PDA

View Full Version : inDemand matches DIRECTV IE's offer

TheScooter
03-21-07, 11:54 AM
Baseball's "Extra Innings" package of out-of-market games might wind up staying on cable television.

IN Demand said Wednesday it will offer to match the terms of DirecTV's $700 million, seven-year deal with Major League Baseball on behalf its owners, who are affiliates of the companies that own Time Warner, Comcast and Cox cable systems.

As part of the offer, iN Demand also said it would carry The Baseball Channel when it launches in 2009 to at least the same number of subscribers who will get the channel on DirecTV.

"As the current home for 'Extra Innings' for more than 200,000 cable subscribers, we have extended ourselves to do our best to be able to continue to provide this package to baseball fans and our customers," iN Demand president Robert Jacobson said.

"This offer meets all the conditions set forth by MLB last week. "

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/03/21/extra.innings.ap/

Jasbro
03-21-07, 12:01 PM
I think the success of this will depend upon whether or not the offer includes carrying the Baseball Network on basic cable. If it will be carried as part of a premium package, MLB will not accept the offer, IMO.

Tribefan
03-21-07, 12:11 PM
Baseball's "Extra Innings" package of out-of-market games might wind up staying on cable television.

IN Demand said Wednesday it will offer to match the terms of DirecTV's $700 million, seven-year deal with Major League Baseball on behalf its owners, who are affiliates of the companies that own Time Warner, Comcast and Cox cable systems.

As part of the offer, iN Demand also said it would carry The Baseball Channel when it launches in 2009 to at least the same number of subscribers who will get the channel on DirecTV.

"As the current home for 'Extra Innings' for more than 200,000 cable subscribers, we have extended ourselves to do our best to be able to continue to provide this package to baseball fans and our customers," iN Demand president Robert Jacobson said.

"This offer meets all the conditions set forth by MLB last week. "

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/03/21/extra.innings.ap/

This is outstanding news. Gotta believe MLB didn't think the cable companies would agree to their offer. If this works out, hopefully my cable company will offer the package and I'll be a happy baseball fan again (a tad poorer but happy). :P

gold23
03-21-07, 12:39 PM
MLB is going to try to wiggle out of this. DTV cannot be very happy right now. We'll see...but let's hope the consumer wins this one, and are "allowed" to spend their $159 to see MLB.

Tribefan
03-21-07, 12:46 PM
MLB is going to try to wiggle out of this. DTV cannot be very happy right now. We'll see...but let's hope the consumer wins this one, and are "allowed" to spend their $159 to see MLB.

:lol: I hear ya. I can't believe I'm that happy about forking over $159 (or whatever the cost will be) to MLB's pockets...but I will...

Yankeeah
03-21-07, 01:09 PM
How does this affect those with iO Cablevision?

knickfan23
03-21-07, 01:51 PM
How does this affect those with iO Cablevision?

In Demand works with them too. You will get the games as long as MLB approves of cable matching the deal that MLB has with DTV.

--

If MLB chooses to accept, they would have made out like bandits. They would have gotten around a billion dollars out of the cable and satellite companies. Gotten their MLB network broad distribution. And still kept most. if not all of their current subscribers. Tremendous work by those guys. That's one of the best shakedowns I've seen since the NFL took the networks to the cleaners after the 05 season.

ojo
03-21-07, 02:08 PM
it'll be interesting to see how many people will be stuck paying $$ to see the baseball network on digital cable, since there are probably at least twice as many digital cable subscribers as there are satellite owners. them announcing they'll 'match' the # of satellite's subscribers seems to allow them to screw some areas over completely.

Tribefan
03-21-07, 03:37 PM
I just read on ESPN.com that MLB rejected the INdemand offer, saying it falls short of what is needed for a deal...I think MLB never had any intention of having the Extra Innings package shown on cable and they are trying wiggle out of inDemand's offer. I'm back to hating baseball again...:(

whalers
03-21-07, 03:38 PM
I just read on ESPN.com that MLB rejected the INdemand offer, saying it falls short of what is needed for a deal...I think MLB never had any intention of having the Extra Innings package shown on cable and they are trying wiggle out of inDemand's offer. I'm back to hating baseball again...:(

same here. WTF

gold23
03-21-07, 04:56 PM
same here. WTF

Directv exploded at MLB today. There are going to be some issues, and apparently IN Demand did fall short of the proposal sent out by MLB. However, they fell short in legal terms, but from a fair business practive standpoint it apparently worked.

Essentially, this was a Congress play. By the law, MLB is on solid ground in terms of what they asked for and how they turned it down. However....it MAY give the government an opening if they decide to take it. A big IF....but at least a sliver of hope for baseball fans.

Workhorse
03-21-07, 07:41 PM
Directv exploded at MLB today. There are going to be some issues, and apparently IN Demand did fall short of the proposal sent out by MLB. However, they fell short in legal terms, but from a fair business practive standpoint it apparently worked.

Essentially, this was a Congress play. By the law, MLB is on solid ground in terms of what they asked for and how they turned it down. However....it MAY give the government an opening if they decide to take it. A big IF....but at least a sliver of hope for baseball fans.

MLB gets a HUGE black eye if a bunch of legalese prevents EI from being on cable as a result of all this. They are being penny wise and pound foolish here.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-21-07, 11:41 PM
I think the success of this will depend upon whether or not the offer includes carrying the Baseball Network on basic cable. If it will be carried as part of a premium package, MLB will not accept the offer, IMO.
NBA TV isn't part of the premium package with the cable companies over here so maybe the same will be done for the MLB channel. So this also might mean I'm getting Extra Innings this season and possibly in the future? I'm trying not to get my hopes up for this, but this is certainly better than the stuff I was reading about MLB EI last week.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-21-07, 11:45 PM

As seen from a post down there, I didn't get this far. I now am pissed at Selig and Co. again and am greatly hoping that the Congress (even if it's not that big of a deal) is able to coax MLB into allowing digital cable companies to carry Extra Innings. They'd make crazy cash if they did it, it's just right for them to do.

Octoberbaby
03-22-07, 01:07 AM

It didn't take long to start hating them again did it? I got my hopes up again for about 5 minutes. Something is rotton in this deal!

Stupid Flanders
03-22-07, 05:42 AM
Pretty soon this package is going to cost $300 (my bad, $299) per year. It just keeps going up

Tribefan
03-22-07, 07:31 AM
It didn't take long to start hating them again did it? I got my hopes up again for about 5 minutes. Something is rotton in this deal!

Not long at all. I did too--I had about 5 friends e-mail me the "good news" yesterday in a span of about a half hour. You'd think MLB would want as many people as possible to have access to their games...instead they expect people to drop their cable, sign a contract for DirecTV (which I don't have access to anyway) and pay more money...

ojo
03-22-07, 09:23 AM
anybody care to venture why cable is unwilling to truly match directv's offer of placing the baseball channel on the basic tier for all subscribers?

YankeePride1967
03-22-07, 09:39 AM
anybody care to venture why cable is unwilling to truly match directv's offer of placing the baseball channel on the basic tier for all subscribers?

A good guess is that it isn't economically desirable for them.

Chuck_IV
03-22-07, 03:13 PM
MLB gets a HUGE black eye if a bunch of legalese prevents EI from being on cable as a result of all this. They are being penny wise and pound foolish here.

