PDA

View Full Version : Hughes to the DL: Real oblique injury or no?

-tz
04-30-08, 08:10 PM
And if real, why did the Yankees wait till tonight's seventh inning to announce it? :confused:

Soriambi
04-30-08, 08:14 PM
I don't know, but it's definitely quite strange. I'm sure the decision was reached before the game, since Girardi and Hughes are on the bench, and I'd imagine that they would have been consulted regarding the decision. I can't see any big benefit from announcing it now rather than before the game.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
04-30-08, 08:19 PM
I'm torn (no pun intended). I think it might explain his struggles, but it's also a convenient excuse to give him time off.

What I'm really saying is I don't know.

Rastven
04-30-08, 08:19 PM
Maybe they figured they could sneak it out under the wire so to speak.
Maybe this is a real injury, he could have been trying to suck it up and could explain the suckitude.
Maybe the silver lining is that this was caused by the "new mechanics" and they will revert him back to what worked in Sept last year.

YASS
04-30-08, 08:24 PM
Is it retroactive to yesterday?

-tz
04-30-08, 08:27 PM
Is it retroactive to yesterday?No details yet. Watch this space (a repurposed "Hughes staying in the rotation for now" story that will surely be updated soon):

Yankees place Hughes on 15-day DL (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080430&content_id=2616598&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

Soriambi
04-30-08, 08:27 PM

I'm not sure. They just said he went on the DL.

YanksFan1992
04-30-08, 08:29 PM
I am inclined to say it's not, but I am definitely not 100 percent sure.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
04-30-08, 08:30 PM

Not possible, since he pitched yesterday, I think. Can't it only be retroactive to the first game missed?

Soriambi
04-30-08, 08:30 PM
Not possible, since he pitched yesterday, I think. Can't it only be retroactive to the first game missed?

Yeah, I believe that's right. I didn't even think of that. :lol:

CallOfTheCrow
04-30-08, 08:31 PM
Obviously I don't know but I don't think it's true.

YASS
04-30-08, 08:31 PM
Good point. I think that's right.

-tz
04-30-08, 08:35 PM
Maybe someone should start a new thread for people to guess when the DL appearance starts!

-tz
04-30-08, 08:37 PM
I'm thinking now that maybe they waited until late in tonight's game, with the Yankees trailing by three, just especially so people would stick around for all of this tedious game and then watch the postgame show.

They'll probably wait till 45 minutes into the postgame show before they interview Girardi or Cash.

Prison Mike
04-30-08, 09:11 PM
Since the second it came out I thought it was a a lie. Think about it- the Yankees don't have to send him down, and it implies that at least some of his poor performance is related to an injury.

The way they've handled Hughes has been a disaster.

Yankee Tripper
04-30-08, 09:13 PM
very clever way to send the kid down on minor league "rehab" assignment.

YankeesAce4Life
04-30-08, 09:14 PM
He's not injured. Goes on the DL, so they can bring someone up without sending someone down.

JeterRodriguezSheff
04-30-08, 09:28 PM
What if he is injured, though? An oblique injury sucks. I hope it isnt a real injury, but with his history i wouldnt bank on it.

THEBOSS84
04-30-08, 09:37 PM
This injury is complete BS.

Come on now.

It gives the public a reason to think that's why he sucked. It's also helps Cashman not look like an idiot thus far for not pulling off the Santana trade. All while Phil will now get to go to the minors without embarassment.

CallOfTheCrow
04-30-08, 09:38 PM
I'll pretend nothing happened if he comes back & pitches like Phil Hughes. Not this guy that looks like him.

E-Rod
04-30-08, 09:53 PM
The medic department strikes again, maybe they can put Giambi in the DL if he isn't improve in the next games.

How many players we can have in the DL?(starting to thinking in the worst case scenario)

JeterRodriguezSheff
04-30-08, 10:12 PM
I'll pretend nothing happened if he comes back & pitches like Phil Hughes. Not this guy that looks like him.

