PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay Rays Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

bobbymagee
04-07-07, 08:59 AM
Let me make this abundantly crystal clear:
First, the Devil Rays will not will the American League Eastern Division, or be the wild card team, or move out from the cellar.

From my experience living in Florida and watching the Florida Marlins accumulate talent from 1998 to 2007, I can notice when a team is heading in the right direction.

The Devil Eggs, oops Devil Rays have begun the process of making good choices:
trading for Kazmir
holding onto Carl Crawford and Rocco Baldelli
trading for Jae Sao, Dioner Navarro, Casey Fossum, Ben Zobrist and Edwin Jackson.
signing Akinori Iwamura
drafting good atheletes: BJ Upton,Elijah Dukes, Delmon Young and more on the way

More important, Joe Maddon is a manager that the players are listening to because of his legitimacy, winning with the Angels, and personality.

It may take a few additional years . They are finally making good choices.

Lucen
04-07-07, 09:11 AM
Let me make this abundantly crystal clear:
First, the Devil Rays will not will the American League Eastern Division, or be the wild card team, or move out from the cellar.

I still think they'll finish ahead of the Orioles this year.

yanksphan
04-07-07, 09:17 AM
I don't know if holding on to Baldelli and Crawford were really that good of moves.

They have a ton of OFs waiting to get their chance (Elijah Dukes says hi) and the two "veterans" could have netted some starting pitching or desperately needed bullpen help.

Maddon's approach is definitely refreshing though. They will be a pest this year.

Haywood2K6
04-07-07, 09:20 AM
the Rays lineup is so much better now that they stopped playing those same old veterans they have had there every seasons. Demoting Cantu, benching Gomes etc have made their lineup much better. Young, Upton, Dukes etc can flat hit and should be in there everyday, no matter what.

Allan
04-07-07, 09:30 AM
I don't know if holding on to Baldelli and Crawford were really that good of moves.

They have a ton of OFs waiting to get their chance (Elijah Dukes says hi) and the two "veterans" could have netted some starting pitching or desperately needed bullpen help.

Maddon's approach is definitely refreshing though. They will be a pest this year.

I cannot see any team being in a hurry to trade away Carl Crawford. Don't you think the Yankees would just love to get their hands on him?

However, I think Baldelli is quite expendable if the right deal for pitching presents itself.

yanksphan
04-07-07, 09:46 AM
I cannot see any team being in a hurry to trade away Carl Crawford. Don't you think the Yankees would just love to get their hands on him?

However, I think Baldelli is quite expendable if the right deal for pitching presents itself.

That's exactly the point - they are SO thin in pitching, and heavy in young, fast OF, that they could have definitely got a plus SP or elite RP for him.

You have to give something of value to net something of value.

We'll see how it plays out though...there's something to be said for having a veteran leader on the team too, so I can respect their decision in that aspect.

Allan
04-07-07, 09:57 AM
That's exactly the point - they are SO thin in pitching, and heavy in young, fast OF, that they could have definitely got a plus SP or elite RP for him.

You have to give something of value to net something of value.

We'll see how it plays out though...there's something to be said for having a veteran leader on the team too, so I can respect their decision in that aspect.
I don't disagree. That's why I think Baldelli might be on the block. However the offer would have to be mighty appealing before I'd deal Crawford.

Lucen
04-07-07, 10:08 AM
I don't disagree. That's why I think Baldelli might be on the block. However the offer would have to be mighty appealing before I'd deal Crawford.

Crawford would bring back a top flight pitching prospect or a solid major league starter, but not a number 1 type pitcher. Baldelli would bring back less than that. Considering that the Rays have some very impressive pitching prospects moving through the system already, I'm not sure that they should be looking to deal Crawford at all. He's going to be a very good player for a long time. Lock him up as the veteran leader of the team and keep building around him.

IMO, they should look to have an outfield of Delmon Young, Carl Crawford and Elijah Dukes for the long haul. By 2008 they should have that outfield with Longoria at 3rd, Brignac at short, Upton at 2nd, Gomes at 1st with Niemann, Kazmir, McGee and Shields in the rotation. That could be the best young team in the majors at that point and by 2010 they very well may be major players in the AL East.

Of course, this means they should look to trade Baldelli, probably for bullpen help. Maybe they can bring in a strong closer with him. If I was a Devil Rays fan, I'd be pretty excited about the next couple of years.

hardrain
04-07-07, 10:33 AM
I wonder if the Tampa Bay Devil Rays have their version of Bobby Jr. within their fanbase...If so, hopefully we will meet him here.

Opus
04-07-07, 10:42 AM
I agree that the DRays will get out of the cellar this year, I do think they will pass Baltimore.

I would not trade Crawford at all. He is a pretty solid guy to build a young team around. Baldelli on the other hand, if he has a hot streak and can bring back a decent #2 or 3 pitcher, I would make that move.

Jace
04-07-07, 10:54 AM
Elijah Dukes looks like a linebacker, yet he also runs like a tailback. That guy is an athlete

bobbymagee
04-07-07, 11:04 AM
I wonder if the Tampa Bay Devil Rays have their version of Bobby Jr. within their fanbase...If so, hopefully we will meet him here.

Yankee fan is the words to describe me. Above all, I am a baseball fan. When noticing the possible origins of something special it is wonderful. I noticed the Marlins with the infield of Lowell, Gonzalez, Castillo and Lee, starting pitching of Burnett, Beckett, Pavano, Redmen, and Willis.

Plus, make wise trades for some other additions to put pieces of the puzzle together.

It is almost like an artist painting a masterpiece. It takes a personnel genius with a competent support staff, and perceptive scouting staff to make wise calculations to put all of the ingredients together to make a team.

I don't believe there is a any fan base for the D Rays. Going to see the Yanks play them every year the composition at the Trop is 60% Yanks and 30% D Rays and others 10%.

bnorris85
04-07-07, 11:32 PM
The devil rays are my second favorite team...i wish they were in another division so bad. Ive been trying to find a crawford jersey but i refuse to pay 100 + on one. :(

RollingWave
04-08-07, 04:12 AM
This year, i have trouble seeing them passing the O's ... its possible, but not exactly high. the problem is the relieving, which counts a lot as the games begin to pile up, the O's have a fairly decent pen, the Rays have abosalutely nothing.

bobbymagee
04-13-07, 08:42 AM
D-rays are two out. They better savor this moment in time. It doesn't get any better than this in 07!

ojo
04-13-07, 03:52 PM

i COMPLETELY agree.

i felt this past off season the rays should've held a bidding war for the rights to the 19 triple 60 sb carl crawford.

he would've netted a bonafide #2 SP with upside AND a bonafide arm for the pen.

then just let your sty of athletes roam the OF. offset the loss of crawford by PITCHING EFFECTIVELY in 30 or so more games than last season.

and within a year, the growth of the incredibly talented young bats in that lineup would erase the loss of crawford almost entirely.

nyyfanatic85
04-13-07, 05:59 PM
You bet they're on the right track, especially with Eureka, IL native Ben Zobrist at short! :)

LecheCaberera2826
04-15-07, 02:40 PM
I was watching the braves game and the commentators were talking about how Brad Lidge was demoted from his closer role and that there have been rumors that he would be taded to the Rays for one of their star outfielders such as Baldelli, Crawford (i don't think so), etc. But the funny thing was that if he is traded to the Rays they will use him as a starter. I think this would be a smart move to trade Baldelli for Lidge seeing as how they have so much young and talented outfielders and they are in need of pitchers. Also if Lidge was traded to Tampa he wouldn't have as much pressure on him so he could regain his confidence to become the dominant pitcher he once was.

brosiusbuddy
05-17-07, 12:42 PM
Can someone fill me in on the purpose of the Orlando experiment with Tampa? I've read one report that said it was just an attempt to expand the fan base and another report which said it was possible they might be moving to Orlando. If they were moving to Orlando, that would be great for me because its about 2 hours closer for me and I have someone there I could stay with if I went to games there.

Anyone know the deal?

YASS
05-17-07, 12:50 PM
Can someone fill me in on the purpose of the Orlando experiment with Tampa? I've read one report that said it was just an attempt to expand the fan base and another report which said it was possible they might be moving to Orlando. If they were moving to Orlando, that would be great for me because its about 2 hours closer for me and I have someone there I could stay with if I went to games there.

Anyone know the deal?

I can't say for sure, but it was played around the time of its first announcement as just a gimmicky sort of way to get some Orlando area fans to show up. Orlando would certainly need a new park before the franchise could move there, and the Florida public-money-for-stadiums train can't seem to make it out of the station.

I'd love a move to Orlando. It'd put me close enough to go to weekday games. But I haven't heard anything like that, and I don't think it's going to happen.

26 and counting
08-20-07, 06:59 PM
Devil Rays are 47-76 this year. So what's the deal? Are they still "heading in the right direction"? I've heard that phrase for the past five years and nothing's improved.

nyyfanatic85
08-20-07, 08:18 PM
Devil Rays are 47-76 this year. So what's the deal? Are they still "heading in the right direction"? I've heard that phrase for the past five years and nothing's improved.