Which is exactly(IMO) what In-Demand was trying to do. This was nothing more than a spin by In-Demand. They "say" they are gonna match, but in reality, they didn't and they knew it. However, by MLB rejecting a "close" offer, they(MLB) look even more like an evil empire and will probably garner even more wrath from the government.

For those saying MLB doesn't want this on cable, I say, to the contrary. MLB is looking to get MORE coverage of their product(and more money) and they have found a carrier(Directv) that will do it. This gives MLB more leverage in trying to squeeze thier MLB channel and other things onto other carrier's systems.

Octoberbaby
03-22-07, 11:42 PM
Not long at all. I did too--I had about 5 friends e-mail me the "good news" yesterday in a span of about a half hour. You'd think MLB would want as many people as possible to have access to their games...instead they expect people to drop their cable, sign a contract for DirecTV (which I don't have access to anyway) and pay more money...

There just is no logic to it. They do not realize how many people they are p*ssing off. Nor do they care. How stupid is it of them to think that people can just switch over to DirectTV. I can't either because I live in an apartment and have no terrace. I am sure there are a lot who are in the same boat as me but they are just discounting these people outright.

Octoberbaby
03-22-07, 11:44 PM
Which is exactly(IMO) what In-Demand was trying to do. This was nothing more than a spin by In-Demand. They "say" they are gonna match, but in reality, they didn't and they knew it. However, by MLB rejecting a "close" offer, they(MLB) look even more like an evil empire and will probably garner even more wrath from the government.

For those saying MLB doesn't want this on cable, I say, to the contrary. MLB is looking to get MORE coverage of their product(and more money) and they have found a carrier(Directv) that will do it. This gives MLB more leverage in trying to squeeze thier MLB channel and other things onto other carrier's systems.

The cable companies are making money hand over fist. They couldn't do this if they cared about their customers. There is blame on both sides IMO. Nobody cares anymore about their customers except how to squeeze more money out of them.

Jerkface
03-23-07, 04:03 AM
If any of you read the article, Cable agreed to match the number of subscribers who get the Baseball Channel on directtv. MLB would be doubling their profits and viewership, why turn down the deal?

I am not gonna look it up, but we all know that direct tv has WAY less customers, and I believe for the most part its more expensive already. They can put the baseball channel onto their packages because it already comes with a bunch of channels. Cable on the other hand would have to get 3 providers to find a spot on the basic cable roster(that has like 72 channels) for more than 10 million people.

It is much harder for cable to agree than for directtv, but I still think Cable just cowboy up and get on the bus.

guyfriday
03-23-07, 07:36 AM
Did anyone really think MLB would accept INDemand's offer?

They structured it intentionally so that it would be "unmatchable" by anyone, once again proven that MLB could give a crap about its most loyal fans. It's not the casual fan who cares where the Extra Innings Package is.

I'm pissed because I'm a displaced Yannkee fan. I haven't decided what to do yet.

This site gives a good options rundown: www.screwedbybaseball.com (http://www.screwedbybaseball.com)

(Anyone feel like "hosting" a Slingbox for me??)

RhodeyYankee2638
03-23-07, 11:36 AM
Pretty soon this package is going to cost $300 (my bad, $299) per year. It just keeps going up

I got it the first year it came out, and they froze the price for me at $99, been paying that ever since. Too bad we can't get it now

Octoberbaby
03-23-07, 11:48 AM
Did anyone really think MLB would accept INDemand's offer?

They structured it intentionally so that it would be "unmatchable" by anyone, once again proven that MLB could give a crap about its most loyal fans. It's not the casual fan who cares where the Extra Innings Package is.

I'm pissed because I'm a displaced Yannkee fan. I haven't decided what to do yet.

This site gives a good options rundown: www.screwedbybaseball.com (http://www.screwedbybaseball.com)

(Anyone feel like "hosting" a Slingbox for me??)

I am in the same boat. Are there two potential Slingbox hosts out there? I can't get DirectTV because I live in an apartment. I have a Mac so the mlb.tv will be crappy and may not work at all since my computer is not the newest model. I am disgusted by this whole thing. I was planning to get DTV this year, too.

ojo
03-23-07, 01:18 PM
I am in the same boat. Are there two potential Slingbox hosts out there? I can't get DirectTV because I live in an apartment. I have a Mac so the mlb.tv will be crappy and may not work at all since my computer is not the newest model. I am disgusted by this whole thing. I was planning to get DTV this year, too.

mlb.tv doesn't work well on a mac?

but i thought mac was the best? where's that cool seamless dude on the commercials? you mean the oafy suited guy's machine runs a streaming video app better than mac can? go figure!

RhodyYanksFan
03-23-07, 01:27 PM

The NFL network isn't on basic cable, why would the MLB one be?

knickfan23
03-23-07, 03:16 PM
If any of you read the article, Cable agreed to match the number of subscribers who get the Baseball Channel on directtv. MLB would be doubling their profits and viewership, why turn down the deal?

I am not gonna look it up, but we all know that direct tv has WAY less customers, and I believe for the most part its more expensive already. They can put the baseball channel onto their packages because it already comes with a bunch of channels. Cable on the other hand would have to get 3 providers to find a spot on the basic cable roster(that has like 72 channels) for more than 10 million people.

It is much harder for cable to agree than for directtv, but I still think Cable just cowboy up and get on the bus.

MLB wants their MLB network on Digital Basic, not Analog basic. Everyone who has digital cable has digital classic/basic on their systems. At last count, that was about 32 million people. MLB wants to tap into their network of people and MLB isnt going for it. They conceded a little bit (some of the cable operators) by carring NFL Network on a tier just below Digital Basic.

As far as cable getting on the bus...they stood up to the NFL and they are the most popular sport in the US. They will put their foot down on MLB just the same as long as they can.

Octoberbaby
03-24-07, 01:34 PM
mlb.tv doesn't work well on a mac?

but i thought mac was the best? where's that cool seamless dude on the commercials? you mean the oafy suited guy's machine runs a streaming video app better than mac can? go figure!

There are ways to make it work better but you need to have a newer, faster one than I have from what I understand.

Octoberbaby
03-24-07, 01:36 PM
MLB wants their MLB network on Digital Basic, not Analog basic. Everyone who has digital cable has digital classic/basic on their systems. At last count, that was about 32 million people. MLB wants to tap into their network of people and MLB isnt going for it. They conceded a little bit (some of the cable operators) by carring NFL Network on a tier just below Digital Basic.

As far as cable getting on the bus...they stood up to the NFL and they are the most popular sport in the US. They will put their foot down on MLB just the same as long as they can.

The cable companies are definitely not blameless in this!

knickfan23
03-24-07, 04:33 PM
The cable companies are definitely not blameless in this!

Thats part of the point. They arent. But people are much more willing to protray cable as some sort of victim/underdog in this. They are arguably the biggest profit hogs this side of the oil companies.

In this situation, cable has somehow gotten a portion of the public to believe that if MLB is put on the basic tier of digital, their bills will go up. Thats just untrue. People's bills will go up whether the channel is there or not. Its just cable's way of justifying their "price adjustments". So to me, MLB is more than fair in requesting that cable put their channel where it gets wide distribution, and cable is going to continue being the money whores that they are. Both entities are shady, but somehow baseball is to blame. They each get more blame. That's why they'll keep standing up to NFL and MLB.

