PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Former Mets employee admits to distributing steroids

justtxyank
04-27-07, 03:44 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/04/27/steroid.bust/index.html

(Cut and paste of article removed by mod. Please keep it to links, or at most a key sentence or two.)

justtxyank
04-27-07, 03:52 PM
Sorry...somehow the link changed at SI. Updated.

yanksphan
04-27-07, 03:53 PM
So in conclusion - the Mets are bad for baseball. :D

VanHalen5150
04-27-07, 04:11 PM
"dozens of Major Leaguers on teams throughout the league."

I can't wait until the names come out

NelsonMuntz
04-27-07, 04:11 PM
This type of news doesn't even faze me anymore. Right, wrong, or otherwise, I just assume that the majority of pro athletes are taking steroids or HGH.

Mr. Mxylsplk
04-27-07, 04:22 PM
This type of news doesn't even faze me anymore. Right, wrong, or otherwise, I just assume that the majority of pro athletes are taking steroids or HGH.
It's hard not to.

jbauer2485
04-27-07, 05:21 PM
"dozens of Major Leaguers on teams throughout the league."

I can't wait until the names come out

Are the names ever going to come out? It seems like we hear reports like this all the time and nothing ever comes of it.

ppa79
04-27-07, 05:22 PM
I want names

Bob Saccomano
04-27-07, 05:26 PM
Are the names ever going to come out? It seems like we hear reports like this all the time and nothing ever comes of it.

Like Gary Matthews, Jr. Names might be forthcoming, but I doubt that it will have any real impact save, perhpaps, in the court of public opinion.

Dog Named Fred
04-27-07, 08:13 PM

Overwhelming majority. And why anyone cares is beyond me.

nnysiny
04-27-07, 08:41 PM

beause the athleticism then becomes an illusion, maybe?

Bob Saccomano
04-28-07, 06:30 AM

Maybe because statistics in baseball are enjoyed by many enthusiasts as a means of comparing performance intra- and intergenerationally, and performance enhancing drugs ruin any possibility of fairness in comparison.

Maybe because it taints the level of competition when some players use and others do not, thereby conferring an unfair competitive advantage to those who are, in effect, cheaters.

Maybe because athletes using steroids promotes their usage in children, and steroid usage in developing athletes is increasing at an alarming rate. Lots of them have misconceptions about what steroids are and what they can do. Most think that a little testicular shrinkage is the only harm that can result, so when they come to the hospital with a ruptured liver adenoma secondary to their anabolic steroid use, they're surprised. It's pretty sad to see a 16 year-old kid bleeding to death from an intraperitoneal hemorrhage because he thought steroids would make him a better athlete.

Why Not?
04-30-07, 10:21 PM

Because cheating is bad? Breaking the law is bad?

Grape Ape
04-30-07, 10:30 PM

Yeah, I'm sure MLB thought it was awful when McGuire and Sosa were chasing the HR record.

Hitman23
04-30-07, 11:56 PM
I want namesyeah. witch hunts are fun.

:snooze:

JeffWeaverFan
05-01-07, 12:10 AM
yeah. witch hunts are fun.

:snooze:
I don't know if it's a witch hunt if we get the names. We'll know who cheated instead of just speculating.

Hitman23
05-01-07, 12:18 AM
I don't know if it's a witch hunt if we get the names. We'll know who cheated instead of just speculating.I just think too many people are preoccupied with who did it so they can point fingers and say "you eff'd up". And I just don't see a point. Having the names isn't going to change anything. Performance enhancing drugs are a part of sports. I'd rather just leave it to MLB to clean it up and stop trying to ruin people's lives publically.

Why Not?
05-01-07, 12:31 AM
Yeah, I'm sure MLB thought it was awful when McGuire and Sosa were chasing the HR record.

I don't really care what MLB thought then or what it thinks now. I want to know who was clean and who wasn't. Players getting nailed will deter current players from cheating. That's what I want.

Why Not?
05-01-07, 12:40 AM
I just think too many people are preoccupied with who did it so they can point fingers and say "you eff'd up". And I just don't see a point. Having the names isn't going to change anything. Performance enhancing drugs are a part of sports. I'd rather just leave it to MLB to clean it up and stop trying to ruin people's lives publically.

I think it will.

I think current players will think long and hard about shooting themselves up after seeing the public's reaction to Giambi, Bonds, Palmeiro, et al. "Steroid Cheat" is the first thing on their resumes and it always will be. Some guys are going to cheat anyway, but don't you think young players will want to avoid that sort of label?

Jace
05-01-07, 02:20 AM
I just think too many people are preoccupied with who did it so they can point fingers and say "you eff'd up". And I just don't see a point. Having the names isn't going to change anything. Performance enhancing drugs are a part of sports. I'd rather just leave it to MLB to clean it up and stop trying to ruin people's lives publically.