They just play in the AL East, where they have no shot.

Panamaniac42
08-21-07, 12:21 PM
Ugh...

http://raysblog.joesportsline.com/2007/08/19/disco-inferno.aspx

http://photos-372.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v108/90/102/7206372/n7206372_31180577_6434.jpg

cubhater
08-21-07, 08:27 PM
They just play in the AL East, where they have no shot.

Quiet! You just gave Bobby Jr. ammunition.:P

CallOfTheCrow
09-01-07, 06:47 PM
Any updates on Iwamura's bat situation? It did sound a little hollow.

Yankeesfan811
09-01-07, 08:32 PM
Any updates on Iwamura's bat situation? It did sound a little hollow.

idk, but I am still laughing that Joe Maddon came out and had arod's bat taken up....that was so dumb.

RollingWave
09-02-07, 05:31 AM
The best time of trading Baldelli (end of last season) is probably past, and the man once hailed as the next Dimaggio will have to at least put up a healthy season before he has any real trade value again.

they are moving in the right direction, but to actually win something you would actually need to like... open your check book and sign someone. Florida and the D-backs certianly didn't win it all with a all kids team. dispite what some may think.

LecheCaberera2826
09-03-07, 04:57 PM
Does anyone think its safe to say that we will see David Price sometime in the majors next year? Although they have pitchers like niemann, macgee, davis ahead of him, he seems almost too polished to spend a whole year in the minors.

Mezmerize
09-05-07, 11:47 AM
The best time of trading Baldelli (end of last season) is probably past, and the man once hailed as the next Dimaggio will have to at least put up a healthy season before he has any real trade value again.

And that may never happen. I saw a note on Yahoo! stating Baldelli is already thinking about retirement due to chronic soreness and pain. He is a very gifted athlete, but injury may ulitimately keep him from becoming a great athlete.

SoCal Pinstriper
02-06-08, 12:58 PM
Rays officials were still awaiting details Tuesday night on the legal status of infielder Willy Aybar, who has been jailed in the Dominican Republic on domestic violence charges.
A court official in San Cristobal told the Times there was a hearing Tuesday in Aybar's case but did not know what had happened. Appeals court prosecutor Jesus Fernandez Velez told espndeportes.com Monday that Aybar's lawyers said Friday that the wife had agreed to withdraw the complaint, which could lead to the charges being dropped.
Aybar, 24, has been in custody since Thursday and could remain jailed for at least three more months, espndeportes.com reported Monday.
The Rays are counting on Aybar, acquired last month from Atlanta, to have a key role, potentially starting at third base until prospect Evan Longoria is deemed ready then becoming a "super-utility" player.
If Aybar is unavailable, the Rays would seem more likely to look elsewhere for a third baseman to compete with Joel Guzman rather than rush Longoria.
http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/06/Rays/Aybar_s_status_after_.shtml

cubhater
02-06-08, 01:11 PM
http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/06/Rays/Aybar_s_status_after_.shtml

Just when the Rays thought they got rid of bad PR when they traded Dukes.

Snatch Catch
02-21-08, 10:44 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb_experts/post/Tampa-takes-quantum-leap-in-ballpark-design?urn=mlb%2C67665

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_mlb_experts/ept_sports_mlb_experts-126587184-1203514557.jpg?ym.Cc8.C8roer.6W

YASS
02-21-08, 11:01 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb_experts/post/Tampa-takes-quantum-leap-in-ballpark-design?urn=mlb%2C67665

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_mlb_experts/ept_sports_mlb_experts-126587184-1203514557.jpg?ym.Cc8.C8roer.6W

Why are they trying to land that Space Shuttle in that ballfield? It doesn't look like it's going to fit.

Snatch Catch
02-21-08, 11:03 AM
I kind of like it. If you look closely, you can see that the roof is translucent. Pretty neat.

YASS
02-21-08, 11:13 AM
I kind of like it. If you look closely, you can see that the roof is translucent. Pretty neat.

It's still impossible to get to from Central Florida for a weekday game. I begged them to pick a site near Tampa off I-4, but they didn't listen.

cubhater
02-21-08, 11:37 AM

I'm sailing awayyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Seriously, anything has to be an improvement over the Trop.

roblyo33
02-21-08, 01:20 PM

I like it!! Looks like a great place to watch a game on a lazy, Monday, Florida, July evening. Of course, the Yanks would have to be in town or, off that day!!

xenadanielle
03-04-08, 04:43 PM
Seems like this would be a good place to inquire since I am very likely headed to the TB area next month and will probably be seeing the NYY/TAM game on the 14th. Where is the best place to sit @ the Trop? Right now when I plug "best available" into Ticketmaster it brings up $270 seats which I do not want.

Any advice on how to proceed here, which sections I should try for, etc??

YASS
03-04-08, 04:51 PM
I like the loge boxes or the press level seats along the third base line. You get a good view of the entire field except for the left field corner. I just paid $45/seat for press level seats.

I don't mind the outfield seats in RF, either.

THEBOSS84
03-04-08, 04:52 PM
Who was the Trop built for?

xenadanielle
03-04-08, 05:00 PM
I like the loge boxes or the press level seats along the third base line. You get a good view of the entire field except for the left field corner. I just paid $45/seat for press level seats.

I don't mind the outfield seats in RF, either.

Thank you! :)

blumj
03-05-08, 06:55 AM
http://baseballprospectus.com/fantasy/dc/index.php
Latest Pecota update projects the Rays to win 89 games with the fewest RA in the AL.

cubhater
03-05-08, 07:07 AM
Who was the Trop built for?

The White Sox when they threatened to leave Chicago unless they got a new stadium. They were this/close to leaving until the former governor used his clout at the last second.

Bronson'sCornrows
03-05-08, 08:09 PM
Latest Pecota update projects the Rays to win 89 games with the fewest RA in the AL.

I don't think they're going to be THAT good yet, but I suppose it's possible.

NelsonMuntz
03-08-08, 12:42 PM
I think Arizona should take a cue from Tampa and change their nickname to the "Backs". It makes too much freakin' sense.

JavyVazquezIsSick
03-08-08, 01:29 PM
Really like the Percival and Cliff Floyd signings.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-09-08, 05:21 AM
The <s>Devil</s> Rays are doing surpsingly well this spring...a .500+ record seems very achievable.

Tabata
03-09-08, 06:42 AM
I can't post in this thing until the thread name is fixed.

Sorry, that's just how I feel.

b-ball-lunachick
03-09-08, 11:34 AM
Price was very impressive yesterday...

Sixty one
03-09-08, 01:20 PM
Tampa could be the surprise team in the AL this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they finish 3r.;) ;)

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-09-08, 03:56 PM
I can't post in this thing until the thread name is fixed.

Sorry, that's just how I feel.

I like it better this way...<s>Devil</s> Rays is a stupid name.

Tabata
03-10-08, 06:53 AM
I like it better this way...<s>Devil</s> Rays is a stupid name.
How do you do that by the way?

teknetic
03-10-08, 10:33 AM
< s > word < / s >

CallOfTheCrow
03-10-08, 10:35 AM
How do you do that by the way?

Smash your forehead on the keyboard.

YankeesAce4Life
03-10-08, 11:00 AM
Typical. The Yankees pay for their own stadium and get little funding from New York, but the Rays are being handed a new ballpark. I hope they don't get it.

Tabata
03-11-08, 04:27 AM
< s > word < / s >
Thanks.

Smash your forehead on the keyboard.
I tryed that, but nothing happened (http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u195/Tabata_2007/gif/banghead_220711.gif):dunno:

YASS
03-11-08, 08:32 AM
Thanks.

I tryed that, but nothing happened (http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u195/Tabata_2007/gif/banghead_220711.gif):dunno:
It <s>doesn't work</s> works for me.

If you're using his example literally, that might be the problem. don't leave a space between the '<' and the 's' and the '>'.

SoCal Pinstriper
03-20-08, 12:23 PM
ESPN's Jayson Stark reported the Rays "are believed to have made an offer to free agent Kenny Lofton in the last 48 hours, but apparently got shot down." http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article424808.ece

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-20-08, 02:52 PM
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article424808.ece

Kenny Lofton turned down an offer? That's rich.

YASS
03-20-08, 02:55 PM
Kenny Lofton turned down an offer? That's rich.
Maybe they offered him a minor league deal. He's looking for a guaranteed ML contract, and I think he'll probably find a buyer at some point.

Mr. Mxylsplk
03-20-08, 04:14 PM
Maybe they offered him a minor league deal.
Every D-Rays contract is a minor league deal. Ba-dum-bum, I'm here all week.

YASS
03-20-08, 04:20 PM
Every D-Rays contract is a minor league deal. Ba-dum-bum, I'm here all week.
How's the veal?

