PDA

View Full Version : Joe Girardi vs. The Media

R.V.47
05-01-08, 12:20 PM
Girardi and the media have not gotten off on the right foot. I guess this should have been expected since he was Torre's replacement and he was so popular with reporters. However, is it so bad that Girardi gets impatient with people asking him stupid questions over and over every night sometimes 2 or 3 times during an interview. The sports media is out of control especially in NY and they seem to have Girardi in their crosshairs.

Bologma!
05-01-08, 12:22 PM
Who cares? The media is terrible. Can't remember the last time I picked up a newspaper or listened to sports radio.

JeterRodriguezSheff
05-01-08, 12:23 PM
If I was Giradi, I would give the media false info just to screw with them. Like say Wang is going on the DL, and then have him pitch the next day.

THEBOSS84
05-01-08, 12:27 PM
If I was Giradi, I would give the media false info just to screw with them. Like say Wang is going on the DL, and then have him pitch the next day.

That would be funny, but he would be screwing with us fans too which would not be cool.

Bologma!
05-01-08, 12:35 PM

:D

But seriously, does anyone who follows baseball like we do get their news from the major outlets? I think everyone here knew exactly what was going on when Hughes went to the DL and quite frankly, I'm glad our management isn't spilling the beans on every detail. I'm glad they have a plan for Joba they keep to themselves. I hope that they don't show their hand if they're thinking of making a trade or something.

NYYFAN
05-01-08, 01:00 PM
It comes with the territory...he just needs to BS better...

knickfan23
05-01-08, 01:20 PM
Here's the problem Girardi has. He's basically being "Belichick" with these injuries to the media and the tone of his answers to certain questions.

When I'm listening to these press conferences, you can see the tense and secrecy in his answers. Did he not know he was going to get some ridiculous, repetitive questions when he took the job? The questions are really no different than last year.

ARoDfan4life
05-01-08, 01:21 PM
Girardi and the media have not gotten off on the right foot. I guess this should have been expected since he was Torre's replacement and he was so popular with reporters. However, is it so bad that Girardi gets impatient with people asking him stupid questions over and over every night sometimes 2 or 3 times during an interview. The sports media is out of control especially in NY and they seem to have Girardi in their crosshairs.

GOOD I HATE THE NY MEDIA, Sherman, Lupica , King , FatBoy and Fruitcake, like I give a damn. :mad:

cupcollector99
05-01-08, 01:49 PM
GOOD I HATE THE NY MEDIA, Sherman, Lupica , King , FatBoy and Fruitcake, like I give a damn. :mad:

The media can be your friend of your worst enemy. When Torre started, they didn't give him a day before they started to call him names but he ignored it and went on to create a very friendly environment for press relations. The media people trusted Torre because he didn't mislead. That was light-years better than it was during the the Steinbrenner era until that point.
I hope Joe doesn't bring back the contentious nature because the media can urge the readers to have patience with the manager or light the torches and lead the angry mob calling for his dismissal.

Yankees1962
05-01-08, 01:56 PM
Girardi needs to be careful because despite how we feel about the media, they can make his job very difficult and with the struggles his ballclub is currently having now, he doesn't need them trying to grease his path out of town. The media can break him like a stick if he doesn't produce a winner and no matter what we feel here on NYYFans.com, most Yankee fans do take the media's opinions about coaches/managers seriously.

As someone stated earlier, Girardi should have realize he is following a media icon that was well-liked by them and they're not going to give him any breaks if he isn't producing the right results on the field. You can be a prick to the media, but you better win or else they're going to get you in the end. Belichick is able to get away with his act up in New England because he won, but in Cleveland where he didn't win, they ran his butt out of town and back to being a coordinator for Parcells.

flymick24
05-01-08, 02:11 PM
as soon as he starts winning, it'll get better

francano is actually very testy with the media, but no one in boston gives a crap because of what they've done on the field in recent years

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-01-08, 02:16 PM
Its sad the media is so stupid.

yankeebot
05-01-08, 02:29 PM
Girardi needs to be careful because despite how we feel about the media, they can make his job very difficult and with the struggles his ballclub is currently having now, he doesn't need them trying to grease his path out of town. The media can break him like a stick if he doesn't produce a winner and no matter what we feel here on NYYFans.com, most Yankee fans do take the media's opinions about coaches/managers seriously.