This. i dont care why he goes on the DL as long as it all works out in the end.

flymick24
04-30-08, 10:14 PM
i hope it's true

-tz
04-30-08, 10:15 PM
FWIW, I posted a fairly complete transcription of his postgame media session in the Injury Update Thread, here:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showpost.php?p=5090964&postcount=89

YanksFanTillDeath
04-30-08, 11:20 PM
only cash and G oh and Phil know teh truth..
Peace

Rocketbooster
04-30-08, 11:27 PM
Since the second it came out I thought it was a a lie. Think about it- the Yankees don't have to send him down, and it implies that at least some of his poor performance is related to an injury.

The way they've handled Hughes has been a disaster.

If it is a lie, I just don't get it; the Yankees really care if the media thinks they made a mistake in not trading Hughes? Sheesh - the ONLY thing that should matter is doing right by Phil and therefore he should have been sent down. Now, if the injury is fake, Phil can't throw at all for 5 or 6 days (or the media is going to know - not that they don't suspect already- that the Yankees lied to them and they will blast the team in the papers).

I have no faith in Eiland to fix matters either since he (and Nardi) shamefully tried to fix something that was broken.

Rocketbooster
04-30-08, 11:29 PM
This injury is complete BS.

Come on now.

It gives the public a reason to think that's why he sucked. It's also helps Cashman not look like an idiot thus far for not pulling off the Santana trade. All while Phil will now get to go to the minors without embarassment.

Sorry, but I don't think Cash would come off as an if Phil had to go down (who cares what the mediots think?) and Phil ? If he couldn't personally handle a demotion, then he doesn't belong in the big leagues. Lying for no reason is just stupid and if this is a lie, entangling their supposedly prized 21 year old in this web of deceit is incredibly foolish.

rpbri2886
04-30-08, 11:31 PM
I think he's hurt.............in which case Phil is Pavano-lite and completely undependable.

Really? Let's not get ridiculous.

Rocketbooster
04-30-08, 11:31 PM

He won't if Eiland insists on forcing Phil to stick with a delivery that is unnatural to him.

Something is very, very wrong and tonight is the first time I've really felt that it's just not meant to be. Also, I think Phil is injured..........and so he's just another fragile talent who can't hack starting on a regular basis.

Rocketbooster
04-30-08, 11:34 PM
Really? Let's not get ridiculous.

I know that's extreme, but I meant it in the sense that IF Phil is hurt, then it means he lied about his injury. I have zero tolerance for that, especially after what happened to Phil last year. He had no business trying to pitch through an injury; is the kid not as smart as we all thought? If he was, he would remember how if felt to miss a bulk of his year while recuperating - he called it the most frustrating year of his life. Trying to macho his way through an injury is truly asinine and selfish because it hurts the team.

Rocketbooster
04-30-08, 11:40 PM
The injury is real:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080430&content_id=2616598&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Thanks to Phil's stupidity in trying to pitch through it, he's going to cost himself a couple of months at least. He won't be able to work on his mechanics and he won't be able to get a fix on any of his other issues - what a complete waste. He really needs to spend the rest of the season in AAA even after he recovers.

NYDCYankee
05-01-08, 03:54 AM
The injury is real:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080430&content_id=2616598&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Thanks to Phil's stupidity in trying to pitch through it, he's going to cost himself a couple of months at least. He won't be able to work on his mechanics and he won't be able to get a fix on any of his other issues - what a complete waste. He really needs to spend the rest of the season in AAA even after he recovers.

You are posting some of the biggest overreaction posts I have ever seen on the history of this site.

Rocketbooster
05-01-08, 06:52 AM
You are posting some of the biggest overreaction posts I have ever seen on the history of this site.

If you don't like my posts, then put me on ignore. I don't like players who try to play through injuries ...and certainly I don't like players who don't tell their teams about injuries. How is any of the below not true? Phil is going to cost himself a lot of time; he isn't going to be able to work on what was troubling him and when he recovers enough to pitch, he's going to need significant time in the Minors. I don't see how you can dispute any of that.

NYDCYankee
05-01-08, 07:18 AM
If you don't like my posts, then put me on ignore. I don't like players who try to play through injuries ...and certainly I don't like players who don't tell their teams about injuries. How is any of the below not true? Phil is going to cost himself a lot of time; he isn't going to be able to work on what was troubling him and when he recovers enough to pitch, he's going to need significant time in the Minors. I don't see how you can dispute any of that.