Mr. Mxylsplk
03-20-08, 05:23 PM
How's the veal?
Melt in your mouth.

Eldee5
03-20-08, 07:43 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080320&content_id=2446467&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

B.J. Upton and Akinori Iwamura each left Thursday's Rays-Indians game with different ailments.
Upton was hit on the left triceps with two outs in the first inning by a pitch from Cleveland starter Paul Byrd. The initial assessment of the injury was a triceps contusion. X-rays on Upton's arm were negative.

Rays manager Joe Maddon said Upton got hit "right above the elbow."

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-21-08, 02:38 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080320&content_id=2446467&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

:-po'd-:

Sorry, but seeing the name Paul Byrd gave me a stroke.

b-ball-lunachick
03-24-08, 04:02 PM
Waiting a decision on whether Longoria will start the season with the big club...I wonder if they'll make him wait until mid April to come up to delay his free agency eligibility by a year...

I think that's a bad tone to set if they do that...they're trying to be all about playing hard every play and getting a swagger to them...hard to say that out of one side out of their mouth and then start the youngster down in AAA...

should be interesting...

YASS
03-24-08, 04:05 PM
Waiting a decision on whether Longoria will start the season with the big club...I wonder if they'll make him wait until mid April to come up to delay his free agency eligibility by a year...

I think that's a bad tone to set if they do that...they're trying to be all about playing hard every play and getting a swagger to them...hard to say that out of one side out of their mouth and then start the youngster down in AAA...

should be interesting...
I have to disagree, BBL. If they can hold on to him at controlled cost for an additional year (a prime year, at that) by sacrificing a little of his big league time in April, they'd be smart to do it.

They'll get a lot more bang out of that additional year than they will out of a few weeks of his rookie season.

Yankee_Samurai
03-24-08, 04:08 PM
I have to disagree, BBL. If they can hold on to him at controlled cost for an additional year (a prime year, at that) by sacrificing a little of his big league time in April, they'd be smart to do it.

They'll get a lot more bang out of that additional year than they will out of a few weeks of his rookie season.

It's not like they are competing for a playoff spot or anything ! This is strictly a business move and I see nothing wrong with it .

THEBOSS84
03-24-08, 04:08 PM

It can be anywhere from a $5-15 million dollar decision. Even though I own him in two fantasy leagues, it's definitely the right call for a small market team.

b-ball-lunachick
03-24-08, 04:11 PM

Any other year I'd agree with you YASS..but this year, they are supposed to be a new organization, the team is really starting to build something together with chemistry and to send him down, possibly distract/annoy him, move Iwamura back to 3rd -- it's just disruptive...for a team that wants to really take a step forward this year and make a big splash out of the gate, that's not the way to do it to worry about 2013...

THEBOSS84
03-24-08, 04:12 PM
A poster in a Rob Neyer chat said that the Rays only need to keep Longoria down for 11 days in April in order to delay his FA a year. Neyer couldn't confirm the info though.

THEBOSS84
03-24-08, 04:14 PM
It's official:

The Tampa Tribune reports that Even Longoria has finally been sent back to the minors Monday. He'll start the season at Triple-A Durham despite a fantastic spring in which he hit .282 with three homers and 10 RBI before Monday.

YASS
03-24-08, 04:15 PM
A poster in a Rob Neyer chat said that the Rays only need to keep Longoria down for 11 days in April in order to delay his FA a year. Neyer couldn't confirm the info though.
That's a genuine no-brainer if it's true.

No matter what kind of aggressive image they're trying to portray this year, 11 days just isn't going to make a lick of difference in the long run.

b-ball-lunachick
03-24-08, 04:17 PM
Well if he or they struggle out of the box a lot, I won't be upset. :D

The kid looks like a player so for him personally, I'm sure he can look forward to a lot of OD's with a big league club. :)

THEBOSS84
03-24-08, 04:19 PM
We play the Rays the first week of the season. Longoria and Kazmir will be out, which makes me happy.

In Mo I Trust
03-24-08, 04:37 PM
Price is out for six weeks with a strained forearm (rotoworld). Not good news for the Rays.

Prison Mike
03-25-08, 08:36 AM
Ouch- forearm injuries can be a bad omen.

keg411
03-25-08, 12:20 PM
Ouch- forearm injuries can be a bad omen.

Maybe the Rays think they can get a 2-for-1 deal on TJ with Price & Kazmir :P ,

b-ball-lunachick
03-30-08, 03:46 PM
According to this article, the dates that were published for Longoria to come up without them losing that year were wrong:

Media Incorrectly Predicts Timing of Longoria's Promotion

We just wanted to take a moment to clarify a couple of erroneous reports yesterday in the mainstream media concerning the service time of Evan Longoria. Bill Chastain of MLB.com, Marty York of Canada Metro and John Romano of the St. Pete Times reported that the Tampa Bay Rays would be able to delay Longoria's free agency clock by one year if he remains in the minors until the end of April....

The problem with this assessment is that a promotion at the end of April does not delay the arbitration clock which is of more importance for a player that the Rays hope to have around for longer than six years.

Normally a player is eligible for arbitration after 3 years and free agency after 6 years of service time. In baseball's most recent collective bargaining agreement, a year of service time is defined as 172 days. However, of the players that fall shot of this mark, the top 17% with at least 2 years of service time are also granted arbitration eligibility. These players are called "Super 2s". The exact amount of service time varies from year-to-year, but has been as low as 128 days and as high as 140 days although the number is usually 130-135.

If we count backwards from the end of the regular season (Sept. 28), a player that is called up on May 24 and remains on the roster for the remainder of the regular season will accumulate 128 days of service time. A player that is called up on May 12 would accumulate 140 days of service time.

The Rays will eventually want to sign Longoria to a long-term deal and the parameters of that deal will be more immediately affected by when Longoria becomes eligible for arbitration as that will be the first year that he can expect a large increase in annual salary.

So if we assume that Longoria plays well in Durham and the team does indeed consider service time in their plans, we can make an educated guess that Longoria will be promoted to the Rays on or after May 26 (Memorial Day). Promotion on this day would give Longoria 126 service days this year and in all likelihood will delay his arbitration/free agency clock by one year. Last season the Brewers accomplished this with their top prospect Ryan Braun by waiting until May 24 to promote him to the majors.

So the Rays "we're here to win now" probably has them missing out on Longoria until late in May if this blog is to be believed...

http://www.raysindex.com/2008/03/evan-longoria-media-incorrectly.html

dabomb2045
03-30-08, 03:51 PM
Stupid Rays....I drafted Longoria in two leagues....arggh

b-ball-lunachick
03-31-08, 11:35 AM
I thought this was funny:

B.J. Upton is seething mad this week after the Rays demoted uber-prospect Evan Longoria to the minor leagues.

“I really can’t believe they would do this to us,” Upton said. “Sometimes I wonder which way this team is going. I really do.”

Surprisingly, Upton indicated that his fury with the Rays stemmed not from a desire to make the playoffs, but rather from his intentions to spend all of 2008 making fun of the prospect’s name, which is unusually similar to Desperate Housewives star Eva Longoria.

“Look, I am a student of humor,” Upton said. “And this is humor. This is something that I could’ve worked with for six months, and they took it away from me. They better damn well re-imburse me for the Mrs. Tony Parker jersey that I bought, or there’s gonna be a serious problem.”
Upton said his plans for Longoria included bringing the third baseman along slowly – starting with the mocking of the name, and moving on to other, more general, rookie-focused hazing. For the last two months, Upton planned to bring both operations together in a lavish and exciting ceremony in front of the Rays’ kangaroo court, for which Upton is a magistrate.

“Now, all of my timing is off for the year,” Upton said. “The worst part is, I’m not really even ready for the baseball season. I didn’t even swing a bat in February, because I was too busy learning Photoshop. Well, that’s not the worst part – but it’s not good, that’s for sure.”

http://www.serioussportsnewsnetwork.com/2008/03/upton-furious-with-rays-over-demotion-of-evan-longoria.html

YanksFan1992
04-01-08, 07:24 PM
Tampa has exercised Carl Crawford's 2009 option.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=232715

SoCal Pinstriper
04-10-08, 12:49 PM
ST. PETERSBURG Designated hitter Cliff Floyd was "speechless" and somewhat surprised Wednesday after an MRI exam revealed a torn medial meniscus in his right knee, putting the 35-year-old veteran on the 15-day disabled list and out for four to six weeks.
RHP Matt Garza, who was put on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday with radial nerve irritation, could be out anywhere from four to six weeks, Maddon said. Garza had an MRI exam on his right arm that he said showed "everything's fine," but he won't throw for at least five days and will be reevaluated in two weeks. He also said he plans to be cautious in his comeback after seeing how former Twins teammate Francisco Liriano was injured.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article450354.ece

hardrain
04-11-08, 09:58 AM
OOOPS...I hate when that happens:

per ROTOWORLD:

According to the St. Petersburg Times, Al Reyes was arrested early Friday morning "after falling down, picking a fight and spitting blood at the patrons of a popular Hyde Park night spot."

