering an eye injury.

THEBOSS84
05-05-08, 12:06 PM
Why all the Betemit hate? His playing time was wildly inconsistent under Torre and he barely got a chance this year while suffering an eye injury.

I guess the hate comes from having nothing to like about him yet.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-05-08, 12:17 PM
When Betemit comes back he'll basically be starting at third until A-Rod comes back (Ensberg/Gonzalez will get some starts against lefties). I see this as his last chance kinda. I've been a bigger fan of his than most because I think he's a very good defensive first baseman and left handed hitter, but he seemed out of shape early in the year and has basically no role once A-Rod comes back (assuming Giambi starts to hit).

gdn
05-05-08, 12:33 PM
Wow, is it December already?

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-05-08, 12:52 PM
What's with all the Dunn love? I hope this guy never sniffs a contract with us. He would be so hated here, so quickly.

I really hope they stay away from him, he has the body type that would decline very quickly, not to mention he is currently atrocious in the field and on the basepaths.

JOBA RULES
05-05-08, 12:54 PM

agreed...NO NO on C.C.

Bologma!
05-05-08, 12:54 PM
When Betemit comes back he'll basically be starting at third until A-Rod comes back (Ensberg/Gonzalez will get some starts against lefties). I see this as his last chance kinda. I've been a bigger fan of his than most because I think he's a very good defensive first baseman and left handed hitter, but he seemed out of shape early in the year and has basically no role once A-Rod comes back (assuming Giambi starts to hit).

Not sure what role you had in mind for him, but he's our backup infielder and plays all four positions. I also thought it was reported that he had dropped a bunch of weight in the off-season and was in better shape? Either way, he plays fine defense at every position except SS, where he's passable. Not sure why it's his "last chance" or people want to see him gone next year when the player he replaced was Miguel Freaking Cairo. Some perspective is needed.

27IsNext
05-05-08, 01:09 PM
He wouldn't sign a 7-10 mil per contract if you put a gun to his head.

Fine, $13 million per for three years. He'd stay for that.

THEBOSS84
05-05-08, 01:12 PM
I absolutely DO NOT want Abreu on the 2009 Yankees. Unless it's a one year deal which obviously wouldn't happen. I don't want us to get screwed like we did with Posada coming off a career year.

27IsNext
05-05-08, 01:15 PM
I absolutely DO NOT want Abreu on the 2009 Yankees. Unless it's a one year deal which obviously wouldn't happen. I don't want us to get screwed like we did with Posada coming off a career year.

That's fine, but who replaces him?

Bologma!
05-05-08, 01:16 PM

I can't see Abreu getting less than 4 years and at a high salary ta boot. Tex for 5 or 6 years would be a safer bet to be productive on both sides of the ball.

27IsNext
05-05-08, 01:23 PM
I can't see Abreu getting less than 4 years and at a high salary ta boot. Tex for 5 or 6 years would be a safer bet to be productive on both sides of the ball.

No one is going to give Abreu four years at the kind of money your thinking of when Bobby's going to be 35 next season.

Bologma!
05-05-08, 01:26 PM
No one is going to give Abreu four years at the kind of money your thinking of when Bobby's going to be 35 next season.

And for how long are you suggesting we sign him for?

27IsNext
05-05-08, 01:29 PM
And for how long are you suggesting we sign him for?

Three, minus a NTC. That way, we still get decent production from him, and if one or more of the kids pan out, he's tradable.

Bologma!
05-05-08, 01:33 PM
Three, minus a NTC. That way, we still get decent production from him, and if one or more of the kids pan out, he's tradable.

And for how much money?

I'd rather get better procuction from an above average fielding 1B than less from a below average RFer.

27IsNext
05-05-08, 01:38 PM
And for how much money?

I'd rather get better procuction from an above average fielding 1B than less from a below average RFer.

$13 million per.

I'd like to sign Teixeira as well. I just REALLY don't like the options outside of Abreu in right.

Bologma!
05-05-08, 01:46 PM
$13 million per.

I'd like to sign Teixeira as well. I just REALLY don't like the options outside of Abreu in right.

Well then, I have no problem with the Yankees spending their money. :D

If we were picking one or the other, I'd take Tex. I don't think it's necessary to have a name player at every position. And I'm quite tired of this team being choc full of aging players that can no longer play their position. In that regard I wouldn't mind seeing Abreu walk either way.

DaSh 1s
05-05-08, 02:44 PM
Abreu has been amazing for us the past three years. I dont understand why we are low balling me. Do you really think AJax and Tabata can immediately put up the sucess he has had in his career? Why not pay him the money for 3-4 years and give Tabata and AJax the extra four years to improve and it will be much worth it. Didnt the the 21 year old Phil Hughes show you what growing pains can look like. Imagine if A Jax comes up and repeats the April Cano had?? Id rather pay Abreu now than avoid that kind of disaster

Bologma!
05-05-08, 02:50 PM
Abreu has been amazing for us the past three years. I dont understand why we are low balling me. Do you really think AJax and Tabata can immediately put up the sucess he has had in his career? Why not pay him the money for 3-4 years and give Tabata and AJax the extra four years to improve and it will be much worth it. Didnt the the 21 year old Phil Hughes show you what growing pains can look like. Imagine if A Jax comes up and repeats the April Cano had?? Id rather pay Abreu now than avoid that kind of disaster

He hasn't been here for three years, or even two. And he hasn't been amazing either.

DaSh 1s
05-05-08, 03:00 PM
In the:
06 he played 58 games while hitting .330 7 Hrs 42 Rbis
07 he played 158 games ..... .283 16 101 and 25 SB
currently 32 games .306 4 21

I did not mean to say three years ... but the three different seasons in which he participated in our lineup, I just dont expect Tabata or Jackson to produce those numbers right out of the gate. I just really dont. Everyone thought Hughes was going to dominant this year and it was far from it. I really think expectations are to high for them. I mean look at Cano he was leading all major leaguers with H/AB at one point and of all a sudden he thinks he is playing soccer. I would just rather spend the money now and to avoid a trainwreck. What happens if either one of these players dont immediately perform? Who is our stop gap for them? Pay Abreu to be the stop gap and slowly get them ready. Give them at bats instead of tossing them into the starting RF CF role. Its ridiculous IMHO

Bologma!
05-05-08, 03:48 PM
He's no lock to hit that well at 37 and 38 when his numbers have already fallen off from his days in Philadelphia. And he looks like garbage in the field. This isn't about expecting Jackson or Tabata to step in and produce like him *right now*, it's about making smart business decisions. Letting him walk outright might be a smart move by itself. Earmarking the money for a younger player and taking the two picks is definitely the right move.

BRNXBMRS
05-05-08, 03:57 PM

I dont know why a lot of people are ready to sign a soon to be 35 y/o RF to a long term deal.

BRNXBMRS
05-05-08, 03:58 PM
He's no lock to hit that well at 37 and 38 when his numbers have already fallen off from his days in Philadelphia. And he looks like garbage in the field. This isn't about expecting Jackson or Tabata to step in and produce like him *right now*, it's about making smart business decisions. Letting him walk outright might be a smart move by itself. Earmarking the money for a younger player and taking the two picks is definitely the right move.

Philly was a hitters ballpark

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-05-08, 04:02 PM
Fine, $13 million per for three years. He'd stay for that.

You definitely have to see where he is at by the end of the season, but I don't think I'd be willing to go three years. Two years at the max.

Bologma!
05-05-08, 04:11 PM
Philly was a hitters ballpark

OPS+ adjusts for ball park.

27IsNext
05-05-08, 04:16 PM

Not if there's nothing better out there on the free agent market to sign, which after this season, there isn't. (Unless you're willing to shell out big bucks for Vlad at age 32.) A three-year deal without a NTC isn't "long-term," IMO. Giving six years to Teixeira is what I'd call "long term."

