PDA

View Full Version : I deserve to be heckled over this but Barry Bonds [should be signed by the Yankees]

budstinks
02-06-08, 09:16 PM
had a .480 OB avg (jeter .388, Damon .351) last season at age 42. (170 OPS Plus) (AL MVP was 177)

132 frickin walks in 127 games. (vs 54k's).

I'd trade Matsui and let Bonds DH with Giambi at 1st and Damon in left. Or if Damon gets hurt, Melky in left and Gardner in cf.

I'd also try to give Bonds/Damon a first baseman's mitt to see if they are AS embarassing at first as Jason is. They are probably worse, but who knows.

I don't know, the guys a douche bag, but I'd frickin bat him leadoff and let Damon hit 9th.

And who knows, maybe primarily as the DH, the guy hits 50 bombs. At this point, even at age 43 I think the odds are that he can hit better than Jason.

It looks like everyone else out there is black balling him. I'd give him an incentive ladden one year contract, guaranteeing $1 mil plus $50k for every run and rbi. If he goes 150/150 thats $15 mil.

It's not like he's going to screw up any mojo we have going on.

Thank you sir, may I have another?

webassign
02-06-08, 09:19 PM
I love Barry, and I would love to see him in pinstripes.

NYDCYankee
02-06-08, 09:21 PM
I agree with this acquisition 100%.

YankeeZim
02-06-08, 09:21 PM
No thanks.

R.V.47
02-06-08, 09:46 PM
Theres a lot of other teams out there that would need his offense a lot more than us and havent touched him with a 20 foot pole. I think that says something about Bonds.

apalradio
02-06-08, 09:50 PM
You deserve to be heckled over this.

nnysiny
02-06-08, 09:59 PM
not only is he Barry Bonds, but he is everything that the Yankees dont need (age, money, DH, lefty)

jackno
02-06-08, 10:01 PM
I think you are correct. The idea is to win baseball games. Not to assemble a collection of good guys. If he helps the Yanks win then bring him on. We can deal with the circus.

flymick24
02-06-08, 10:02 PM
you deserve to be tickled over this

Nick71
02-06-08, 10:03 PM
People are really foolish when they outright dismiss the idea for no reason other than their dislike for Bonds. Barry is still a premier offensive player. An obp of 480 is astounding, and as the original poster said, his OPS+ was on par with Arod. He would help our offense a great deal.

Obviously this deal would be contingent on either Damon or Matsui being dealt. However, if some team offered a reasonable deal for either of them, I would not hesitate to do it and sign Bonds.

bigjf
02-06-08, 10:19 PM
That OBP was also a product of a ton of intentional walks because he was chasing the record. There's no way he'd duplicate that again, but I doubt he'd even take the field with the whole indictment thing going on.

PJMPirate
02-06-08, 10:24 PM
People are really foolish when they outright dismiss the idea for no reason other than their dislike for Bonds. Barry is still a premier offensive player. An obp of 480 is astounding, and as the original poster said, his OPS+ was on par with Arod. He would help our offense a great deal.

How about the fact that he's currently under indictment?

I would literally rather finish in last place than see Barry Bonds in a Yankee uniform.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
02-06-08, 10:27 PM
So you'd like to kill Girardi in his first year managing the Yankees? The Yankees will have enough distractions on this team, Bonds is a sideshow on to himself. Let him go to Oakland as their lone draw.

JeterForPresident
02-06-08, 10:31 PM
No! Please No!

budstinks
02-06-08, 11:19 PM
you deserve to be tickled over this

;)

lol.

sweet_lou_14
02-06-08, 11:24 PM
No! Please No!

I wish this whole idea would just die.

Jeter Kid
02-06-08, 11:28 PM
No Thanks.

budstinks
02-06-08, 11:29 PM
How about the fact that he's currently under indictment?

I would literally rather finish in last place than see Barry Bonds in a Yankee uniform.

Ok, what if it is dropped or thrown out?

The President of the United States lied under oath and 50% of this country is voting for his wife primarily for a like for him.

Is it because Barry is a liar or a cheat that people hate him so bad? And why don't people hate Clinton like they do Bonds?

My advise to Barry is to go on tv an say:

I want you to listen to me. I'm going to say this again: I did not have sexual relations with that company, BALCO. I never told anybody to lie, not a single time; never. These allegations are false. And I need to go back to work for the American people. Thank you.

It's worked before. Sort of. My apologies if that seems more political than historical.

IF the FEDS have no tissue!
A release the judge must ISSUE!

False1
02-07-08, 01:54 AM
That OBP was also a product of a ton of intentional walks because he was chasing the record. There's no way he'd duplicate that again, but I doubt he'd even take the field with the whole indictment thing going on.It was also a byproduct of the fact that the rest of that SF Giants offense sucked reeeally bad. You could argue that in a lineup like NYY he'd get way more pitches to hit, but I am firmly in the no camp. I'm not real keen on an injury-prone, 40+ year old DH that would be changing teams and leagues while under indictment for perjury. Unless he really has found a legal way to continue to produce, he's bound for a drop in production and not worth the headache.

JeffWeaverFan
02-07-08, 02:30 AM
It doesn't really matter what any of us would think about it because there isn't a chance in hell of it happening.

SoCal Pinstriper
02-07-08, 04:29 AM
People don't get heckled over non-descriptive thread titles, but it might be a good idea. ;)

DisabledMess
02-07-08, 05:57 AM
I agree with everyone that doesn't want him, in this thread.

mbn007
02-07-08, 06:02 AM
Nice stats, and he would be something hitting behind A-Rod, but no thanks.

BRNXBMRS
02-07-08, 07:21 AM
I wish this whole idea would just die.

Me 2, You deserve to be heckled over this.

aeromac76
02-07-08, 07:33 AM
I say no, but not not because I hate Barry or worry about the PR.
I want to win and he could help us at DH, the man can still mash..

But he is under charges of perjury by the Federal Govmt and may be seeing jail time. That needs to get resolved before anything else.

Other than that, if he'd come on the cheap, in our stadium, the guy would probably mash as a full tiem DH so I would take a flyer if not for the criminal stuff

wang+cano=future
02-07-08, 07:42 AM
Too much baggage and too many DH's on this team already....

JavyVazquezIsSick
02-07-08, 07:59 AM
Yes absolutely should be signed. Instantly makes our team a lot better.

YankeePride1967
02-07-08, 08:01 AM
The only way this makes sense is if we find a taker for Giambi or more likely Matsui. We don't need three DH's.

apalradio
02-07-08, 08:15 AM
The only way this makes sense is if we find a taker for Giambi or more likely Matsui. We don't need three DH's.Surprising that more people didn't make this point. We're saturated with DH types. And frankly, I would rather have Matsui on this team than Bonds...for any number of reasons.

tdel23
02-07-08, 08:20 AM
I'd pass, I think the baggage he carries is not worth it.

JavyVazquezIsSick
02-07-08, 08:20 AM
Bonds really wasn't as bad as people think in LF last year, I think according to a lot of metrics he was about average.

yankeeman61
02-07-08, 08:28 AM
In all of the years Bonds has been playing, he helped his team get to one World Series. ONE. And they lost.

"But, but, but.....his OBP, his OPS"!!!

How about, "his indictment", or "his massive ego (and head)", or "his ultra-selfish attitude", or his "old steroid-infested broken down body" ?

How about, "The Yankees don't need this headache in order to win, in fact he could be detrimental to winning"?

Let the heckling carry on!

elsupremo2
02-07-08, 08:31 AM
Let this thing drop. WE DO NOT NEED BARRY F'ING BONDS!

JavyVazquezIsSick
02-07-08, 08:40 AM
"But, but, but.....his OBP, his OPS"!!!

:lol:

THEBOSS84
02-07-08, 08:42 AM
I'm surprised noone seems to care that we would lose our first round pick for signing Bonds...

wang+cano=future
02-07-08, 08:44 AM
I'm surprised noone seems to care that we would lose our first round pick for signing Bonds...

I forgot about that. Another big reason to leave him alone.

NewEraYanks2527
02-07-08, 08:49 AM
Another breaking down, aging, lefty bat that can't play the field? I'm sure that is a position we have open...

JavyVazquezIsSick
02-07-08, 08:50 AM

Hows that? I didn't think the Giants offered Bonds arb.

budstinks
02-07-08, 09:00 AM
Hows that? I didn't think the Giants offered Bonds arb.

They didn't. There would be no loss of draft pick.

THEBOSS84
02-07-08, 09:03 AM
Sorry for the wrong info, my bad.

I would sign him. I am the type of fan who doesn't give a sh*t about any off field crap. I just like the game itself.

Panamaniac42
02-07-08, 09:20 AM
Not a bad idea but I'd rather have Jon Dowd.

Game4Tino
02-07-08, 09:24 AM
Again, the Yankees cannot afford to sign ANY player with a suspected or proven history of PED use.

I wouldn't mind his bat in the lineup either, but this is a matter of actively setting a standard for this organization refusing to be a part of the problems that currently face the game. The Yankees were hit the hardest by the Mitchell Report and will continue to be under the microscope for the forseeable future. This is an opportunity to restore some of the luster back to the organization that has become the target of far too many attacks by the media.

TEPLimey
02-07-08, 09:27 AM
If we took a flyer on Bonds for a one-year deal, I would be ok with this. They guy can still mash and would instantly become one of our 3 best hitters. I didn't watch enough NL to comment on his defensive skills, but he and Giambi would make a brutal R/L platoon at DH.

Sure, we have too many DH types like Matsui, Shelly Duncan, etc., but you know what? Bonds is an upgrade over all of them. Last season his OPS+ was 170 and his worst OPS+ in the last 15 seasons is far better than Matsui's career best.

If we have an opportunity to get a killer like Bonds for 1 season to play DH with an occasional spell in the OF, we do it. Inferior hitters like Giambi, Matsui, Duncan, or whoever else can ride the pine, their salaries be damned.

Who cares if he is an egomaniac? So was Reggie Jackson. So what if he's surly? So was Sheff. We're assembling a team of professionals to win games, not compiling a group of Boy Scouts to help old women cross the street.

The only caveat I would like is that his contract is only guaranteed if doesn't miss playing time due to his current legal troubles.

nnysiny
02-07-08, 09:28 AM
now we're talking! younger, right-handed, and without the media circus ;)

THEBOSS84
02-07-08, 09:30 AM
If we took a flyer on Bonds for a one-year deal, I would be ok with this. They guy can still mash and would instantly become one of our 3 best hitters. I didn't watch enough NL to comment on his defensive skills, but he and Giambi would make a brutal R/L platoon at DH.

Dude, they are both lefty hitters.

TEPLimey
02-07-08, 09:34 AM
Dude, they are both lefty hitters.
Just one more reason not to post before drinking my coffee. Sorry for the brain-fart.

