PDA

View Full Version : The "Are we ever going to score any runs?" Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

E-Rod
04-30-08, 09:38 PM
How Bonderman pitched as long as he did after that 1st inning is a disgrace.

Bonderman problem is always the first inning if he survives it, he will stay in the game for more innings.

Rich
04-30-08, 09:51 PM
Worst. Offense. Ever.

YankeesAce4Life
04-30-08, 09:55 PM
I'm sick to my stomach over this loss. :(

Torre Must Go
04-30-08, 09:58 PM
Pull names out of a hat and make a lineup. Why the hell not at this point.

YankeesAce4Life
04-30-08, 10:00 PM
Pull names out of a hat and make a lineup. Why the hell not at this point.

Seriously...there hasn't been a consistent lineup for more than like 2 days.

This is getting crazy now...Derek Jeter can't even hit in the clutch. :(

GreenGrass
04-30-08, 10:10 PM
Someone should tell the Yankee hitters that the playoff was over 5 months ago, and it's okay to start hitting again now.

YankeesAce4Life
04-30-08, 10:13 PM
Girardi needs to have a closed door meeting and rip these guys a new one.

I sure as hell hope he does that. This is utterly ridiculous now. 2 runs a game? :mad:

rajah
04-30-08, 10:16 PM
I confess that I am not shocked. I was desperate for the Y's to re-sign Arod in part because I thought that without him the offense would be weak for the final year in the old ball yard. I am surprised by Cano's slow start, but otherwise this is about what I would expect from this aging bunch with ARod out and Posada out.

I actually am more surprised by Hughes. I still think that he will get it together, Cano will come back, ARod will recover, and perhaps the Y's will make a run this year. But without ARod getting in a groove like last year it will be impossible I think.

{And, by the way, those of you who think that team meetings or speeches from the manager can make a difference, should enjoy the John Belushi clip from Animal House while you are at the games! These guys want to hit as much as you want them to hit. If it were only about desire and attitude, we could all hit a ML fast ball.}

peeps4iife
04-30-08, 10:16 PM
if you want to be technical... they are middle of the pack in the AL in scoring runs. but god damn these guys are frustrating to watch. as long as this team doesn't fall 9 games under 500 halfway through the season... i still feel ok about them making the playoffs. july is a super soft month schedule-wise.

i might need to take some time off from watching every second of this agonizing baseball though. i can't take being this aggrivated all the time.

BonusCantos
04-30-08, 10:21 PM
It would be less frustrating if they were having decent ABs. The problem is, many of them are not. First pitch groundout, second pitch flyout, 2-0 pop ups, etc. When the patience comes back, so will some of the runs.

51BWilliams
04-30-08, 10:21 PM
Somewhat like slow torture to watch the team play this badly. Matsui, Melky, Joba and Mo are the only guys that I feel confident about when I see them.

Maybe a consistent lineup is part of the issue, but there are guys in there consistently, playing bad, consistently.

It will get better, it just blows while it is happening.
The most common phrase heard around my house is 'I waited all winter for this ................?'

WebsterMulligan
04-30-08, 10:23 PM
Hard to score runs, when your two best right-handed power hitters are on the DL. The fact that Giambi and Cano are mired below the Mendoza line doesn't help either.

teknetic
04-30-08, 10:24 PM
Hard to score runs, when your two best right-handed power hitters are on the DL. The fact that Giambi and Cano are mired below the Mendoza line doesn't help either.

They stunk before ARod and Po went on the DL too.

yankee maniac
04-30-08, 10:25 PM
It would be less frustrating if they were having decent ABs. The problem is, many of them are not. First pitch groundout, second pitch flyout, 2-0 pop ups, etc. When the patience comes back, so will some of the runs.

I agree. The Yanks were always one of the league leaders in walks. This year they are like 20th in the majors. What happened to the patience and who should be held accountable?