Octoberbaby
03-24-07, 05:25 PM
Thats part of the point. They arent. But people are much more willing to protray cable as some sort of victim/underdog in this. They are arguably the biggest profit hogs this side of the oil companies.

In this situation, cable has somehow gotten a portion of the public to believe that if MLB is put on the basic tier of digital, their bills will go up. Thats just untrue. People's bills will go up whether the channel is there or not. Its just cable's way of justifying their "price adjustments". So to me, MLB is more than fair in requesting that cable put their channel where it gets wide distribution, and cable is going to continue being the money whores that they are. Both entities are shady, but somehow baseball is to blame. They each get more blame. That's why they'll keep standing up to NFL and MLB.

I said from the beginning it is the fault of the cable companies. They have been stealing from the public for years and getting away with it. No one seems to monitor them and they always get away with it.

That being said, I don't think people would be as mad at MLB if Bud Selig hadn't made his insensitive and incorrect remark about there only being a few people who would suffer from this. If he cared about the public he would have been honest about the problems with the cable companies and apologetic to the people who got screwed by this deal.

Octoberbaby
03-24-07, 05:26 PM
P.S. I don't doubt that DirectTV will get just as demanding and independant once they have the monopoly because of deals like this one.

mjdlight
03-24-07, 06:27 PM
I said from the beginning it is the fault of the cable companies. They have been stealing from the public for years and getting away with it. No one seems to monitor them and they always get away with it.

That being said, I don't think people would be as mad at MLB if Bud Selig hadn't made his insensitive and incorrect remark about there only being a few people who would suffer from this. If he cared about the public he would have been honest about the problems with the cable companies and apologetic to the people who got screwed by this deal.

Bud Selig...honest? The dude was a used car salesman in his former life :)

But one thing here, let's not focus our wrath solely on Selig, who is only a representative of the people he serves: the owners of baseball. These are real people.

Peter Angelos
Fred Wilpon
John W. Henry
George Steinbrenner
etc.

These people, along with the cable companies and DirecTV, all played a role in this outcome.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-24-07, 10:50 PM

But one thing here, let's not focus our wrath solely on Selig, who is only a representative of the people he serves: the owners of baseball. These are real people.

Peter Angelos
Fred Wilpon
John W. Henry
George Steinbrenner
etc.

These people, along with the cable companies and DirecTV, all played a role in this outcome.
No...it can't be! The Boss wouldn't....:D I just wish something crazy would happen that would allow cable to carry the package again. I don't want to have to sit in front of my computer to watch a game when I could easily watch it on my widescreen.

YankeePride1967
03-25-07, 01:17 PM
The NFL network isn't on basic cable, why would the MLB one be?

I believe it is on Comcast here in Florida.

Octoberbaby
03-25-07, 11:45 PM

Peter Angelos
Fred Wilpon
John W. Henry
George Steinbrenner
etc.

I was just saying that Bud Selig should not have made the comments that he did and people would not be as angry.

ieddyi
03-26-07, 06:59 AM
I just got an email form Dish- I has written them before telling them I will switch to DTV if they don't get the MLB package- and they hinted that they are in negotiations and for me to wait

Workhorse
03-26-07, 08:43 AM
I just got an email form Dish- I has written them before telling them I will switch to DTV if they don't get the MLB package- and they hinted that they are in negotiations and for me to wait

Sounds like they're stringing you along. Don't be shocked if they "break the news" to you in the way of a rate cut in order to keep your business.

ieddyi
03-26-07, 10:42 AM
Sounds like they're stringing you along. Don't be shocked if they "break the news" to you in the way of a rate cut in order to keep your business.

Well, I already have an appointment with the DTV installers, so I've got my bases covered.

DTV also has the golf channel and Versus ( for the tour de france ) on their basic lineup, so I'm switching anyway

Octoberbaby
03-26-07, 10:46 PM

They are so devious. ;)

YanksFanTillDeath
03-27-07, 08:28 AM
I see people switching left and right to D*TV for this... Guess is working...

Hum... I tought football was the "US" stupid sport that everyone can't live without but when D*TV got the package I dont remeber non of these cable company and the goverment fighting for it...
Why would they fight for something that only had 250K subscriptions? like they says that Extra Innings has?

mjdlight
03-27-07, 08:41 AM
I see people switching left and right to D*TV for this... Guess is working...

Hum... I tought football was the "US" stupid sport that everyone can't live without but when D*TV got the package I dont remeber non of these cable company and the goverment fighting for it...
Why would they fight for something that only had 250K subscriptions? like they says that Extra Innings has?

The NFL Sunday Ticket package has always been a DirecTV exclusive, unlike Extra Innings, which was available on cable for a time and then withdrawn, hence the public outcry.

I also think the baseball fan is more emotionally attached to the game than the football fan is to the NFL, but that's just my conjecture :)

YanksFanTillDeath
03-27-07, 12:30 PM
Under pressure from Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), Major League Baseball president and chief operating officer Bob DuPuy agreed to meet with In Demand Networks to discuss a possible deal that could provide the cable-backed program supplier with the league’s Extra Innings package.

The chances of the league cutting a deal with cable operators before Monday -- opening day of the 2007 season -- are slim. But MLB and DirecTV are facing heat from regulators for their seven-year, $700 million deal that will restrict the league’s Extra Inning’s package to DirecTV customers.

When MLB struck the controversial deal with DirecTV earlier this month, it set a deadline of March 31 for operators to match DirecTV’s offer. But in order for Comcast, Time Warner Cable and other operators to secure Extra Innings for their customers, they’d have to agree to match DirecTV’s terms and distribute MLB’s Baseball Channel, set to debut in 2009, on their most widely distributed tiers.

Customers who previously subscribed to Extra Innings when it was available on cable will not have access to the games unless they switch to DirecTV or order a $100 Internet package that would allow them to watch the games on a PC via a high-speed-Internet connection.

Kerry scolded MLB’s DuPuy and DirecTV CEO Chase Carey Tuesday, arguing that the league and DirecTV are more focused on making money than ensuring that America’s pastime is available widely.

“You’re driving for the best deal that you can get -- that may not be the best deal for baseball, frankly, or the fans,” Kerry told DuPuy.

“This was not about maximizing profits for us,” DuPuy countered, insisting that what drove the league to cut the DirecTV deal was a guarantee that it would launch Baseball Channel to its entire subscriber base of more than 15 million customers.

“What this was about was serving the maximum number of fans with the maximum amount of programming,” DuPuy added.

RI Dawg
03-27-07, 01:09 PM
Go kerry!

DontHateOnNumber2
03-27-07, 02:18 PM
Alright! Hopefully Sen. Kerry and the "public outcry" puts on enough pressure to allow inDemand to carry Extra Innings and eventually the Baseball Channel. It's a long shot, but they're better odds than what we had before.

mjdlight
03-27-07, 02:26 PM
“This was not about maximizing profits for us,” DuPuy countered, insisting that what drove the league to cut the DirecTV deal was a guarantee that it would launch Baseball Channel to its entire subscriber base of more than 15 million customers.

“What this was about was serving the maximum number of fans with the maximum amount of programming,” DuPuy added.

This is the kind of garbage that angers me greatly. What a ludicrious statement. We're not children here.

ojo
03-27-07, 03:07 PM
so baseball might have to back away from the best deal available so that cable can keep its modus operandi.

this isn't right.