I agree. I don't care if public humiliation is a good deterrent, its still disgusting and hypocritical. The ends don't justify the means

Hitman23
05-01-07, 07:49 AM
I think it will.

I think current players will think long and hard about shooting themselves up after seeing the public's reaction to Giambi, Bonds, Palmeiro, et al. "Steroid Cheat" is the first thing on their resumes and it always will be. Some guys are going to cheat anyway, but don't you think young players will want to avoid that sort of label?My honest opinion, I think the only thing players are going to think long and hard about are what they can take that won't show up on a test. I think it's something we're gonna have to live with.

BillBuckner
05-01-07, 08:49 AM
I want names
Which is exactly why I don't even get excited over news like this anymore. It's like a merry-go-round, nothing is getting accomplished and we're not moving anywhere.

effdamets
05-01-07, 08:53 AM
The only thing I can say about the steriod issue in baseball is.... in time, we will find out who abused the drugs when players (former) start dropping dead from liver (and other organ) failure at very young ages.

Will it be a "serves you right" attitude? Or a "forgiving" attitude?

ieddyi
05-01-07, 08:56 AM
Heard yesterday that they have CHECKS from the players to the dealer- if true they deserve to be skewered due to stupidity alone

Why Not?
05-01-07, 09:20 AM
My honest opinion, I think the only thing players are going to think long and hard about are what they can take that won't show up on a test. I think it's something we're gonna have to live with.

Certainly the cat and mouse game is upon us and it isn't going away. But if law enforcement is able to out players doing the undectible (but still illegal) stuff, they will have to consider their legacy when shooting up that next designer drug.

Why Not?
05-01-07, 09:24 AM
I agree. I don't care if public humiliation is a good deterrent, its still disgusting and hypocritical. The ends don't justify the means

Why is it disgusting? When people commit a crime, shouldn't they expect public scorn as well as whatever penalty the justice system has in store for them?

Hitman23
05-01-07, 09:28 AM
Why is it disgusting? When people commit a crime, shouldn't they expect public scorn as well as whatever penalty the justice system has in store for them?This type of thinking is exactly why I call it a witch hunt.

Why Not?
05-01-07, 02:07 PM
This type of thinking is exactly why I call it a witch hunt.
I call it justice. These guys have committed actual crimes and there is actual evidence. I don't think we should punish guys who just look like they are juicing, but should we just blow off the players who we know have cheated?

Is is because they might play for a team we like?

Hitman23
05-01-07, 02:38 PM
I call it justice. These guys have committed actual crimes and there is actual evidence. I don't think we should punish guys who just look like they are juicing, but should we just blow off the players who we know have cheated?

Is is because they might play for a team we like?No, I just don't think such extreme measures should be taken. Public humiliation is not necessary. MLB should take care of this internally. If we have players who continue to abuse the policy that's a different story.

Look, this wasn't a big deal until a few years ago. Baseball was getting revived because of the home run. After the strike it was almost dead. It wasn't regulated or enforced so players did what they had to do to be the best and make their millions. I can't cast too much blame their way. No business that involves this much money is clean. As much as we'd all like it to be.

Yes, they should be dealt with. But not to the extent that many people in the public are asking. WE (the public) need to let it go.

Jace
05-01-07, 03:25 PM
Why is it disgusting? When people commit a crime, shouldn't they expect public scorn as well as whatever penalty the justice system has in store for them?

Because its sensationalism, its people digging for other people's faults as if they didn't have any of their own. We all know anyone with the choice of a major league contract and $5 million or perpetual mediocrity and not enough money would Definitely choose being honest.... Let them get their suspensions/get kicked out or whatever, and enough with the tabloid fodder

yankeebot
05-01-07, 03:42 PM
No, I just don't think such extreme measures should be taken. Public humiliation is not necessary. MLB should take care of this internally. If we have players who continue to abuse the policy that's a different story.

Look, this wasn't a big deal until a few years ago. Baseball was getting revived because of the home run. After the strike it was almost dead. It wasn't regulated or enforced so players did what they had to do to be the best and make their millions. I can't cast too much blame their way. No business that involves this much money is clean. As much as we'd all like it to be.

Yes, they should be dealt with. But not to the extent that many people in the public are asking. WE (the public) need to let it go. It is extreme and I disagree with it but you're right. Baseball made the conscious choice to look the other way for a long time. Now it's become a legal issue, not a baseball one. The public will not let it go unless the media does and we all know that ain't gonna happen. The thing the irritates the crap out of me is that a lot of players are going to be publicly humiliated which in and of itself I don't mind that much but Bud Selig is going to get credit for "cleaning up baseball" when he was the one that allowed it to get so dirty in the first place.

silverdsl
05-02-07, 07:53 AM

Is is because they might play for a team we like?I agree. If a player is found to have actually taken steroids or other performance enhancers I see no reason why their names should be hidden. They choose to take steroids, they'll need to face the consequences for that, some of which might be unpleasant. The media should be covering the overall story of the use of steroids and other performance enhancers in MLB, even if some of it sensationalized, because it's something that has had and will have a big impact on the sport.