I don't put people on ignore.

On what basis do you say the underlined? I opened the link you provided and was thinking oh crap this is something serious. Then I actually read the article.

"Either way, he's going to need to get some work in," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. "Either way, he probably needs the time now, so he's going to get it. Unfortunately it's going to be sitting on our disabled list."

Cash sure sound cavalier about it. No one that I have read has indicated Hughes could be out for multiple months.

You are overreacting.

hardrain
05-01-08, 07:34 AM
I certainly think that there is a benefit for Phil to work with Eiland. So the injury has a silver lining in that he can stay near to Eiland and work on his mechanics, then try things out at AAA on a couple of rehab assignments.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-01-08, 07:56 AM
I'm 100% sure that this injury is fake.

THEBOSS84
05-01-08, 08:30 AM
Sorry, but I don't think Cash would come off as an if Phil had to go down (who cares what the mediots think?) and Phil ? If he couldn't personally handle a demotion, then he doesn't belong in the big leagues. Lying for no reason is just stupid and if this is a lie, entangling their supposedly prized 21 year old in this web of deceit is incredibly foolish.

I never said Phil couldn't handle a demotion, I said this would allow the Yanks to send him down while being able to spare him from public embarassment.

Lying for no reason? I gave 3 reasons why they should be lying

Entangling a prized 21 year old in a web of deceit? This kid isn't made of paper, please explain why it's incredibly foolish.

knickfan23
05-01-08, 08:38 AM

Javy, I'm leaning your way on this as well.

It all lines up a little too well for it not to be fake. Bad performance, media scrutiny, injury, DL, minor league rehab.

Too coincidental.

Rastven
05-01-08, 08:43 AM
Javy, I'm leaning your way on this as well.

It all lines up a little too well for it not to be fake. Bad performance, media scrutiny, injury, DL, minor league rehab.

Too coincidental.
I dunno, I think it gives them a chance to work on him and do what they were probably going to do anyway.
The only way we'll ever know if it's a snow job is if Phil is throwing today or tomorrow in the pen and even that isn't necessarily proof because the drs told him it's a day to day thing.

Torre Must Go
05-01-08, 08:53 AM
I think the team saw Hughes as clearly frustrated and bothered off the field, which is rare considering one of Hughes' strengths is his ability to look the part and stay calm. I think for some reason the team felt they would embarass Hughes by sending him down and feel it looks better if he's in the minors because of rehab starts, not because he got demoted.

wang+cano=future
05-01-08, 09:00 AM
I would say he is not really hurt but DL'ing him is a way to avoid sending him to AAA while giving him time to (hopefully) work out how to become a successful pitcher again.

YASS
05-01-08, 09:03 AM
I don't think I'm 100% sure of my own name, but I'm leaning that way, too.

I think we'll get a clue if he comes off the DL as soon as he is eligible. No one comes back from a real oblique injury that quickly.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-01-08, 09:04 AM
I dunno, I think it gives them a chance to work on him and do what they were probably going to do anyway.
The only way we'll ever know if it's a snow job is if Phil is throwing today or tomorrow in the pen and even that isn't necessarily proof because the drs told him it's a day to day thing.

:lol: The Yankees told the doctors it's a day to day thing. I can't believe people are even questioning this.

THEBOSS84
05-01-08, 09:06 AM
I'm surprised at the local newspapers for not even mentioning this as a complete BS injury. I'm with you Javy - no way this is real.

knickfan23
05-01-08, 09:12 AM
I would lean towards not hurt myself, but Girardi said last night that he is being shut down for at least 5-6 days. If that ends up being true then maybe it is legit.

But here's the thing...Girardi, when asked about Hughes' health before the game said he was fine. And then, within a span of about 3 hours, he went from "he's fine" to the DL. Girardi is a smart guy who knows every detail of his operation. I refuse (at the moment) to think that he would pull "an Obama" and just didnt know about this..

cyhughes22
05-01-08, 09:15 AM
I think the team saw Hughes as clearly frustrated and bothered off the field, which is rare considering one of Hughes' strengths is his ability to look the part and stay calm. I think for some reason the team felt they would embarass Hughes by sending him down and feel it looks better if he's in the minors because of rehab starts, not because he got demoted.