RIYankeeFan
03-27-07, 04:50 PM
Oh please... That's like this site banning everyone who doesn't use Safari. But because Apple paid big bucks, it's ok to shut out a fan base and FUTURE fans. It was a shady deal to make a quick $700 million. C'mon this is baseball we're talking about here. Not stock options. No company should ever shut out their loyal customers because some idiot with a pie graph said so.

Still want to make $700 million? Do it the right way. Don't give your fans the finger, especially your die hard ones. If this goes through, I hope they vote no confidence in Bud Selig. Just like Disney board members and stock holders did to Eisner as they slowly watched him destroy Disney from the inside so he could make more money.

Stupid Flanders
03-27-07, 05:22 PM
so baseball might have to back away from the best deal available so that cable can keep its modus operandi.

this isn't right.
I agree. I don't have DirecTV but the government is way overstepping its bounds here. MLB is well within its rights to do this.

Stupid Flanders
03-27-07, 05:22 PM
Oh please... That's like this site banning everyone who doesn't use Safari. But because Apple paid big bucks, it's ok to shut out a fan base and FUTURE fans.
Jim has every right to do this without the government stepping in and forcing him to open it up to IE.

ieddyi
03-27-07, 06:36 PM
I agree. I don't have DirecTV but the government is way overstepping its bounds here. MLB is well within its rights to do this.

They are not.

MLB has many advantages because they operate under an anti trust exemption. Because of the nature of the game and it's value to the American people, they are given certain advantages. Those advantages come with some control by the government that wouldn't occur normally.
The government is well within it's bounds to question financial decisions that limit access to the game for many fans.

Octoberbaby
03-27-07, 06:55 PM
Under pressure from Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), Major League Baseball president and chief operating officer Bob DuPuy agreed to meet with In Demand Networks to discuss a possible deal that could provide the cable-backed program supplier with the league’s Extra Innings package.

The chances of the league cutting a deal with cable operators before Monday -- opening day of the 2007 season -- are slim. But MLB and DirecTV are facing heat from regulators for their seven-year, $700 million deal that will restrict the league’s Extra Inning’s package to DirecTV customers.

When MLB struck the controversial deal with DirecTV earlier this month, it set a deadline of March 31 for operators to match DirecTV’s offer. But in order for Comcast, Time Warner Cable and other operators to secure Extra Innings for their customers, they’d have to agree to match DirecTV’s terms and distribute MLB’s Baseball Channel, set to debut in 2009, on their most widely distributed tiers.

Customers who previously subscribed to Extra Innings when it was available on cable will not have access to the games unless they switch to DirecTV or order a $100 Internet package that would allow them to watch the games on a PC via a high-speed-Internet connection.

Kerry scolded MLB’s DuPuy and DirecTV CEO Chase Carey Tuesday, arguing that the league and DirecTV are more focused on making money than ensuring that America’s pastime is available widely.

“You’re driving for the best deal that you can get -- that may not be the best deal for baseball, frankly, or the fans,” Kerry told DuPuy.

Go, Kerry!

I hope he has some success!

YankeePride1967
03-27-07, 06:56 PM
But as John Kerry himself even said, other than looking into the anti-trust laws, there isn't anything they can do about it.

RIYankeeFan
03-27-07, 07:04 PM
Jim has every right to do this without the government stepping in and forcing him to open it up to IE.

But why do it in the first place? It's not about the government playing the role of a bully on behalf of cable. It's why MLB would do this to their fans in the first place. But because cable keeps getting away with raising prices, it's somehow justifiable? Like "haha take that stupid cable and Extra Innings you finally got what was coming to you", then you think oh wait "now I can't see my games unless I switch to DirecTV and sign a contract."

Baseball does have a right to do what they want, but like I said, why would you want to hurt misplaced fans of the game?

Octoberbaby
03-27-07, 07:16 PM
Alright! Hopefully Sen. Kerry and the "public outcry" puts on enough pressure to allow inDemand to carry Extra Innings and eventually the Baseball Channel. It's a long shot, but they're better odds than what we had before.

Let's hope it works.

Octoberbaby
03-27-07, 07:19 PM
Baseball does have a right to do what they want, but like I said, why would you want to hurt misplaced fans of the game?

That's what I would like to know.

Chi-Chi
03-27-07, 07:28 PM
Rudolph Giuliani should have attended the Kerry hearing !!
He would get results !! Chi-Chi

Octoberbaby
03-27-07, 07:41 PM
Rudolph Giuliani should have attended the Kerry hearing !!
He would get results !! Chi-Chi

If he could turn this around I may even consider voting for him. :D

somejerk
03-28-07, 03:04 AM
One of the main differences is that MLB expects the same monetary value from inDemand as it is giving to DirecTv, however it is not returning the same value. DirecTV is getting 20% ownership of the Baseball Channel, inDemand is NOT. That right there shows that MLB's offer is not genuine.

Also, inDemand did not push for the senate to review this, American tax paying citizens like me who mailed letters and made phone calls got the senate involved.

True, the gubment can't force MLB to do anything, but if they remove MLB's anti-trust exemptions some owners are going to lose a lot of money, and others will greatly capitalize on that. Picture the San Jose (Nee Oakland) Athletics taking all of that San Francisco Giants revenue from the wealthy bay area that SF was awarded way back when the silicon valley was nothing more than orchards.

On top of that it could make all minor leaguers free agents. All minor league affiliates could essentially become the St. Paul Saints. The draft could also disappear as well. Since MLB has no salary cap such as available in NFL, MLB, or NBA there could be no salary restriction on the signing of minor league free agents or draftees (if there were a draft). Good luck trying to get the MLBPA to add that in.

MLB has a sweet deal with their current anti-trust exemption, they would be wise not to sour it.

These things may or may not happen, but as long as they are exempt from anti-trust laws these WON'T happen.

mjdlight
03-28-07, 08:27 AM
True, the gubment can't force MLB to do anything, but if they remove MLB's anti-trust exemptions some owners are going to lose a lot of money, and others will greatly capitalize on that. Picture the San Jose (Nee Oakland) Athletics taking all of that San Francisco Giants revenue from the wealthy bay area that SF was awarded way back when the silicon valley was nothing more than orchards.

I wonder how long it would take a team to move to North Jersey if baseball ever lost the anti-trust exemption. :eek:

Cardinal Fan
04-02-07, 06:42 PM
Is there any update on this?

Thanks in advance

YankeePride1967
04-02-07, 06:47 PM
Is there any update on this?

Thanks in advance

On XM's Home Plate this morning, they said MLB and cable are negotiating, even though the March 31 deadline has passed. But they would not negotiate indefinitely.

Octoberbaby
04-02-07, 11:59 PM
On XM's Home Plate this morning, they said MLB and cable are negotiating, even though the March 31 deadline has passed. But they would not negotiate indefinitely.

This was by Larry Stewart in Sunday's L.A. Times:

"TV Talks go into Extra Innings

Despite a baseball-imposed deadline of Saturday, negotiations regarding the Extra Innings out-of-market pay package are continuing, a spokesperson for In Demand said.

In Demand, which is negotiating on behalf of cable television, and EchoStar, the parent company for the Dish Network, are trying to retain the package. If they are unsuccessful, the package will belong to DirecTV exclusively.

