PDA

View Full Version : Ken Griffey Jr. passed REG-GIE in HRs

RJ44
04-25-07, 07:11 AM
All of a sudden, I feel the urge to hit someone.... Although, I suppose I can take solace in the fact that Grif should've done this 5 years ago, if he was healthy.

Ugh.

Astorian
04-25-07, 07:31 AM
Why are you so down on Griffey? He's a classy guy and when he was in his prime, he was arguably one of the greatest talents the game has ever seen.

Congrats to him.

RJ44
04-25-07, 07:44 AM
Why are you so down on Griffey? He's a classy guy and when he was in his prime, he was arguably one of the greatest talents the game has ever seen.

Congrats to him.

Reggie is my Babe Ruth. Of course it was inevitable, but you never want to see your childhood hero get passed (at least I don't). Griffey was always a real good player with GREAT potential; had he stayed injury-free, we'd be talking about him passing Aaron instead of Bonds.

RhodeyYankee2638
04-25-07, 07:50 AM
I don't know how anyone can be pissed about Griffey moving up on the HR list

nhyankeefan
04-25-07, 07:51 AM

I know, I'm bummed he's not the one challenging Aaron right now.

RJ44
04-25-07, 08:14 AM

"you never want to see your childhood hero get passed (at least I don't)"

RhodeyYankee2638
04-25-07, 08:15 AM
"you never want to see your childhood hero get passed (at least I don't)"

he's gotten passed by Sosal, Bonds and Big Mac, at least this time its a player who is apparently clean

RJ44
04-25-07, 08:16 AM
he's gotten passed by Sosal, Bonds and Big Mac, at least this time its a player who is apparently clean

touche'

tdel23
04-25-07, 08:31 AM
I'm glad for Griffey I've always been a big fan of his, well except for that damn 95 playoff series.

RJ44
04-25-07, 08:33 AM
I'm glad for Griffey I've always been a big fan of his, well except for that damn 95 playoff series.

I remember the end of that series, going outside yelling and kicking the crap out of my car... we lived on a hill, too, so i kinda echoed..... ah well.

jonnyc39
04-25-07, 09:17 AM
Reggie is my Babe Ruth. Of course it was inevitable, but you never want to see your childhood hero get passed (at least I don't). Griffey was always a real good player with GREAT potential; had he stayed injury-free, we'd be talking about him passing Aaron instead of Bonds.We probably would be talking about Bonds passing Aaron too.

BillBuckner
04-25-07, 09:53 AM
Congrats to him. He deserved a better career.

nnysiny
04-25-07, 09:55 AM
congrats Griffey!

Smithers
04-25-07, 09:58 AM
Oh what could have been.

IronCaballo4
04-25-07, 10:02 AM

agreed....he's one heck of a talent and despite the injuries he'll always be one of my favorites

swityak11
04-25-07, 10:25 AM
I know, I'm bummed he's not the one challenging Aaron right now.This is my answer as well.

DontHateOnNumber2
04-25-07, 11:11 AM
We should be talking about Junior passing Hank in homers. Damn injuries. Congrats Griffey.

Hitman23
04-25-07, 11:27 AM
To be where he is with as much time as he's missed is amazing. I'm with those who wish he'd remained healthy. He sure was fun to watch.

mitchrock
04-25-07, 11:33 AM
I like Griffey. Just don't think of him much the past few years. Injuries really took a toll on his numbers. Would much rather see Griffey chasing Aaron than Bonds.

35Knucklecurve
04-25-07, 12:35 PM
We should be talking about Junior passing Hank in homers. Damn injuries. Congrats Griffey.
Amen. The man has no fear when it comes to walls - running into them, climbing them or hitting over them.

Yankees Empire
04-25-07, 02:06 PM

What if Griffey had been able to stay healthy for all of those years? What if it was both Griffey AND Barry A-hole chasing Hank Aaron? It would have been cool to see the daily updates. Which guy gets the mark first? Who leapfrogged who today?

It would also have had the "Good vs. Evil" angle. The clean (at least on appearances) guy who's done it the "right way" vs. the surly, evil jackhole who is clouded by suspicion. The media would have ran like gangbusters with a story line like that.

Not to be. Oh well...

Bob Saccomano
04-25-07, 03:17 PM
I've always liked Griffey. In his prime, he was probably one of the best players ever. It's sad to see that his brilliant career got derailed by injuries. I think he'll join the 600 HR club on his way to being a first ballot HOFer.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
04-25-07, 03:32 PM

Amen. Griffey is my favorite player (that isn't a Yankee). It's really a shame that injuries got to him when he was heading into/in his prime.

yanksphan
04-25-07, 03:52 PM
Sweetest swing in baseball....still.

donniesrecordholdsup
04-25-07, 08:27 PM
What if Griffey had been able to stay healthy for all of those years? What if it was both Griffey AND Barry A-hole chasing Hank Aaron? It would have been cool to see the daily updates. Which guy gets the mark first? Who leapfrogged who today?

It would also have had the "Good vs. Evil" angle. The clean (at least on appearances) guy who's done it the "right way" vs. the surly, evil jackhole who is clouded by suspicion. The media would have ran like gangbusters with a story line like that.

Not to be. Oh well...
youre right that wouldve been great. better the mac/sosa when we thought they were both clean

pedromartinezfan
04-25-07, 08:34 PM
You can so "Oh what could have been" but still look at the career he still actually got to have. He's been to to 12 All-Star games, won an MVP, won 10 Gold Gloves, 7 Silver Sluggers, hit 56 HR twice, has over 1600 RBI's, is 20th all-time in XBH, his career line is .291/.374/.556, and has made over $130,000,000. Granted he should have about 4 MVP's and be past Willie Mays on the all-time HR list, but still, he's gotten to achieve a lot and i still moving up on all-sorts of lists.

I'd say over 9600 PA is pretty good.