Ynkcpt23
05-05-08, 04:26 PM

I agree. W/O Abreu who plays right? I think that (assuming he has a productive year) that we keep Abreu and kick Giambi and his expiring contract out the door. I know his age makes him a question mark beyond two years, I just don't know of anybody available to replace him--don't think any of our young OF's (besides Gardner???) are past AA yet.

Bologma!
05-05-08, 04:30 PM
Why do we need a name player at every position?

Ynkcpt23
05-05-08, 04:32 PM
$13 million per.

I'm with you--signing Abreu gives us the added benefit of taking it slowly with Jackson, etc. does anybody have an OF in mind that we could sign as a FA to replace him? I think Tex is a no-brainer, I am leery about giving $$$ to CC. Somebody mentioned Wells as a stocky guy with a long career and that is true, but I would really like to see this guy lose about 25 lbs. He's a back problem waiting to happen.

primetime714
05-05-08, 06:00 PM
I really hope they stay away from him, he has the body type that would decline very quickly, not to mention he is currently atrocious in the field and on the basepaths.

Agreed despite the fact that he'd hit a ton of HR's here, we really don't need another DH and that's really all he is (awful in LF and even worse at 1B). Shouldn't even be considered especially since we probably won't have an opening in LF or DH and I doubt he could move to RF, even with the short porch in YS.

primetime714
05-05-08, 06:09 PM
agreed...NO NO on C.C.

Why??? I understand that people have concerns about C.C. but he is by far the best and most reliable pitching option out there. The next best FA pitchers are Sheets and Burnett who are on the DL more often than they are not. Sabathia pitches 200+ innings every year and wins Cy Youngs, but he is overweight so he can't possibly mantain that success? Tell that to Boomer Wells.

Oh and if we don't sign a marquee starting pitcher we could really be in trouble as we may only have Wang and the kids with Moose gone and Pettitte probably retiring.

If our rotation next year is:
Wang
Joba
Hughes
Kennedy
Horne

We could be in trouble as Wang is the only guy that you can lean on. Joba and Hughes will both definitely be on innings limits. Kennedy still needs to rebound from his current struggles and Horne hasn't even seen the majors.

With that in mind why would you pass up the opportunity to get a 200+ inning Cy Young candidate under the age of 30 and a left hander no less???

If Sabathia hits the market, the Yankees would be absolute fools to pass on him. If we could keep the number of years lower I'd also have no problem overspending a little to get him. You can speculate that he'll have problems, but the guy has been nothing but a rock throughout his career. He also has amazing stuff and has shown no signs of declining (he struggled a little to start the year, but has everything going once again).

27IsNext
05-05-08, 06:12 PM
If C.C. would take a four-year deal (he won't), I'd be okay with signing him.

primetime714
05-05-08, 06:18 PM
In the:
06 he played 58 games while hitting .330 7 Hrs 42 Rbis
07 he played 158 games ..... .283 16 101 and 25 SB
currently 32 games .306 4 21

I did not mean to say three years ... but the three different seasons in which he participated in our lineup, I just dont expect Tabata or Jackson to produce those numbers right out of the gate. I just really dont. Everyone thought Hughes was going to dominant this year and it was far from it. I really think expectations are to high for them. I mean look at Cano he was leading all major leaguers with H/AB at one point and of all a sudden he thinks he is playing soccer. I would just rather spend the money now and to avoid a trainwreck. What happens if either one of these players dont immediately perform? Who is our stop gap for them? Pay Abreu to be the stop gap and slowly get them ready. Give them at bats instead of tossing them into the starting RF CF role. Its ridiculous IMHO

I'd rather sign Teixeira to replace Abreu's offensive production and sign a stop gap RF to compete with Shelly Duncan and maybe Brett Gardner for playing time.

If Jackson and/or Tabata don't pan out well then next year we sign Vlad Guerrero with the money that comes off the books for Damon and Matsui.

Jackson and Tabata will still have ample time in the minor leagues if they need it. With Shelly, Gardner, and a stop gap FA manning down the spot next year. If one of them is ready sooner though we won't have a veteran like Abreu blocking the way.

I'd be fine with bringing Abreu back on 1 year or maybe even a 2 year deal, but the problem is he is going to want a 3-year deal and someone is going to give it to him. a 3-year deal is just too long with the OF prospects we have and the money would be better served at 1B by signing Teixeira.

yankeeman61
05-05-08, 07:46 PM
Why do we need a name player at every position?

Name players who are legitimately good are OK. No more stupid contracts to name players like Pavano or Giambi.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-05-08, 07:50 PM
Not sure what role you had in mind for him, but he's our backup infielder and plays all four positions. I also thought it was reported that he had dropped a bunch of weight in the off-season and was in better shape? Either way, he plays fine defense at every position except SS, where he's passable. Not sure why it's his "last chance" or people want to see him gone next year when the player he replaced was Miguel Freaking Cairo. Some perspective is needed.You are preaching to the choir as far as his worth. To me, since Gonzales is better defensively than he is at every position except 1B, he is worth more to this team as trade bait than as a backup lefty first baseman on a team with Jason Giambi on it. Right now with A-Rod out and Giambi struggling he can play his way into a more prominent role. Thats not to say I want him traded, this is a guy that has hit .277, .355, .486 with 31 homers, 80 walks and 100 RBI in a full seasons worth of ABs as a left handed hitter over the past three years. Thats a bat that will play at every position. Some Yankee fans may be able to ignore that, but GMs around the league won't. Unless he plays Giambi to the bench while A-Rod is out, I think he will be traded.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-05-08, 08:07 PM
Why do we need a name player at every position?If you can find a player with no name I would LOVE to have him on the Yankees. Jim Abbott was one of my favorite players because he had no right hand. I can't even fathom how cool a player with no name would be.

yankeeman61
05-05-08, 08:09 PM
If you can find a player with no name I would LOVE to have him on the Yankees. Jim Abbott was one of my favorite players because he had no right hand. I can't even fathom how cool a player with no name would be.

:lol: I wonder if I had my name changed to have no name.....would I be able to get one of those handicapped signs to hang from my rear view mirror?

Bologma!
05-05-08, 10:07 PM
Name players who are legitimately good are OK. No more stupid contracts to name players like Pavano or Giambi.

There's no guarantee that Abreu will be all that good in 2, 3, or 4 years considering that he's already regressed with the bat and in the field.

Bologma!
05-05-08, 10:15 PM
You are preaching to the choir as far as his worth. To me, since Gonzales is better defensively than he is at every position except 1B, he is worth more to this team as trade bait than as a backup lefty first baseman on a team with Jason Giambi on it. Right now with A-Rod out and Giambi struggling he can play his way into a more prominent role. Thats not to say I want him traded, this is a guy that has hit .277, .355, .486 with 31 homers, 80 walks and 100 RBI in a full seasons worth of ABs as a left handed hitter over the past three years. Thats a bat that will play at every position. Some Yankee fans may be able to ignore that, but GMs around the league won't. Unless he plays Giambi to the bench while A-Rod is out, I think he will be traded.

I don't get it. Gonzalez is better than Betemit defensively for sure, but he has no bat. None. What can we get for Betemit that could have the potential to be more valuable to the team than what Betemit is right now?

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-05-08, 11:41 PM
I don't get it. Gonzalez is better than Betemit defensively for sure, but he has no bat. None. What can we get for Betemit that could have the potential to be more valuable to the team than what Betemit is right now?My train of thought is who is Betemit ever going to pinch hit for on this team? For that matter, who other than Giambi is he going to replace defensively on this team? On this team he is basically a defensive replacement at first base and an injury insurance policy/spot starter. I assume Girardi would be better at getting him into the lineup than Torre would have been, but I still don't see him playing as much as he did in ATL and LA. If Betemit can be traded for say a Damaso Marte type or another decent lefty reliever, I think the Yankees would take that + Gonzales as the utility guy over Betemit. I'm actually a big fan of Betemits. This is just how I think things may end up.

yankeeman61
05-06-08, 07:46 AM
There's no guarantee that Abreu will be all that good in 2, 3, or 4 years considering that he's already regressed with the bat and in the field.

