PDA

View Full Version : Why I dislike Henson...

DandyRandy48
06-22-01, 05:58 PM
1. He is too overrated. Sure, the dude hits some bombs in BP. Boggs used to do that, but it doesn't mean he's gonna hit a ton of bombs in games. Not a great thirdbaseman either and could not draw a walk to save his life.

2. Cocky attitude. Wow, he says he's conquered A, AA and now he's going to conquer AAA? He's optimistic (not a bad thing), but we don't need these "I'm better than everyone else in the world" attitudes on the Yankees.

3. He's only playing on the Yankee because he does not want to wait to get a championship (don't blame him, though). He knows he could make more money in the NFL, but does not want to end up on some ................ty team where it takes him a long time to win a championship or be traded to or signed by a contender.

I just wanna know why the Yankees offered a kid, who has not proven himself, a seventeen million dollar contract? I don't think he is worth it at all. I don't think he is capable of playing at the major league level. On the other hand, if he does succeed, I will applaude him and wish him the best and make many apologies here on the forum.

Now everyone knows my reasoning.

Spencerholic
06-22-01, 11:14 PM
So he's optimistic, wants to be on a winning team, and is getting a lot of hype from the media. Damn your right. I too now hate Drew Henson

madforyanks
06-23-01, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Spencerholic
So he's optimistic, wants to be on a winning team, and is getting a lot of hype from the media. Damn your right. I too now hate Drew Henson

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was taken aback by the big contract. But to me that just says that he better live up to it. Aside from that, I like his attitude--and defer to Spencerholic's great summary of it.

JeanC
06-23-01, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Cat Man
1. He is too overrated. Sure, the dude hits some bombs in BP. Boggs used to do that, but it doesn't mean he's gonna hit a ton of bombs in games. Not a great thirdbaseman either and could not draw a walk to save his life.

2. Cocky attitude. Wow, he says he's conquered A, AA and now he's going to conquer AAA? He's optimistic (not a bad thing), but we don't need these "I'm better than everyone else in the world" attitudes on the Yankees.

3. He's only playing on the Yankee because he does not want to wait to get a championship (don't blame him, though). He knows he could make more money in the NFL, but does not want to end up on some ................ty team where it takes him a long time to win a championship or be traded to or signed by a contender.

I just wanna know why the Yankees offered a kid, who has not proven himself, a seventeen million dollar contract? I don't think he is worth it at all. I don't think he is capable of playing at the major league level. On the other hand, if he does succeed, I will applaude him and wish him the best and make many apologies here on the forum.

Now everyone knows my reasoning.

ditto Catman I agree with you! The Only thing is now we have to wait & see what the Yankees organization think! Is he working himself up into
a trade for a later date! I mean to unload that much money would be great for George! Maybe get 3 teamwork players who love playing baseball just for that money that would work better with the team!

Its A Wait See Outlook Unfortunately!!!

:)

Stick Michael
06-23-01, 12:40 PM
Talk is cheap. The media can put whatever kind of spin they want on anything or anybody; it doesn't necessarily make it true. Is it possible that Henson might have a bit of an inflated head? Yeah, it's possible. Is it also possible that even if it is true that he's only 21 years old and will probably mature in due time?

Drew Henson was offered $17 million for one simple reason - because he had options. If the Yankees didn't make him an offer financially worth his while to change careers he probably would have been destined to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. Basically, he was rewarded with a huge contract because of his hard work and talent in multiple sports. Was he worth it? We shall see. If he comes up to the big leagues and embarasses himself he'll never hear the end of it...but if comes up here and lives up to the hype he'll be idolized. The truth, as it almost always does, probably lies somewhere in between.

James

CaptainCargo
06-23-01, 03:49 PM
Still a little too early to make up my mind on a Kid that just got promoted to AAA. As far as the money goes its the way of the future so we'll all just have to live with it. He'll come up to the bigs and get the minimum base salary and not care a whit. He's already gotten his. On paper he'll lower the Yanks team salary but...