Pinstripe Pride23
02-07-08, 09:34 AM
Heck no on Barry. The Yanks don't need even more of a joke media circus following them around than they do now. Plus the never ending questions about all things Barry that the other players will be aksed on an hourly basis. Not to mention that Bonds would probably request a special recliner in front of his locker. Which would lead to questions about why Mo and Jeter don't have a recliner. It would never end. The guy is a cancer.

budstinks
02-07-08, 09:37 AM

Me too!

He's IN THE GAME!

Maynerd
02-07-08, 10:09 AM
Consider yourself heckled.

Do. Not. Want.

NewEraYanks2527
02-07-08, 10:13 AM
Budstinks-

At no point in your incoherent ramblings did you come close to even making a point, we are all now dumber for having listened to you, I award you no points and my God have mercy on your soul.

Yankee Tripper
02-07-08, 10:24 AM
I would swallow my pride and hope for him to do well in pinstripes if it happens but it is a move I don't really see happening with the pending trail and already left handed log jam at DH this year.

If Barry didn't have to play the field he'd be a good DH as his body could probably handle 140 starts at DH.

JVIS pointed out he was "about average" on defense but honestly having watched quite a few giants games last year, what ever metric rated him average was being generous. He simply couldn't get to balls he should have and his arm never a strong suit of Bonds has not improved with age. Couple that with the fact that he often had to leave the game after 7 innings becuase his knees simply couldn't take the pounding in the field; he's really no longer an NL player and should get no more than spot starts in left if he does catch on with an AL team.

THEBOSS84
02-07-08, 10:27 AM
Budstinks-

At no point in your incoherent ramblings did you come close to even making a point, we are all now dumber for having listened to you, I award you no points and my God have mercy on your soul.

Billy Madison for $500. That is one of the funniest lines ever.

Yankee Tripper
02-07-08, 10:34 AM
It looks like everyone else out there is black balling him. I'd give him an incentive ladden one year contract, guaranteeing $1 mil plus $50k for every run and rbi. If he goes 150/150 thats $15 mil.

Great idea on contract terms, unfortunately those types of incentive deals for stats are against the CBA. It has to be something like plate appearences, games played, ect not HRs, Rs, AVE...

budstinks
02-07-08, 10:53 AM
Heck no on Barry. The Yanks don't need even more of a joke media circus following them around than they do now. Plus the never ending questions about all things Barry that the other players will be aksed on an hourly basis. Not to mention that Bonds would probably request a special recliner in front of his locker. Which would lead to questions about why Mo and Jeter don't have a recliner. It would never end. The guy is a cancer.

Not sure it could be anymore of a circus than it already was.

For that matter, maybe its just what the Yanks need. The media pressure off:

The young gun starters.
The championship less reigning mvp.
The bullpen (at least until it actually implodes)
The aging captain.
The rookie manager.
Roger Clemens (I'm really sick of hearing about him)
etc, etc, etc.I'm one that believes that Barry has tried unsuccessfully to rehab his image as he's gotten older. He's not nearly the jerk he once was. I would think he'd be just like Strawberry was as his career faded. And no one can tell me steriods are worse than crack.

I don't think he stands out on a team of stars. Obviously the Yanks would grant him no concessions based on his fame (extra locker, etc) If he didn't appear to buy into the team concept, than obviously, you walk away.

As I've said, it would TOTALLY be an incentive deal based on how he performed.

We need a bullpen arm. And whatever spare part you choose to trade might be able to bring that along with a mid-tier prospect.

Yes, we don't want to build the team around old aging players. But he is just a spare part. And you mix and match spare parts to better your team.

You just can't go out and get that kind of OBP and OPS.

budstinks
02-07-08, 10:55 AM
Great idea on contract terms, unfortunately those types of incentive deals for stats are against the CBA. It has to be something like plate appearences, games played, ect not HRs, Rs, AVE...

Well, than you make it based on plate appearances, then you tell him he ain't playing unless he performs.

Then you also give bonus' for any award he might win. Silver Slugger, MVP top 10, WS MVP, Gold Glove.

I thought you could get one for winning the Batting Title? Why couldn't you give one for being the walk champ or the OBP champ?

budstinks
02-07-08, 11:08 AM
Budstinks-

:-sorry-:

Pinstripe Pride23
02-07-08, 11:56 AM
Budstinks-

Classic Sandler. Awesome!!

Jasbro
02-07-08, 12:17 PM
Not sure it could be anymore of a circus than it already was.

For that matter, maybe its just what the Yanks need. The media pressure off:

The young gun starters.
The championship less reigning mvp.
The bullpen (at least until it actually implodes)
The aging captain.
The rookie manager.
Roger Clemens (I'm really sick of hearing about him)
etc, etc, etc.I'm one that believes that Barry has tried unsuccessfully to rehab his image as he's gotten older. He's not nearly the jerk he once was. I would think he'd be just like Strawberry was as his career faded. And no one can tell me steriods are worse than crack.

I don't think he stands out on a team of stars. Obviously the Yanks would grant him no concessions based on his fame (extra locker, etc) If he didn't appear to buy into the team concept, than obviously, you walk away.

As I've said, it would TOTALLY be an incentive deal based on how he performed.

We need a bullpen arm. And whatever spare part you choose to trade might be able to bring that along with a mid-tier prospect.

Yes, we don't want to build the team around old aging players. But he is just a spare part. And you mix and match spare parts to better your team.

You just can't go out and get that kind of OBP and OPS.

He. Is. Going. To. Jail.

And even if he doesn't, I think it's wishful thinking to tell yourself that the all-time HR king, under Federal indictment, wearing pinstripes, in the context of the Clemens case, will somehow be a welcomed distraction.

His legal issues would become the focal point of our season. And those issues aren't likely to be going away anytime soon. Federal indictments aren't tossed about just for show.

Our last championship has just recently been tainted a bit by steriods. You actually want our next one to be, too?

THEBOSS84
02-07-08, 12:22 PM
Our last championship has just recently been tainted a bit by steriods. You actually want our next one to be, too?

I'm not sure how our next championship will be tainted by steroids when Bonds is not on steroids anymore. I guess we should boot Giambi off the team just in case we win the WS this year...wouldn't want it to be tainted.

Jasbro
02-07-08, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure how our next championship will be tainted by steroids when Bonds is not on steroids anymore. I guess we should boot Giambi off the team just in case we win the WS this year...wouldn't want it to be tainted.

In my opinion, Bonds and Giambi are worlds apart with regard to the steroids stigma.

ojo
02-07-08, 01:58 PM
billy!

Godspeed
02-07-08, 04:21 PM
I dont want anything to do with any player that was on riods and isn't now. They have a tenancy to crash and burn. We've had a tendancy to pick them up on the crash (what's-his-face that found God, Giambi, Roger (allegedly), etc)

dont_ya_know24
02-07-08, 05:52 PM
think about him in ront of a-rod, with the short porch in left.

it would be a great idea, but he and the yankees will get killed if he comes here. (not that they aren't already)

i don't like him, but if we traded matsui, i would take him and the .400 + obp.

didn't he have like a .600 obp one year? :scared:

apalradio
02-07-08, 06:21 PM
Barry's not playing anywhere this year. There's not a team in mlb that will do this.

YankeesAce4Life
02-07-08, 07:14 PM
Thanks, but no thanks.

budstinks
02-07-08, 08:55 PM
In my opinion, Bonds and Giambi are worlds apart with regard to the steroids stigma.

WHAT?

Why?

Because one is he all-time HR champ and the other is half clown/half hitter?

sujaan
02-07-08, 09:21 PM
WHAT?

Why?

Because one is he all-time HR champ and the other is half clown/half hitter?
No, because one manned up to what he did (I'm guessing)

DisabledMess
02-07-08, 09:55 PM
The question isn't whether Barry took steroids but it's whether he knew about it or not so if he took steroids and doesn't take them now, how much longer would he be able to play at a decent level? Would he start hitting like a "normal" 43 year old would or would he hit like a steroid 43 year old? I don't think he'd have the audacity to take steroids again after all of this so would he all of a sudden just make a real rapid decline?

budstinks
02-08-08, 07:10 AM
No, because one manned up to what he did (I'm guessing)

Is that what you call what Giambi did?

:P

edwardthomas34
02-08-08, 08:14 AM
Unless we can get rid of giambi,no.We don't have the spot for bonds.DH is full with giambi and matsui.Our offense is strong enough as it is.The key to making the playoffs is if our young starters can perform reasonably well,not if we sign bonds.we don't need him.

PJMPirate
02-08-08, 08:38 AM
In all of the years Bonds has been playing, he helped his team get to one World Series. ONE. And they lost.

Not to defend Barry Bonds, but that's an incredibly stupid argument. He played for the GIANTS. You know, Don Mattingly only helped his team to NO World Series. What a terrible player he must have been.

DaSh 1s
02-08-08, 09:49 AM
not only is he Barry Bonds, but he is everything that the Yankees dont need (age, money, DH, lefty)

:-werd-:

NewEraYanks2527
02-08-08, 11:19 AM
What seperates Bonds from Giambi on the steroid issue is not just that Giambi "admitted" it but the fact that everyone hated Barry before the steroid stuff anyways.

marcus51
02-08-08, 05:07 PM
It doesn't really matter what any of us would think about it because there isn't a chance in hell of it happening.

That's what they said about getting ARod in a trade, and signing him after he opted out.

yankeeman61
02-08-08, 06:09 PM
Not to defend Barry Bonds, but that's an incredibly stupid argument. He played for the GIANTS. You know, Don Mattingly only helped his team to NO World Series. What a terrible player he must have been.

Pardon me for my incredibly stupid argument, but the Pirates actually had a pretty good team. By the way, in his post season opportunities (save 1) for the most part Bonds didn't exactly light it up...whoops there I go again. On the other hand, when Mattingly did have his one opportunity he performed quite well. What an incredibly stupid comparison, in every possible way.

Yankee Tripper
02-08-08, 06:27 PM
Pardon me for my incredibly stupid argument, but the Pirates actually had a pretty good team. By the way, in his post season opportunities (save 1) for the most part Bonds didn't exactly light it up...whoops there I go again. On the other hand, when Mattingly did have his one opportunity he performed quite well. What an incredibly stupid comparison, in every possible way.
Look I've always disliked Bonds (even before the whole steriod thing) and Don Mattingly was one of my favorite Yankees but are you really claiming that because Mattingly had a good 24 AB run in his one and only playoff appearence, he's somehow clutch?

btw that one post season you dismis for Bonds was pretty amzing. You do realize he has a career world series OPS of 1.994 right? I was so happy when not only did the Giants colapse in game 6, but Bonds didn't win the WS MVP either which he looked like a lock to do, but if there was ever a case for a losing player to get, he sure made a good case with his .700 OBP, 1.294 SLG and 4 HRS. I still thank Dusty for starting Livan over Reuter in game 7 because you know it is always a good idea to start the league leader in losses in the most important game of the season.

yankeeman61
02-09-08, 09:01 AM
Look I've always disliked Bonds (even before the whole steriod thing) and Don Mattingly was one of my favorite Yankees but are you really claiming that because Mattingly had a good 24 AB run in his one and only playoff appearence, he's somehow clutch?

btw that one post season you dismis for Bonds was pretty amzing. You do realize he has a career world series OPS of 1.994 right? I was so happy when not only did the Giants colapse in game 6, but Bonds didn't win the WS MVP either which he looked like a lock to do, but if there was ever a case for a losing player to get, he sure made a good case with his .700 OBP, 1.294 SLG and 4 HRS. I still thank Dusty for starting Livan over Reuter in game 7 because you know it is always a good idea to start the league leader in losses in the most important game of the season.