They had to teaser the guy twice.

YASS
04-11-08, 11:55 AM
OOOPS...I hate when that happens:

per ROTOWORLD:

According to the St. Petersburg Times, Al Reyes was arrested early Friday morning "after falling down, picking a fight and spitting blood at the patrons of a popular Hyde Park night spot."

They had to teaser the guy twice.
I hope this doesn't mean Al won't be available to blow saves against my team.

Irresponsible, Al! Thirteen other teams are depending on you!

YanksFan1992
04-11-08, 07:26 PM
Longoria could be on his way to the majors:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=233828

Sixty one
04-13-08, 10:27 AM
I wonder how many times Evan Longoria is going to be called Eva by fans and benchjockeys?

YanksFan1992
04-14-08, 08:30 PM
Kazmir's scheduled to be back on May 3rd

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=234170

Big_E
04-18-08, 10:44 AM
Supposedly the Rays are going to make a major announcement at 1pm today.

My guesses:

1) Barry Bonds signs with the team
2) New stadium approved
3) Going back to the name Devil Rays

Mr. Mxylsplk
04-18-08, 10:48 AM

My guesses:

2) New stadium approved
It'd be cool if it was 2 - that stadium looks pretty neat. Probably a waste of money, but hey, it's not my money.

FoulkeLore
04-18-08, 11:03 AM

My guesses:

2) New stadium approved

I've also read/heard that it's to announce a LTD with Longoria. Fantasy owners are on the edge of their seats though. :D

Chacon
04-18-08, 11:27 AM
Rotoworld confirms that Longoria was inked

Cardinal Fan
04-18-08, 11:53 AM
http://blogs.tampabay.com/rays/2008/04/rays-to-make-ma.html

The Rays have signed 3B Evan Longoria to a long-term deal and will announce it at a 1 p.m. press conference, the Times has learned.
Longoria, 22, is considered among the game's elite prospects. He was called up last weekend, and has played just six major-league games, hitting .300. There is no official word and lots of speculation at this point, including some talk that the deal could run for nine years (with team options) and be worth close to $50-million.

DaPip1998
04-18-08, 12:21 PM
$17M after 6 games. Not bad for the kid.

Unless, of course, he really IS that good and he just lost tons of money.

Steve Dalkowski
04-18-08, 12:23 PM
How is this good for the Devil Rays?

b-ball-lunachick
04-18-08, 12:35 PM
How is this good for the Devil Rays?
I'm wondering that myself...well, for the Rays. ;)

iodon
04-18-08, 12:45 PM
At a possible $44mil for 9 years, this is a gamble for both sides. If he's good, he lost the gamble. If he's not, the Devil Rays lose 17m, which the Yankees lost on Pavano over the last season and a half. They must really trust their scouts to sign him this early, but it's not a bad gamble for the team as far as I'm concerned. They have a chance to lock up (what they think will be) an all-star (growing into his prime) for less than 5mil a year for almost a decade.

Snatch Catch
04-18-08, 12:58 PM
6/17.5?!?!

Are you serious?

The arbitration scales are out of control right now.

Cano just got $30 million for his arb years.

Longoria just gave his away for about half that, and then 3 FA years as OPTIONS!

Wow. Amazingly done by the Rays.

THEBOSS84
04-18-08, 01:14 PM
I would like the Yanks to do this with Joba and Phil. I know pitchers are a different story, but the Yanks can clearly role the dice here, and if they lose big deal - it's only money.

Snatch Catch
04-18-08, 02:03 PM
I would like the Yanks to do this with Joba and Phil. I know pitchers are a different story, but the Yanks can clearly role the dice here, and if they lose big deal - it's only money.

If it's only money, there's no reason for them to do it in the first place.

THEBOSS84
04-18-08, 02:10 PM
If it's only money, there's no reason for them to do it in the first place.

Well risking $3m a year for 6 yrs surely isn't a risk the Yankees wouldn't be willing to take. It sure beats paying Joba or Phil $10 mil in arbitration one year down the line.

Jace
04-18-08, 02:24 PM
Yeah, if Longoria just manages to stay healthy (not so easy) he's probably going to regret those option years. Weird gamble, but it seems like the Rays get more upside out of it than Longoria

YanksFan1992
04-18-08, 02:32 PM
Tampa claimed Dan Johnson from Oakland to be a DH today.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/headlines.aspx?sport=MLB

SoCal Pinstriper
04-18-08, 06:09 PM
Evan Longoria signs a nine year extension, 6 yrs guaranteed, 2013-2016 options.

Money not reported (I'm watching Rays broadcast).

ST. PETERSBURG — Rookie third baseman Evan Longoria and the Tampa Bay Rays agreed Friday to a $17.5 million, six-year contract, a deal that could be worth up to $44.5 million over nine seasons.

Taken third overall in the 2006 amateur draft, Longoria appeared in just six major league game before agreeing to the deal. If he isn't sent down to the minors again, he would be guaranteed $19 million. http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080418.wsptrays18/GSStory/GlobeSportsBaseball/home

cliftonite
04-18-08, 08:45 PM
No way I sign that contract if Im Longoria....

YanksFan1992
04-22-08, 06:10 PM

Rays have acquired OF Gabe Gross from Milwaukee for RHP Josh Butler

b-ball-lunachick
04-24-08, 08:18 PM
Reading this article, you can't help but feel sorry for Kazmir...good old Rays. :D

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080423&content_id=2574082&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

b-ball-lunachick
04-24-08, 08:30 PM
We're still less than a month in but it's amazing to me that Tampa's bullpen has the lowest ERA in the majors (2.49)...Percival's only pitched 7 innings but he has 3 saves and only gave up one hit...

The rest of the AL East ranks:

#5 Toronto (3.27 ERA)
#9 Baltimore (3.5)
#14 Yankees (3.82)
#24 Red Sox (5.03)

killa3312
04-24-08, 10:15 PM
We're still less than a month in but it's amazing to me that Tampa's bullpen has the lowest ERA in the majors (2.49)...Percival's only pitched 7 innings but he has 3 saves and only gave up one hit...

#5 Toronto (3.27 ERA)
#9 Baltimore (3.5)
#14 Yankees (3.82)
#24 Red Sox (5.03)

They made some sneaky quiet moves in the offseason in signing Miller (a very good lefty specialist) and Percival. Additionally, Wheelr has bounced back thus far from an off year and is looking like the pitcher of old. They have talent in their pen this year, unlike last season.

It's pretty amazing that Tampa is .500 with all the injuries they've had. Once Kazmir and Garza get back, Tampa is going to make a run at 80 wins this season. Nothing special, but a big step forward for them. This team has some real legitimate talent

shotz
04-27-08, 05:06 PM
Thank You Tampa :clap: :clap: :clap: :gulp: http://re3.yt-thm-a02.yimg.com/image/25/m8/4183765935

jbauer2485
04-27-08, 06:08 PM

#5 Toronto (3.27 ERA)
#9 Baltimore (3.5)
#14 Yankees (3.82)
#24 Red Sox (5.03)

It isn't that surprising to me, they've actually got some good relievers, Wheeler for one.

Sixty one
05-02-08, 03:30 PM
Great job this first month of the new baseball season. Hopefully, Tampa can now compete and beat the Red Sox and Blue jays.....just so they don't beat up our Yankees.;) ;)

Sixty one
05-14-08, 01:20 PM
Hey Tampa!.....enough already. Stop beating up on my yanks and save those last minute victories against Boston and the rest of the league.:eek: :eek:

The FUTURE
05-14-08, 08:02 PM
and too think, they have a lot more talent waiting to come up in the minors over the next couple years.

YanksFan1992
05-14-08, 08:23 PM
Tampa Bay has signed Kazmir to a 3 year extension.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=237642

SoCal Pinstriper
05-16-08, 03:14 PM
Owner Stuart Sternberg is not going to remain at Tropicana Field through 2027, the final year of the Rays' lease. He made that clear just about a year ago this week when he said the stadium was nearly obsolete.
So figure out for yourself where this story goes if the waterfront proposal doesn't reach referendum, or isn't approved by city voters.
Sternberg will take it as an indication the city isn't committed to the Rays. Whether that is fair is not really the point. The reality is he will have 10 years of poor attendance, a mediocre building and a rejection by the community, and that will be more than enough for Major League Baseball to consider this a failing location.
Does that mean Sternberg would have an army of lawyers seeking ways to break the lease for a possible move to Charlotte or Portland? The closer we get to the stadium's debt service being paid off in 2017, the more plausible that prospect will seem. Does it mean Sternberg will talk to investment bankers about selling the team? That's harder to imagine but, like Lightning owner Bill Davidson, he is an out-of-town businessman with no loyalties here.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article508958.ece

Prison Mike
05-16-08, 08:42 PM
I really wish the Rays weren't in the AL East. They'd be a fun team to track a root for.