To me, I would be more embarassed if they created a fake injury because they were worried about my feelings but then that's just me. At this point I don't know what to believe because "day to day" injuries have a nasty way of snowballing into much longer absences in the Bronx. I don't know what to believe from Girardi or anyone within the organization regarding these injuries.

YESSIR!
05-01-08, 09:19 AM
Who cares if it's fake or if it's real? It is what it is. He's missing at least the next two weeks and will make at least a start or two in the minors. If the Yankees thought faking an injury was the best course of action at this point in time, so be it. I really don't see an issue.

For full disclosure, my feeling is that he is probably having mild discomfort, but nothing that would require a stint on the DL. In other words: it's probably soreness, and not a full blown strain or pull.

ebas
05-01-08, 10:25 AM
But here's the thing...Girardi, when asked about Hughes' health before the game said he was fine. And then, within a span of about 3 hours, he went from "he's fine" to the DL. Girardi is a smart guy who knows every detail of his operation. I refuse (at the moment) to think that he would pull "an Obama" and just didnt know about this..

The problem with Girardi right now is that he will often tell mistruths to the press. He is burning a lot of bridges. Part of the problem is that he takes such a defiant stance on clear misinformation, that he can't later play it off as mis-communication. Instead of saying that Hughes is still starting when he already knew the kid was injured, he could have said something as simple as --we understand that the kid is struggling and we're confident that he'll turn it around but as a team we're currently discussing the best course of action-- . Cashman makes these types of statements day in and day out. I think that Cash has indicated to Girardi that the team will keep info close, but Girardi is not a good enough communicator to play the spin game and ends up being cornered by the press. I only see this getting worse as the season goes on. More than one reporter has already called Girardi out publicly for what they consider to be lies. The media already has their pitchforks in hand. They are just waiting for something big enough to skewer him with.

As for the injury, I think that it is probably the kind of mild thing that someone maybe misses 1 start for. Under normal circumstances, probably one of the kids in the bullpen would have been optioned for a day while a spot starter comes up. Typically, they might DL him if it looked like it might take more time but with Hughes needing to be replaced in the rotation anyway, it made the situation more urgent.

I believe that the injury is being used as an excuse not to send Hughes to AAA. I think that Hughes' statements a few weeks ago about not thinking that he had anything to gain in AAA may have been an indication that he may handle a demotion badly. The Yankee brass is trying to work on Hughes' problems without causing any psychological damage. If this tactic works and Hughes comes back strong, then I applaud the front office. I think that it is a decent strategy at the moment.

Rastven
05-01-08, 10:31 AM
:lol: The Yankees told the doctors it's a day to day thing. I can't believe people are even questioning this.
Of course, I should know by now that your opinion is the only right one.

I don't think Girardi's proclaimations of Phil's health are an indication of a man who doesn't have control of his own ship but of a man who has decided he doesn't necessarily want to reveal everything to the media. These guys got fat and lazy with grandpa Joe and now he's gone they are faced with someone who doesn't care to pander to them. As a result they are pissed off and are trying to rally the villagers to grab thier pitchforks and torches so they can lead them up the hill to kill the evil overlord Girardi.

FingersCrossed
05-01-08, 10:53 AM
Great. I think Phil needed some time off to sort things out anyway. Don't give a damn about whatever the real reason is. If he's hurt, go get healed; if he's not, go get a breather and come back fresh. The kid took a whole lot more for what he signed up for.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-01-08, 11:10 AM

No its possible for other people to share my opinion.

msw6880
05-01-08, 11:39 AM
Am I wrong in thinking that this injury and a few days to a week off from pitching, if it is indeed either greatly embellished or fake, will also have the side effect in limiting Hughes's innings this year? He's not ready for 200 innings, right?

THEBOSS84
05-01-08, 11:40 AM
Am I wrong in thinking that this injury and a few days to a week off from pitching, if it is indeed either greatly embellished or fake, will also have the side effect in limiting Hughes's innings this year? He's not ready for 200 innings, right?