Actually my post was in response to a personal insult by another poster. To clarify my original point, for those who have relentlessly supported signing Bonds:

Taking a narrow view by drooling over his past OPS, dismisses many other factors that come with him, not the least of which is the slim liklihood of him even playing this year, let alone playing for the Yankees. All of the other baggage has been well documented so I won't repeat what has been stated ad nauseum. Those who support his signing don't care anyway.

His past OPS means nothing if you can't make the difference in your team winning a championship when you consider what you have to put up with. In the end he didn't make the difference for the Giants (not his fault that year). Prior to that he had several opportunities but just didn't do anything in the post season. And now he has a broken down body and certainly can't be relied upon, even as a DH.

As far as Mattingly, he was the ultimate team player, whose team only had one shot in the post season during his career and he was great in his one chance. I would take Mattingly on my team over Bonds any day of the week. I'm just not one of those fans who look strictly at stats and say "I want this player on my team". For me there is a lot more to it than just hitting. Defense, baserunning ability, overall effort and mostly a winning attitude. Yes, I want guys who are willing to do whatever it takes to win a ballgame. When was the last time Bonds busted up his face diving into the seats for a ball because he wanted to catch the ball? (oh, yes I know this statement will annoy people - have at it with the anti-Jeter and gritty Bubba Crosby comments) When was the first time? Bonds is all about himself first, always has been.

Once again, no thanks.

DeeptooRight
02-09-08, 10:08 AM
He's not gonna be signed here we need big time pitchers...

Yankee Tripper
02-09-08, 10:45 AM
Actually my post was in response to a personal insult by another poster. To clarify my original point, for those who have relentlessly supported signing Bonds:

Taking a narrow view by drooling over his past OPS, dismisses many other factors that come with him, not the least of which is the slim liklihood of him even playing this year, let alone playing for the Yankees. All of the other baggage has been well documented so I won't repeat what has been stated ad nauseum. Those who support his signing don't care anyway.

His past OPS means nothing if you can't make the difference in your team winning a championship when you consider what you have to put up with. In the end he didn't make the difference for the Giants (not his fault that year). Prior to that he had several opportunities but just didn't do anything in the post season. And now he has a broken down body and certainly can't be relied upon, even as a DH.

As far as Mattingly, he was the ultimate team player, whose team only had one shot in the post season during his career and he was great in his one chance. I would take Mattingly on my team over Bonds any day of the week. I'm just not one of those fans who look strictly at stats and say "I want this player on my team". For me there is a lot more to it than just hitting. Defense, baserunning ability, overall effort and mostly a winning attitude. Yes, I want guys who are willing to do whatever it takes to win a ballgame. When was the last time Bonds busted up his face diving into the seats for a ball because he wanted to catch the ball? (oh, yes I know this statement will annoy people - have at it with the anti-Jeter and gritty Bubba Crosby comments) When was the first time? Bonds is all about himself first, always has been.

Once again, no thanks.
I'd take mattingly too but we're probably both being short sighted.

I think Bonds can help a team, just not the Yanks, he duplicates too much of what we already have. the team I think he would help a lot is Seattle.

I think Bonds gets too much of the blame as the poster child for the whole steriod era when the Mitchell report which is really just a tiny tip of the ice berg shows that steroid use was pretty rampant.

Slioman
02-09-08, 11:32 AM
There is absolutely no team in baseball that wouldn't be improved by signing Bonds. I would support it.

yankeeman61
02-09-08, 01:40 PM
I'd take mattingly too but we're probably both being short sighted.

I think Bonds can help a team, just not the Yanks, he duplicates too much of what we already have. the team I think he would help a lot is Seattle.

I think Bonds gets too much of the blame as the poster child for the whole steriod era when the Mitchell report which is really just a tiny tip of the ice berg shows that steroid use was pretty rampant.

For me the whole steroid issue with Bonds is less significant than his "me-first" attitude. I don't think I've ever seen another player of his caliber with such a high level of bitterness and disdain as Bonds. I don't blame him soley for the steroid era, but he definitely played a major role and he tainted his career in the process. Nevertheless, his defiant attitude and arrogance has brought more focus and grief upon himself. I don't think it's short-sighted at all to not want this guy on the team, because there is a price to pay for whatever numbers he may (or may not) produce. Let him go to Seattle, or anywhere else but the Yankees. Doesn't Riker's Island have a team?

gK
02-09-08, 04:40 PM
I'm beginning to actually prefer the casual fan over a lot of posters here, who for example, want to sign Barry Bonds for his OBP/OPS.

metalboy15
02-09-08, 05:28 PM
Can he pitch the 8th?

Jace
02-09-08, 05:41 PM
I think the insane media circus from hell (like Arod 2006 but way worse) would make it too annoying, but imagine how well he would do with the Yankee Stadium right field instead of that Pac Bell (or whatever corporate sponsor it has now) cavern in San Fran that takes away like 50% of lefty home runs. If he's healthy all season or fully roided up or whatever he normally is, he'd hit like a billion homers

Fabien Brandy
02-09-08, 07:43 PM
Maybe I'm a sissy but I love seeing Cano and Melky smiling on the field and was happy not only from a talent/money standpoint but also from a fan's perspective that the Santana trade didn't happen so that Hughes, Joba and Kennedy can all be a part of a new tradition that carries over to the new stadium.

Bonds would sour all that for me.

budstinks
02-09-08, 09:17 PM
For me the whole steroid issue with Bonds is less significant than his "me-first" attitude. I don't think I've ever seen another player of his caliber with such a high level of bitterness and disdain as Bonds. I don't blame him soley for the steroid era, but he definitely played a major role and he tainted his career in the process. Nevertheless, his defiant attitude and arrogance has brought more focus and grief upon himself. I don't think it's short-sighted at all to not want this guy on the team, because there is a price to pay for whatever numbers he may (or may not) produce. Let him go to Seattle, or anywhere else but the Yankees. Doesn't Riker's Island have a team?

That is certainly fair reasoning.

budstinks
02-09-08, 09:20 PM
Can he pitch the 8th?

Where exactly is the pitching going to come from?

We passed on the one guy on the market (albeit a starter) that could have made us better.

Some you just better get used to the fact that we are going to battle with a young untested (as of yet) bullpen.

I don't see where signing Bonds is related to the 8th inning at all, other than the fact it may free up a trading chip in order to acquire such player.

budstinks
02-09-08, 09:21 PM
He's not gonna be signed here we need big time pitchers...

That ship has sailed my friend.

metalboy15
02-09-08, 09:26 PM
Where exactly is the pitching going to come from?

We passed on the one guy on the market (albeit a starter) that could have made us better.

Some you just better get used to the fact that we are going to battle with a young untested (as of yet) bullpen.

I don't see where signing Bonds is related to the 8th inning at all, other than the fact it may free up a trading chip in order to acquire such player.
I was just kidding ;).

Matsui-San
02-09-08, 11:24 PM
Not in a million years.

Bonds is both a DH and a huge negative media presence. We need neither.

Hooligan Tavarez
02-09-08, 11:42 PM
What seperates Bonds from Giambi on the steroid issue is not just that Giambi "admitted" it but the fact that everyone hated Barry before the steroid stuff anyways. I don't see how that separates them from eachother. They both did the same thing. You can't dismiss that fact because of feelings before what happened.

Also, Bonds absolutely did not play a major role in the steroid era. If he even did take steroids/HGH, which has never been proven, he played an equal role with every other player that participated. He was just by far the best player that was suspected or caught taking steroids, and one of the 15 greatest players of all-time before 2001, or even 1999.

budstinks
02-10-08, 08:34 AM
I was just kidding ;).

lol, you gotta putta a smiley face or something for us slow learners.

aeromac76
02-10-08, 09:19 AM
I don't see how that separates them from eachother. They both did the same thing. You can't dismiss that fact because of feelings before what happened.

Also, Bonds absolutely did not play a major role in the steroid era. If he even did take steroids/HGH, which has never been proven, he played an equal role with every other player that participated. He was just by far the best player that was suspected or caught taking steroids, and one of the 15 greatest players of all-time before 2001, or even 1999.

Giambi did the "mea culpa" thing. That is what makes them different.
The public made up its minds long ago that both of these men are guilty. Giambi said "you're right, I am stupid, it was dumb, please, can you ever forgive me" in a sincere plea. Most times, the public is sympathetic to that. And before and after, Giambi always is an indulging, heck of a nice guy who is loved throughout baseball. You want this guy to be your next door neighbor.

Bonds has acted defiant from the get go, and has always acted as if he is better than those interviewing him and the fans. He is now under perjury charges and continues to deny everything. The public feels like he is playing them for fools.
And at no time has Bonds ever been an affable a guy or as accessible as Giambi.

They are both guilty, sure, but the similarities end there.,

montrealer
02-11-08, 06:04 AM
Yankee Pinstripes ?................State Prison stripes are more likely...

CyYoung4Vazquez
02-11-08, 10:03 AM
The Yankees are strongly represented Wednesday during the Steroid hearing. Signing Barry Bonds would be a public relations nightmare.

Espinosa's Glasses
02-11-08, 10:55 AM
The Yankees are strongly represented Wednesday during the Steroid hearing. Signing Barry Bonds would be a public relations nightmare.

Yeah. Man, I don't know how you all feel that want to sign him... but I am really truely sick of the bad PR surrounding the Yankees... Its so annoying... while I just want to see some damn baseball...

Plus... another thing... I like rooting for people that I like... I was at the game where Clemens announced his return... and I couldn't be more displeased... cause I didn't like him...

Godspeed
02-11-08, 04:47 PM
Can he pitch the 8th?

Compared to pavano and farnsworth? Like a dream. Plus he can bat. Make it happen, cash!

LovelyLady114
02-12-08, 02:24 PM

^^you got it!
The Yanks are in over their heads with the steroids mess already; bringing in Bonds will break the camel's back. Barry's still a great player, but the constant negative publicity surrounding him is cancerous. The one good thing about the Yanks currently is that there seems to be a positive vibe surrounding the organization.