If the Yankees were smart they would extend him 2 years right now. That's if they want to keep him around. If you don't want Abreu, who are you replacing him with?

BTW I don't see how he has declined as a hitter. If you mean less HR, it's not like he hit a ton anyway. I don't consider an off year by Abreu's standards in '07 a regression. He is right on pace for what he normally does. Also there is no guarantee as to what his replacement might do.

yankeeman61
05-06-08, 07:53 AM
My train of thought is who is Betemit ever going to pinch hit for on this team? For that matter, who other than Giambi is he going to replace defensively on this team? On this team he is basically a defensive replacement at first base and an injury insurance policy/spot starter. I assume Girardi would be better at getting him into the lineup than Torre would have been, but I still don't see him playing as much as he did in ATL and LA. If Betemit can be traded for say a Damaso Marte type or another decent lefty reliever, I think the Yankees would take that + Gonzales as the utility guy over Betemit. I'm actually a big fan of Betemits. This is just how I think things may end up.

I'm all for Betemit and Duncan platooning at 1B, but you know what that means Benny! :lol:

Seriously, he is being wasted for the reasons you cited. He really doesn't fit into the plan. He'll play 3B until ARod comes back, but what then? After this year the Yankees will be getting a new 1B stud (hopefully) so it becomes the same situation.

BRNXBMRS
05-06-08, 08:36 AM

So thats why it makes perfect sense to sign him to a long term. Boston was in the same situation with Damon, except he was 32. Abreu is on the decline let him walk.

Bologma!
05-06-08, 11:44 AM
My train of thought is who is Betemit ever going to pinch hit for on this team? For that matter, who other than Giambi is he going to replace defensively on this team? On this team he is basically a defensive replacement at first base and an injury insurance policy/spot starter. I assume Girardi would be better at getting him into the lineup than Torre would have been, but I still don't see him playing as much as he did in ATL and LA. If Betemit can be traded for say a Damaso Marte type or another decent lefty reliever, I think the Yankees would take that + Gonzales as the utility guy over Betemit. I'm actually a big fan of Betemits. This is just how I think things may end up.

Is Gonzalez going to be the defensive replacement for anyone on this team? I don't see them pulling Cano, Jeter, or A-Rod for him. Before Betemit went to the DL he was backing up all four infield positions so his role is bigger than that of Giambi's defensive replacement. And considering how poorly Giambi has done and the fact that A-Rod is injured he might be extremely valuable to us as a player who can start at either of those positions and be productive. If the crux of your argument is that he should be traded for Marte then I think it's a pipe dream.

Bologma!
05-06-08, 12:01 PM
If the Yankees were smart they would extend him 2 years right now. That's if they want to keep him around. If you don't want Abreu, who are you replacing him with?

BTW I don't see how he has declined as a hitter. If you mean less HR, it's not like he hit a ton anyway. I don't consider an off year by Abreu's standards in '07 a regression. He is right on pace for what he normally does. Also there is no guarantee as to what his replacement might do.

Interesting concept I'd be in favor of though I don't think Cash is going to do it, and even then I'm sure Abreu would take the chance of playing out the season for a longer deal.

Regarding him regressing, here are his numbers (year/age/ops+):

1998 24 136
1999 25 146
2000 26 143
2001 27 141
2002 28 151
2003 29 136
2004 30 145
2005 31 126
2006 32 126
2007 33 114
2008 34 125? (through 32 games)

His previous 3 years have been signigacantly less productive than he had been and he looks worse defensively. If I were a betting man I'd bet he'll continute to regress even further since he'll be 35 next year.

yankeeman61
05-06-08, 03:45 PM
Interesting concept I'd be in favor of though I don't think Cash is going to do it, and even then I'm sure Abreu would take the chance of playing out the season for a longer deal.

Regarding him regressing, here are his numbers (year/age/ops+):

1998 24 136
1999 25 146
2000 26 143
2001 27 141
2002 28 151
2003 29 136
2004 30 145
2005 31 126
2006 32 126
2007 33 114
2008 34 125? (through 32 games)

His previous 3 years have been signigacantly less productive than he had been and he looks worse defensively. If I were a betting man I'd bet he'll continute to regress even further since he'll be 35 next year.

Unfortunately the extension concept is not something the Yankees have followed and it has cost them (i.e. Posada). Regarding Bobby's decline, it appears that he has only gone backward from his best seasons. He is not on the same level as an ARod or Pujols but he is still pretty consistent and good and I would still like to know who you would plan to replace him with that will at least produce what he does. IMO he has never been that great defensively and he really hasn't lost anything speed/range-wise. In 2 years I highly doubt AJax will produce like Abreu at the ML level.

Bologma!
05-06-08, 04:36 PM
Regarding Bobby's decline, it appears that he has only gone backward from his best seasons. He is not on the same level as an ARod or Pujols but he is still pretty consistent and good and I would still like to know who you would plan to replace him with that will at least produce what he does. IMO he has never been that great defensively and he really hasn't lost anything speed/range-wise. In 2 years I highly doubt AJax will produce like Abreu at the ML level.

I don't know what A-Rod or Pujols has to do with Bobby since not many people are on their level. The fact is that Bobby is going backwards relative to his own performance and it's fair to question his value to a team in 3 and 4 years (and I'd imagine he'd be asking for 4 years for his final big pay day) as his regression continues. How do you replace his production? It doesn't have to come from RF. I would sign Teixiera who is not only superior with the bat and an above average defender, but also at a much more desirable point along his career arc. Signing and retaining older players has made the roster inflexible and hurt us with diminished production.

27IsNext
05-06-08, 08:28 PM
I don't know what A-Rod or Pujols has to do with Bobby since not many people are on their level. The fact is that Bobby is going backwards relative to his own performance and it's fair to question his value to a team in 3 and 4 years (and I'd imagine he'd be asking for 4 years for his final big pay day) as his regression continues. How do you replace his production? It doesn't have to come from RF. I would sign Teixiera who is not only superior with the bat and an above average defender, but also at a much more desirable point along his career arc. Signing and retaining older players has made the roster inflexible and hurt us with diminished production.

Again, that's all fine and dandy, but who replaces his production in right?

Bologma!
05-06-08, 08:33 PM
Again, that's all fine and dandy, but who replaces his production in right?

Ummm... Teixeira.... again.

Why does the production have to come from right? I don't understand why the logic is so difficult to understand.

27IsNext
05-06-08, 08:41 PM
Ummm... Teixeira.... again.

Why does the production have to come from right? I don't understand why the logic is so difficult to understand.

What I'm saying is, I don't want to sign some light-hitting right fielder with a slugging percentage of barely .400. I actually want a good player in right. It doesn't have to be Abreu, but he has to be able to hit.

Bologma!
05-06-08, 08:50 PM
What I'm saying is, I don't want to sign some light-hitting right fielder with a slugging percentage of barely .400. I actually want a good player in right. It doesn't have to be Abreu, but he has to be able to hit.

I'm willing to take a digger in RF if overall our team is better both offensively and defensively, which it would be with Tex. But if you want someone with a slugging percentage over 400 in RF there were 25 RFers who did it last year (min 400 at-bats).

KeithF40
05-07-08, 03:14 AM
Pavano, Giambi, Mussina all gone obv

Hopefully Joba can start starting soon and we can move Mussina to bullpen, I think he could have some success there and I really like him, would like to see him get 4 million to be a good 7th inning guy.

K-Rod def not setting up for anyone, so get someone else.

Trade Damon or Matsui

Get Tex at first

Sign a few bullpen guys and a SP cause this youngster experiment is not sitting well with me at the moment.

I think Matsui garners more interest but they are both AL players, they cannot succeed in the NL at their current contracts. Send them to some anemic offensive teams like Oakland. Matsu is having a good year but just wait for the slump and his BA to settle in at .280 and for him to max out at 20 HRs.