You are absolutely right in thinking this. He's not ready for 200 innings yet, so this "injury" works in many ways for the NYY

msw6880
05-01-08, 11:43 AM
So, basically, he would have to take a break from pitching at some point. This seems like a perfect time to do it and hit the reset button on the season.

knickfan23
05-01-08, 12:26 PM
You are absolutely right in thinking this. He's not ready for 200 innings yet, so this "injury" works in many ways for the NYY

Like we were saying about 2 weeks ago, the Yanks were going to have to be creative when it came to this innings limit. Right now, he's at 22 IP of the "reported" 150-180 he was tagged for with a month gone in the season. I can easily see him missing about a month and if he comes back in June and does well, they dont have to worry about restricting him going forward because he wont exceed that cap.

knickfan23
05-01-08, 12:33 PM

I don't think Girardi's proclaimations of Phil's health are an indication of a man who doesn't have control of his own ship but of a man who has decided he doesn't necessarily want to reveal everything to the media. These guys got fat and lazy with grandpa Joe and now he's gone they are faced with someone who doesn't care to pander to them. As a result they are pissed off and are trying to rally the villagers to grab thier pitchforks and torches so they can lead them up the hill to kill the evil overlord Girardi.

But Joe didnt need to need this tack. He could do that if he were managing the Cubs, Cardinals, Indians or some other team because the media is soft. He's dealing with too many folks to go that route and to boot, he hasnt won anything yet. Belichick can go that route with the Boston media because he has the body of work. That's how Joe got away with some free passes. But you cant show up fresh as a baby, take that route and expect it to work.

It's a losing battle.

YankeeSass
05-01-08, 04:13 PM
Listening to Giriadi on M & MD.

MRI show that Hughes has a stress fracture in his 9th rib. He will shut down for at least 4-6 weeks. Not expected back until July.

:eek:

hardrain
05-01-08, 04:15 PM
We now know that the injury is not made up, despite what certain beat writers are saying. The broken rib that Hughes was hiding has been revealed. Unless you're Bob Gibson, you can't pitch with one of those. Apparently, Phil was hiding this too.

If anything, we are learning that Phil has to come clean with Girardi and other team officials.

themgmt
05-01-08, 04:17 PM
Very real.

Jersey Yankee
05-01-08, 04:18 PM
Listening to Giriadi on M & MD.

MRI show that Hughes has a stress fracture in his 9th rib. He will shut down for at least 4-6 weeks. Not expected back until July.

:eek:
I just heard this on the news radio. I think he should've started the season in the minors, and he's having a hard time adjusting this season. He was great in June.

CallOfTheCrow
05-01-08, 04:18 PM
He won't if Eiland insists on forcing Phil to stick with a delivery that is unnatural to him.

Something is very, very wrong and tonight is the first time I've really felt that it's just not meant to be. Also, I think Phil is injured..........and so he's just another fragile talent who can't hack starting on a regular basis.

Phil is his own man, if that's the case...anytime he can be like "No, this isn't working" & do what comes natural to him.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-01-08, 04:23 PM
I was completely wrong about this being made up, but how the hell did he get a fracture in his rib?

CallOfTheCrow
05-01-08, 04:25 PM
I was completely wrong about this being made up, but how the hell did he get a fracture in his rib?

Halo 3.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-01-08, 04:26 PM
Seriously, this is friggin ridiculous if its true.

themgmt
05-01-08, 04:35 PM
Halo 3.

Phil just needed the time off to play GTA IV

Chubzilla06
05-01-08, 04:38 PM
how the hell did he get a stress fracture

R.V.47
05-01-08, 04:41 PM
This mustve just happened recently because the pain would probably be close to unbearable if he tried to throw with a rib injury.

cupcollector99
05-01-08, 04:46 PM
I had this. I hurt myself working out (too much, too fast) and there was a minor/hairline fracture right next to the sternum. Hurt like a mutha. Maybe he was trying too hard and landed funny.