Besides, the Yankees already have a packed roster. We've had to let some good guys go because we had no room for them (i.e. Phillips, Sardinha, Alphabet Soup). The Yanks don't need more players - we just need the players we have to win.

TEPLimey
02-12-08, 03:16 PM
^^you got it!
The Yanks are in over their heads with the steroids mess already; bringing in Bonds will break the camel's back. Barry's still a great player, but the constant negative publicity surrounding him is cancerous. The one good thing about the Yanks currently is that there seems to be a positive vibe surrounding the organization.

Besides, the Yankees already have a packed roster. We've had to let some good guys go because we had no room for them (i.e. Phillips, Sardinha, Alphabet Soup). The Yanks don't need more players - we just need the players we have to win.
What happens if "the camel's back" is broken? Nothing.

If we can upgrade at a position, I'll take the upgrade. I'll take a "lazy bastid" like Cano of gritty hardworking former football player and media darling David Eckstein any day of the week.

This isn't a popularity contest.

Huktonfonix
02-12-08, 07:22 PM

Speaking of incredibly stupid, do you think maybe Bond's 2002 NLDS/NLCS/WS OPS's of 1.233/1.318/1.994 might be considered "lighting it up"? I don't think one single player has ever carried his team through the postseason like that before or since.

But he doesn't have a ring, because a World Series line of .471/.700/1.294 wasn't good enough.

Huktonfonix
02-12-08, 07:23 PM
What happens if "the camel's back" is broken? Nothing.

If we can upgrade at a position, I'll take the upgrade. I'll take a "lazy bastid" like Cano of gritty hardworking former football player and media darling David Eckstein any day of the week.

This isn't a popularity contest.

Eckstein didn't play football. He might have been used as a kicking tee at some point in his elementary school days...

yankeeman61
02-12-08, 07:26 PM
Speaking of incredibly stupid, do you think maybe Bond's 2002 NLDS/NLCS/WS OPS's of 1.233/1.318/1.994 might be considered "lighting it up"? I don't think one single player has ever carried his team through the postseason like that before or since.

But he doesn't have a ring, because a World Series line of .471/.700/1.294 wasn't good enough.

No doubt the most impressive roid rage in the history of steroid baseball.

Prison Mike
02-20-08, 04:39 PM
If the Yanks struggle early, I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign Bonds. Honestly, I'm starting to warm up to the idea. We're already the most hated team in sports, why not really p*** 'em off?

Vin
02-20-08, 05:47 PM
This topic has been brought up before but I don't mind seeing Bonds in the lineup especially come playoff time when our hitters go cold I can see Bonds helping the team. Bonds is as close to Babe Ruth as you can get.

Realistically, I can see him playing in Oakland though.

Prison Mike
02-20-08, 06:51 PM
This topic has been brought up before but I don't mind seeing Bonds in the lineup especially come playoff time when our hitters go cold I can see Bonds helping the team. Bonds is as close to Babe Ruth as you can get.

Realistically, I can see him playing in Oakland though.

I can only see him playing in Oakland if he signs for next to nothing. Oakland is in total rebuilding mode right now, and adding Bonds for a bunch of cash makes no sense.

Yankee Tripper
02-20-08, 06:58 PM
I really think the team he could help is Seattle. They have Vidro and his empty .300 place holding the DH spot. I mean they added Bedard in a misguided attempt to win the west but did nothing to address their offensive woes except hope that Richie Sexon somehow remembers he supposed to hit 35 HRs and that Adrian Beltre will think it is 2004 again.

On the Yanks barring an injury or two he'd be just another DH option who has no real value in the field. Sure he'd be a good DH option but which contract between Damon, Matsui or Giambi are the Yanks going to eat so they can then pay Barry $8 - $ 12M?

roblyo33
02-20-08, 09:00 PM
I really think the team he could help is Seattle. They have Vidro and his empty .300 place holding the DH spot. I mean they added Bedard in a misguided attempt to win the west but did nothing to address their offensive woes except hope that Richie Sexon somehow remembers he supposed to hit 35 HRs and that Adrian Beltre will think it is 2004 again.

On the Yanks barring an injury or two he'd be just another DH option who has no real value in the field. Sure he'd be a good DH option but which contract between Damon, Matsui or Giambi are the Yanks going to eat so they can then pay Barry $8 - $ 12M?

Yeah, let's sign Bonds and Clemens. They can inject each other, since McNamee isn't around.

Prison Mike
02-20-08, 09:07 PM

Money would not be the reason the Yanks don't sign Bonds.

nyyfanatic85
02-20-08, 09:39 PM
I really like this idea, and wouldn't put it past Hank if the Yankees struggle and/or Bonds clears his indictment charges.

One thing about this acquisition though - It would be a nonstop media feeding frenzy. I bet the thought of Bonds/A-Rod/Jeter makes all the Yankees beat reporters drool like crazy.

JeterRodriguezSheff
02-20-08, 11:44 PM
Id do it if we could somehow get rid of Giambi, **** anybody from the media who doesnt like it. As a DH in our lineup he would wreck.

yanksphan
02-21-08, 06:22 AM
Id do it if we could somehow get rid of Giambi, **** anybody from the media who doesnt like it. As a DH in our lineup he would wreck.

Looks like Giambi's playing 1B this year - it's Matsui that would need to be moved.

nyyfanatic85
02-21-08, 06:57 AM
Looks like Giambi's playing 1B this year - it's Matsui that would need to be moved.

I would take a 43-year-old Bonds over Matsui any day of the week in left field.

JeterRodriguezSheff
02-21-08, 07:08 AM

Will Giambi be able to hold up at first? Id rather he DH and we get somebody who doesnt suck in the field to play first, However if it comes down to it ill take Bonds over Matsui easily, in anything other than an honor contest or a comparison of their porn collections.

TheDynasty26
02-21-08, 07:31 AM
Theres an article on ESPN right now about Aaron Rowand going to the Giants. And how the entire team already feels more together and the atmopshere is much friendlier now that Barry is gone. No more 3 locker sets, with laxy boys and private tvs....

i dont think thats really what the yanks need right now. They finally have chemistry and solid leadership, why screw it up.

apalradio
02-21-08, 07:52 AM
Theres an article on ESPN right now about Aaron Rowand going to the Giants. And how the entire team already feels more together and the atmopshere is much friendlier now that Barry is gone. No more 3 locker sets, with laxy boys and private tvs....

i dont think thats really what the yanks need right now. They finally have chemistry and solid leadership, why screw it up.Whether or not there's chemistry remains to be seen. One thing for sure though, Bonds provides zero leadership and would send the chemistry in the wrong direction. I don't think anyone will give Bonds another job, but for certain - the Yanks must not even give this a passing thought.

budstinks
02-21-08, 09:59 AM

i dont think thats really what the yanks need right now. They finally have chemistry and solid leadership, why screw it up.

Somehow, I don't think the laxyboy & 3 locker sets would be a problem with the Yankees. Cuz it ain't happening.

And I've always thought chemistry is over rated.

Exceeding expectations creates chemistry. Not meeting expectations creates a non-chemic atmosphere.

Barry Bonds in SF is THE star, in NY he's a spare part on a team of stars.

I guess we should just let this thread die, I don't see the Yanks signing Bonds now.

Prison Mike
02-21-08, 10:29 AM

That may be true- but the Giants are going to suck either way. Chemistry in baseball means next to nothing.

JeterRodriguezSheff
02-21-08, 10:37 AM
Whether or not there's chemistry remains to be seen. One thing for sure though, Bonds provides zero leadership and would send the chemistry in the wrong direction. I don't think anyone will give Bonds another job, but for certain - the Yanks must not even give this a passing thought.

Chemistry comes out easier when you win at least 90 games a season, instead of being the San Fran Giants. Bonds carried the Giants through the playoffs when the team was actually good.

kan_t
02-21-08, 01:52 PM
I hate Bonds. However, if he can greatly improve our chance to win the WS, I have no problem to see him in pinstripes.

And he can greatly improve our chance to win it all.

yankeeman61
02-21-08, 04:10 PM
Just a question for those in the camp for signing Bonds:

Is there anything in a player's character, or in his actions (on or off the field) that would prevent you from wanting to sign him, or are individual statistics all that matters to you?

I'm not being a smartass. It's a serious question because even some who "hate" or "can't stand" Bonds seem willing to tolerate him. I would just like to know if you have limitations?

Yankee Tripper
02-21-08, 06:21 PM

Is there anything in a player's character, or in his actions (on or off the field) that would prevent you from wanting to sign him, or are individual statistics all that matters to you?

I'm not being a smartass. It's a serious question because even some who "hate" or "can't stand" Bonds seem willing to tolerate him. I would just like to know if you have limitations?
I'd rather have Bonds than a wife beater, manslauterer or murderer.

I'm in the can't stand him camp but would welcome him the same way I did Wade Boggs, Roger Clemens or a bunch of other jack-asses I couldn't stand when they weren't in pinstripes.

jcarey
02-21-08, 06:32 PM
Yeah. Man, I don't know how you all feel that want to sign him... but I am really truely sick of the bad PR surrounding the Yankees... Its so annoying... while I just want to see some damn baseball...

Plus... another thing... I like rooting for people that I like... I was at the game where Clemens announced his return... and I couldn't be more displeased... cause I didn't like him...

Me too! At least you got to see Proctor try to take on the entire Seattle Mariners team...

budstinks
02-21-08, 08:22 PM

Being a horse's arse to a bunch of reporters is not one of them. I mean really, he is one of the worst, but if you won't sign a guy because he is a horse's arse, than you probably wouldn't sign most of the stars in ML baseball. Most players aren't horse's arses to reporters ONLY because they don't want to get ripped and because writer's vote for the Hall of Fame.

If you are not going to sign Barry Bonds because of Steroids/PED's/etc. then you are not going to sign 40% of the players out there. Throw in amphetimines, illegal no doze type drugs, etc., you're down to a 20% pool.

Hell, lets cut half our team or at least those that can be proven.

I think most of you haters are beyond Mayberry Naive. Randy Johnson is a horse's arse, Roger Clemens, etc. 1/2 the players in baseball are egomaniacs. Ask their wives. Ask their agents. WATCH THEM CLOSELY. Wade Boggs was a gigantic butt head.

Lying to Congress? Hell half the country would vote for Bill Clinton today if he was eligible.

So what the heck is your reasoning for not wanting to sign the greatest baseball player of this era?

The press with his assistance has made him out to be the devil?

I mean really, who really gave a crap that he had a tv in his locker. Do you think he blocked it off so no other player could watch it.

Screw you Cain, you gave up a dinger, NO TV FOR YOU.

