PDA

View Full Version : Investing in Japanese pitching

Hitman23
12-27-06, 10:57 AM
Basically to me investing alot of money into Japanese pitching: big chance.

I think there's a reason there are only two really successful Japanese hitters in MLB. Simply put, it's AAAA over there. So if that is an accurate thought, I think it's safe to say that the reason why a pitcher may dominant in Japan is because the hitting is a notch (or a half a notch) down. Spending all this money to aquire them is a huge risk. You don't know how they are going to react to big league hitting. I know in the past there have been guys who have come over and completely dominated here as well, but how long did it take for hitters to adjust and make those guys mediocre?

Of course these guys can be coached and they may even adapt to American baseball, but I just don't think it's worth giving a guy a long term, high priced contract when he's never pitched a day in MLB.

Reggie Smith
12-27-06, 11:08 AM
Thanks. Hadn't heard that before....:dunno:

Hitman23
12-27-06, 11:10 AM
Thanks. Hadn't heard that before....:dunno:well, if it's so known why were two of their best pitchers fought for this year? Half the sh*t posted in ITL is redundant anyway. :lol:

What went on this off season was absurd.

Reggie Smith
12-27-06, 11:13 AM
Everyone else has their warts, too. Speaking only for the Sox and Mats, they spent a long time doing their research, scouting, and following his developement. They didn't just throw down $51.111111111111....million on a whim. They felt that he was the best pitcher for the price. Sucks it had to be this year, with the inflated FA signings, but honestly not a lot of other options out there interested me.

Hitman23
12-27-06, 11:14 AM
but honestly not a lot of other options out there interested me.it doesn't excuse spending the amount of money the Yanks and Sox did just to talk to these guys. stupid, stupid, stupid.

Reggie Smith
12-27-06, 11:20 AM
If he pans out the way they hope, they will end up paying similar to what was paid to Pedro. They are anticipating a similar amount of fanfare, with Japenese Zeroes in the crowd like the Dominican flag cropped up. Risky? Sure as hell it is? Stupid? Not a chance.

If you don't like what's out there, then you have to go find something else. Not saying I wasn't shocked by all this, but the more I've read about how long this interest has been going on the more I understand the move.

In 9 months, when the sh** hits the fan, I'll be calling it stupid then :D

Hitman23
12-27-06, 11:28 AM
You can scout all you want but these guys have to face MLBPs to make this kind of money.

I hope it works out as well. Luckily the Yanks don't have money issues wheer this will hurt them.

pWi
12-27-06, 02:29 PM
You can scout all you want but these guys have to face MLBPs to make this kind of money.

I hope it works out as well. Luckily the Yanks don't have money issues wheer this will hurt them.
the Yankees paid the same for Igawa as they wouldve had to for Meche/Lilly. other than the small % hes a bust, his worst case scenario is "projected" somethin like 4.60 ERA, 150-175 IP, 12-14ish wins. which is what those bums put up neways. hes got the potential for much better than that, so its not much of a gamble for the Yankees. Boston paying effectively 18M per yr over 6 for Dice, however, is a huge gamble..and pretty stupid if u ask me.