I Stereotype
05-02-07, 10:59 PM

Really? So I assume Willie Mays is a criminal and a cheater?

What about Schmidt?

Or is the outrage just particulary over steroids? I guess other illegal performance enhancers don't count then.

Why Not?
05-02-07, 11:48 PM
Really? So I assume Willie Mays is a criminal and a cheater?

What about Schmidt?

Or is the outrage just particulary over steroids? I guess other illegal performance enhancers don't count then.

Mays and Schmidt aren't innocent either. It might be a bit hypocritical, but I consider speed a little different than steroids. Still, speed should be out of the game as well.

So I suppose your answer would be to just let players do whatever they feel will help them, legal or not?

I Stereotype
05-03-07, 01:07 AM
Mays and Schmidt aren't innocent either. It might be a bit hypocritical, but I consider speed a little different than steroids. Still, speed should be out of the game as well.

So I suppose your answer would be to just let players do whatever they feel will help them, legal or not?

Speed is different from steroids. One helps build muscle, the other one increases reaction time. The difference ends there.

The similarities are - They are both illegal, and banned by WADA because of percieved healthrisks and performance enhancing attributes. Schmidt admitted to using Amphetamines, and there was liquid Amphetamines found in Mays Locker ( I believe in Stargell's too).

IMO, it's pretty hypocritical to start putting asterisk's next to today's cheats names, when you have cheats of the past enjoying the free life after either admitting or getting caught doing illegal performance enhancing drugs.

This is just my opinion of course. I find it funny when I'm at the ballpark and I hear fans screaming about Giambi being a drug cheat, while at the same time saying that the old-time players would never do anything so despicable. Any if you even mention the possibility of Saint Willie Mays being a drug cheat, you get all kinds of dirty looks directed right at you.

Why Not?
05-03-07, 06:31 PM
Speed is different from steroids. One helps build muscle, the other one increases reaction time. The difference ends there.

The similarities are - They are both illegal, and banned by WADA because of percieved healthrisks and performance enhancing attributes. Schmidt admitted to using Amphetamines, and there was liquid Amphetamines found in Mays Locker ( I believe in Stargell's too).

IMO, it's pretty hypocritical to start putting asterisk's next to today's cheats names, when you have cheats of the past enjoying the free life after either admitting or getting caught doing illegal performance enhancing drugs.

This is just my opinion of course. I find it funny when I'm at the ballpark and I hear fans screaming about Giambi being a drug cheat, while at the same time saying that the old-time players would never do anything so despicable. Any if you even mention the possibility of Saint Willie Mays being a drug cheat, you get all kinds of dirty looks directed right at you.

I agree it's hypocritical and frankly I'm OK with that.

I Stereotype
05-03-07, 08:55 PM
I agree it's hypocritical and frankly I'm OK with that.

That's fine. I can understand not wanting to find out your heroes were drug cheats. It pains me to this day knowing Mac was a cheater, but it is what it is.

Why Not?
05-03-07, 10:36 PM
That's fine. I can understand not wanting to find out your heroes were drug cheats. It pains me to this day knowing Mac was a cheater, but it is what it is.
Well it's not even that so much, though you are certainly right. I pretty much root for the laundry. There is really just a small list of guys who would truly disappoint me if they were using drugs; Ripken, Murray, maybe a couple of others.

I know guys used amphetimines back in the day, I just don't consider that as "sinful" as steroid use. I dunno, maybe because it didn't affect the numbers as obviously or maybe because. Somehow it just doesn't seem as malicious. That's the hypocricy I'm talking about.

I Stereotype
05-03-07, 11:06 PM
Well it's not even that so much, though you are certainly right. I pretty much root for the laundry. There is really just a small list of guys who would truly disappoint me if they were using drugs; Ripken, Murray, maybe a couple of others.

I know guys used amphetimines back in the day, I just don't consider that as "sinful" as steroid use. I dunno, maybe because it didn't affect the numbers as obviously or maybe because. Somehow it just doesn't seem as malicious. That's the hypocricy I'm talking about.

Well, it would be hard to tell how much it has effected the numbers since they've been around for a long time.

I do agree that they aren't as " bad " as steroids, but they shouldn't be flying under the radar. They may not enhance performance as much as steroids, but they still do enhance performance. And they are still illegal, and users of them are cheats.

Meecham4ever
05-03-07, 11:12 PM
NOT a story...NOT a thread....should be locked....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

yankeebot
05-04-07, 06:01 AM
NOT a story...NOT a thread....should be locked....zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Why do you not think this is a story? This is potentially the biggest PED story to date. Did you read the SI link?

Octoberbaby
05-05-07, 02:28 AM
I don't know if it's a witch hunt if we get the names. We'll know who cheated instead of just speculating.

Yeah, it's like the McCarthy era all over again.