Casey :NY:

Slippery Elm
06-24-01, 04:35 AM
Bill Robinson of the Columbus Clippers was on WFAN at length this morning.

He spoke glowingly of Nick Johnson in every respect, especially plate discipline AND fielding. Great power. Good to go to the Bronx.

Henson he also said was a fine person and mature and a great physical specimen. But he was "immature at the plate" - which I assume translates to lack of plate discipline; i.e, waiting for and swinging at the right pitch or walking. Robinson knows Scot Rolen of the Phillies very well and said Henson could be at least as good.

So, NJ is ready. Look out Tino.

Henson needs maybe another year, or more. A one year deal for Brosius?

KLJ
06-24-01, 10:24 AM
i don't get the negativity towards henson.. are some people afraid he will take the job from brosius? he is a great prospect.. why should we care how much pub he gets or how much of george's money he gets..?

wileedog
06-24-01, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by KLJ
i don't get the negativity towards henson.. are some people afraid he will take the job from brosius? he is a great prospect.. why should we care how much pub he gets or how much of george's money he gets..?

I agree. Untill there is an official salary cap in baseball, the contract is irrelevant (well, at least to us, probably not to George).

I haven't seen the kid play (well baseball, anyway), but I am impressed that very early in his first full season of concentrating solely on baseball he is already in AAA. And deservedly so, having mashed AA pitching. That is very impressive, not matter what your contract status.

That being said, unless he just tears up AAA (and he hasn't so far) I would rather see him spend at least a year and half there learning and maturing before we bring him up. No reason whatsoever to rush him and blow his confidence.

Or IF in 2003 though is going to look real sweet with NJ, Sori, DJ and Henson, though. I am definately looking forward to that.

GrouchoNYY
06-24-01, 11:20 PM
Drew Henson was the High School player of the year in 1998. He would have been a high first round pick if teams weren't scared off by the football possibility. The Yankees did well by taking him in round three.

Henson has excelled at A and AA eventhough he played less than 1/2 seasons. I expect him to adjust well to AAA. he may not be ready to begin 2002 with the Yankees but is a good bet to be up before the all star break. much will depend on who the Yankees have to play third next year. (Brosius is a free agent who may not be willing to take a one year extension.) The broken hand has slowed him up. He is anything but overrated.

rajah
06-26-01, 10:40 AM
AMAZING! The Yankees sign one of the finest young athletes in the country with great baseball attention and some fans starting dumping on him after a couple of games in AAA. The guy was All State in 3 sports in high school, basketball as well as the other two. He set the national record for HRs in high school. He would have been the top rated QB in college football this year, perhaps the 31 pick in the NFL draft. He is a very bright and mature young man, with the kind of class that Derek Jeter has. Who do you want to root for? Dumb stiffs like Jeff Nelson? I don't care how much money these guys make. I like rooting for great athletes like Mickey Mantle, Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, and Drew Henson.

mish1019
07-09-01, 04:58 PM
i haven't heard enough about him to have an opinion one way or the other. the contract surprised me, but at the same time it told me someone way up high in the yankees organization thought real high of him. only time will tell if he would be worth it. lets think positive and hope he will be

Bluesexy's daddy
07-09-01, 07:34 PM
I always hope for the best with all YANKEE prospects.

The YANKEE organization has been pretty good at judging talent. Now that George is not forcing all his opinions onto the organization the YANKEES are making good choices. It is always a guess at best, but they have done well overall.

We shall see.

mr.roy
07-25-01, 12:10 PM
With that contract, time is on his side.

Of course the quicker he gets to the Bigs, the better for the Yankees.

But with the length of the contract it seems they will be patient with him.

DandyRandy48
07-25-01, 04:33 PM
And if Drew makes it and does become a star, I will cheer him on like any other Yankee.

RDFiato51
07-26-01, 01:51 AM
What do you have to lose by supporting him (or at least not bashing him) now?

DandyRandy48
07-26-01, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by RDFiato51
What do you have to lose by supporting him (or at least not bashing him) now?

My dignity, respect from others....