Sixty one
05-25-08, 09:45 AM
The fact that they are nine games over five hundred they should be drawing at least 25 thou a game. When are their fans going to wake up and realize that they may have a team that is on the rise and could be threatening the Yanks and Red Sox??

ChewieTobbacca
05-25-08, 04:00 PM
10 games above .500 now? Pretty amazing. They could go for 90 wins :eek:

bobbymagee
05-25-08, 04:22 PM
10 games above .500 now? Pretty amazing. They could go for 90 wins :eek:

90 wins.....mmmmmmm. Nice optimism. I'd think around 82 to 85 at the most.

NZ NYY Fan
05-26-08, 05:04 PM
I really wish the Rays weren't in the AL East. They'd be a fun team to track a root for.

I very much agree. Instead I wish the yankees had their first baseman, and a couple of their starting pitchers, and price in the minors

YanksFan1992
05-29-08, 10:00 PM
Bad news for the Rays, as their closer Troy Percival is headed to the 15 day DL.

just-blaze
06-02-08, 10:09 PM
This team is unstoppable.....

THEBOSS84
06-04-08, 04:37 PM
First Percival and now Pena:

The St. Petersburg Times reports that the Rays will place Carlos Pena on the disabled list with a fractured left finger.

Pena suffered the injury when he was hit by a pitch in his first at-bat on Tuesday. He stayed in the game and doubled and homered, but apparently the injury is serious enough to merit a trip to the disabled list. The Rays are expected to recall outfielder Justin Ruggiano, and Eric Hinske will likely see increased time at first base. Jun. 4 - 4:28 pm et

YASS
06-04-08, 04:42 PM
First Percival and now Pena:
Wow. I got home late and missed the HBP, but I saw the double and HR. There was zero indication he was hurting during those at-bats. Both balls were crushed.

fredgmuggs
06-05-08, 07:33 PM
BJ Upton sure is smooth in the outfield.

Eldee5
06-12-08, 08:46 PM
There seems to be some good news for Rocco Baldelli, who is one of my favorite players:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article619525.ece

ROCC-ING ON: OF Rocco Baldelli played in the final extended spring training game Wednesday in St. Petersburg, going 0-for-5, and said he feels good enough to join a minor-league team.

"This is probably the first time since the beginning of spring training where I actually felt that I was going to be coming back and playing," Baldelli told the Associated Press. Baldelli, 26, has been sidelined with a rare disorder that causes muscle fatigue in his legs.

b-ball-lunachick
06-14-08, 04:19 AM
There seems to be some good news for Rocco Baldelli, who is one of my favorite players:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article619525.ece
that is great news. :) I always liked him a lot too..

I read somewhere that he's been told it's a mitochondrial disorder..didn't know too much about it but it doesn't sound like a great thing to have...

http://www.medicinenet.com/mitochondrial_disease/article.htm

Prison Mike
06-15-08, 10:30 AM
ESPNews reports that Griffey is considering waiving his NTC for the Rays.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
06-15-08, 02:34 PM
ESPNews reports that Griffey is considering waiving his NTC for the Rays.

I just saw that.

Pretty interesting to say the least, but I don't know if the Rays would be willing to pay.

Bronson'sCornrows
06-15-08, 06:39 PM
Is veteran leadership overrated, or would this be the type of move that solidifies the locker room and boosts the Rays to their first playoff berth? I really don't think it will happen, but could make things very interesting if it does.

NYYDragoon
06-15-08, 06:51 PM
Griffey's agent says it's not true:

Griffey's agent, Brian Goldberg, told MLB.com on Sunday that he didn't know where the story came from.

"Nobody has mentioned anything to Junior or I," Goldberg said. "It's got to be a media member thinking out loud."

Goldberg added that no trade proposals have been brought to Griffey [...].
Full Story (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080615&content_id=2933352&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

gold23
06-15-08, 08:44 PM
Be curious to see what Griffey could bring to the Reds in a package. As a Yankee fan, I'd probably be happy with this type of deal as I think Griffey is close to the end.

BronxBombersMRP
06-15-08, 08:53 PM
I just heard that as well about Griffey. It would be interesting to see how that goes. I know he's passed his prime but he would def be a big asset to the Rays, which is the last thing the Yankees need as they try to make up some games in the east.

In Mo I Trust
06-15-08, 09:04 PM
Why would the Rays give up anything of value for Griffey?

gold23
06-16-08, 06:59 AM
I hope it happens. Have to assume the Reds wouldn't simply give him away- especially in June- so I imagine that there would be some prospect exchange in there. I honestly do think that Griffey is a shell of himself and can absolutely be pitched to. In fact, I might prefer facing Griffey than a guy he would replace (say Hinske, who owns a bunch of Yanks anyway).

YanksFan1992
06-27-08, 06:58 PM
Not only are the Rays up 7-0 in the third against Pittsburgh, but they got Carlos Pena back from the DL as well. :eek:

BigCheese
07-01-08, 12:53 PM
Does anybody know how far along David Price is (their #1 draft pick from last year)? Is he likely to join the team this year? Here's his description from Wikipedia:

"Price throws a fastball that maintains 94-97 mi/hr (151-156 km/h) and peaks at 99 mi/hr (159 km/h) with good tailing action from right-handed batters. His best pitch, however, is a slider that averages 87mph with a very late and sharp break."

If they get a Joba-like arm in their bullpen, they could really challenge for the division title.

tdel23
07-01-08, 01:12 PM
I didn't hear the whole thing but Kay last night said he is on an innings limit this year and there is talk of putting him in their pen for the 2nd half of the year.

b-ball-lunachick
07-01-08, 02:08 PM
Does anybody know how far along David Price is (their #1 draft pick from last year)? Is he likely to join the team this year? Here's his description from Wikipedia:

"Price throws a fastball that maintains 94-97 mi/hr (151-156 km/h) and peaks at 99 mi/hr (159 km/h) with good tailing action from right-handed batters. His best pitch, however, is a slider that averages 87mph with a very late and sharp break."

If they get a Joba-like arm in their bullpen, they could really challenge for the division title.
I heard someone being interviewed the other day (Gammons maybe?) and he said they were hoping to bring him up in August...I don't think they have a definitive timetable yet..

I watched him pitch against the Yankees in Spring Training and the guy has a very very live arm.

DaSh 1s
07-01-08, 06:06 PM
I was looking through the Rays website today and looking through their shop. It is amazing to see how much different of a franchise they are. They do not have one replica jersey with a name on the back. Not one T shirt with a name on the back. The only Player jerseys you can buy are a authentic Upton or Longoria jersey for 250 dollars a piece. Not to mention only four different T shirts!! Have a look yourself:

http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2929300&cp=2929293

b-ball-lunachick
07-01-08, 06:35 PM
I was looking through the Rays website today and looking through their shop. It is amazing to see how much different of a franchise they are. They do not have one replica jersey with a name on the back. Not one T shirt with a name on the back. The only Player jerseys you can buy are a authentic Upton or Longoria jersey for 250 dollars a piece. Not to mention only four different T shirts!! Have a look yourself:

http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2929300&cp=2929293
Even more surprising when we were at the Trop this year, they were selling almost as much Yankee stuff as Rays stuff. :D

YASS
07-01-08, 06:41 PM
Even more surprising when we were at the Trop this year, they were selling almost as much Yankee stuff as Rays stuff. :D
I bought my son his favorite David Ortiz 3/4 sleeve t-shirt at the Trop. It was a bargain, too.

NZ NYY Fan
07-01-08, 10:01 PM
I'm happy they are beating the sox.
Jeez - look at that Rotation - Shields, Garza, and Kazmir this series, then Jackon and Sonnastine.
It may be the best rotation in baseball at the moment
Pena has hardly given them anything, and they are 51-32.

Lose Troy Percival, and Grant Balfour steps up nicely today.

its all pitching - Navarro is the only regular hitting over .300. I reckon their hitting must be timely, unlike ours. Longaria is the main power threat, and will win Rookie of the year most likely.

If only we could win to captilise on their success.

YanksFan1992
07-02-08, 06:59 AM
Troy Percival has been placed on the DL.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=242713

blumj
07-02-08, 07:19 AM
Troy Percival has been placed on the DL.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=242713
They probably still have as good a bullpen as anyone even without him.

Sixty one
07-02-08, 10:47 AM
Too bad Rocco Baldelli is missing all the fun that his Rays are having. I feel sorry for him that he can't be part of this team.

WebsterMulligan
07-02-08, 11:16 PM
The Rays are for real.

Question is, can they win at Fenway?

BigCheese
07-02-08, 11:21 PM
I have to admit... I enjoy watching them play, particularly when they're beating up on the Red Sox.

Don't get me wrong, though. I want the Yankees to crush the everytime.

Tabata
07-03-08, 01:57 AM
There sure are a lot of Rays games live over here now.