According to Sports Business Daily, the discussions with Major League Baseball now include some senior-level dealmakers from Comcast to supplement In Demand's presence. According to the publication, both sides are now characterizing the talks as extremely serioius and baseball sources say chances of a deal are 50-50, although cable sources are slightly more pessimistic."

AlongCameAPrincess
04-03-07, 06:20 AM
Wouldn't shock me if they reach no deal at all. :P Cable is probably waiting for the first week to go by so that people don't get swept into the excitement of baseball's glorious return. You know, all of us Cable people waiting for a FREAKIN' answer to actually know what to do!

My aunt, my neighbor and yours truly are 3 people already lining up for DTV once Cable announces there's no deal. I'm wondering how many thousands will join us, if such the situation ever came to be.

Tribefan
04-03-07, 08:20 AM
Wouldn't shock me if they reach no deal at all. :P Cable is probably waiting for the first week to go by so that people don't get swept into the excitement of baseball's glorious return. You know, all of us Cable people waiting for a FREAKIN' answer to actually know what to do!

My aunt, my neighbor and yours truly are 3 people already lining up for DTV once Cable announces there's no deal. I'm wondering how many thousands will join us, if such the situation ever came to be.

I'm not getting my hopes up again. I hope it works out and if it happens--great, but I have a feeling it's all for show on baseball's and cable's part...

tdel23
04-03-07, 11:34 AM
just got an email from Cablevision, they seem to be doing a pretty cool thing, they said they are still trying to reach a deal to carry EI, but in the meantime they said to sign up for MLB.TV online and they will credit your account $15 a month. At least they are trying.

edit: just read the fine print and in order to get the credit you have to have ordered the EI package last year.

TheThirdMan
04-03-07, 12:06 PM
just got an email from Cablevision, they seem to be doing a pretty cool thing, they said they are still trying to reach a deal to carry EI, but in the meantime they said to sign up for MLB.TV online and they will credit your account $15 a month. At least they are trying.

edit: just read the fine print and in order to get the credit you have to have ordered the EI package last year.

Comcast is doing the same thing, which I appreciate (though if I do it it will be for the higher end package which they will only rebate $90 for...but still fine.) But I am waiting to see how this plays out a few more days. If they do reach a deal I don't want a lot of red tape and arguing with Comcast

Cardinal Fan
04-03-07, 12:08 PM
http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=967&Itemid=52

MLB's self-imposed deadline for the incumbents, iN Demand and DISH Network, has been lifted, according to Eric Fisher of the Sports Business Journal via the Sports Business Daily's "Morning Buzz (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=tdi.main&departmentId=28)".
MLB President & COO Bob DuPuy said late yesterday, "We will continue discussions until we reach a deal or it becomes apparent we cannot."
In the interim, DirecTV becomes the exclusive provider of Extra Innings.
More details should be forthcoming via the Sports Business Daily when the expanded issue runs later today.

Tribefan
04-03-07, 03:03 PM
I called my cable company this afternoon to see what was happening. They said they are still negotiating with MLB and are marking the accounts who had the EI in the past so they can contact us if a deal is reached so we can sign up...why does this seem like Charlie Brown and the football? We'll get so close and then it will be taken away...

TinoFan84
04-03-07, 03:12 PM
I agree, this is terribly frustrating ... once opening week is over and ESPN stops showing so many games, it means I'm stuck watching O's and Nationals until this gets figured out ... and then if cable doesn't get the package I'm screwed ...

Octoberbaby
04-03-07, 03:16 PM

My cable provider, Time Warner, isn't doing anything to appease the fans. :(

Octoberbaby
04-03-07, 03:17 PM
I agree, this is terribly frustrating ... once opening week is over and ESPN stops showing so many games, it means I'm stuck watching O's and Nationals until this gets figured out ... and then if cable doesn't get the package I'm screwed ...

Frustrating is almost an understatement. I am stuck watching the Dodgers and the Angels. If cable doesn't get the package I am also screwed since I can't get DirecTV. :(

Tribefan
04-03-07, 03:18 PM

I hear you. Youngstown is considered (by our cable company) a Pittsburgh market that also offers the Indians. So I get both the Indians and the Pirates. I got the EI to watch Met games and it was cool to watch the Indians games with the other team's announcing crew to get their perspective. But the Pirates? They're not even a real major league team....

mentalgidget
04-03-07, 03:18 PM
I get the feeling a deal will be struck.
Why would MLB lift the deadline? I think that the congressional hearings ended with a stern (albeit not public) warning to MLB that they better give the cable companies a "fair" shake.
There has been what, 2 occasions in the past months where indemand hasn't "met" MLBs requirements yet they're still negotiating after the start of the season? Sounds rather compulsary to me

tdel23
04-03-07, 03:26 PM

wow i'm surprised, it's seems like TimeWarner and Cablevision normally carry the same type of packages.

Tribefan
04-03-07, 03:32 PM

My cable provider, Armstrong, isn't doing anything either.

DCfan
04-03-07, 04:34 PM
Why would MLB lift the deadline? I think that the congressional hearings ended with a stern (albeit not public) warning to MLB that they better give the cable companies a "fair" shake.
There has been what, 2 occasions in the past months where indemand hasn't "met" MLBs requirements yet they're still negotiating after the start of the season? Sounds rather compulsary to me
I want to agree with you, and I REALLY want this to work out, but couldn't the problem be DirecTV? After all, if MLB and cable do negotiate a compromise --- i.e., something short of cable "matching" DirecTV's terms --- that would mean that MLB will be violating the deal it already struck with DirecTV. The problem is that MLB has completely painted itself into a corner.

I fear that there will be no deal with cable.

YankeePride1967
04-03-07, 04:46 PM

I agree. But the one thing I would say to cloud the enthusiasm is that this could be a PR move to say to Kerry and the FCC "look, we did absolutely everything we could do to get a deal done but it just couldn't be done". But I don't think that's the case here.

ieddyi
04-03-07, 05:53 PM
I want to agree with you, and I REALLY want this to work out, but couldn't the problem be DirecTV? After all, if MLB and cable do negotiate a compromise --- i.e., something short of cable "matching" DirecTV's terms --- that would mean that MLB will be violating the deal it already struck with DirecTV. The problem is that MLB has completely painted itself into a corner.

In thier deal with MLB, DTV owns 20% of the baseball channel. Are Dish and Indemand gonna want to send cash to DTV for their baseball channel rights?? I doubt it. Unless they get 20% stakes like DTV did, they're getting an inferior deal

Octoberbaby
04-03-07, 05:59 PM
In thier deal with MLB, DTV owns 20% of the baseball channel. Are Dish and Indemand gonna want to send cash to DTV for their baseball channel rights?? I doubt it. Unless they get 20% stakes like DTV did, they're getting an inferior deal

That would be the outcome when companies get together to create a monopoly for one provider. Things should be equal all around otherwise the consumer is always the one who suffers.

AlongCameAPrincess
04-04-07, 12:58 AM

Truer words....

knickfan23
04-04-07, 08:07 PM
Its time to "play ball" for those with Digital Cable.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070404&content_id=1879904&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Major League Baseball announced today that iN DEMAND has entered into a seven-year agreement in principle to carry the MLB EXTRA INNINGS subscription package of out-of-market games and will distribute the MLB Channel, which is scheduled to launch in January 2009.

mjdlight
04-04-07, 08:27 PM
Its time to "play ball" for those with Digital Cable.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070404&content_id=1879904&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Major League Baseball announced today that iN DEMAND has entered into a seven-year agreement in principle to carry the MLB EXTRA INNINGS subscription package of out-of-market games and will distribute the MLB Channel, which is scheduled to launch in January 2009.

