PDA

View Full Version : Juan Rivera promoted

GrouchoNYY
06-30-01, 04:54 PM
juan Rivera won't play in the AA All star game after all. Not that he's complaining. Rivera is being promoted to Columbus immediately. he will still play in the Futures game.

Incidentally, The Sporting News just featured Rivera as the Yankee farmhand closest to being a 5 tool prospect. (He doesn't steal much.)

JJ

Elfdood
06-30-01, 09:36 PM
I don't care if he has four and a half tools or whatever, he needs to take more walks than he is right now if he wants to be a good major league player. He had 15 walks in about 330 plate apperances in Norwich.

KLJ
07-01-01, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Elfdood
I don't care if he has four and a half tools or whatever, he needs to take more walks than he is right now if he wants to be a good major league player. He had 15 walks in about 330 plate apperances in Norwich.
who the hell is our hitting instructor for the minors? other than johnson, does anyone have patience at the plate? seems to me that we need to do a better job of teaching that..

Elfdood
07-01-01, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by KLJ

who the hell is our hitting instructor for the minors? other than johnson, does anyone have patience at the plate? seems to me that we need to do a better job of teaching that.. Compared to most organizations, we're <b>great</b> at teaching plate discipline. A lot of players, though, particularly international signings, aren't that good at it, and it takes them a long time to learn.

As for other players in the minors with good plate discipline, Marcus Thames, a 24 year-old outfielder who I believe is in his third year at AA, has 33 walks in 230 plate appearances. The Yankees probably should've promoted him instead of Rivera. They're probably just eager to move Rivera along since they signed him to a pretty big contract.

Nick Leach is a first baseman who started the year in AA but has been demoted to Tampa; he had 30 walks in 198 plate appearances. That's great, but he only hit .214. There's more to the game than plate discipline. :)

Michael Cervenek is a third baseman. He's going to turn 25 in August, so he's pretty old for AA, but he has 25 walks in 263 plate appearances. And Eric Almonte, the team's top infield prospect outside of Henson and Johnson (aka "trade bait"), who had terrible plate discipline last year, has walked about once every ten plate appearances in AAA this season. Oh, and we did have this guy called D'Angelo Jimenez...

Broadway Joe
07-06-01, 02:08 PM
What issue of The Sporting News? Who's on the cover. I'd like to pick that one up.