YanksFan1992
07-03-08, 03:21 AM
I have to admit... I enjoy watching them play, particularly when they're beating up on the Red Sox.

Don't get me wrong, though. I want the Yankees to crush the everytime.

Me too, and I really think it's time say their for real.

I'm hoping we win the division and they get the wild card (and then we sweep them in the ALCS ;)).

yankeeman61
07-03-08, 10:02 AM
Twenty games over .500.......20 over

Who ever would have thought?

4bronxbombers
07-04-08, 06:02 PM

:giveup:

The FUTURE
07-05-08, 07:30 PM
just imagine how good they will be once they get guys like J.Niemann,R.Brignac,F.Perez,W.Davis,J.McGee,D.Price,R.Reid,J.Jaso,D.Jennings,R.Royster,T.Beckham.

YASS
07-05-08, 07:34 PM
just imagine how good they will be once they get guys like J.Niemann,R.Brignac,F.Perez,W.Davis,J.McGee,D.Price,R.Reid,J.Jaso,D.Jennings,R.Royster,T.Beckham.
I hope they'll use some of their revenue from increased ticket sales to buy some first names for those guys.

blumj
07-05-08, 07:49 PM

If I remember right, Pecota had them pegged for 90+ wins.

It was 90.

Prison Mike
07-05-08, 07:58 PM

McGee is having TJ surgery this week- but that list is ridiculous.

Hellickson isn't chopped liver either.

Mel Marquis
07-05-08, 08:43 PM
Me too, and I really think it's time say their for real.

I'm hoping we win the division and they get the wild card (and then we sweep them in the ALCS ;)).

They are absolutely a very solid team but they are also on heckuva roll right now - reminds me alot of Colorado last season. Every break is going there way and they make you beat them. Interesting to see how long they ride out this current streak for.

As Hal Holbrook told Bud Fox in Wall Street "You're on a hot streak, kid. Enjoy it while it lasts... cuz they never do." :)

Messerwhitescooter
07-06-08, 08:15 PM
Just wondering if anyone know what Neil Diamond song the Tampa Bay stadium deejay was playing after the last game of the Rays' sweep of the Sox last week? I heard reference to it on a sports call in show in New England over the weekend.

BigCheese
07-07-08, 12:47 AM
Just wondering if anyone know what Neil Diamond song the Tampa Bay stadium deejay was playing after the last game of the Rays' sweep of the Sox last week? I heard reference to it on a sports call in show in New England over the weekend.

It was probably "Sweet Caroline," a song they play between the 8th and 9th innings at Fenway Park.

Red Sox fans would have you believe it has long been a tradition at Fenway Park, dating far back (and thereby claim it as their own), but it's actually a fairly recent addition.

According to wikipedia, it started with the Rangers (hockey), and worked itself around to many different sports venues.

Hilarious the Devil Rays would play it to rub it in...

just-blaze
07-07-08, 12:50 AM

Not to take away from the Rays but the bolded aren't exactly tearing up AAA and AA.

We have lesser known prospects doing as well or better than those 2.

And like someone else just mentioned, Niemann just had TJS.

Edit: i meant McGee

Edit pt. II: I could just about match a prospect from our system player for player that you just mentioned that has the similar ceiling/results.

Yankees1962
07-07-08, 12:55 AM
Actually Jake McGee is having TJS. Niemann just threw a complete game and SO 12 batters on July 2nd.

Messerwhitescooter
07-07-08, 06:29 AM
It was probably "Sweet Caroline," a song they play between the 8th and 9th innings at Fenway Park.

Red Sox fans would have you believe it has long been a tradition at Fenway Park, dating far back (and thereby claim it as their own), but it's actually a fairly recent addition.

According to wikipedia, it started with the Rangers (hockey), and worked itself around to many different sports venues.

Thanks for the info.

Red Sox fans have something else to whine about.

bobbymagee
07-07-08, 12:03 PM

Not declaring omnipotence here, but last year all of the signs were beginning to show their organizational progress. I've noticed the Florida Marlins before the 2003 season and the plethora of talent. Now here come the Rays.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You very much....

gold23
07-07-08, 12:20 PM
Well....I am still quite skeptical of their ability to keep it up for 162 games. Don't get me wrong- this far above .500 has them poised to be a contender throughout unless they revert totally to pre-2008 standards, which I don't expect. But...

Their biggest difference, IMO, is the pen. And unless they change some names in there, I 100% expect it to be worse (possibly considerably) the second half of the year. Just about everyone is wildly overperforming their expected performance, and that is singularly the one area that can submarine a ballclub.

Longoria is the real deal. Whether he goes through a period of adjustment that many go through remains to be seen. If he does, that will be a hole. Their offense, as many have noted, has players who are playing at or near where they typically play- some below, with the exception of Longoria and Navarro. Defense is very good, and is the one constant that will not change.

Kazmir gets hurt every year, and if he goes down that is going to be devastating. Their starters have all been consistently good to very good, and with the youth on that staff it is VERY hard to imagine it being that consistent the whole season.

Don't get me wrong. This is an excellent young team. THey just haven't had a rough patch yet, and it's hard not to expect them to face that patch at some point. I think they will be a good team from here on out, but one that is still in development. I would not, however, be surprised by a Tigers-like nosedive from a few years back.

The FUTURE
07-07-08, 12:58 PM
Not to take away from the Rays but the bolded aren't exactly tearing up AAA and AA.

We have lesser known prospects doing as well or better than those 2.

And like someone else just mentioned, Niemann just had TJS.

Edit: i meant McGee

Edit pt. II: I could just about match a prospect from our system player for player that you just mentioned that has the similar ceiling/results.

David Price ???? Tim Beckham ??? you CAN'T match those guys.

besides I was by no means saying that they had better prospects than the yankees or something like that. I was simply saying they are a good ball club now and have some pieces down on their farm that they can use to upgrade the current team. Once playoff time comes around and the rays start bringing up some of those power arms they have stashed away in the minors, they are going to improve a bit, thats all i was saying.

gold23
07-07-08, 03:56 PM
David Price ???? Tim Beckham ??? you CAN'T match those guys.

besides I was by no means saying that they had better prospects than the yankees or something like that. I was simply saying they are a good ball club now and have some pieces down on their farm that they can use to upgrade the current team. Once playoff time comes around and the rays start bringing up some of those power arms they have stashed away in the minors, they are going to improve a bit, thats all i was saying.

The Joba Chamberlain's of the world are the large exception, not the rule. No doubt the Rays have some amazing arms in the minors- but to expect them to come up and succeed at the ML level right away is expecting a lot.

The FUTURE
07-07-08, 04:12 PM
The Joba Chamberlain's of the world are the large exception, not the rule. No doubt the Rays have some amazing arms in the minors- but to expect them to come up and succeed at the ML level right away is expecting a lot.

when david price comes up, ill be expecting a lot. way more than i was expecting from Joba and thats saying something.

b-ball-lunachick
07-07-08, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the info.

Red Sox fans have something else to whine about.
to be honest, that would piss me off too if I was a Sox fan or player...I'm more old school though -- I like the "act like you've been there before" attitude...

b-ball-lunachick
07-08-08, 09:44 PM
hmm, interesting quote by Kazmir before tonight's game:

We've got the Yankees that are kind of, you know, in desperate mode," said pitcher Scott Kazmir, the former Mets New York Mets farmhand. "It's going to be exciting."

Hope that was exciting enough for you Scott! ;)

Vin
07-08-08, 09:59 PM
I'd love to see BJ Upton pitch.

THEBOSS84
07-10-08, 08:11 PM
I'm loving this slump that the Rays are in. Hopefully they question themselves now.

TommyK8
07-10-08, 08:22 PM
I'm loving this slump that the Rays are in. Hopefully they question themselves now.I have a feeling that this is going to be a very long weekend for the Rays....they are heading into the all-star break, and Cleveland is overdue to take it out on some team soon....I think it will be the Rays.

Panamaniac42
07-10-08, 08:55 PM
I wonder how the back of their rotation is going to hold up. The 1-2 should be fine but the back 3 will all be venturing into uncharted territory, setting new career highs in IP.

Dave Visbeck
07-10-08, 09:49 PM
I like Tampa Bay when they are playing on the road. I'm glad they still have nine games to play before catching up with their home total games played.

Big_E
07-13-08, 11:43 AM
Something I never thought I'd see...the Rays planning for the post-season...

Cap080279
07-13-08, 11:57 PM
Something I never thought I'd see...the Rays planning for the post-season...

I wouldn't take those days off work just yet if I were a Rays fan.

YankeePride1967
07-14-08, 06:37 AM
I have a feeling that this is going to be a very long weekend for the Rays....they are heading into the all-star break, and Cleveland is overdue to take it out on some team soon....I think it will be the Rays.

You called it!

TheoShmeo
07-14-08, 02:43 PM
Then again, the Rays haven't won since they played it.