Selig/The Owners get what they really wanted all along: distribution of the MLB Channel on cable. Game, set, match for the Used Car Salesman and his Overlords.

But I'm glad people will get the EI package any way they choose.

AlongCameAPrincess
04-04-07, 09:33 PM
Seriously????? OMG! Me so HAPPY! Actually, happy is too tame a word! :D I won't have to switch! Yay!

Yanks21
04-04-07, 09:38 PM
Thank you God!!!!!!!!

swityak11
04-04-07, 10:45 PM
Awesome news

RhodeyYankee2638
04-04-07, 11:23 PM
when is it available?

chanman7483
04-05-07, 01:03 AM
Does anyone know if Fios will be carrying this? I can't find anything with this info..

Octoberbaby
04-05-07, 01:17 AM
Seriously????? OMG! Me so HAPPY! Actually, happy is too tame a word! :D I won't have to switch! Yay!

All of the above and, YIPPEEEE!!!!!! :D

AlongCameAPrincess
04-05-07, 06:19 AM
All of the above and, YIPPEEEE!!!!!! :D

I know!!! I did a whole cheerleading routine in the kitchen after I found out. Good times.

To echo Yanks21: thank you God!

Ct.Fan
04-05-07, 06:24 AM
Great news...now I can dump that MLB.TV subscription I signed up for two days ago...the one with the lousy picture and shaky connection.....;)

CaptainThurman
04-05-07, 07:06 AM
How does this affect anyone with Dish Network?

Bosox Guy in Chitown
04-05-07, 07:07 AM
Damnnit!

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/

I'm happy that cable gets to keep EI... i'm just pissed that I now have a dish on my roof and a hole in my wall......

*ssholes!

Tribefan
04-05-07, 07:37 AM
I know!!! I did a whole cheerleading routine in the kitchen after I found out. Good times.

Ditto from me! I heard the news driving into work this morning on Mike & Mike in the Morning. I am beyond happy right now!

Tribefan
04-05-07, 07:38 AM
when is it available?

Mike & Mike in the Morning said, according to a NY Times article, that the free preview would begin immediately and then subscribers must pay the $159 for the package.

ojo
04-05-07, 07:47 AM
Damnnit!

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/

I'm happy that cable gets to keep EI... i'm just pissed that I now have a dish on my roof and a hole in my wall......

*ssholes!

how is this not your own fault?

btw, directv is better than cable anyway.

ojo
04-05-07, 07:48 AM
How does this affect anyone with Dish Network?

i've seen elsewhere the talks with echostar are ongoing.

Octoberbaby
04-05-07, 05:39 PM

There is a God after all!! And did I hear something about Free Previews???

If that is true I think I died and went to heaven!

Octoberbaby
04-05-07, 06:00 PM
I called Time Warner and was told that the Free Preview does not start until tomorrow morning and then only for an hour or so to explain the deal. That leaves out today's game. :(

AlongCameAPrincess
04-06-07, 01:54 AM
I'm with you. The wait is painful!

Bosox Guy in Chitown
04-06-07, 07:23 AM
how is this not your own fault?

btw, directv is better than cable anyway.

Oh, I jumped the gun - no doubt (wanted to make sure I had access from Game 1 on...)

Doesn't mean I'm not going to gripe about it. I prefer the service of DirecTV - don't like the cable hanging from the roof and a hole drilled in the wall.

tdel23
04-06-07, 09:11 AM
as of yesterday Cablevision still wasn't carrying the EI package.

Tribefan
04-06-07, 09:11 AM
I called Time Warner and was told that the Free Preview does not start until tomorrow morning and then only for an hour or so to explain the deal. That leaves out today's game. :(

I called my cable provider Armstrong when I got home from work last night. Was told they were still negotiating with InDemand and didn't know when it would be available--possibly a few more days. :( Enjoy your free preview!!!! :)

Cardinal Fan
04-06-07, 11:10 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spmedia065160391apr06,0,6718110.column

Just wondering: Extra innings for 'Extra Innings'

Will Cablevision agree to terms for carrying the out-of-market "Extra Innings" package that several of its larger counterparts negotiated Wednesday with Major League Baseball?

Not necessarily. Said spokesman Charles Schueler: "Cablevision would like to carry the out-of-market games and as an affiliate of In Demand we look forward to speaking with them on the matter."

Hmmm. Sounds ominous, and it might well be for the approximately 11,000 Cablevision subscribers (out of about 3 million) who bought "Extra Innings" last season and want to re-up.

Here's the possible problem: It was one thing when In Demand, owned by Comcast, Time Warner and Cox, negotiated on behalf of the entire cable industry simply to offer "Extra Innings."

Agreeing to widely distribute the MLB Channel, scheduled to launch in 2009, on behalf of another cable company is quite another. Cablevision likely wants to study that part of the deal before committing.

Meanwhile, it will continue to offer rebates for customers who last season ordered "Extra Innings" and now sign up for games on mlb.tv for $89.95.

tdel23
04-06-07, 11:57 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spmedia065160391apr06,0,6718110.column

it's always something with Cablevision...I called today and they said they hope to have it up sometime this weekend, but nothing is set in stone.

Cardinal Fan
04-07-07, 05:09 PM
It appears a deal has been reached with Cablevison

I got off the phone with Cablevision and was told that they're still waiting for the codes but that some areas already are set up with MLBEI.Was told that MLBEI will definitely be on Cablevison and to just bear with them a bit longer.

AlongCameAPrincess
04-07-07, 08:31 PM

I got off the phone with Cablevision and was told that they're still waiting for the codes but that some areas already are set up with MLBEI.Was told that MLBEI will definitely be on Cablevison and to just bear with them a bit longer.

Thank you for this!!

I hope I get to see some baseball before October gets here.

Octoberbaby
04-08-07, 02:44 AM
Thank you for this!!

I hope I get to see some baseball before October gets here.

The games are blacked out on the weekend anyway. Maybe it is different where you are though.

AlongCameAPrincess
04-08-07, 04:17 AM
The games are blacked out on the weekend anyway. Maybe it is different where you are though.

Afternoon Saturday games are blacked out because of the FOX ban, but I've never seen it happen on Sundays. I guess because Puerto Rico has no local team, there are really no Extra Inning blackouts unless almighty FOX intervenes.

Sometimes, though, ESPN games are blacked out (including the PS!) because a local channel is being a bitch and shows the games (same feed, local commercials), which last year almost ends in a law suit. Cablevision of PR had to lift the ban on the games because everyone and their mother was up in arms.

There's only one such channel and the post season sometimes has more than one game at the same time and they could only show one. Fun times those were not.

I've gone embarrassingly off topic. Blah.

gold23
04-08-07, 08:13 AM

Not until Fox starts their Saturday games. Until then, Extra Innings will show a regular and full schedule on Saturdays. Sundays have never been blacked out, except for any night game that is not the ESPN game.