I certainly wouldn't want a thief or murderer on my team. But I think you'd be surprised also at the number of wife beaters, although I wouldn't want them either.

yankeeman61
02-21-08, 09:19 PM
Being a horse's arse to a bunch of reporters is not one of them. I mean really, he is one of the worst, but if you won't sign a guy because he is a horse's arse, than you probably wouldn't sign most of the stars in ML baseball. Most players aren't horse's arses to reporters ONLY because they don't want to get ripped and because writer's vote for the Hall of Fame.

If you are not going to sign Barry Bonds because of Steroids/PED's/etc. then you are not going to sign 40% of the players out there. Throw in amphetimines, illegal no doze type drugs, etc., you're down to a 20% pool.

Hell, lets cut half our team or at least those that can be proven.

I think most of you haters are beyond Mayberry Naive. Randy Johnson is a horse's arse, Roger Clemens, etc. 1/2 the players in baseball are egomaniacs. Ask their wives. Ask their agents. WATCH THEM CLOSELY. Wade Boggs was a gigantic butt head.

Lying to Congress? Hell half the country would vote for Bill Clinton today if he was eligible.

So what the heck is your reasoning for not wanting to sign the greatest baseball player of this era?

The press with his assistance has made him out to be the devil?

I mean really, who really gave a crap that he had a tv in his locker. Do you think he blocked it off so no other player could watch it.

Screw you Cain, you gave up a dinger, NO TV FOR YOU.

I certainly wouldn't want a thief or murderer on my team. But I think you'd be surprised also at the number of wife beaters, although I wouldn't want them either.

Several reasons:

1) He is nowhere near the hitter he was during his "peak" PED years He tainted his own credibility, therefore he is not the greatest player of this era IMO. He is the poster child for the most questionable period in baseball history.
2) His body is breaking down as it would have naturally years ago and he will no longer be getting assisted health.
3) He never was much of a fielder and is less than that now, so it would be another DH the Yankees don't need.
4) He is the ultimate all -time "me-first" player. Is that the philosophy the Yankees should adopt? No.
5) The fact that he is so abrasive with the media makes him a terrible fit in NY. His teammates don't need be subjected to having to answer questions he refuses to answer or responding to questions surrounding him. The team should be focused on winning games, not whether or not Bonds is going to jail.
6) He may be going to jail so why bother? If the Yanks sign him then he goes to jail he will be known as Barry Bonds of the Yankees going to jail. You know that's how it will be portrayed in the media!

That about does it. :)

dkman
02-21-08, 10:07 PM
Several reasons:

1) He is nowhere near the hitter he was during his "peak" PED years He tainted his own credibility, therefore he is not the greatest player of this era IMO. He is the poster child for the most questionable period in baseball history.

He is still a top 5 offensive threat, especially out of the DH spot in Yankee Stadium.

2) His body is breaking down as it would have naturally years ago and he will no longer be getting assisted health.

He played 126 games last year, and that was while he had to play the field. Plus, the Yankee's have no shortage of guys who can fill the DH slot.

3) He never was much of a fielder and is less than that now, so it would be another DH the Yankees don't need.

He would be a better DH though, which would help the team win games.

4) He is the ultimate all -time "me-first" player. Is that the philosophy the Yankees should adopt? No.

Signing one player doesn't signify a change in philosophy.

5) The fact that he is so abrasive with the media makes him a terrible fit in NY. His teammates don't need be subjected to having to answer questions he refuses to answer or responding to questions surrounding him. The team should be focused on winning games, not whether or not Bonds is going to jail.

I don't care what kind of questions DJ or anyone else has to answer, they make plenty of money in part to do that. and I'm pretty sure no one is thinking about the Barry Bonds when they are hitting and fielding.

6) He may be going to jail so why bother? If the Yanks sign him then he goes to jail he will be known as Barry Bonds of the Yankees going to jail. You know that's how it will be portrayed in the media!

Who cares about the media.?

too short this message is.

teknetic
02-21-08, 11:44 PM

He's already playing third base for us.

Godden
02-22-08, 01:29 AM
i think bonds would hit a lot more HR being in the yankees stadium.
his OBP is .480 not to mention our right field pole is just merely over 300?

and at 340 at bats he blasted 28 HR
a-rod had around 540 at bats with 54HR
and bonds only played 126 games.
given 30 more as DH
i think he'll easily has 40+ HR
that'll give yankees 2 offensive guy with 40+HR
+ assuming if giambi is still in the line up at 1B
thats a 40,50,30 HR threat..

BobbyMurcerFan
02-22-08, 01:38 AM
Roger put an end to any thoughts of signing Barry.

budstinks
02-22-08, 06:40 AM
Several reasons:

You know, on the field, i don't see it. The guy played hurt. The guy, even in the midst of the all-time HR chase didn't expand his hitting zone, instead took the walks because it helped the team.

He could have swung at A LOT of close pitches and would probably have 800 HR's now. But the OB % helped the team over those years.

So what exactly on the field made him the ultimate all-time "me first" player. Cuz I don't see it.

budstinks
02-22-08, 06:47 AM
He's already playing third base for us.

AROD can only DREAM of having a career OPS of 1.051.

Last year was the FIRST TIME EVER that Alex had a season higher than 1.051.

So keep on dreaming.

yankeeman61
02-22-08, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by yankeeman61
Several reasons:

He is still a top 5 offensive threat, especially out of the DH spot in Yankee Stadium.

The Yanks already have Matsui, Giambi, Duncan and Damon rotating through the DH slot. There is no need and based on last year I don't know how you could consider Bonds in the top 5 anymore, unless you consider him as good as ARod, Pujols, Howard, Cabrera, Fielder, Ortiz, Ramirez and about 20 others.

He played 126 games last year, and that was while he had to play the field. Plus, the Yankee's have no shortage of guys who can fill the DH slot.

That's my point

He would be a better DH though, which would help the team win games.

Once again, the Yanks have "plenty" of worthy DH's to help the team win games.

Signing one player doesn't signify a change in philosophy.

I don't care what kind of questions DJ or anyone else has to answer, they make plenty of money in part to do that. and I'm pretty sure no one is thinking about the Barry Bonds when they are hitting and fielding.

You may not care, but teammates get tired of having to speak for others. Didn't we see this affect in ARod's 2006 season? What's more important as far as the media affect, the fans' perpective or the players on the team?

Who cares about the media.?

The lesser part of this is having to hear the amount of incremental crap from opposing fans. Yeah you can take the "who cares" approach but who needs it, really? The larger part is the relentless badgering of the other players on the team which could have a negative affect. Bonds is simply not worth it, period. As a lifelong Yankee fan I really don't want this guy and his tainted legacy to be a part of Yankee history.

apalradio
02-22-08, 09:55 AM
It's amazing that this thread remains active. This is simply not going to happen.

teknetic
02-22-08, 12:52 PM
AROD can only DREAM of having a career OPS of 1.051.

Last year was the FIRST TIME EVER that Alex had a season higher than 1.051.

So keep on dreaming.

Take things MORE seriously NEXT time (caps and bold for major emphasis because its cool) Hilarious how you tell someone else to keep dreaming when you want Bonds in pinstripes.

R.V.47
02-22-08, 01:21 PM
Look at the media fallout of A-Rod just saying something about steroids and testing. Now imagine what it would be like with Bonds on the team.

yanksphan
02-22-08, 01:38 PM
It's amazing that this thread remains active. This is simply not going to happen.

I don't think many of the threads on this board have any influence on what the Yankees do/don't do.

Godden
02-22-08, 02:14 PM
in bonds best season
his OPS is 1.421

thats a tought stat to beat even in videogames

Game4Tino
02-22-08, 04:04 PM
I don't think many of the threads on this board have any influence on what the Yankees do/don't do.

And yet, the Superbowl thread obviously spurred the Giants on to VICTORY!!! :D

edwardthomas34
02-22-08, 11:45 PM
in bonds best season
his OPS is 1.421

thats a tought stat to beat even in videogames
Thanks to some help.

budstinks
02-23-08, 05:20 AM
Take things MORE seriously NEXT time (caps and bold for major emphasis because its cool) Hilarious how you tell someone else to keep dreaming when you want Bonds in pinstripes.

lol, I don't even know if I want Bonds on my team. But the best reason anyone can really give is "we'll because he is a jerk steroid liar butthead."

I told you to keep dreaming if you think arod can carry Bonds statistical jockstrap (as the best hitter for this era). Because he cant'.

I love Arod as a Yank and am very happy the Yanks resigned him, but Barry Bonds is the freak of statistical nature that I WISH Arod would become.

Posting on messages boards IS serious business! :2thumbs:

BennyTheJetRodriguez
02-23-08, 07:43 AM
Several reasons:

That about does it. :)Other than him possibly going to jail none of those reasons involve how he will effect the Yankees on the field. "nowhere near the player he was during his peak" is hysterical. So in other words, you don't want one of the best hitters in baseball because he is no longer the undisputed best hitter of all time?

Saying he is the DH the Yankees don't need is puzzling too. We don't need Bonds(170 OPS+), Because we have Matsui(123 OPS+)? Really? Thats like saying we don't need Mark Texiera(150 OPS+) because we have Wilson Betemit (101 OPS+). Its literally the same difference between the two figures,

Bottom line is, if Bonds was the Yankees DH this past season A-Rod would have knocked in like 180 runs (assuming Bonds would have hit third. With Torre you never know he might have hit 7th). Reporters don't like him, fans don't like him, his mother may not like him, who cares? Its nice to "not have distractions", but its nicer to have a .480 OBP on in front of A-Rod, not to mention behind Jeter and Damon.

As a DH the fielding and "me first attitude" mean very little. Also Matsui(who I do like, I hope this isn't construed as me disliking him) is a butcher in LF too, as is Manny Ramirez, whom I bring up because at this stage Bonds is basically a left handed Manny.

Look I don't want Bonds either, but at least I can admit its ONLY because I don't like him. I'm just glad that the whole jail thing has made him coming here impossible, and thus something I don't have to worry about, because how could I argue with the Yankees signing Bonds and trading Matsui for an upgrade somewhere else or good prospects? I couldn't, no matter how much I hate Bonds.

Game4Tino
02-23-08, 09:18 AM
Other than him possibly going to jail none of those reasons involve how he will effect the Yankees on the field. "nowhere near the player he was during his peak" is hysterical. So in other words, you don't want one of the best hitters in baseball because he is no longer the undisputed best hitter of all time?

Saying he is the DH the Yankees don't need is puzzling too. We don't need Bonds(170 OPS+), Because we have Matsui(123 OPS+)? Really? Thats like saying we don't need Mark Texiera(150 OPS+) because we have Wilson Betemit (101 OPS+). Its literally the same difference between the two figures,

Bottom line is, if Bonds was the Yankees DH this past season A-Rod would have knocked in like 180 runs (assuming Bonds would have hit third. With Torre you never know he might have hit 7th). Reporters don't like him, fans don't like him, his mother may not like him, who cares? Its nice to "not have distractions", but its nicer to have a .480 OBP on in front of A-Rod, not to mention behind Jeter and Damon.