KeithF40
05-07-08, 03:17 AM
Diminished production, do you think Cash has ever heard of this?

Matsui, Damon, Giambi, Johnson, Posada(trust me it's coming), Brown, Clemens.

The thing is they always see what the guy did last year and assume that is what he is going to do on average for the rest of his career. The Clemens signing doesn't really fit here but I just wanted to bring it up cause when they signed him I smashed my head into a brick wall.

BRNXBMRS
05-07-08, 09:03 AM
I think Matsui garners more interest but they are both AL players, they cannot succeed in the NL at their current contracts. Send them to some anemic offensive teams like Oakland. Matsu is having a good year but just wait for the slump and his BA to settle in at .280 and for him to max out at 20 HRs.

Why would Oakland & Billy Beane want to take on Matsui's contraact when they dont bother paying their own players?

Bologma!
05-07-08, 09:55 AM
I think an NL team would be willing to take Matsui.

SINCE77 2
05-07-08, 11:11 AM
Pavano, Giambi, Mussina all gone obv

Hopefully Joba can start starting soon and we can move Mussina to bullpen, I think he could have some success there and I really like him, would like to see him get 4 million to be a good 7th inning guy.

K-Rod def not setting up for anyone, so get someone else.

Trade Damon or Matsui

Get Tex at first

Sign a few bullpen guys and a SP cause this youngster experiment is not sitting well with me at the moment.

Get Tex? Just like that? Have you taken into consideration that he may not wish to come here?

Matsui is a career .297 hitter. His lowest BA was .285 in 2007, which happened to be when his knees were giving out on him. He still hit 25 HR which was the second most on the Yankees. I hope he does leave and join the Angels so they can continue to take 6-9 games from us every season with him in the lineup taking our pitchers gap to gap. Maybe people will know what they had .

Kulish29
05-07-08, 12:34 PM
Derek Lowe

27IsNext
05-07-08, 03:20 PM
Would Raul Ibanez sign a one-year deal to play right next season?

Bologma!
05-07-08, 03:39 PM
Would Raul Ibanez sign a one-year deal to play right next season?

Dunno. Bat looks good. What's his defense like?

THEBOSS84
05-07-08, 04:28 PM
Dunno. Bat looks good. What's his defense like?

From what I've seen, he looks like Matsui out there.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-07-08, 04:45 PM
From what I've seen, he looks like Matsui out there.
He isn't great, but I don't think you are giving him enough credit.

ArodMVP217
05-07-08, 09:47 PM
i'd want Juan Rivera to revitalize his career here in teh bronx, and cashman would probably agree with me, what with his ensberg/lane signings

THEBOSS84
05-08-08, 10:00 AM
I know who will replace Abreu in right field: Derek Jeter...especially if the Yankees don't make the playoffs.

They will move DJ to right, sign Furcal to play short and sign Tex to play 1b.

You heard it here first.

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-08-08, 10:08 AM
I know who will replace Abreu in right field: Derek Jeter...especially if the Yankees don't make the playoffs.

You heard it here first.

If you are going to do that, I'd get AG up at the end of the year and see what kind of player he can be. I think we could lose some hitting at SS, particularly if we picked up Tex for 1B

Bologma!
05-08-08, 10:18 AM

You heard it here first.

Cashman will get a pass from me for life if he pulls that off.

Bologma!
05-08-08, 10:20 AM
If you are going to do that, I'd get AG up at the end of the year and see what kind of player he can be. I think we could lose some hitting at SS, particularly if we picked up Tex for 1B

Even if he hits .200, and I'm sure he'd be somewhere in that area, the defense will make it more palatable.

Ynkcpt23
05-08-08, 10:25 AM
Why would Oakland & Billy Beane want to take on Matsui's contraact when they dont bother paying their own players?

Really good question...

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-08-08, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't touch Furcal with a 50 foot pole.

YASS
05-08-08, 11:01 AM
Seriously? Good range, great arm, speed, quick bat -- what's not to like?

effdamets
05-08-08, 11:05 AM
I'm not a big fan of his either.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-08-08, 11:08 AM

He's not a good hitter, despite his extremely hot start in his contract year. Not to mention various injury concerns.

THEBOSS84
05-08-08, 11:08 AM

He likes hearing "past a diving Jeter"

YASS
05-08-08, 11:09 AM
He's not a good hitter, despite his extremely hot start in his contract year. Not to mention various injury concerns.
You're correct that his hot start is not representative of his bat, but he's right near the 100 mark in OPS+, which is damn good for a shortstop who can make plays.

I'd take him in a heartbeat.

THEBOSS84
05-08-08, 11:10 AM
I'm not a big fan of his either.

Same here, but my overall point was that this is DJ's last year at SS. Everyone asks "if we let Bobby go, who'll play RF" ding ding ding, we have an answer. Furcal is just the obvious replacement since he'll be the best available SS on the market.

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-08-08, 11:10 AM
I just find it hard to imagine we'd sign two big position players in the offseason. Far more likely we'd sign Tex and pitching. Despite the cold start, offense isn't our biggest need, and I think it's been reinforced that that's not the way to win championships.

effdamets
05-08-08, 11:13 AM
Same here, but my overall point was that this is DJ's last year at SS. Everyone asks "if we let Bobby go, who'll play RF" ding ding ding, we have an answer. Furcal is just the obvious replacement since he'll be the best available SS on the market.
I see DJ moving to first moe than moving to the OF.

THEBOSS84
05-08-08, 11:13 AM
I just find it hard to imagine we'd sign two big position players in the offseason. Far more likely we'd sign Tex and pitching. Despite the cold start, offense isn't our biggest need, and I think it's been reinforced that that's not the way to win championships.

I think a defense of DJ in RF and Furcal at SS is such an extreme upgrade of what we are currently throwing out there. Yes DJ never played RF before. I am willing to go out on a limb (hardly) and say that he'd be MUCH better than Abreu.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-08-08, 11:14 AM
You're correct that his hot start is not representative of his bat, but he's right near the 100 mark in OPS+, which is damn good for a shortstop who can make plays.

I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Yeah, he's slightly below it. So was Lugo, you can have him, not worth the picks or the contract. There are good amount of good hitting shortstops in the league, Furcal isn't one of them.

effdamets
05-08-08, 11:16 AM
Yeah, he's slightly below it. So was Lugo, you can have him, not worth the picks or the contract.
I don't know about anyone else but I'd love to see AG as the future shortstop.
Not that I'm dissatisfied with DJ, but I liked what I saw from AG while he played.

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-08-08, 11:17 AM
I think a defense of DJ in RF and Furcal at SS is such an extreme upgrade of what we are currently throwing out there. Yes DJ never played RF before. I am willing to go out on a limb (hardly) and say that he'd be MUCH better than Abreu.

I don't necessarily disagree (although it depends on the length of contract -- we don't want Furcal into his late 30s as a SS), but I just can't see them bringing in two pricey free agents as position players. It would be interesting to see what AG's ceiling is -- I am not sure if he is more than a utility infielder at the end of the day, but our D would be considerably better if he were at SS and Tex at 1B

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-08-08, 11:19 AM
I don't know about anyone else but I'd love to see AG as the future shortstop.
Not that I'm dissatisfied with DJ, but I liked what I saw from AG while he played.

He doesn't hit enough.

THEBOSS84
05-08-08, 11:19 AM
I don't necessarily disagree (although it depends on the length of contract -- we don't want Furcal into his late 30s as a SS), but I just can't see them bringing in two pricey free agents as position players. It would be interesting to see what AG's ceiling is -- I am not sure if he is more than a utility infielder at the end of the day, but our D would be considerably better if he were at SS and Tex at 1B

Yeah I guess you can be right. I just can't stand watching DJ play SS this year. There was a play last night that 99% of the other SS's would have made, but DJ couldn't. I truely believe he will not be a SS after this season.