DCfan
04-08-07, 08:31 AM
Not until Fox starts their Saturday games. Until then, Extra Innings will show a regular and full schedule on Saturdays.
Fox started their Saturday games yesterday, so the Saturday blackout is already in effect and will be in effect all season. During the summer, fewer games will be blacked out as more teams have their Saturday games at 7pm.

Octoberbaby
04-09-07, 01:28 AM
Afternoon Saturday games are blacked out because of the FOX ban, but I've never seen it happen on Sundays. I guess because Puerto Rico has no local team, there are really no Extra Inning blackouts unless almighty FOX intervenes.

Sometimes, though, ESPN games are blacked out (including the PS!) because a local channel is being a bitch and shows the games (same feed, local commercials), which last year almost ends in a law suit. Cablevision of PR had to lift the ban on the games because everyone and their mother was up in arms.

There's only one such channel and the post season sometimes has more than one game at the same time and they could only show one. Fun times those were not.

I've gone embarrassingly off topic. Blah.

I was incorrect about the Sunday games. I got the game today.

Octoberbaby
04-09-07, 01:29 AM
Fox started their Saturday games yesterday, so the Saturday blackout is already in effect and will be in effect all season. During the summer, fewer games will be blacked out as more teams have their Saturday games at 7pm.

Correct. Saturday's game was blacked out. I got Sunday's though.

Tribefan
04-09-07, 07:34 AM
Correct. Saturday's game was blacked out. I got Sunday's though.

I'm jealous! I'm still waiting for Armstrong cable to finalize their deal. ARRGGGHHH!!!! I called this morning and was told they are still working on it. Very frustrating...

What did you end up paying for the package?

tdel23
04-09-07, 11:36 AM

thanks for the heads up...just called cablevision today and ordered the package.

WrightIsWrong
04-09-07, 11:51 AM
thanks for the heads up...just called cablevision today and ordered the package.

Are you actually seeing the MLBEI schedule or the same black screen with the "No Authorzation" message?I'm out in Long Island and when I called this morning was told that they were still negotiating.

Smithers
04-09-07, 11:53 AM

what was the price tag? i remember it being cheaper if you ordered it earlier, but i dunno if they're doing that again.

SassySelective1
04-09-07, 11:57 AM

???
Where do you live?
I spoke to them 10 minutes ago and they do NOT have the package yet, and who knows if they ever will

tdel23
04-09-07, 01:58 PM
???
Where do you live?
I spoke to them 10 minutes ago and they do NOT have the package yet, and who knows if they ever will

sorry I spoke to soon, what they sold me was the mlb package on the internet, i just called and cancelled that. The weird thing is on the channel guide it's showing all the games, but they still aren't offering the package. The person I spoke to said they will have an announcement once the sign.

Cardinal Fan
04-09-07, 07:28 PM
from what i understand and have been hearing, everytime I call Cablevision (for 5 days now)one person says it's a done deal and they are trying to get codes in...another says it's not done yet. If you go to the channel line-up it is listing games. My guess is they are still negotiating over the carriage of the baseball network in 09 on a free tier....

And then another rep called my house this afternoon assuring me that MLBEI will be on Cablevision but he didn't know when and tried to peddle mlb.com

I just spoked to another rep at Cablevision. He was a pretty solid baseball fan and seemed to be fairly knowledgable on this mess. He said that it is going to take about 2 weeks to get things up and running at Cablevision. Where he got this info is anybody's guess but I thought I'd pass it along.

Octoberbaby
04-09-07, 11:10 PM
I'm jealous! I'm still waiting for Armstrong cable to finalize their deal. ARRGGGHHH!!!! I called this morning and was told they are still working on it. Very frustrating...

What did you end up paying for the package?

I am just watching on the Free Preview. They charge $159. if you order it early and about $50 more if you don't so I would pin them down as to cost right away if you want to subscribe.

I am with Time Warner so it may or may not be the same for Cablevision, once they get it.

tdel23
04-10-07, 10:36 AM
from what i understand and have been hearing, everytime I call Cablevision (for 5 days now)one person says it's a done deal and they are trying to get codes in...another says it's not done yet. If you go to the channel line-up it is listing games. My guess is they are still negotiating over the carriage of the baseball network in 09 on a free tier....

And then another rep called my house this afternoon assuring me that MLBEI will be on Cablevision but he didn't know when and tried to peddle mlb.com

I just spoked to another rep at Cablevision. He was a pretty solid baseball fan and seemed to be fairly knowledgable on this mess. He said that it is going to take about 2 weeks to get things up and running at Cablevision. Where he got this info is anybody's guess but I thought I'd pass it along.

thanks for the update...I think they will eventually sign the deal just because it is up on the channel guide.

mjdlight
04-10-07, 10:52 AM
Hate to say this, but after dealing with Cablevision during the YES Network fiasco of 2002, I'm experienced with this garbage.

And my rule of thumb would be this: Don't believe anything you hear from a Cablevision employee, good or bad. Ever. Simply put, anyone who is talking to you on the phone from Cablevision is not in the loop. Period. And if they pretend they are, or claim to have actual information, they're lying to you.

Until you see an official press release from Cablevision, assume nothing in regards to EI.

gold23
04-10-07, 11:25 AM
Hate to say this, but after dealing with Cablevision during the YES Network fiasco of 2002, I'm experienced with this garbage.

And my rule of thumb would be this: Don't believe anything you hear from a Cablevision employee, good or bad. Ever. Simply put, anyone who is talking to you on the phone from Cablevision is not in the loop. Period. And if they pretend they are, or claim to have actual information, they're lying to you.

Until you see an official press release from Cablevision, assume nothing in regards to EI.

I'd say this is a pretty accurate summation. Cablevision is quite possibly the worst run customer service department in the area.

Tribefan
04-10-07, 12:29 PM
So has any cable provider been able to sell the EI package as of yet? I called mine--Armstrong--again today and was told that they are still working on it...

Octoberbaby
04-11-07, 02:05 AM
I'd say this is a pretty accurate summation. Cablevision is quite possibly the worst run customer service department in the area.

Don't blame the people that work there. I have heard they are not very nice to their employees.

Octoberbaby
04-11-07, 02:09 AM
So has any cable provider been able to sell the EI package as of yet? I called mine--Armstrong--again today and was told that they are still working on it...

I went to the local cable office for my service provider, Time Warner, and was told if I signed up that day it would be $159 for the season. I said OK sign me up. But now when I am watching EI I still see the crawl that it is a free preview. I plan to call them up and make sure the rep in the office was correct and that I am signed up. You really can't trust any of the people that work for these companies with regard to this deal. I am still pinching myself that they made the deal and expecting it to fall through. As long as they haven't let people pay for it and sign up they can still put the cabosh on the whole thing. I hope not, but, just saying that could happen.

Tribefan
04-11-07, 07:35 AM
I went to the local cable office for my service provider, Time Warner, and was told if I signed up that day it would be $159 for the season. I said OK sign me up. But now when I am watching EI I still see the crawl that it is a free preview. I plan to call them up and make sure the rep in the office was correct and that I am signed up. You really can't trust any of the people that work for these companies with regard to this deal. I am still pinching myself that they made the deal and expecting it to fall through. As long as they haven't let people pay for it and sign up they can still put the cabosh on the whole thing. I hope not, but, just saying that could happen.