As a DH the fielding and "me first attitude" mean very little. Also Matsui(who I do like, I hope this isn't construed as me disliking him) is a butcher in LF too, as is Manny Ramirez, whom I bring up because at this stage Bonds is basically a left handed Manny.

Look I don't want Bonds either, but at least I can admit its ONLY because I don't like him. I'm just glad that the whole jail thing has made him coming here impossible, and thus something I don't have to worry about, because how could I argue with the Yankees signing Bonds and trading Matsui for an upgrade somewhere else or good prospects? I couldn't, no matter how much I hate Bonds.

I have to disagree with your assesment of Ramirez in left. There was a time when he was really bad, but he has made great strides in the past couple of seasons. He is nowhere near as bad and Bonds or Matsui.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
02-23-08, 11:27 AM
I have to disagree with your assesment of Ramirez in left. There was a time when he was really bad, but he has made great strides in the past couple of seasons. He is nowhere near as bad and Bonds or Matsui.
He can throw thats about it. Although I agree, he's probably better than the other two.

longtimeyankeefan
02-23-08, 02:29 PM
I love Arod as a Yank and am very happy the Yanks resigned him, but Barry Bonds is the freak of statistical nature that I WISH Arod would become.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Barry Bonds is a statistical freak, but it sure as heck ain't natural.

JeterRodriguezSheff
02-23-08, 02:38 PM
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Barry Bonds is a statistical freak, but it sure as heck ain't natural.

And neither are most of the players in the game.

I think people who dont want to sign him, dont really care that he is an ass. They care about what other people and the media will say about the Yankees. Most of us loved Sheffield until he was traded for example, and he is basically Bonds lite. Its the same thing with payroll, people care what others think about them i suppose.

I personally, let the media and people who were going to hate on us regardless say whatever they want. If it helps us bring back a championship I dont care.

Yankee Tripper
02-23-08, 06:14 PM
Manny gloves of stone ranked as the worst left fielder last year. And that cut off he made a few years ago still ranks as one of my favorite all time highlight plays.

False1
02-23-08, 08:08 PM
Saying he is the DH the Yankees don't need is puzzling too. We don't need Bonds(170 OPS+), Because we have Matsui(123 OPS+)? Really? Thats like saying we don't need Mark Texiera(150 OPS+) because we have Wilson Betemit (101 OPS+). Its literally the same difference between the two figuresAlthough a) I can't stand Bonds, b) I think it's unlikely he'll reproduce a 170 OPS+ and c) I'd throw up a little in my mouth if they signed, him... this is a very good point by BTJR.

dkman
02-23-08, 11:02 PM
Other than him possibly going to jail none of those reasons involve how he will effect the Yankees on the field. "nowhere near the player he was during his peak" is hysterical. So in other words, you don't want one of the best hitters in baseball because he is no longer the undisputed best hitter of all time?

You pretty much summed up my opinion perfectly as well. Bonds/A-Rod would be an unmatched jugernaut that would be hard to pass up, they could hit 90 homers combined. But it still makes me quesy.

Godden
02-24-08, 04:11 AM
what makes bonds good in NY is not just his ability to hit HR.
his last year's OPB was 48%
if he bats in front of A-Rod and behind jeter
he has like 48% + to move jeter to 2nd or 3rd base (or score) which makes the line up much deadlier with A-Rod and matsui batting 4th or 5th

gadvfreak99
02-25-08, 09:43 AM
He definaltly brings too much baggage to the table. I would say No.

Vin
02-25-08, 07:35 PM
I can only see him playing in Oakland if he signs for next to nothing. Oakland is in total rebuilding mode right now, and adding Bonds for a bunch of cash makes no sense.

Just read on another thread that Bonds may go to the D-Rays. And it's looking to be a very good lineup with their young hitters.

JfromJersey
02-26-08, 11:48 AM
Like the Yankees don't have enough PED crap to deal with already..

Yankees13
02-26-08, 02:00 PM
If we didn't have such a logjam at LF/DH/1B I'd consider it. 2 of the 10 best players ever in the same lineup? We'd score 1100 runs. But it's not going to happen for obvious reasons.

Kbar13
02-26-08, 07:43 PM
I agree to yankeeman and his many reasons...
Bonds is an old man...

also, yanks dont really need him as much, b/c we already have a good outfield, and there's no space left in the infield obviously....
Unless he wants to pitch lol

ShaneTravis
02-27-08, 09:29 AM
The argument of we have too many players and not enough room for Bonds is too extreme.

Bonds pushes every single player out of the way offensively on this team. If he replaced Damon,Giambi,Matsui....doesn't matter what his defense is. He will outproduce all of them.

And the one in a million chance Cashman called Boras to ask about Barry would mean a trade was discussed to ship Matsui of here.

THEBOSS84
02-27-08, 09:33 AM
The ideal situation would be to trade Matsui once he shows in ST that he is healthy. Then sign Bonds to be the full time DH. Our offense would be off the charts good.

a-RobinsonCano-Fan
02-27-08, 10:32 AM
why is this Barry Bonds thread still going...

THEBOSS84
02-27-08, 10:58 AM
Bonds' numbers according to various projections:

Bill James .284/.491/.588
CHONE: .272/.446/.558
Marcel: .257/.421/.488
ZiPS: .256/.456/.518
PECOTA: .235/.387/.447

YASS
02-27-08, 12:23 PM
Bonds' numbers according to various projections:

Bill James .284/.491/.588
CHONE: .272/.446/.558
Marcel: .257/.421/.488
ZiPS: .256/.456/.518
PECOTA: .235/.387/.447
Wow. PECOTA is a real outlier there. Only .387 OBP?

Kbar13
02-27-08, 06:56 PM
The ideal situation would be to trade Matsui once he shows in ST that he is healthy. Then sign Bonds to be the full time DH. Our offense would be off the charts good.

That's good, but I would rather keep Matsui, as he is also clutch, is a smart runner, pretty good outfielder, and is not roided

DisabledMess
02-27-08, 07:27 PM
If Bonds stopped taking steroids, his production would go way down especially now that he's older. That's a double whammy right there. Even if he still took steroids, wouldn't he get hurt more often?

YASS
02-27-08, 08:06 PM
That's good, but I would rather keep Matsui, as he is also clutch, is a smart runner, pretty good outfielder, and is not roided
That may be the first time I've ever seen anyone call Gojira a "pretty good outfielder".

Kbar13
02-27-08, 08:27 PM
That may be the first time I've ever seen anyone call Gojira a "pretty good outfielder".

a little under-praised I did.....
but anyways... Bond is as the guy a few replies up said, old and thus prone to injury.
therefore this suggestion doesn't make much sense

YASS
02-27-08, 08:36 PM
a little under-praised I did.....
but anyways... Bond is as the guy a few replies up said, old and thus prone to injury.
therefore this suggestion doesn't make much sense
Well, I wasn't concerned that you had underpraised his defensive play.

Don't get me wrong. I like Matsui. I think he's a horse.

But he's not a good outfielder. He's not Manny-bad, but he's pretty bad.

Kbar13
02-27-08, 11:30 PM
Well, I wasn't concerned that you had underpraised his defensive play.

Don't get me wrong. I like Matsui. I think he's a horse.

But he's not a good outfielder. He's not Manny-bad, but he's pretty bad.
He's definitely better than what you said...
Comparing him to the Uber-Lazy-poopieface was not exactly the best thing, either

YASS
02-28-08, 06:03 AM
He's definitely better than what you said...
Comparing him to the Uber-Lazy-poopieface was not exactly the best thing, either
The same defensive study (http://stat.wharton.upenn.edu/~stjensen/research/safe.html) that's being debated in ITL ranked Matsui as the 5th worst left fielder in MLB, only about a run better than Manny Ramirez.

Kbar13
02-28-08, 06:22 PM
It is true that Matsui did not do so well last season, producing most of his HRs in July+June and very little later on, but his bum knee may be part of the reason for that.

However, I now realize that Bond would be a great help to the Yankees. Even though he is 40+ and is PEDed up, he's a HR/RBI machine, and he's a pretty good runner too... the problem would probably be in getting him...

Kbar13
02-28-08, 06:43 PM
The same defensive study (http://stat.wharton.upenn.edu/~stjensen/research/safe.html) that's being debated in ITL ranked Matsui as the 5th worst left fielder in MLB, only about a run better than Manny Ramirez.

Aye, Matsui is not one acquired for his defensive capabilities...
However, remember that he was pretty clutch offensively in the beginning when the Yankees were kinda slow off the start.

But if we were to get Bonds for Matsui, I think it would be a great idea.
However, what I meant by the thing about Manny is the manner with which they conduct themselves both on and off the field. Manny doesn't give any effort at all. Look at his lazy sidearm, and how he stands there for like 20 min after hitting anything, and watches it, even if it is an infield whatever.
Then look at Matsui.

Vin
02-28-08, 09:30 PM

Must be based on a highly sophisticated stat system known by veterans here as the Win-Method... ;)

Joe159
02-29-08, 10:13 PM
Aye, Matsui is not one acquired for his defensive capabilities...
However, remember that he was pretty clutch offensively in the beginning when the Yankees were kinda slow off the start.

But if we were to get Bonds for Matsui, I think it would be a great idea.
However, what I meant by the thing about Manny is the manner with which they conduct themselves both on and off the field. Manny doesn't give any effort at all. Look at his lazy sidearm, and how he stands there for like 20 min after hitting anything, and watches it, even if it is an infield whatever.
Then look at Matsui.

Manny's sidearm in from the outfield has never really bothered me - I find it much more amusing when he makes a routine play look nearly impossible, and is then praised for making a sliding play on a ball that Matsui would've just settled under.

I know Bonds is a tool, but let's be honest - signing him would give the Yankees an unmatched on-field boost. Imagine the Yankees lineup if Damon and Giambi show they're at least bearable in CF and at 1B, and the Yankees sign Bonds to DH with Matsui in left. You'd have one of Matsui or Abreu hitting NINTH. That kind of lineup is just not fair, and that's why I'd be ok with the Yankees picking up Barry.

#42bnessing
02-29-08, 11:38 PM
barry bonds in a yankees uniform
left feild porch
dh role
i see could see that happening

Godspeed
03-01-08, 12:14 AM
Barry is old. He isn't taking PED's anymore. he is dealing with the law on the side.
He is going to suck this year. I'm calling it now.

Kbar13
03-01-08, 10:43 AM
barry bonds in a yankees uniform
left feild porch
dh role
i see could see that happening

your little dancing animation thing is so addicting... lol

Kbar13
03-01-08, 10:45 AM
Manny's sidearm in from the outfield has never really bothered me - I find it much more amusing when he makes a routine play look nearly impossible, and is then praised for making a sliding play on a ball that Matsui would've just settled under.