As someone stated earlier, Girardi should have realize he is following a media icon that was well-liked by them and they're not going to give him any breaks if he isn't producing the right results on the field. You can be a prick to the media, but you better win or else they're going to get you in the end. Belichick is able to get away with his act up in New England because he won, but in Cleveland where he didn't win, they ran his butt out of town and back to being a coordinator for Parcells.I don't think the media has nearly as much influence over ownership as you're implying.

MTYankee23
05-01-08, 02:34 PM
This is what the media gets for consistently asking dumb questions, instead of actually doing a little back work (looking up statistics, etc.) and asking some questions that we as fans can get some use out of.

Yankees1962
05-01-08, 02:46 PM
I don't think the media has nearly as much influence over ownership as you're implying.
I'm not implying any influence over ownership, but I am implying their influence with the average Yankee fan. Girardi can be prickly all he wants to the media, but he better win playoff games, otherwise, his stay will be a short one as the fanbase turns against him after being egged on by the media.

Yankees1962
05-01-08, 02:48 PM
as soon as he starts winning, it'll get better

francano is actually very testy with the media, but no one in boston gives a crap because of what they've done on the field in recent years
It's all about the wins and in the case of the Yankees and Red Sox, playoff wins. If a manager does that then the media can't touch him unless he screws up big time.

Spiker101
05-01-08, 03:02 PM
What Torre understood about media relations that apparently Girardi doesn't (he'll soon find out) is that if you don't give the media what they need to do their jobs, they'll go elsewhere to get it. They have no choice. Usually that means to the players and the players usually aren't savvy enough to know when not to pop off. And presto-magico you have what is commonly known as CLUBHOUSE DISSENSION. I know most of you don't remember that because we haven't had it around here for a dozen years. I don't want to overplay the seriousness of clubhouse dissension; it is not always a fatal disease, just sometimes.

yankeebot
05-01-08, 03:08 PM
I'm not implying any influence over ownership, but I am implying their influence with the average Yankee fan. Girardi can be prickly all he wants to the media, but he better win playoff games, otherwise, his stay will be a short one as the fanbase turns against him after being egged on by the media. But if he doesn't win games his stay will be short because ownership will not want to keep him employed. Not because the average Yankee fan is pissed off. Correlation and causation. And I'm not saying the media has no influence, just not as much as people tend to give them. At least in this regard.

Yankees1962
05-01-08, 03:18 PM
But if he doesn't win games his stay will be short because ownership will not want to keep him employed. Not because the average Yankee fan is pissed off. Correlation and causation. And I'm not saying the media has no influence, just not as much as people tend to give them. At least in this regard.
We all know that winning is what's really important in sustaining your career as Yankee manager. However, why make your job more difficult by having a bad relationship with the media? No good can come of it and the only way you're going to get away with it and survive is to win enough playoff games to satisfy ownership and the fanbase.

Bologma!
05-01-08, 03:57 PM
We all know that winning is what's really important in sustaining your career as Yankee manager. However, why make your job more difficult by having a bad relationship with the media? No good can come of it and the only way you're going to get away with it and survive is to win enough playoff games to satisfy ownership and the fanbase.

Maybe 10 years and 4 rings from now he can lounge in his office and say he has no idea what our best prospect even looks like or that he doesn't know if his closer needs regular time to stay sharp and everyone will chuckle and commend him for his honest and noble nature.