BonusCantos
04-30-08, 10:37 PM
I agree. The Yanks were always one of the league leaders in walks. This year they are like 20th in the majors. What happened to the patience and who should be held accountable?Essentially, the hitters themselves have to be held to account. Though A-Rod and Jorge are very good, very necessary hitters for the Yankees, it's not like these other guys don't know how to hit. The Cano AB to end yesterday's game summed it up for me: swung out of his shoes 3 times and struck out on a shoulder-high fastball. At the same time, I wonder what Kevin Long is doing with these guys at this point, because whatever it is, it's not working.

27IsNext
05-02-08, 01:57 PM

Walks and OBP so far:
Jeter - 3 BBs, .317 OBP
Abreu - 9 BBs, .331 OBP
Cano - 7 BBs, .212 OBP
Posada - 3 BBs, .333 OBP (limited at-bats)
A-Rod - 6 BBs, .343 OBP (limited at-bats)
Cabrera - 12 BBs, .362 OBP
Damon - 19 BBs, .385 OBP
Matsui - 13 BBs, .414 OBP
Giambi - 15 BBs, .313 OBP

I think you've identified the main problem. Our guys either aren't taking walks, aren't hitting or both. Jeter and Abreu, guys who usually walk a lot, have less than 10 walks. Posada and A-Rod also have under 10 walks, but they've missed time, so hard to really get a read on them.

Damon, Matsui and Cabrera are the only ones with over 10 walks who are hitting. Giambi still has a good eye, but isn't hitting. Cano is walking slightly more than usual for him, but also isn't hitting.

BonusCantos
05-02-08, 10:55 PM
Walks and OBP so far:
Jeter - 3 BBs, .317 OBP
Abreu - 9 BBs, .331 OBP
Cano - 7 BBs, .212 OBP
Posada - 3 BBs, .333 OBP (limited at-bats)
A-Rod - 6 BBs, .343 OBP (limited at-bats)
Cabrera - 12 BBs, .362 OBP
Damon - 19 BBs, .385 OBP
Matsui - 13 BBs, .414 OBP
Giambi - 15 BBs, .313 OBP

I think you've identified the main problem. Our guys either aren't taking walks, aren't hitting or both. Jeter and Abreu, guys who usually walk a lot, have less than 10 walks. Posada and A-Rod also have under 10 walks, but they've missed time, so hard to really get a read on them.

Damon, Matsui and Cabrera are the only ones with over 10 walks who are hitting. Giambi still has a good eye, but isn't hitting. Cano is walking slightly more than usual for him, but also isn't hitting.I caught pretty little of the game tonight, so I don't know if it carried over, but I DID see the 8th inning where the Yankees loaded them up and scored a couple; they were taking pitches, fouling off, wearing down the pitcher, and driving pitches they could handle. Even Molina's sac fly was well-hit. THAT is Yankee baseball.

Yankees1962
05-02-08, 11:12 PM
I know this might sound funny, but I'm more worried about the hitting than the pitching. I think in time, the pitching will get its legs underneath them and get going with better results as the weather gets warmer.

However, the hitting concerns me especially with Arod and Posada being out of the lineup for an extensive period of time. I would have felt better if Cano was hitting better now because the ballclub really needs his bat. Also, you have to wonder if Giambi is done as a premium hitter and will only hit mistake pitches. My wishlist is the following:

Damon and Jeter start hitting well and taking more pitches and walks. Melky keeps hitting well with more power. Abreu continues to hit well with Giambi, Duncan and Cano coming on stronger with more productive at-bats. Finally, Arod comes back in another couple of weeks strong with Posada following him sometime in early June.

BonusCantos
05-04-08, 02:34 PM
This is MUCH better today. Pretty much everyone is getting in on the party, and they're wearing down the pitcher(s).

27IsNext
05-04-08, 02:37 PM
Damon, Jeter, Abreu, Matsui and Cabrera are tearing it up. We just need Cano and Giambi to wake up and A-Rod and Posada to return.

R.V.47
05-04-08, 04:39 PM
The big difference between now and a couple of weeks ago is that the top of our lineup with Damon and Jeter is really starting to heat it up. That makes it a lot easier to score runs.

