PDA

View Full Version : Juan Rivera breaks leg in Winter Ball

longtimeyankeefan
12-23-06, 01:40 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061222&content_id=1767390&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

One of the offensive stars for the Angels in 2006 suffered an injury Friday when outfielder Juan Rivera sustained a broken left tibia in a Venezuela Winter League game, the Angels announced.

Ouch

hardrain
12-23-06, 02:21 PM
He was kind of coming into his own too - I hope this won't set him back too far.

donniesrecordholdsup
12-23-06, 04:33 PM
isnt robbie cano playing winter ball ?? thats why i dont want players on teams i root for playing anything outside of the actual season. of course they can play in preseason but olympics, winter ball, the world championships or anything like that, no.

Nome
12-23-06, 05:23 PM
isnt robbie cano playing winter ball ?? thats why i dont want players on teams i root for playing anything outside of the actual season. of course they can play in preseason but olympics, winter ball, the world championships or anything like that, no.

You can't protect everyone from getting hurt. If you're going to get hurt you're going to get hurt. You're as likely to get hurt crossing the street in Manhatten as you are playing winter ball.

Playing winter ball at least sharpens your skills.

Andy

simmy886
12-23-06, 05:25 PM
You're as likely to get hurt crossing the street in Manhatten as you are playing winter ball.

You can't mean that.

donniesrecordholdsup
12-23-06, 05:29 PM
You can't protect everyone from getting hurt. If you're going to get hurt you're going to get hurt. You're as likely to get hurt crossing the street in Manhatten as you are playing winter ball.

Playing winter ball at least sharpens your skills.

Andy so youre just as likely to get hurt playing then not playing ?? i dont buy it. if a player gets hurt during the season there is nothing you can do but if i was an owner i wouldnt want to see my multi million dollar investments (well in this case robbie and melky are making not THAT much but still) getting hurt in some meanginless game.

its one thing if some scrub like luis sojo is doing it but not youre star 2nd baseman.

Nick Day
12-23-06, 05:34 PM
Griffey just broke his left arm..NOT playing. People get hurt playing video games. Playing in the offseason just keeps a player active and in shape. It helps them more than hurts IMO

justinvarnes
12-23-06, 06:04 PM
You can't mean that.

You've obviously never been to Manhatten.

thecaptain
12-23-06, 06:11 PM
He the one that ran into a golf cart when he was with the yankees wasnt he?? broken knee cap ? i hope its not the same leg . He hit pretty well against us last year .. He was aways getting on base... i like to see players we sign do well just not against us...

donniesrecordholdsup
12-23-06, 06:57 PM
Griffey just broke his left arm..NOT playing. People get hurt playing video games. Playing in the offseason just keeps a player active and in shape. It helps them more than hurts IMO
yeah lets use the most injury prone guy ever as an example. might as well bring up carl pavano. "you could get hurt just sitting on your ass". were talking about a normal player like cano.

In Mo I Trust
12-23-06, 10:41 PM
so youre just as likely to get hurt playing then not playing ?? i dont buy it. if a player gets hurt during the season there is nothing you can do but if i was an owner i wouldnt want to see my multi million dollar investments (well in this case robbie and melky are making not THAT much but still) getting hurt in some meanginless game.

its one thing if some scrub like luis sojo is doing it but not youre star 2nd baseman.

You're somewhat more likely to get hurt playing winter ball, but you are also more likely to be able to hone your skills better actually playing baseball over the winter. I have no problem with position players playing winter ball. Many prominent players play winter ball, it has never seemed to be a problem.

yanksconstantino24
12-23-06, 10:44 PM
so youre just as likely to get hurt playing then not playing ?? i dont buy it. if a player gets hurt during the season there is nothing you can do but if i was an owner i wouldnt want to see my multi million dollar investments (well in this case robbie and melky are making not THAT much but still) getting hurt in some meanginless game.

I see your point, and agree with it to some extent. There is (I would think anyways) a greater chance at getting hurt playing than not playing; and I'd be pretty ticked off if a star player on my team got hurt. But, on the other hand, I don't want that player coming into Spring Training next year having done nothing but sit around all off season.

donniesrecordholdsup
12-25-06, 01:08 AM
[quote=yanksconstantino24]I see your point, and agree with it to some extent. There is (I would think anyways) a greater chance at getting hurt playing than not playing; and I'd be pretty ticked off if a star player on my team got hurt. But, on the other hand, I don't want that player coming into Spring Training next year having done nothing but sit around all off season.[/quote
oh i agree with that too. but im sure they work out or have a program or something. which you can get hurt with too since anything is possible but its probbaly a lot less likely to get hurt that way then playing meaningless games.

Nome
12-25-06, 06:22 AM
It's more likely that someone will get hurt doing something he is unfamiliar with than something he is familiar with.

Baseball isn't football. It is not inherantly dangerous.
I wouldn't want my star player getting hurt riding a motorcycle, sking, water sking,riding a wave runner or sky diving, but it is all but impossible to prevent injuries and you can't legislate what he can or can't do.

I don't like the idea of guarenteed contracts from the owners point of view. I don't think a club should have to pay a player when he is sitting an injury caused by an off the field activity not sponsered by the club. But I don't like to see a club control a players total life in trying to prevent him from hurting himself. What would be next? Mandating he doesn't smoke, use alcohol, have sex or another activity that MIGHT take away from his ability to play at a top level.
Let them play ball.

Andy

donniesrecordholdsup
12-26-06, 09:15 PM
It's more likely that someone will get hurt doing something he is unfamiliar with than something he is familiar with.

Baseball isn't football. It is not inherantly dangerous.
I wouldn't want my star player getting hurt riding a motorcycle, sking, water sking,riding a wave runner or sky diving, but it is all but impossible to prevent injuries and you can't legislate what he can or can't do.

I don't like the idea of guarenteed contracts from the owners point of view. I don't think a club should have to pay a player when he is sitting an injury caused by an off the field activity not sponsered by the club. But I don't like to see a club control a players total life in trying to prevent him from hurting himself. What would be next? Mandating he doesn't smoke, use alcohol, have sex or another activity that MIGHT take away from his ability to play at a top level.
Let them play ball.

Andy
i think the stuff you mentioned is a little different. you pay them to play baseball for you and you just dont want them playing in any other type of game. they play 162 games a year. they dont need to play anymore (other then postseason of course). motorcyle riding should be banned for players though, too many of them have ruined their careers already because of it.

destro
12-27-06, 02:54 PM
word is he had a rod and screws put into his leg. can't start rehab for 6 - 8 weeks.