HelloNewman
05-01-08, 04:01 PM
What Torre understood about media relations that apparently Girardi doesn't (he'll soon find out) is that if you don't give the media what they need to do their jobs, they'll go elsewhere to get it. They have no choice. Usually that means to the players and the players usually aren't savvy enough to know when not to pop off. And presto-magico you have what is commonly known as CLUBHOUSE DISSENSION. I know most of you don't remember that because we haven't had it around here for a dozen years. I don't want to overplay the seriousness of clubhouse dissension; it is not always a fatal disease, just sometimes.Casey Stengel used to say something to the effect of, "In every clubhouse, there will be five players who love you no matter what you do; five players who hate you no matter what you do; and fifteen who could go either way. The key to managing a clubhouse is to make sure the fifteen don't get together with the wrong five."

Which, Stengel understood, is one reason why it's important to have a good relationship with the media (and nobody was better at it than Stengel); if you send the writers away happy, the troublemakers in your clubhouse never get to have much of a voice. Send the writers away pissed off and the troublemakers get to have a BIG voice.

ebas
05-01-08, 05:44 PM
Casey Stengel used to say something to the effect of, "In every clubhouse, there will be five players who love you no matter what you do; five players who hate you no matter what you do; and fifteen who could go either way. The key to managing a clubhouse is to make sure the fifteen don't get together with the wrong five."

Which, Stengel understood, is one reason why it's important to have a good relationship with the media (and nobody was better at it than Stengel); if you send the writers away happy, the troublemakers in your clubhouse never get to have much of a voice. Send the writers away pissed off and the troublemakers get to have a BIG voice.

The funny thing is that before he started, people where assuming that Girardi would have a good relationship with the media because he was "a member." That doesn't seem the case at all. It's still early in the season and the players are probably still giving him the benefit of the doubt, but it won't be long before the malcontents start to speak their mind. Girardi should be glad guys like Sheffield are no longer around.

Stupid Flanders
05-01-08, 06:22 PM
The media gave Torre passes on everything for years, especially the overuse of some relievers while others languished in the 'pen for weeks. They got spoiled by having such a cozy relationship with St. Joseph, and they're taking it out on Girardi.

Spiker101
05-01-08, 06:23 PM
The funny thing is that before he started, people where assuming that Girardi would have a good relationship with the media because he was "a member." That doesn't seem the case at all. It's still early in the season and the players are probably still giving him the benefit of the doubt, but it won't be long before the malcontents start to speak their mind. Girardi should be glad guys like Sheffield are no longer around.

Girardi is a bright fellow, he'll learn, I think. My overall impression a month in is that Joe is just a bit uptight and trying too hard to force everything. Once he relaxes a bit (nothing a six-game winning streak won't solve) he'll be fine.

Joba's Rings
05-02-08, 12:05 AM
The media gave Torre passes on everything for years, especially the overuse of some relievers while others languished in the 'pen for weeks. They got spoiled by having such a cozy relationship with St. Joseph, and they're taking it out on Girardi.
Bingo.

The new Joe is making them work, something they've not had to do for quite a while.

R.V.47
05-02-08, 12:21 AM
Essentially I believe that Girardi probably doesnt care what the media thinks of him but he will find out that they could make his life a living hell as unfair as that is.

Rich
05-02-08, 12:29 AM
I think it's spelled Mediots.

montrealer
05-02-08, 08:31 AM
In any sport the Media will make your life miserable if you don`t feed them. Media has a duty to perform and will do so at any price. Joe better learn the game quickly .This is not Florida.

BRNXBMRS
05-02-08, 08:44 AM
Joe is different from Torre, and the media is having a hard time adjusting to the new Joe. They should stop whining about the mgr and write about how this $200 mill team is embarassing themselves.

montrealer
05-02-08, 08:54 AM
Joe is different from Torre, and the media is having a hard time adjusting to the new Joe. They should stop whining about the mgr and write about how this $200 mill team is embarassing themselves.
Different?......No........Torre was better at playing the playing the Media. Giradi will learn how to play the game.

knickfan23
05-02-08, 09:20 AM

How are they "taking it out" on Girardi? Please explain.

silverdsl
05-02-08, 09:52 AM
It's important for Girardi to have a good relationship with the media not just because they can make his life difficult, but because they can help him too.