I can't wait to have the stability of a Tex at 1B

effdamets
05-08-08, 11:20 AM
He doesn't hit enough.
I'll take your word for it because I don't know. I liked his swing, visually.

However, all things considered, I'd much rather have the guy in your CUT....

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-08-08, 11:30 AM

Something about him screams overrated to me.

THEBOSS84
05-08-08, 11:34 AM

Not me. We'd get his prime years. To be honest, I know he won a gold glove, but that award is bogus as we all know. I don't remember how he looks in the field - anyone know if he actually lives up to the good fielder rep he has?

effdamets
05-08-08, 11:36 AM
I'm not enamoured with paying him 20 million for 6 years - which is what Boras will look for.

The Yankees have got to stop handing out sh*t like that...

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-08-08, 11:37 AM
Not me. We'd get his prime years. To be honest, I know he won a gold glove, but that award is bogus as we all know. I don't remember how he looks in the field - anyone know if he actually lives up to the good fielder rep he has?

He is a good fielder.

effdamets
05-08-08, 11:38 AM
He is a good fielder.
So was Malphabet.... And a lot cheaper. :D

THEBOSS84
05-08-08, 11:39 AM
He is a good fielder.

So what exactly is overated about him? Overpriced - yeah I can see that. But having a 1b who has a career 130 OPS+, and is a switch hitting good fielder...something we can use.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-08-08, 11:48 AM
So what exactly is overated about him? Overpriced - yeah I can see that. But having a 1b who has a career 130 OPS+, and is a switch hitting good fielder...something we can use.

Yeah, I know, I don't know, I just don't consider him an elite player, but if we are going to to throw a 6-7 year contract at someone, I suppose it would be a smart play.

yankeebot
05-08-08, 11:58 AM
So was Malphabet.... And a lot cheaper. :D Except 1B is primarily an offensive position.

MTYankee23
05-08-08, 12:05 PM
I'm hoping that the targets of our plan aren't completely known yet because that would mean we're not focusing completely on free agents.

Would be nice to find a couple more Bobby Abreu types via trade this year. Here's hoping that guys like Eric Duncan, Dan McCutchen, Jeff Marquez, etc. start to build some trade value while at the same time earning consideration for roles with the Yankees.

Ynkcpt23
05-08-08, 12:06 PM
Yeah I guess you can be right. I just can't stand watching DJ play SS this year. There was a play last night that 99% of the other SS's would have made, but DJ couldn't. I truely believe he will not be a SS after this season.

Guess you're assuming that the Mets, Mariners, etc. haven't noticed he's going to be a FA? Delgado won't be coming back and neither will Sexson.

THEBOSS84
05-08-08, 12:08 PM
Guess you're assuming that the Mets, Mariners, etc. haven't noticed he's going to be a FA? Delgado won't be coming back and neither will Sexson.

Oh I've noticed. The move makes too much sense NOT to make. The funny part is, by upgrading from Giambi to Tex, we'd actually be SAVING money (unless the bidding gets completely out of hand).

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-08-08, 12:13 PM
Oh I've noticed. The move makes too much sense NOT to make. The funny part is, by upgrading from Giambi to Tex, we'd actually be SAVING money (unless the bidding gets completely out of hand).

We also need to keep in mind that he gets to choose where he wants to go...

THEBOSS84
05-08-08, 12:14 PM

Yeah the place looks something like this....$$$$$$$$$

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-08-08, 12:15 PM
Yeah the place looks something like this....$$$$$$$$$

And that's how you end up with a Giambi contract. Seriously, Cashman will have a limit and the Mets or someone else might exceed it -- I think it is a little early to put Tex on our '09 roster.

effdamets
05-08-08, 12:16 PM
I had heard that Tex wants to play in Baltimore.

yankeebot
05-08-08, 12:19 PM
I had heard that Tex wants to play in Baltimore. He's from Baltimore and he grew up an O's fan. He once said "Baltimore, in the future, it's a place I'd love to look at." It's since taken on a life it's own. Like everyone else that is going after their "big contract," he'll follow the money.

effdamets
05-08-08, 12:21 PM
He's from Baltimore and he grew up an O's fan. He once said "Baltimore, in the future, it's a place I'd love to look at." It's since taken on a life it's own. Like everyone else that is going after their "big contract," he'll follow the money.
Also - Mattingly was his idol....

I am wondering if he can handle NY?

THEBOSS84
05-08-08, 12:21 PM
I had heard that Tex wants to play in Baltimore.

If he goes and signs a big contract with the O's over the Yankees, he's a loser. The O's are in no way going to contend for the next 2-3 years. Unless they offer him 10 years, I can't see him making that bad of a decision.

Tex's sister and brother in law live in NY/NJ

BRNXBMRS
05-08-08, 12:32 PM
I'm hoping that the targets of our plan aren't completely known yet because that would mean we're not focusing completely on free agents.

Would be nice to find a couple more Bobby Abreu types via trade this year. Here's hoping that guys like Eric Duncan, Dan McCutchen, Jeff Marquez, etc. start to build some trade value while at the same time earning consideration for roles with the Yankees.

There is talk that McCutchen can help the Yanks in the pen this year.

MTYankee23
05-08-08, 12:39 PM
There is talk that McCutchen can help the Yanks in the pen this year.

And that would go a long way towards building some value for the offseason. Would be really nice to see guys like Sanchez, Cox, Melancon, and Garcia have strong recoveries from TJ as well. With less sure things making it to free agency these days, would be nice to be able to acquire some via trade without giving up the Joba and Hughes' of the world.

R.V.47
05-08-08, 06:51 PM
If he goes and signs a big contract with the O's over the Yankees, he's a loser. The O's are in no way going to contend for the next 2-3 years. Unless they offer him 10 years, I can't see him making that bad of a decision.

Tex's sister and brother in law live in NY/NJ

Markakis and Tex back to back in a lineup would be pretty formidable, especially if they keep Roberts at the top and if Adam Jones can hit at the top of their lineup as well but I think after some of the horrible big money contracts given out by the Os in past years they might be skeptical in going in that direction. I think the yanks have a great shot at getting Tex and should get him.

dont_ya_know24
05-08-08, 10:08 PM
goodbye

Pavano
Giambi
Moose
traber
hawkins
not necessarily farnsworth (if he's finally figured it out, great. you have to admit, he's pitching well this year)
get rid of either damon or matsui
maybe trade kennedy for some relievers if sabathia is signed

hello

sabathia and teixeira- definites
resign abreu 2 years at max
gardner as the 4th outfielder
resign pettitte, same contract
lineup

LF Damon (assuming not traded)
SS Jeter
RF Abreu
3B Arod
1B Teixeira
2B Cano
C Posada
DH Matsui (assuming not traded)
CF Melky

Rotation
Sabathia
Wang
Pettitte
Hughes
Chamberlain

Pen
Rivera
Lidge
Farnsworth
Ohlendorf
Albaladejo
Edwar
Veras
Bruney
ECT ECT ECT FA ECT FA

big offseason coming up

AMarshal2
05-08-08, 10:26 PM
He'll come off the books in 2012.

BRNXBMRS
05-09-08, 08:41 AM
hello

lineup

This is going to be Abreu last big contract, he isnt going to take two years. WIth Boras as his agent Tex will go to the highest bidder.

primetime714
05-09-08, 09:55 AM

You heard it here first.

Actually I suggested that in my "crazy" (but would never happen scenario) earlier in this thread. Although I didn't have Derek in RF. I had him in LF with Damon being traded. It won't happen, but Furcal maybe the best SS available in FA in the next few years.

primetime714
05-09-08, 10:00 AM
I see DJ moving to first moe than moving to the OF.

If we sign Teixeira nobody is moving to first. Also I've always seen Derek as a natural OF. He plays flyballs so well. He could certainly play 1B, but I think he is best utilized in the OF. We won't move him this offseason, but if there is an adequate replacement the following year when Damon and Matsui come off the books and we may need a LF, Jeter IMO would be the perfect fit.