I know Bonds is a tool, but let's be honest - signing him would give the Yankees an unmatched on-field boost. Imagine the Yankees lineup if Damon and Giambi show they're at least bearable in CF and at 1B, and the Yankees sign Bonds to DH with Matsui in left. You'd have one of Matsui or Abreu hitting NINTH. That kind of lineup is just not fair, and that's why I'd be ok with the Yankees picking up Barry.

Bonds in DH would be the bomb, as he would only work on his hitting, and thus he would probably not be as bad as you would think this year, with the roids and all that

dont_ya_know24
03-03-08, 02:34 PM
i know that if he's signed by the yankees, they'll get even more heat from the media, and i know that they also have too many DHs as it is, but i'll take a .450 OBP + any day of the week in front of Alex Rodriguez.

dont_ya_know24
03-03-08, 02:34 PM
Bonds in DH would be the bomb, as he would only work on his hitting, and thus he would probably not be as bad as you would think this year, with the roids and all that

jon=nub;)

Kbar13
03-03-08, 02:42 PM
jon=nub;)

unhuh

Kbar13
03-03-08, 02:44 PM
i know that if he's signed by the yankees, they'll get even more heat from the media, and i know that they also have too many DHs as it is, but i'll take a .450 OBP + any day of the week in front of Alex Rodriguez.
Who cares about the media. What, ESPN's gonna say something stupid?

Godden
03-03-08, 05:26 PM
he hit 28 HR in 126 games played.

if he DH full season + yankees RF..
he still has the potential to do 40+

Matsui55
03-03-08, 09:07 PM
Here's a hint guys- have you looked at ARod's new contract?

Remember, the Yanks are going to do revenue sharing with ARod as he approaches Bonds' record. There are 5 separate instances where they will share $6M in revenue from the record chase with him.

Why would the Yanks want to bring in Bonds and have him add to his record so that the Yanks have to pay out that revenue over a longer period of time. The anticipation is that this contract is going to be VERY frontloaded.

Look it up- ARod gets the great majority of the money in the first 6 years of the deal, and then the salaries decline. The Yanks did this intentionally.

ARod is 32 now- after those 6 years of payoffs, he's 38- and entering the downside of his career. Why would the Yanks want to push those $6M paydays into his declining years?

The Yanks want payroll flexibility as ARod ages- when he's 40, they will be paying him $20M per- a long drop from the $33M in 2009 and the $32M in 2010.

If the Yanks bring in Bonds to add to his record, they increase the likelihood that ARod is getting at least one or more of those big checks right at the time they anticipate getting some ARod payroll relief- defeating the purpose of the contract.

ARod has 518 HR entering 2008. Bonds has 762.

ARod will likely average around 40-45 HR for the next 6 years. Assuming 40 HR per, that's 240. 240+518 is 758. In other words, ARod would be very likely to break Bonds' mark sometime in 2014, if Bonds does not add significantly to his total.

It is no coincidence that ARod's salaries fall off dramatically after 2014.

Think about it.

Matsui55
03-03-08, 09:10 PM
Here's a link to ARod's contract (and the rest of the Yanks)

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005_01_03_mlbcontracts_archive.html

THEBOSS84
03-03-08, 09:21 PM
M55, I guess you are assuming that the only team Bonds can play for is the NYY. Should the Yankees lose out on putting the best team on the field NOW, because they MAY owe A-rod an extra $6 mil in 7-10 yrs from now??

Matsui55
03-03-08, 09:57 PM
M55, I guess you are assuming that the only team Bonds can play for is the NYY. Should the Yankees lose out on putting the best team on the field NOW, because they MAY owe A-rod an extra $6 mil in 7-10 yrs from now??

Show me how they are better with Bonds.

Here's my evidence they are not:

1) Matsui, Giambi and Damon all make over $13M in 2008- they are not tradeable at this point because no team can add that much payroll in the spring without breaking their budget. That means one goes to the bench for Bonds. That will help the team come together (sarcasm off).

2) The Yanks outscored EVERY SINGLE TEAM in baseball last year. They add Bonds, say for Matsui- so what. They score a few more runs. Scoring runs isn't the Yanks problem. Pitching is. Unless Bonds suddenly became the lefty reliever the Yanks have been searching for, he does not address any holes.

3) Girardi is replacing Torre- and the NY media didn't like Torre's removal. Girardi will be in a tough spot all year- you think the Yanks FO wants to saddle him with the media using Bonds as a club to beat him with in the back pages regularly?

4) Is Bonds healthy? He had even more knee surgery on a knee that was already bad. Even if he's a DH, can he play more than 130 games, or even be effective in those games on a deteriorating knee?

No, Bonds does not make the Yanks better in 2008.

He also does not help their long term interests. Pass.

THEBOSS84
03-03-08, 10:08 PM
Regardless of whether the Yanks are better with Bonds and his 1.000+ OPS or not, your argument is flawed because you are making it as if the Yanks are the only team that can help him continue on in his career = not true.

Also, I think only point #3 of yours is the only one that holds any water. I don't think the Yanks would have any problem giving Bonds 400 ab's this year. Damon/Matsui/Giambi have been prone to the nagging leg injuries the past few seasons.

Of course Bonds could help. I understand that we outscored everyone last year. Would it really hurt to outscore everyone by MORE? So instead of losing a game 2-1, we win 3-2...oh no.

You are asking if Bonds is healthy coming off knee surgery, yet you have no question about your name-sake's knee status.

Kbar13
03-03-08, 10:13 PM
Regardless of whether the Yanks are better with Bonds and his 1.000+ OPS or not, your argument is flawed because you are making it as if the Yanks are the only team that can help him continue on in his career = not true.

Also, I think only point #3 of yours is the only one that holds any water. I don't think the Yanks would have any problem giving Bonds 400 ab's this year. Damon/Matsui/Giambi have been prone to the nagging leg injuries the past few seasons.

Of course Bonds could help. I understand that we outscored everyone last year. Would it really hurt to outscore everyone by MORE? So instead of losing a game 2-1, we win 3-2...oh no.

You are asking if Bonds is healthy coming off knee surgery, yet you have no question about your name-sake's knee status.
Yes, you are right, but so is M55.

The Yankees can be helped by a few more runs produced, but can be helped even more by a good left-handed reliever. This can ease the load on the offense, and in turn, allow them to get even <b>MORE</b> runs, and thus the bullpen/pitchers are eased, and <b>THEY</b> perform better.

Matsui55
03-04-08, 08:40 PM

Unlike Bonds who has had regular knee problems for four years running- Matsui's injury was a new one. I'll also point out that Matsui is in camp and playing.

Bonds- could he play right now? No one knows.

Your "argument" about 2-1 vs. 3-2 ball games is ridiculous. Bonds isn't going to make more than a game or two of difference by himself- assuming that he was healthy enough to even play.

The question isn't whether the Yanks CAN give Bonds 400 AB's- the question is CAN BONDS play for 400 AB's. He has not put up a good track record over the past 3 years.

Don't need that soap opera.

Stick with the team that got you the BEST RECORD in baseball after the pitching got straightened out in May.

bmxstreetrider86
03-04-08, 09:01 PM
Unlike Bonds who has had regular knee problems for four years running- Matsui's injury was a new one. I'll also point out that Matsui is in camp and playing.

Your "argument" about 2-1 vs. 3-2 ball games is ridiculous. Bonds isn't going to make more than a game or two of difference by himself- assuming that he was healthy enough to even play.

The question isn't whether the Yanks CAN give Bonds 400 AB's- the question is CAN BONDS play for 400 AB's. He has not put up a good track record over the past 3 years.

Stick with the team that got you the BEST RECORD in baseball after the pitching got straightened out in May.

bonds replacing pretty much anyone outside arod will be more than a game or 2 swing, assuming he doesnt play the field

he had a .351 EQA last year, and was 19th in VORP despite only having 477 PA's

cajunyankee
03-06-08, 10:49 AM
Bonds isn't going to make more than a game or two of difference by himself- assuming that he was healthy enough to even play.

What would that have meant in the standings / post-season matchups last year?

ShaneTravis
03-06-08, 11:48 AM

Your points about soap opera, salary that would have to be moved all valid points. But Bonds on any team is way more than a 1-2 game swing.

Latest Goldman bible-

If Bonds has another year in him like last year or the year before (roughly identical seasons), he will make a team six or seven wins better, leaning towards seven if he spends most of his time as the designated hitter.

Jeter
Abreu
Bonds
Arod
Giambi

That first five scores more runs than the O's whole team this year. lol

THEBOSS84
03-06-08, 11:55 AM

Interesting - you touched on all my points except for my main one which stated

"Regardless of whether the Yanks are better with Bonds and his 1.000+ OPS or not, your argument is flawed because you are making it as if the Yanks are the only team that can help him continue on in his career = not true."

Matsui55
03-06-08, 09:02 PM
Interesting - you touched on all my points except for my main one which stated

"Regardless of whether the Yanks are better with Bonds and his 1.000+ OPS or not, your argument is flawed because you are making it as if the Yanks are the only team that can help him continue on in his career = not true."

Yet, you are the one pushing for Bonds on the Yanks...

Nonetheless, unless your team is in last place on June 1, and you need a reason to get fans to come to the park (are you listening Baltimore?), there is no logical reason for any team to sign him with the negative publicity and stigma that steroids imprints on the public image of your club.

In other words, unless Baltimore gets desperate for a gate draw (or the Giants have trouble filling their park again), not gonna happen.

Matsui55
03-06-08, 09:03 PM

Was he available last year?

No.

Next.

Matsui55
03-06-08, 09:06 PM
bonds replacing pretty much anyone outside arod will be more than a game or 2 swing, assuming he doesnt play the field

he had a .351 EQA last year, and was 19th in VORP despite only having 477 PA's

Again.

I have no idea of how to make people listen to this:

IS HE HEALTHY?

You can find any sabermetric number you like- but every single one of them will be useless UNLESS Bonds is healthy.

That knee just had more work done on it- and it was supposedly bone one bone 3 years ago.

Just go back and look at 2005 to see how much of a difference Bonds makes when his knee isn't right.

sweet_lou_14
03-06-08, 10:43 PM
Oh my God there are still people who want Bonds on this team?

Hasn't the Clemens fiasco caused enough embarrassment? Or (assuming Bonds is even capable of a 1.000 OPS like some in this thread are saying) do you really want the Yankees to run their organization like it's rotisserie league with no regard whatsoever for the baggage this guy would bring?

dkman
03-07-08, 11:34 AM
Oh my God there are still people who want Bonds on this team?