Rastven
05-01-08, 04:47 PM
Seriously, this is friggin ridiculous if its true.
Yeah it is.
I'm guessing, and my gross anatomy is rusty so bear with me, that he strained the internal oblique badly enough that it pulled on the rib enough to stress fracture it.
This will put him back considerably but hopefully we'll get the real Phil back.

msw6880
05-01-08, 05:27 PM
Buster Olney just said he hurt it "coughing" last week.

ebas
05-01-08, 05:38 PM

Wow... Now he's out until July. That's Pavanoesque. Lets hope the kid has better luck in the future.

msw6880
05-01-08, 05:40 PM
I'm a Sox fan, but it's a real shame that this has happened. I love young pitching no matter what team it is on. Great pitchers are so much more fun to watch than great hitters. Hopefully Phil will get whatever has been ailing him figured out and comes back for a strong July.

knickfan23
05-01-08, 06:04 PM
I just got this messaged to me by a friend of mine a few minutes ago:

Hughes has more DL stints in his early career than Johan Santana has had his entire career.

I was saddened to see that.

4bronxbombers
05-01-08, 06:06 PM
I had this. I hurt myself working out (too much, too fast) and there was a minor/hairline fracture right next to the sternum. Hurt like a mutha. Maybe he was trying too hard and landed funny.

Stress fractures suck. I had one but it was in my foot. Couldn't run for 10 weeks and had to walk around in a boot cast. This really sucks for Phil and the Yankees.

walesave
05-01-08, 06:15 PM
I've seen some posts that blame Phil for pitching with an injury. Isn't it more likely that this injury could have developed in stages with Phil doing what athletes are raised to do...play through the pain. That is not the same thing as pitching when injured and more often then not they work their way through it. It's just unfortunate that Phil's condition deteriorated resulting in a fracture. If an athlete shuts down at the first sign then he's labeled as being soft.

cyhughes22
05-01-08, 06:37 PM
I've seen some posts that blame Phil for pitching with an injury. Isn't it more likely that this injury could have developed in stages with Phil doing what athletes are raised to do...play through the pain. That is not the same thing as pitching when injured and more often then not they work their way through it. It's just unfortunate that Phil's condition deteriorated resulting in a fracture. If an athlete shuts down at the first sign then he's labeled as being soft.

You're totally right but unfortunately athletes can't win today. If they confess to having an injury we brand them a sissy or soft and if they try to play through it and hurt it worse we call them selfish or liars. It's just part of the illogical nature of most fans.

-tz
05-01-08, 06:52 PM
He was great in June.Of what year? :confused:

4bronxbombers
05-01-08, 06:52 PM
Of what year? :confused:

:lol:

ny
05-01-08, 07:03 PM

He didnt hurt it coughing he felt it when he did.

ebas
05-01-08, 07:05 PM
He didnt hurt it coughing he felt it when he did.

That makes more sense. It must be a very small fracture then. From what I understand rib injuries are usually excruciatingly painful. For him not to notice until he coughed hopefully means that it is very minor and that he will have a speedy recovery.

YankeePride1967
05-02-08, 06:30 AM
So, does anyone else think that Joe and Brian held Phil down and cracked the rib in a deliberate attempt to get him out of the rotation?

johnnerr
05-06-08, 12:22 AM
here's a theory

hughes is not injured at all. is it possible the yankees brass, seeing how he's been pitching in the past couple starts decided to "DL" him with a fake injury to strengthen him further and give him a breather from the Majors, and to also tinker with his mechanics after seeing his more over the top motion led to decreased effectiveness (pre-2007 season (3/4th approach) vs post 2007 (over the top)...

anyone?

p.s.

also, let's say phil is really not injured. so that means behind closed doors, he can be pitching as hard as he can, trying to fix mechanics and what not. isn't two months off from playing the majors a good way to limit phil's innings? (Desired to be about 140-150... there are 162 games times 4/6 = 108 / 5 starts each = 21 starts = 100-120 innings plus the time he would have in the minors... maybe 3-4 starts to give him another 15 - 20... giving him 120-140 innings pitched plus the time he would've spent training...

ahhhh i love my yankees!

-tz
05-06-08, 12:55 AM
I'm sorry I started this thread! :o