Blazer
05-09-08, 10:29 AM
He isn't great, but I don't think you are giving him enough credit.

I watch about 50 M's games a year. Ibanez is the Jason Giambi of LF. If not for Manny he's far and away the worst defensive LF in the game. He'll be 37 next year and can still hit so he should wrap up his career at DH.

primetime714
05-09-08, 10:29 AM

Teixeira will cost a lot, but he will be worth it. He's not going to get 10 years 200M like Boras is talking about now. As always you take what Boras says and you knock off at least 30-40% and that's the contract, so 6-7 years at 120-140M tops and you could actually probably get him for less than that. 6 years 120M is a good deal for Teix and hopefully that gets it done.

primetime714
05-09-08, 10:40 AM
goodbye

Pavano
Giambi
Moose
traber
hawkins
not necessarily farnsworth (if he's finally figured it out, great. you have to admit, he's pitching well this year)

hello

lineup

big offseason coming up

That's quite a lot of spending, but it does put us in a good position to win next year. I wouldn't bring Farnsworth back regardless. I like what he is doing thus far this year, but if he has a good year I suspect we let him go and try to recoup some of the picks we're going to lose for Sabathia and Teix.

Some other notes:
-Abreu- doubt he signs a 2year deal, but I'd welcome him back if he did
-Lidge- does he really want to setup? Especially with the pressure of NYC. I think he re-ups with the Phillies. Which is fine by me as I'd rather look internally for right handed setup men and maybe sign a lefty like Marte or Fuentes.
-Kennedy- for some relievers? I think we have enough relievers in minors. Unless we're getting a good young closer I'd keep him.

Overall though I like it. Especially the Sabathia, Teixeira part as I really want us to sign both of them.

BRNXBMRS
05-09-08, 11:00 AM
Signing Teixeira is going to put the Yanks in the same situtaion they are now in with Giambi. Giambi was 30 when the yanks signed him, Teixeira is 29 next year, he is going to clog the payroll in the backend of the deal when hes 36-37 and strictly a DH and everyone will be screaming to get himoff the team. Boras want to start at 10yrs/200. Bad idea.

NYKforever
05-09-08, 12:45 PM
Signing Teixeira is going to put the Yanks in the same situtaion they are now in with Giambi. Giambi was 30 when the yanks signed him, Teixeira is 29 next year, he is going to clog the payroll in the backend of the deal when hes 36-37 and strictly a DH and everyone will be screaming to get himoff the team. Boras want to start at 10yrs/200. Bad idea.

Boras always starts high in his offers as do most agents (he just takes it to another level :P)

Difference between Giambi and Tex is Tex wasn't on the roids (hopefully) and no one expects his body to break down as Giambi's has. Plus, he's a switch hitter and even as he ages, his glove should still be solid. In addition, we don't really have any prospects being blocked by his signing. If we did, Tex wouldn't be such a huge need.

That being said, here's my dream off-season:

Additons:

Texieria
Burnett
Marte
Lidge

Offer Abreu arbitration or 2-year deal max, if he doesn't accept, let him walk and take the picks.

C Posada
1B Texieria
2B Cano
SS Jeter
3B Rodriguez
LF Damon
CF Cabrera
RF Abreu/Jackson
DH Matsui

Bench:

Molina
Duncan
Gardner
Gonzalez

Starting rotation:

Wang
Burnett
Pettitte
Hughes
Chamberlain

Bullpen:

Rivera
Lidge
Bruney
Marte
Ohlendorf
Robertson
Rasner

tclwca
05-09-08, 12:55 PM
goodbye

Pavano
Giambi
Moose
traber
hawkins

hello

lineup

LF Damon (assuming not traded)
SS Jeter
RF Abreu
3B Arod
1B Teixeira
2B Cano
C Posada
DH Matsui (assuming not traded)
CF Melky

Rotation
Sabathia
Wang
Pettitte
Hughes
Chamberlain

Pen
Rivera
Lidge
Farnsworth
Ohlendorf
Albaladejo
Edwar
Veras
Bruney
ECT ECT ECT FA ECT FA

big offseason coming up
Trade IPK......LOL...hE SHOULD BE A TWIN ALREADY....LOVE YO CASH!!!!!!!!!

dan66
05-09-08, 01:45 PM
Before I go ahead and declare Teixeira a Yankee for next season I want to see what Miranda can do! Miranda so far this season is ripping right handed pitching. Yes he is hurt right now but was starting to really pick things up plus he walks more then he K's. Miranda's early slow overall start might be weather related. This is the first time he has ever played in the cold northeast coming from the Cuba.

Also I want to see what Gardner can do? If Brett can continue to score runs at a .8 per game rate then starting him in center next year will be fine with Melky playing right.

The 2 free agents I would like to target are Ben Sheets and Juan Rivera.

Maybe Sheets can be signed for a 3 years and a team option for a 4th. I would even over pay some to have him tradeable after his second season.

Juan Rivera if healthy can put up solid numbers as a right handed outfielder and has 20 homer potential.

Rotation:
Wang
Sheets
Chamberlain
Hughes
Kennedy/Horne/McCutchen

Relievers:
Mo
Ohlendorf
Robertson
JB Cox
Melancon
???? Whelan, Jackson, Patterson, Albie etc
???? Lefty hopefully

Lineup
Gardner CF
Jeter SS
Matsui DH
Arod 3rd
Cano 2nd
Posada C
Rivera LF
Miranda 1st
Melky RF

Bench
Shelley Duncan
Molina/Cervelli
Gonzalez
Betemit

primetime714
05-09-08, 02:25 PM

Not at all. Teixeira is a much better athlete than Giambi, he plays a very good 1B, and he's not a straight up pull hitter that can't hit for average because he is just shooting for HRs. Teixeira is a much more well rounded player. He isn't the offensive force that Giambi was when we signed him, but he is also not likely to break down like Giambi has because he is in better shape and with the improved drug policy I would assume he is not taking roids now and hopefully not ever.

primetime714
05-09-08, 02:27 PM
Trade IPK......LOL...hE SHOULD BE A TWIN ALREADY....LOVE YO CASH!!!!!!!!!

IPK wouldn't have been involved in the deal for Santana unless we were willing to give him and either Hughes or Wang. If we were going to do the deal it probably would've been Hughes, Melky, + with the plus not being Kennedy, but we didn't do the deal because Hughes was taken completely off the table and the only thing the Twins countered with was Kennedy and Wang. Which certainly was not what we were looking for.

primetime714
05-09-08, 02:50 PM
That being said, here's my dream off-season:

Additons:

Texieria
Burnett
Marte
Lidge

Maybe Sheets can be signed for a 3 years and a team option for a 4th. I would even over pay some to have him tradeable after his second season.

Burnett and Sheets? Why do people want these guys? They're the classic examples of injury prone starters bringing their A games in a contract year only to dissapoint the team that signs them. Burnett did it with his last contract he was healthy for a year, cashed in with Toronto and spent about half his time there on the DL. Sheets has been even worse. However both are going to command much more than they're worth on the FA market and both are guys that you can't even count on for 150 innings.

On top of that Burnett hasn't really been that good. In his career his ERA has only been under 4 once and that was his last year in Florida where he posted a 3.98 ERA. People just see him start against the Yankees and think he dominates the rest of the league like that. He does have dominating stuff, but he is also inconsistent with it.

I can see why there might be interest in Sheets as he has dominated when healthy. Albeit in the NL central though. A division that historically has been pretty weak the past few years.

I don't think we should look at Burnett at all and Sheets only if we can't get Sabathia and if he'll sign a shorter term deal (nothing more than 3 years). However that's unlikely.

teknetic
05-09-08, 03:03 PM
If we're not gonna touch Sheets of Burnett then I'm not sure why we'd be going after the near 300 pound lefty (BR has him listed at 250 and I'm calling that a croc of turd) who's gonna want a mega-contract.