We don't even have access to the preview. Hopefully all the paperwork to get EI on the air for us gets taken care of soon.

tdel23
04-11-07, 08:59 AM

yeah i'm still pissed at Cablevision for that whole fiasco, it's so annoying that most major cable companies have agreed to carry Ei package except them.

DCfan
04-11-07, 09:58 AM
Everyone gets that "free preview" crawl during the preview period. I wouldn't worry about it. Time Warner, Comcast, and Cox are all part of "in Demand," so anyone with one of those providers should be able to order EI.

The $159 offer is good until 4/15, at least for those systems that own "in Demand."

AlongCameAPrincess
04-11-07, 02:39 PM
Well, if Cablevision doesn't bend, I'll have to switch over to DTV anyway. And lately, I haven't been feeling that bad about it considering what a bitch Cablevision is.

This is SO frustrating. It's not even upsetting anymore, I'm just freakin' outraged.

Tribefan
04-16-07, 01:04 PM
So frustrating. I called my cable provider again today to see if anything new regarding the EI and there isn't. The guy said they hadn't received an update on the negotiations in over a week. I'm beginning to think we're never going to get it. :enraged:

Octoberbaby
04-16-07, 01:32 PM
Everyone gets that "free preview" crawl during the preview period. I wouldn't worry about it. Time Warner, Comcast, and Cox are all part of "in Demand," so anyone with one of those providers should be able to order EI.

The $159 offer is good until 4/15, at least for those systems that own "in Demand."

I did call them, was kept on hold for about an hour, and found out that I am signed up. They assure me I will be getting it and they billed me for one quarter of the charge so far. I will see tomorrow when I try to watch the game.

Octoberbaby
04-16-07, 01:33 PM
Well, if Cablevision doesn't bend, I'll have to switch over to DTV anyway. And lately, I haven't been feeling that bad about it considering what a bitch Cablevision is.

This is SO frustrating. It's not even upsetting anymore, I'm just freakin' outraged.

I really feel your frustration. I would be livid by now. I don't really care for Cablevision, as my son used to work for them. They are the pits!

Octoberbaby
04-16-07, 01:35 PM
So frustrating. I called my cable provider again today to see if anything new regarding the EI and there isn't. The guy said they hadn't received an update on the negotiations in over a week. I'm beginning to think we're never going to get it. :enraged:

Do you have Cablevision or a different provider?

The only benefit I have seen to having Time Warner since they took over for Adelphia is this EI deal. They are the worst to deal with on every thing else. At least I got something I wanted from them.

Tribefan
04-16-07, 02:40 PM
Do you have Cablevision or a different provider?

The only benefit I have seen to having Time Warner since they took over for Adelphia is this EI deal. They are the worst to deal with on every thing else. At least I got something I wanted from them.

I have Armstrong, which I think (and I could be wrong) has connection with Cablevision...

26 and counting
04-16-07, 10:33 PM
I'm so glad that I'm getting Extra Innings now. Currently I'm watching the Dodgers vs. Diamondbacks, and it's great!

Octoberbaby
04-18-07, 12:48 AM
I'm so glad that I'm getting Extra Innings now. Currently I'm watching the Dodgers vs. Diamondbacks, and it's great!

Who is your cable provider?

Tribefan
05-01-07, 07:36 AM
It's official for me: my cable provider is not going to be offering Extra Innings this year.

I got a form letter from Armstrong yesterday that said in part:

Regretfully, I am writing to inform you that it is unlikely Armstrong will be able to offer the MLB Extra Innings pay-per-view package of games this year...to date we have not been able to negotiate a contract to carry this year's games...
On April 9, In Demand informed us of the details of the agreement [with MLB]. Major League Baseball has significantly changed its demands for distribution rights for the Extra Innings package. These include a very different rate structure as well as several additional requirements. A separate agreement with MLB concerning these issues must be complete before the games could be made available. Negotiations of this type are rarely accomplished in days. Armstrong will continue to work on this issue and hopes to make MLB Extra Innings available to you again in the future...

ARRGGGHH!!!!! So now I'm left with just the Indians and Pirates games and whatever games ESPN decides to broadcast...This sucks. :mad:

26 and counting
05-01-07, 06:53 PM
Who is your cable provider?

Cox..

tdel23
05-04-07, 02:55 PM
Just got a call from a Cablevision Rep, they are now carrying the EI package for $159, it will be available for tonights games.

b-ball-lunachick
05-04-07, 03:11 PM
Just got a call from a Cablevision Rep, they are now carrying the EI package for $159, it will be available for tonights games.

Thanks for the info tdel -- I didn't want to wait for them to call so I did it..now my b/f can watch the Red Sox games and I can actually use my laptop again at times!! :D

tdel23
05-04-07, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the info tdel -- I didn't want to wait for them to call so I did it..now my b/f can watch the Red Sox games and I can actually use my laptop again at times!! :D

cool deal!! enjoy the laptop back :)

Octoberbaby
05-04-07, 11:00 PM
It's official for me: my cable provider is not going to be offering Extra Innings this year.

I got a form letter from Armstrong yesterday that said in part:

Regretfully, I am writing to inform you that it is unlikely Armstrong will be able to offer the MLB Extra Innings pay-per-view package of games this year...to date we have not been able to negotiate a contract to carry this year's games...
On April 9, In Demand informed us of the details of the agreement [with MLB]. Major League Baseball has significantly changed its demands for distribution rights for the Extra Innings package. These include a very different rate structure as well as several additional requirements. A separate agreement with MLB concerning these issues must be complete before the games could be made available. Negotiations of this type are rarely accomplished in days. Armstrong will continue to work on this issue and hopes to make MLB Extra Innings available to you again in the future...

ARRGGGHH!!!!! So now I'm left with just the Indians and Pirates games and whatever games ESPN decides to broadcast...This sucks. :mad:

Oh, that is a bummer. Although, the way the Yankees keep losing I becoming a little sorry I ordered it.

Cardinal Fan
05-05-07, 10:41 AM
I am so happy, yet I am in shock that dlan/cablevision is carrrying MLB xtra innings.

Operator Agrees to Launch Baseball Channel; Renews Extra Innings Deal

By Steve Donohue -- Multichannel News, 5/4/2007 2:03:00 PM

Cablevision Systems agreed Friday to launch Major League Baseball’s planned MLB Channel as part of an agreement to distribute its MLB Extra Innings subscription game package.
The deal came one month after the league struck a deal with pay-per-view distributor In Demand for MLB Channel and Extra Innings (http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6431675.html). Until Friday, DirecTV and In Demand owners Comcast, Cox Communications, Time Warner Cable and Advance/Newhouse Communications' Bright House Networks were the only cable operators that had reached agreements to distribute Extra Innings.
MLB originally struck a $700 million deal with DirecTV in March (http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6430581.html). The deal gave DirecTV equity in MLB Channel, set to debut in 2009.
The league reworked terms of its DirecTV deal after signing an agreement with In Demand’s owners -- which also received an ownership stake in MLB Channel -- and the league has demanded that any pay TV provider that wants to distribute Extra Innings also must widely distribute its MLB Channel.
Cablevision said it will sell the Extra Innings package for $159, offering up to 60 out-of-market baseball games each week for the entire season. Cablevision subscribers can order Extra Innings with their remote controls on channel 900.
Other than In Demand’s owners, Cablevision is the only major cable operator that has agreed to launch MLB Channel.