CJTaKoZ26
05-06-08, 05:06 AM
Here's a fun game to play:

Guess who are the Top 5 Yanks in OPS so far this season without looking anything up. Then, go look it up. If you got the top 5 right in any order, go get a cookie. If you got the top 5 right in correct order, go get 2 cookies.

NYIndian2005
05-07-08, 08:35 PM
This looks like last year's ALDS right now.

Mark19
05-07-08, 08:35 PM
The lineup doesn't feature anyone who is a lock to hit 25 HRs this season yet they still play for the 3-run HR.

27IsNext
05-07-08, 08:46 PM
Horrible at-bats with three bench players starting is a recipe for lackluster offense.

teknetic
05-07-08, 08:47 PM
They'll struggle mightily to get a few baserunners on and then proceed to lay goose eggs with completely awful AB's. Recipe for success.

Torre Must Go
05-07-08, 08:47 PM
Can't say I'm in love with Duncan being our cleanup hitter, even if we need a righty bat in that spot.

Mark19
05-07-08, 09:09 PM
Can't say I'm in love with Duncan being our cleanup hitter, even if we need a righty bat in that spot.

At least he is being aggressive. He is the only guy with an XBH.

27IsNext
05-07-08, 10:16 PM
Worst offense of all time.

-tz
05-07-08, 10:25 PM
Worst offense of all time.Were you watching the Seattle games? ;)

apalradio
05-08-08, 07:00 AM
Were you watching the Seattle games? ;)That Seattle series was like an oasis in the desert.

BRNXBMRS
05-08-08, 08:39 AM
This offense makes the late 80's early 90's teams look like murders row.

yankeesnumber1
05-08-08, 09:24 AM
That Seattle series was like an oasis in the desert.

Im just really hoping that when ARod comes back he gets into form quick and gives the offense a nice boost. We know Giambi isnt going to do it..haha

yankswn23
05-08-08, 10:31 AM
Stupid thread. As Runs have been scored.This thread is just bad luck. People stop posting in it.

Mark19
05-08-08, 01:38 PM
17 innings without a run...

apalradio
05-08-08, 01:55 PM
Stupid thread. As Runs have been scored.This thread is just bad luck. People stop posting in it.We've been searching relentlessly for a reasonable explanation for this offensive collapse. Finally!!

27IsNext
05-14-08, 07:25 PM
This team has completely and totally forgotten how to work a count.

Prison Mike
05-14-08, 07:33 PM
Can we please cut Ensberg? I don't care who else we play there- he can't be any worse.

yankeeman61
05-15-08, 09:26 AM
Apparently the answer is still no, but at least the all important W column dinged. :)

R.V.47
05-15-08, 11:43 AM
This team has completely and totally forgotten how to work a count.

Its strange because these are veteran hitters who should know better. The last two nights I can give them a little exception because Garza and Shields were just great at pounding the zone but its been a problem all year.

27IsNext
06-02-08, 10:03 PM
I hate this offense. Seventeen baserunners and all you can manage to score is five runs?

I really, really hate this offense.

IMissBillyM
06-02-08, 10:04 PM
This is one sorry team

yankee maniac
06-02-08, 10:06 PM
I hate this offense. Seventeen baserunners and all you can manage to score is five runs?

I really, really hate this offense.

It really is pathetic, its just getting so predictable, lead off single, the next batter will hit into a DP. Runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs, can't score.

b_joseph
06-02-08, 10:06 PM

I really, really hate this offense.Sometimes you just arent going to get the runs you deserve, but you'll take 5 runs in nearly every game you play in a season.

-tz
06-02-08, 10:35 PM
It really is pathetic, its just getting so predictable, lead off single, the next batter will hit into a DP. Runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs, can't score.You forgot leadoff double, can't score. :(

Reed Rothchild
06-02-08, 10:36 PM

Not to mention against a mediocre starter and a depleted bullpen.