THEBOSS84
05-09-08, 03:29 PM
If we're not gonna touch Sheets of Burnett then I'm not sure why we'd be going after the near 300 pound lefty (BR has him listed at 250 and I'm calling that a croc of turd) who's gonna want a mega-contract.

Lefty
One year removed from a Cy Young
NOT injury prone
A near lock for 200 IP with a good-great ERA
Has shown the ability to dominate in the AL

And these reasons are coming from me, a person who DOESN'T want CC

teknetic
05-09-08, 04:13 PM
Lefty
One year removed from a Cy Young
NOT injury prone
A near lock for 200 IP with a good-great ERA
Has shown the ability to dominate in the AL

And these reasons are coming from me, a person who DOESN'T want CC

This is where we disagree. I just don't see that body holding up after cashing in on a bigtime contract.

THEBOSS84
05-09-08, 04:16 PM
This is where we disagree. I just don't see that body holding up after cashing in on a bigtime contract.

I agree with you that I wouldn't trust him to stay in shape with that kind of guaranteed money in front of him, but he hasn't had an injury history like Sheets or Burnett, and until he does, we must consider him NOT injury prone.

27IsNext
05-09-08, 04:18 PM
Offer C.C. a four-year deal, take it or leave it. If he wants more, tell him to find another team. No long-term deals for 300-pound pitchers.

Ynkcpt23
05-09-08, 04:24 PM
I agree with you that I wouldn't trust him to stay in shape with that kind of guaranteed money in front of him, but he hasn't had an injury history like Sheets or Burnett, and until he does, we must consider him NOT injury prone.

I think CC is a toss-up at best. For the reasons pro and con that everybody has mentioned.

Agreeing w/THEBOSS, CC has not been injury prone, despite the extra 75 pounds he carries on that frame...

teknetic
05-09-08, 04:48 PM

He'll be 29 next July (09) so if he's asking for a 5+ year deal..I'd run for the hills. Burnett would probably be a low risk option, if he does opt out.

As for Burnett, I for one reason thought he was relatively "young," but he'll be 32 in August.

Ynkcpt23
05-09-08, 05:05 PM
He'll be 29 next July (09) so if he's asking for a 5+ year deal..I'd run for the hills. Burnett would probably be a low risk option, if he does opt out.

As for Burnett, I for one reason thought he was relatively "young," but he'll be 32 in August.

32 and perpetually on the DL. No thanks, unless we can steal him for less $$.

R.V.47
05-09-08, 05:07 PM
I think CC is a toss-up at best. For the reasons pro and con that everybody has mentioned.

Agreeing w/THEBOSS, CC has not been injury prone, despite the extra 75 pounds he carries on that frame...

True, there have been no injuries thus far for CC but with that frame there has to be a risk that his body will break down around his mid 30's when he will probably be making the largest amounts in his contract.

Ynkcpt23
05-09-08, 05:09 PM
True, there have been no injuries thus far for CC but with that frame there has to be a risk that his body will break down around his mid 30's when he will probably be making the largest amounts in his contract.

Absolutely--which is why we're really only so-so about the thought of spending a truckload of cash for him. Assuming he even wants to leave Cleveland, which I've seen no real evidence of.

R.V.47
05-09-08, 05:12 PM
Absolutely--which is why we're really only so-so about the thought of spending a truckload of cash for him. Assuming he even wants to leave Cleveland, which I've seen no real evidence of.

I think the evidence is that he already turned down a 20 mill a year contract from them coming off a year where his value was at its highest. I still believe though some team will top that amount and he will get the money and years he wants. If Cash is still the GM next year I dont think we make the deal because he will want to stay away from offering that kind of money for a pitcher like he did with Santana. However, if he is gone and Hank is running the show I think he will give in to CC.

27IsNext
05-09-08, 05:13 PM

It's not that we think he's injury-prone, it's that we think there's a chance he could BECOME injury-prone with such a big frame. Plus, I don't want him at five to seven years, which will give us his decline years.

27IsNext
05-09-08, 05:15 PM
I think the evidence is that he already turned down a 20 mill a year contract from them coming off a year where his value was at its highest. I still believe though some team will top that amount and he will get the money and years he wants. If Cash is still the GM next year I dont think we make the deal because he will want to stay away from offering that kind of money for a pitcher like he did with Santana. However, if he is gone and Hank is running the show I think he will give in to CC.

I'm willing to guess that he turned down the Texas money because he didn't want to be stuck playing for a perennial AL bottom-feeder. Consequently, I think he'd take a 6-year, $20 per deal from the Yankees.

primetime714
05-09-08, 08:30 PM

Because his weight is the only thing not to like about him and his game.

primetime714
05-09-08, 08:57 PM
I'm willing to guess that he turned down the Texas money because he didn't want to be stuck playing for a perennial AL bottom-feeder. Consequently, I think he'd take a 6-year, $20 per deal from the Yankees.

Texas money? And perennial AL-Bottom feeder? Are we still talking about Sabathia?

Sabathia has said he loves playing for the Indians. He is holding for at least a 5+ year deal from someone.

I think if we could get Sabathia on a 5-year deal that would be amazing, but if I had to, I'd go to 6 and I think that would get it done. He's only 29. Yes he could break down at the very end of that contract, but so far throughout his career he has been a model of consistency and durability:

-has pitched 180 innings + every year since he was called up as 20 year old
-has started 30 games every year except 1, where he started 28
-since his 3rd year in the league the highest ERA he has posted in a year is 4.12.
-the last two years he has posted an ERA of 3.22

Give the big man some credit. He goes out there and gets the job done every year. And if we want to compete within the next couple years we need some more starting pitching to mix in with Wang and the youngsters. Considering the injury histories of Sheets and Burnett, Sabathia is far and away our best option.

There's always going to be a reason not to want a certain player especially starting pitchers with all the failures we've seen and with Sabathia that is the concerns over his weight. However there are so many more reasons to want this guy on your team. I think we'd be crazy not to take advantage of the one opportunity we'll have to get one a truly elite SP in FA.

There is certainly a risk and if he breaks down towards the end of his contract and we're still paying him a fortune, that sucks. However the reward he provides of giving us a great shot to win a championship in the next few years definitely outweighs that risk IMO.

teknetic
05-09-08, 08:59 PM
Because his weight is the only thing not to like about him and his game.

and again I'm not really sure how you can expect that weight to hold up in the middle/latter part of the contract (IE; year 3 or 4) I'm not doubting his stuff, but I'd rather not wait around and see if it does hold up.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-09-08, 09:04 PM
I watch about 50 M's games a year. Ibanez is the Jason Giambi of LF. If not for Manny he's far and away the worst defensive LF in the game. He'll be 37 next year and can still hit so he should wrap up his career at DH.Fair enough. Thats exactly what I say about Matsui, but I don't watch enough M's games to make that call.

27IsNext
05-09-08, 10:16 PM
Texas money? And perennial AL-Bottom feeder? Are we still talking about Sabathia?

Sabathia has said he loves playing for the Indians. He is holding for at least a 5+ year deal from someone.

I think if we could get Sabathia on a 5-year deal that would be amazing, but if I had to, I'd go to 6 and I think that would get it done. He's only 29. Yes he could break down at the very end of that contract, but so far throughout his career he has been a model of consistency and durability:

-since his 3rd year in the league the highest ERA he has posted in a year is 4.12.

Give the big man some credit. He goes out there and gets the job done every year. And if we want to compete within the next couple years we need some more starting pitching to mix in with Wang and the youngsters. Considering the injury histories of Sheets and Burnett, Sabathia is far and away our best option.

There's always going to be a reason not to want a certain player especially starting pitchers with all the failures we've seen and with Sabathia that is the concerns over his weight. However there are so many more reasons to want this guy on your team. I think we'd be crazy not to take advantage of the one opportunity we'll have to get one a truly elite SP in FA.