SoCal Pinstriper
08-07-08, 02:31 PM
Orioles reliever Chad Bradford has been assigned to the Tampa Bay Rays, via a waiver claim. In exchange, the Orioles will receive a player to be named later. http://masnsports.com/2008/08/trade-made.html

Can't believe somebody didn't block this.

YASS
08-07-08, 02:43 PM
http://masnsports.com/2008/08/trade-made.html

Can't believe somebody didn't block this.
Seriously. That's a bullpen upgrade for them, I think. Bradford's pretty effective against righthanders.

26 and counting
08-10-08, 08:47 AM
The Devil Rays have already tied a team record with 70 wins. And it's only August 10th.

Yeah, I still call them the Devil Rays.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-10-08, 01:32 PM
The Devil Rays have already tied a team record with 70 wins. And it's only August 10th.

Yeah, I still call them the Devil Rays.

I generally call them the <s>Devil</s> Rays.

roblyo33
08-10-08, 02:00 PM
Call them what you want..............by any name they are pretty damn good!!!!

THEBOSS84
08-10-08, 04:29 PM
Crawford on the DL with a hand injury, Baldelli called up to replace him.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-10-08, 05:53 PM
Crawford on the DL with a hand injury, Baldelli called up to replace him.

Hopefully Baldelli is rusty.

yankeesAZ
08-10-08, 10:23 PM
Glad to see Baldelli back today when I went to the game. He has been through quite a bit and there were some in the crowd that recognized that and applauded him as he came up to bat.

Jilali
08-10-08, 10:41 PM
I look at their lineup, and I can't see how they do it. And yet they continue to win.

What is it? Pitching and defense and timely hitting? Lotsa luck?

JPC74
08-11-08, 10:40 AM
I look at their lineup, and I can't see how they do it. And yet they continue to win.

They are insanely good at home.

roblyo33
08-11-08, 11:29 AM

Pitching and a never quit style of play........IMO.

Brick Tamland
08-11-08, 01:51 PM

They have great to solid starting pitching 1-5. They are comprised of top of the 1st round draft picks. They are resiliant, confident and have a great manager. And no one told them they aren't supposed to beat the Sox and Yanks.

yankeeman61
08-11-08, 02:50 PM
While it's understandable to think they are in trouble the next few games, does anyone realize they are 4-2 against the Angels this year?

EvanJ
08-11-08, 05:15 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080811&content_id=3291909&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Evan Longoria to the disbaled list.

26 and counting
08-11-08, 05:23 PM
Does anybody else find it insane that at the end of October we could be watching a Tampa Bay-Milwaukee World Series?

As far as I'm concerned, anybody from the National League can make it to the World Series as long as it's not the stupid Mets. As for the AL, if the Yankees don't make the playoffs (which is a very likely chance at this point), I'll be rooting for the Rays.

sjb23
08-11-08, 05:40 PM
Prediction:

This team will go 4-8 (or worse) over the next 12 games. They're in trouble. By the time the Yankees come to Tampa for a 3-game set on Sept 2, the two teams will be jockeying for 1st place in the AL East along with the Red Sox.

You can take out a loan against your home and bet on it -- the Tampa Bay Rays are going down......

Cheesyhoboe
08-11-08, 05:41 PM
The Rays have been injury-free all season compared to most teams, and the ones they did have were nothing major (Bartlett out, Kazmir and Garza out for 2 weeks, Pena out for 3 weeks, Percival here and there). About time the injury bug came around and bit them, too.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-11-08, 06:46 PM
Does anybody else find it insane that at the end of October we could be watching a Tampa Bay-Milwaukee World Series?

As far as I'm concerned, anybody from the National League can make it to the World Series as long as it's not the stupid Mets. As for the AL, if the Yankees don't make the playoffs (which is a very likely chance at this point), I'll be rooting for the Rays.

Conversely, I'll be rooting for the Rays to get swept in the ALDS, become dejected, and lose 90 games in 2009.*

*Yes, I realize they won't be losing 90 games for a long time to come.

wexy
08-11-08, 07:25 PM
I just got a card from Hofstra where I went to school . The alumni of the year is Randy Frankel one of the Rays owners who owns Windham Ski Resort. I was friendly with him in school. He could party. I have no idea how he got so rich.

LeapsNbounds
08-11-08, 07:33 PM
Longoria and Crawford on the DL with hand/wrist injuries.

It will be interesting to see how resilient these Rays are.

Imperialism
08-11-08, 08:19 PM
The Rays have been injury-free all season compared to most teams, and the ones they did have were nothing major (Bartlett out, Kazmir and Garza out for 2 weeks, Pena out for 3 weeks, Percival here and there). About time the injury bug came around and bit them, too.

Kazmir missed all of April, not two weeks. At one point we had eight players on the DL, including Garza, Kazmir, Navarro, and Floyd). Plus there's that whole Rocco Baldelli thing. I mean, all three of our all-star reps will have spent time on the DL. Floyd is no big loss, I'll grant that. Garza's one of the better #3 starters in the league. Maybe we haven't had a crushing season-ending injury(though it looks like Crawford might be lost for the year), but to act like the injury bug hasn't bitten Tampa Bay is just wrong.

Jilali
08-11-08, 09:07 PM
Ouch. Crawford and Longoria--their two best field players and bats. That's going to be tough to overcome.

Not to mention I've got Longoria on my fant. team. Lucky I just traded away Crawford!

Brick Tamland
08-12-08, 09:43 AM
Without Crawford and Longoria, this should get interesting. Can this team overcome adversity? If they can hold on, it will only make them stronger in the playoffs.

4bronxbombers
08-12-08, 10:09 AM
Crawford and Longoria out....this should be interesting to see what happens. They still have good starting pitching though.

Sixty one
08-12-08, 04:08 PM
Glad to see Baldelli back today when I went to the game. He has been through quite a bit and there were some in the crowd that recognized that and applauded him as he came up to bat.

I hope he stays healthy. He had a tremendous career ahead of him and hopefully, this latest problem is over and he can be productive again. I'd still like to see him patrolling centerfield for the Yankees.:D :D

Vin
08-12-08, 06:54 PM
Now Maddon knows what happens when he takes out our catcher :D

teknetic
08-12-08, 08:45 PM
Looks like Crawford might be done for the year. Needs surgery on his hand; out 6-8 weeks.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080812&content_id=3297092&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Rice14
08-13-08, 10:23 AM
Crawford has elected to have surgery, likely out rest of regular season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3532847

TW9
08-13-08, 11:28 AM
Crawford has elected to have surgery, likely out rest of regular season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3532847

I think the Longoria and Crawford injuries will sink the D-Rays. I expect Boston to reel them in within the next 2-3 weeks. The Red Sox have their own problems with Wakefield and Lowell due to miss some time and Papi's wrist being a constant concern. The D-Rays starters have been faultering of late..Garza and Jackson have been pretty bad and Kazmir is a 5 IP. Shields has been their best starter... The Red Sox, even with their injuries, have the best starting 3 in the division. Beckett, Matsuzaka, and Lester have all been pitching very well lately and all but guarantee the Sox will not have an extended losing streak. Okajima and Papelbon have been lights out as of late and give the Sox an advantage over any other combo in the division in terms of closing out games.

The Red Sox will win this division....The Rays will battle the White Sox/Minn loser for the WC. The Yankees COULD get back into it IF Chamberlain and Hughes come back strong and somebody steps up to bridge the gap to MO...

Brick Tamland
08-13-08, 11:50 AM
I think the Longoria and Crawford injuries will sink the D-Rays. I expect Boston to reel them in within the next 2-3 weeks. The Red Sox have their own problems with Wakefield and Lowell due to miss some time and Papi's wrist being a constant concern. The D-Rays starters have been faultering of late..Garza and Jackson have been pretty bad and Kazmir is a 5 IP. Shields has been their best starter... The Red Sox, even with their injuries, have the best starting 3 in the division. Beckett, Matsuzaka, and Lester have all been pitching very well lately and all but guarantee the Sox will not have an extended losing streak. Okajima and Papelbon have been lights out as of late and give the Sox an advantage over any other combo in the division in terms of closing out games.

The Red Sox will win this division....The Rays will battle the White Sox/Minn loser for the WC. The Yankees COULD get back into it IF Chamberlain and Hughes come back strong and somebody steps up to bridge the gap to MO...

I could see that happening but I think the Rays will show more resiliance than you think. They are in unfimiliar territory right new being in first but Maddon is a very good manager and he's going to get everything he can out of these kids down the stretch and he certainly has them believing in themselves. Should make for an entertaining finish.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-13-08, 11:06 PM
Looks like Crawford might be done for the year. Needs surgery on his hand; out 6-8 weeks.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080812&content_id=3297092&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Yikes. Looks like Baldelli, if he can be productive at all, came back at just the right time.

THEBOSS84
08-14-08, 07:37 PM
Yikes. Looks like Baldelli, if he can be productive at all, came back at just the right time.