Hasn't the Clemens fiasco caused enough embarrassment? Or (assuming Bonds is even capable of a 1.000 OPS like some in this thread are saying) do you really want the Yankees to run their organization like it's rotisserie league with no regard whatsoever for the baggage this guy would bring?

If we get the rotisserie World series trophy? Sure.

Nova1
03-08-08, 11:05 AM
Was the original poster got what was coming to him? Was he heckled at least?

BennyTheJetRodriguez
03-08-08, 05:45 PM
there is no logical reason for any team to sign him with the negative publicity and stigma that steroids imprints on the public image of your club.You mean other than improving the offensive production of your team? I don't get it. Its so easy to just say "I don't want X player on my team because I don't like him." Yet people still insist on equating popularity and likeability with productivity.

Ok, I'll start. I never wanted Pedro Martinez to be a Yankee because I didn't like him. I understand that he is probably the best pitcher I have ever seen, but I just don't like him.

conversely

I was one of the people who didn't want Mattingly or Bernie to retire when it was clear they should. Its just how I feel.

See it really isn't that hard. Players like Manny Ramirez, Armando Benitez, Roger Clemens, and yes, for a short time even John Rocker:eek: help teams win despite the fact that they are assholes. Players like Bubba Crosby, Miguel Cairo, Darren Erstad... help teams lose despite the fact that they are great guys that are fun to root for. Its a fact of life.

EyeSpie
03-08-08, 08:48 PM
Offense isn't an issue. I'd rather work toward a more stable 1B situation and more pitching.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
03-08-08, 08:59 PM
Offense isn't an issue. I'd rather work toward a more stable 1B situation and more pitching.Bonds wouldn't hurt the pitching or 1B situation and would not stop the Yankees from upgrading at either spot. Look, I don't want him either, but I'm willing to admit that it is 100% because I don't like him.

budstinks
03-09-08, 12:29 AM
Was the original poster got what was coming to him? Was he heckled at least?

I feel tickled. Not really heckled.

Probably should have been tar and feathered for starting this.

:P

I did add Bonds to my fantasy roster, just in case some one picked him up.

Penny Lane
03-09-08, 08:45 AM
Look, I don't want him either, but I'm willing to admit that it is 100% because I don't like him.
You make a good point and I've always suspected that it applies to sports teams, too. It's nice to say that the only thing that matters is what a player produces on the field, but I wonder how much Bonds' attitude and selfishness might have infected the Giants. You would have to be in the clubhouse every day to know for sure, but an item in this week's Sports Illustrated talks about how the morale of the whole team is improved now that Bonds is gone.

In Barry Bonds, you've got a guy who cares only about himself. How many times have we read about instances in which a teammate would speak to him and he would walk away without answering?

Wonder how that would play on the Yankees.

yankeeman61
03-09-08, 09:43 AM

Considering the way the Yankee pitching was knocked around against Cleveland, absolutely no difference.

I'll pass.....again

primetime714
03-09-08, 10:38 AM
It should tell you something when teams that could actually really use him have no interest in the guy. I mean look at the Giants they are team with no source of income and no offense who was ecstatic to be rid of him after he broke the record and Bonds was actually pretty well liked in San Francisco, so he still would've brought people into the park even though the record was broken.

For the sake of argument maybe NL teams feel he isn't healthy enough to play the field so they're not interested. Looking at AL Seattle just significantly upgraded their pitching and is looking to compete with the Angels for the AL West. Their offense however is still weak and they have Jose Vidro as their DH. Bonds would be the perfect solution to their offensive woes, but to date they have shown no interest.

PJMPirate
03-10-08, 02:57 PM
If we get the rotisserie World series trophy? Sure.

I'd rather miss the playoffs than have Bonds in pinstripes.

NewEraYanks2527
03-12-08, 10:43 AM
What an end to the Home Run King's career, can't even get a contract. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

buntsalot2
03-12-08, 06:44 PM
well, Al Davis used to win AFL championships with just such jerks. that being said, I would support an incentive laden contract... one that would evaporate should Bare be led away in shackels. Tell me this doubters, do you truly believe the rest of the 40 man roster is a holy choir??? His personality sucks. But, his production is still remarkable. With Matsui and Jason looking burnt out, their magic is possibly worn out. We still need a 25 - 35 HR guy there to combat our own pitching shortfalls and to give us legit comeback power in every game. Sign Bare.

nicastro130
03-13-08, 08:39 AM
I love Barry, and I would love to see him in pinstripes.

steroids or not... hes a tremendous athlete!:D

goin for 27
03-19-08, 02:02 PM
What an end to the Home Run King's career, can't even get a contract. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

I just pray that the Yanks get out very quickly this year. I fear a slow start like last year, and Hank pulling the trigger on Bonds....

DJ27
03-19-08, 02:18 PM
Isn't there a good possibility Bonds might be in jail by midseason?

J Pold
03-19-08, 02:54 PM
Isn't there a good possibility Bonds might be in jail by midseason?
Yup

4 counts of perjury

1 count of obscuration of justice

No team has even made an offer for him

Which says a lot more than any reason why we should sign him

PJMPirate
03-21-08, 06:30 PM
Bonds' perjury case has been delayed. The prosecution is seeking a new indictment and that means he likely won't be tried until 2009.

Will this prompt someone to give him a deal?

johnmvp
03-22-08, 01:43 AM
Mariners front office just said "No. No. No." about acquiring Bonds, I just wrote an article about it. Read up.

Tyler Durden
03-22-08, 02:23 AM
Under any other set of circumstances, Bonds' greatest appeal would be as a marketing pawn for a small market team to help sell tickets to fans that want a chance to see the 'All-Time Homerun King' in person before he retires. But due to circumstances that we as baseball fans have become all too familiar with, it shouldn't come as a surprise that no one in MLB wants any part of Bonds or the circus that surrounds him. Without the perceived purity of his record, Bonds simply becomes a 44 year old DH in the eyes of GMs. How many teams today could use one of those?

johnmvp
03-22-08, 02:26 AM
cough, d-rays.

nnysiny
03-22-08, 08:46 AM
cough, d-rays.
i still dont know why they havent signed him yet

johnmvp
03-22-08, 12:30 PM
Possibly don't want his ego and off field detractions to hurt their young talent.. a lot of great young players in Tampa right now that Bonds could destroy.

dkman
03-22-08, 01:28 PM
Possibly don't want his ego and off field detractions to hurt their young talent.. a lot of great young players in Tampa right now that Bonds could destroy.

I doubt Bonds could do any real damage to the development of the young players. If anything, they could learn plenty from him. He has one of the best swings of all time and he's certainly knowledgable about nutrition and conditioning. You may laugh about that last sentence but do you really think after all that he's gone through, Bonds is going to start blabbering about performance enhancing drugs to his teammates? Highly unlikely. As for the media coverage, it calmed down after Bonds broke the record and it certainly would calm down after moving to a team like the Rays. (Not that some publicity for the Rays would be a bad thing.)

I haven't even mentioned the fact that Bonds hitting third or fourth would make their lineup and immediate force and would greatly enhance what kind of pitches their young hitters see around him.

Because I'm a Yankee fan, I'm glad Bonds hasn't been signed by the Rays. But if I was a Rays fan I'd be pissed. I'ts not like they have some storied legacy to protect.

johnmvp
03-22-08, 05:30 PM
I agree with many of your points but I still do believe wherever he is signed, if at all, you will just be bring in a circus into town.

YASS
03-22-08, 05:52 PM
I agree with many of your points but I still do believe wherever he is signed, if at all, you will just be bring in a circus into town.
People will generally show up to see a good circus. Tampa Bay's attendance would benefit from a nice big top event.

budstinks
03-22-08, 06:47 PM
People will generally show up to see a good circus. Tampa Bay's attendance would benefit from a nice big top event.

No doubt, he'd probably draw 3-4,000 extra season tickets.

That'd be a 20% increase over last year.

The Rays are the perfect fit. I think they are just waiting til his price is $3-4 mil.

YASS
03-22-08, 10:01 PM
No doubt, he'd probably draw 3-4,000 extra season tickets.

That'd be a 20% increase over last year.

The Rays are the perfect fit. I think they are just waiting til his price is $3-4 mil.
I don't know what I'll do if it ever gets to be tough to find a Rays ticket. That's about the only place I get to see games anymore.

johnmvp
03-22-08, 10:26 PM
How much do Rays tickets cost? I live near Houston and the Astros tickets are dirt cheap. You can sit down by the field for as low as $50.

YASS
03-23-08, 02:41 AM
How much do Rays tickets cost? I live near Houston and the Astros tickets are dirt cheap. You can sit down by the field for as low as $50.
They run the gamut. They're not crazy cheap, but you can get outfield tickets for $20 (or $10 for less popular games) up to cushy seats right behind the plate for $250.

I generally get loge level seats on the third base line for $45 each.

johnmvp
03-23-08, 03:36 AM
They run the gamut. They're not crazy cheap, but you can get outfield tickets for $20 (or $10 for less popular games) up to cushy seats right behind the plate for $250.

I generally get loge level seats on the third base line for $45 each.

Rays ticket prices are high even compared to the stros games lol

CyYoung4Vazquez
04-29-08, 09:39 PM
I'm starting to think the Yankees should think about signing Bonds. Never thought I would say this but he may help this team. Without Jorge the Yankees have some huge holes. Why not "Frank Thomas" Giambi and sign Bonds.

Epy7280
04-30-08, 09:02 PM
at this point i wouldn't mind..

Retire21
04-30-08, 09:15 PM
I never thought I would say this, but if this continues through the week, I would think it would, at the very least, have to be considered. If he's willing to a take a lower salary, it might make sense. If they decide to kick the tires, I would hope someone from the organization would at least meet face-to-face with Bonds to see what kind of shape he is in. According to his agent (gag), he's stayed in shape and is waiting by the phone for a call. I don't know if I believe that, but you don't want to sign a 40-something hitter who didn't have a Spring Training and has been sitting at home putting on more weight, in addition to all the negative media attention he would bring, if he can't get it done anymore.

Jallen02
07-25-08, 11:27 AM
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080725&content_id=3191491&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

I don't know if anyoen else posted this, i didn't feel like reading through 200+ posts.

The link says the yanks at least talked about it, but I don't know why.

I remember the Raul Mondesi thing, i don't know all the details, but i think it went something like this.

Yankees take mondesi out in 5th(ish) inning of a game.
Mondesi gets pissed.
Mondesi takes his stuff and leaves.
Mondesi is traded/released. (can't remember which)

My point is, the yankees don't stand for that kind of stuff, why would they allow someone who is that deep in the steroids issue to be on the team?

I think for this situation, you should look at ethics rather than offense...

webassign
07-25-08, 11:49 AM
Did you really need to bump this thread up when there are a million Bonds threads already?

Yankee Tripper
07-25-08, 12:04 PM
Maybe he wants it merged?