There is certainly a risk and if he breaks down towards the end of his contract and we're still paying him a fortune, that sucks. However the reward he provides of giving us a great shot to win a championship in the next few years definitely outweighs that risk IMO.

Teixeira, not Sabathia. Teixeira turned down $20 million per year from the Rangers, which is why they traded him.

YASS
05-09-08, 10:37 PM
Shouldn't you all be asking, "Who do you want/not want on the 2008 Yankees?"

This might be a very active trading deadline this year, and the Yankees are as well positioned as anyone to pull off a deal for a critical part for the second half. There is an excess of very desirable prospects in the Yankee system -- it might be time to put some of them to use.

primetime714
05-09-08, 11:35 PM
Teixeira, not Sabathia. Teixeira turned down $20 million per year from the Rangers, which is why they traded him.

Oh ok my bad.

primetime714
05-10-08, 12:05 AM
and again I'm not really sure how you can expect that weight to hold up in the middle/latter part of the contract (IE; year 3 or 4) I'm not doubting his stuff, but I'd rather not wait around and see if it does hold up.

I can't say that he will or won't hold up. But so many people here talk about it as a sure thing that he won't be able to hold up past the age of 33 which is simply not true. David Wells is still trying to play at age 44 and he's always been hefty and didn't experience that many injury problems.

There's no such thing as a sure thing signing. There's always going to be risks involved. However in Sabathia you're getting an elite pitcher who can be a HUGE factor in the Yankees possibly winning championships in the next couple years.

I REALLY like our young pitching, but let's be real here they're in all likelihood not going to be able to lead us to a championship this early in their careers. Wang is great and is expanding upon his stuff, but even if he can be that regular and postseason "ace" we still really need a solid force atop the rotation to replace Pettitte. Sabathia is the only reliable option available that can do that for us. He's also a lefty something we're very short on in the minors.

I'm completely in favor of being more cautious with our spending. However that means stop signing questionnable pitchers like Pavano and Igawa. If we're going to invest a lot of money in a player it should only be really good players with limited question marks. I throw Sabathia in that column as the only reason to doubt him is his weight which for me is not enough.

I can't say that Sabathia's weight definitely won't come back to bite us in the a$$ if we sign him to the contract he is seeking. Just like you can't say he definitely will break down in about 4 years. However I can say I'll gladly live with sub par years at the end of his contract if he helps us win some championships. Especially when the other pitching options in this year's free agency market are guys that I can say with a fair degree of certainly will end up on the DL at least a decent amount throughout their next contract and are MUCH greater risks than Sabathia albeit at a lower cost though.

cupcollector99
05-10-08, 05:47 AM
has anyone said Igawa yet? I never want to see him again.

apalradio
05-10-08, 11:20 AM
has anyone said Igawa yet? I never want to see him again.I second that. I don't believe there's a point to continuing the Igawa era for one more day.

primetime714
05-10-08, 01:12 PM
has anyone said Igawa yet? I never want to see him again.

Yea I'd be fine with getting rid of him as well, but I don't know that Cashman is willing to swallow his pride on that one and see if he can work a buyout. Igawa has less than zero value on the trading market. I can't see why anyone would take him unless we took on a worse contract in return. That means the only way to get rid of him is to cut our losses and either buyout his contract or cut him. Since we do still have options on him I think more than likely Cashman will just have him rot away in the minors hoping that he'll be able to get something out of him.

We really mishandled the situation this year too. He should've never been called up to make that start against Detroit. His last couple outings in AAA were a little bit shaky and he was going up against probably the best offense in baseball and definitely the best right handed offense.

What we should've done was continue to showcase him in AAA then give him maybe one start against one of the worst offensive clubs and traded him to a team desperate for pitching and willing to take on the remainder of his deal. Either that or trade him off his AAA performance.

Now I doubt we'll be able to even dump any of his salary.

R.V.47
05-10-08, 01:15 PM
Yea I'd be fine with getting rid of him as well, but I don't know that Cashman is willing to swallow his pride on that one and see if he can work a buyout. Igawa has less than zero value on the trading market. I can't see why anyone would take him unless we took on a worse contract in return. That means the only way to get rid of him is to cut our losses and either buyout his contract or cut him. Since we do still have options on him I think more than likely Cashman will just have him rot away in the minors hoping that he'll be able to get something out of him.

We really mishandled the situation this year too. He should've never been called up to make that start against Detroit. His last couple outings in AAA were a little bit shaky and he was going up against probably the best offense in baseball and definitely the best right handed offense.

What we should've done was continue to showcase him in AAA then give him maybe one start against one of the worst offensive clubs and traded him to a team desperate for pitching and willing to take on the remainder of his deal. Either that or trade him off his AAA performance.

Now I doubt we'll be able to even dump any of his salary.

His value will decrease as he continues to make big league starts I agree with you. But lets not forget that there actually a few offers for him last year when he had an ERA in the 7's. Maybe we will get lucky again, I just hope Cash doesnt pass on whatever offer he gets this time.

primetime714
05-11-08, 12:07 AM
His value will decrease as he continues to make big league starts I agree with you. But lets not forget that there actually a few offers for him last year when he had an ERA in the 7's. Maybe we will get lucky again, I just hope Cash doesnt pass on whatever offer he gets this time.

There were offers for Igawa last year because other teams felt they could fix his problems. Seeing the Yankees fail in trying to do just that is going to remove a lot of hope other teams may have had for him. It also puts the Yankees in a bad position because they have no leverage. He has no value to this team and other teams know that we'd love to get rid of him, so even if there is any interest in Igawa still and that's questionable at best interested teams are going to ask the Yankees to pay a significant portion of his deal and won't offer anything of value in return. Simply put the opportunity to trade him in all likelihood has passed. At this point we're pretty much stuck with his salary for the next 5 years and he'll probably be kept on the roster just cause we're paying him.

I think our best option right now is to send him back to the AAA and put him in the bullpen there. He's proven he isn't going to make it as a starter in the majors. Maybe out of the bullpen he'll have some more life on his FB and he can scrap his curveball which isn't even a useable pitch and focus mostly on throwing his fastball and changeup.

ArodMVP217
06-06-08, 07:02 PM

Excellant post! and bump. I think old Carsten Charles should come before Teixeira for the reason of stability to our rotation. Pettitte and Mussina are in all liklihood not returning next year (and if they do, how effective will they be?), and very rarely does a starter like this with the prime years ahead career become a free agent.

SoCal Pinstriper
06-06-08, 10:35 PM
I don't want seven or eight years of anybody, including Texiera.

Retire21
06-06-08, 10:50 PM

Agreed. Though I'd take seven or eight more years of Bob Sheppard. :)

JohnnyDamonfan
06-06-08, 10:51 PM

I think we can probably manage a six year contract for him. He's really our best choice. We don't have a good enough first baseman to not get him in the offseason. I think he could just what we need to help us . But if it's any longer then six years I say we let him walk.

yankeeman61
06-07-08, 09:59 AM
I think we can probably manage a six year contract for him. He's really our best choice. We don't have a good enough first baseman to not get him in the offseason. I think he could just what we need to help us . But if it's any longer then six years I say we let him walk.

I don't know which team is dumb enough to offer an 8-year deal to Tex. I'm not even sure the Mets would do this. Hopefully 6 years would do it.

Mr. Mxylsplk
06-07-08, 03:07 PM
Excellant post! and bump. I think old Carsten Charles...
I never knew his full name. If we sign him, then we should definitely find a spot for Karstens next year too.

Hellsing
06-07-08, 04:45 PM
Do not want:

Farnsworth
Hawkins
Abreu

AND...

MARK TEXIERA

He's a good player, but I would take the Donkey or Bay and move someone to first. I just do not like him on this team.

The Q Bomb
06-07-08, 05:15 PM
When I'm feeling especially peevish - everybody but Posada and Mo!

b_joseph
06-07-08, 05:18 PM
No even King Felix? BJ Upton? Cole Hamels? If they were available that is.