Too bad for Baldelli, I really feel bad for this guy:

Rocco Baldelli left Thursday's game after sliding awkwardly at home plate.

That didn't take long. There's no word on the severity, but for now, Jason Bartlett went in at short with Ben Zobrist headed out to left and Justin Ruggiano to right.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-14-08, 07:45 PM
Too bad for Baldelli, I really feel bad for this guy:

Wow, hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Mr. Mxylsplk
08-14-08, 08:30 PM
That guy needs to live in a rubber room.

VanHalen5150
08-14-08, 08:41 PM

You are forgetting about David Price. The Rays will call him up soon and he will have a big impact on the pennant race.

Rice14
08-15-08, 08:21 PM
Troy Percival to the DL for at least 2-3 weeks with a knee injury.

Imperialism
08-15-08, 08:59 PM
Troy Percival to the DL for at least 2-3 weeks with a knee injury.

Speaking as a Rays fan, this doesn't hurt at all. He was getting the job done, but he's a results-based guy. The process? Not as fun. Hardly ever seemed like there was a 1-2-3 inning with him. Grant Balfour likely moves to the closer's role, and he's been dynamite this year. Plus we called Juan Salas up from AAA, so it's not like we had to bring up some scrub,

Rice14
08-19-08, 09:58 PM
So much for the Rays folding due to their injuries.

They now own the best record in the AL.

Sixty one
08-21-08, 08:51 PM
How long will Baldelli be out with his latest injury? Anyone know?

Dave Visbeck
08-22-08, 05:23 PM
Just my hunch. Even with playing this well for so long, I really think that Tampa is gonna have one hell-of-a-time in September - beginning September 2. They just havent been in a position like this before to withstand it. So many games on the road. They also finish on the road with 8 games in 7 days ... and don't they have another game to make up at some time? When would that be?

Right now they lead by 4.5. Will it be enough? I don't think so.

Sixty one
08-23-08, 10:07 AM
Just my hunch. Even with playing this well for so long, I really think that Tampa is gonna have one hell-of-a-time in September - beginning September 2. They just havent been in a position like this before to withstand it. So many games on the road. They also finish on the road with 8 games in 7 days ... and don't they have another game to make up at some time? When would that be?

I think they will stay in first place because I feel that the Yankees are going to act like spoilers and beat the Red Sox often enough for the Rays to hang on to first place.;) ;)

Seth
08-23-08, 11:00 AM
They also finish on the road with 8 games in 7 days ... and don't they have another game to make up at some time? When would that be?
I think the Rays have a doubleheader at Baltimore on September 23rd. I believe it's a makeup game for a rainout in early April.

Dave Visbeck
08-24-08, 11:02 PM
I think they will stay in first place because I feel that the Yankees are going to act like spoilers and beat the Red Sox often enough for the Rays to hang on to first place.;) ;)

:eek: But what your six games played against the Rays? You're tellin' me that your team is just gonna roll over against them are ya ... to keep them in first place? :scared: :P What good will that do anybody? :-shrug-: ;) ;)

Dave Visbeck
08-24-08, 11:03 PM
I think the Rays have a doubleheader at Baltimore on September 23rd. I believe it's a makeup game for a rainout in early April.

Okay ... thanks Seth. That would explain the eight games in their final week.

Centerhero
08-25-08, 02:30 AM
Wake up! The Rays are for real.

keg411
08-25-08, 01:18 PM
Tampa got massively screwed by (who else?) AJ Pierzynski on an awful call in yesterday's game.

Yankee Tripper
08-25-08, 01:58 PM

They currently have the worst BA w/RISP in the AL. You'd think with the law of averages that will improve.

They should be getting Longoria back in about a week which will also help the offense.

Meanwhile the Yankees have 3 huge question marks in the rotation and CF who should be DHing but has to play CF becuase their other options are offensive black hole and are 10+ GB.

The Red Sox are closest but last I check they are without Lowell and Drew on offense and Papi is slumping. Beckett has arm issues that I personally think are more serious than Boston is letting on and I think his season might be in jepordy - this is speculation on my part no news or link. Oh and outside of Papelbon the Boston pen is pretty much a mess.

Stanger things have happened but I'd be less surpised at both the Yanks and Red Sox missing the post season this year than I would be with Red Sox catching the Rays. This has every thing to do with the ease of MIN and CSOX schedules.

cupcollector99
08-25-08, 02:35 PM
September is the month where October dreams have become nightmares. I'm not wishing a collapse on them but stranger things have happened, just look at the Mets last year. I hope they can pull this off and leave Boston off the post season schedule too.

BRONXBOMBERS06
08-25-08, 02:53 PM
I'd rather the Rays than the Red Sox

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-25-08, 04:27 PM

If they both make the playoffs, I want them both swept in the first round. Maybe the Rays' spirits will be crushed and they'll be terrible next year.

Doubtful, but I can dream.

cubhater
08-25-08, 05:45 PM
Tampa got massively screwed by (who else?) AJ Pierzynski on an awful call in yesterday's game.

Obstructing the runner calls happen every game.:P

Seriously, TB screwed up before the AJ play. Their catcher should have held on to the throw in the 9th which would've ended the game there, they couldn't score with the bases loaded in the top of the 10th, and allowed AJ to move to second on a fly ball just before the obstruction call.

I'll admit that I havn't seen a lot of the Rays this year but from what I saw this weekend, they're a team that doesn't quit and should've swept the series.

cubhater
08-25-08, 05:50 PM

Same here. But then ESPN will saturate us with stories during its post season coverage about why Tampa got lucky and how the Red Sox will be the favorites next year.

Sixty one
08-31-08, 10:10 AM
Glad to see that Rocco had the game winning hit yesterday. I still hope that somewhere down the line if he stays healthy that he is traded to the Yanks to be their centerfielder.

Jersey Yankee
08-31-08, 06:32 PM
September is the month where October dreams have become nightmares. I'm not wishing a collapse on them but stranger things have happened, just look at the Mets last year. I hope they can pull this off and leave Boston off the post season schedule too.
If we weren't losing so much, I'd likely disagree, since I'd like us to win. However, I'll let them be the Plan B for now.

NZ NYY Fan
08-31-08, 10:08 PM
They seem to never lose. A .622 winning percantage testifies that they do - but not often enough

Dave Visbeck
09-01-08, 04:53 PM
Hell on wheels coming up soon.

Bostonsfavson
09-01-08, 08:12 PM
Hell on wheels coming up soon.

We seem to play them pretty well, at least. Plus, there's a good chance they're tired from beating the crap out of Baltimore so badly.

Dave Visbeck
09-03-08, 09:20 PM
Tampa ... welcome to September.

YASS
09-03-08, 09:31 PM
Was that the first ever use of the instant replay equipment on A-Rod's home run?

I'm blacked out for the game, so I couldn't see it. Did they get it right?

kan_t
09-03-08, 09:34 PM
Was that the first ever use of the instant replay equipment on A-Rod's home run?

Yes they did.

mentalgidget
09-03-08, 09:39 PM
I'm hoping that the ump saw a better angle than what they showed on ESPN. That angle was inconclusive, at best. If they are going to do instant replay, put the cameras where they need to be, directly in line with the foul poles. How hard can that be in a dome?!

Rice14
09-03-08, 10:04 PM

I thought it went right over the foul pole.

They didn't have a perfect camera angle,but it looked good to me.

Dave Visbeck
09-06-08, 03:04 PM
Nice 3-run game-tying comeback in the 9th inning of today's game against Toronto.

Jersey Yankee
09-06-08, 04:24 PM
Zaun homered to right, Wells, Overbay and Rolen scored.

Jays win this one in the 13th. Hopefully, Beantown also loses like this.

Dave Visbeck
09-06-08, 04:37 PM
Zaun homered to right, Wells, Overbay and Rolen scored.

Jays win this one in the 13th. Hopefully, Beantown also loses like this.

:scared:

a-RobinsonCano-Fan
09-06-08, 05:01 PM
Apparently, Longoria was activated to pinch run haha

Jersey Yankee
09-07-08, 10:36 AM
Tampa ... welcome to September.
Let those ex-spoilers continue getting a taste of their own medicine. Hopefully, they'll realize that there's 6 months in baseball. It seemed that their knack for beating up on contending teams in September has taken a u-turn. Now it's their turn to get their arses handed to them. :D

4bronxbombers
09-07-08, 11:29 AM
Apparently, Longoria was activated to pinch run haha

I think he's playing today right?

Jersey Yankee
09-07-08, 03:09 PM
Thank you, Birds. :)

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20080907_TB@TOR

Seth
09-08-08, 12:06 AM
Thank you, Birds. :)

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20080907_TB@TOR
I'm not sure why you're thanking the Blue Jays. Because of the Blue Jays sweeping and the Yankees inepititude in Seattle this weekend, the Yankees have dropped into 4th place a half game behind.

Hobbes40
09-10-08, 11:16 PM
Rays showed some serious heart at Fenway this series.